Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy

M_9

Which ones?

Seems petty to name names but whatever.

Jets should have been 6th. 7th at worst.

Frawley at 8th is surely to con AFL house into that Pick 3 compo. His second half of the season was poor. Was not top 10.

Viney at 11th is about 4 or 5 spots too low.

Watts did not have a better season than any of Viney, Jamar, Pedo, or arguably Dawes.

Kent clearly had a better year than either of Terlich or Garlo - granted he only played the 13 games but still.

Main standouts.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

Garland was never right this year. I think this is a classic example of what the loss of match conditioning can do to a player. I'm not too worried about him next year if he doesn't get hurt again.

Agree.

We can just about add him to the Clark/Hogan/Trengove MIA list, so hopefully he'll be another useful "addition" next year.

• Like 2

Seems petty to name names but whatever.

Jets should have been 6th. 7th at worst.

Frawley at 8th is surely to con AFL house into that Pick 3 compo. His second half of the season was poor. Was not top 10.

Watts did not have a better season than any of Viney, Jamar, Pedo, or arguably Dawes.

Kent clearly had a better year than either of Terlich or Garlo - granted he only played the 13 games but still.

Main standouts.

I don't think I agree with any of these. Jetta didn't play the whole season and faded toward the end. I think he did a great job to finish as high as he did.

Frawley spent much of the season as our most effective forward and as they said took the most marks for the year. I know he wasn't great the last couple of weeks and copped a lot of flack, but he had a pretty solid year for us.

Viney at 11th is a great result for him. He wasn't that great this year, he was tough but often ineffective and seems to cause a stalemate as often as a clearance. He showed a bit late in the year, but he's got work to do.

Watts comes in for a huge amount of justified criticism for his inability to stand up to contact, but he played every game, averaged 17.5 disposals, 5 marks and 2.6 tackles a game. Given that he was once again tossed around to wherever we had a hole that needed filling, that's a solid result.

Kent showed us plenty in the last two games, and had a few flashes early on, but he was wildly inconsistent and often had no impact in games at all. I love the kid, but he wasn't great this year. If he can do what he did in the last two matches consistently he will leap up the rankings.

• Like 9

I think he's placed about right.

Didn't have a great year. Disposal is patchy sometimes, averaged fewer clearances this year than last and doesn't really hit the scoreboard.

Never stops going and is Tonka tough but his efforts don't always impact on the game.

Placing 11th in his second year is no slight, and he's only going to improve with more games.

• Like 3

And here, for your viewing pleasure, are the results of the 'Cheesie'. It's basically the Bluey, but based on points per game played, rather than total points.

The big movers are Daniel Cross (moves from 5 to 2 - wow), Neville Jetta (9 to 6 - expected), Jake Spencer (24 to 12 - probably unexpected), and Colin Garland (19 to 14).

Player - Bluey Pts - Games Played - Points per game - Position in Bluey - Position in Cheesie

Nathan Jones --- 311 --- 22 --- 14.14 --- 1 --- 1

Daniel Cross --- 238 --- 17 --- 14.00 --- 5 --- 2

Dom Tyson --- 293 --- 22 --- 13.32 --- 2 --- 3

Bernie Vince --- 270 --- 22 --- 12.27 --- 3 --- 4

Lynden Dunn --- 264 --- 22 --- 12.00 --- 4 --- 5

Neville Jetta --- 191 --- 16 --- 11.94 --- 9 --- 6

Tom McDonald --- 212 --- 21 --- 10.10 --- 7 --- 7

Jeremy Howe --- 220 --- 22 --- 10.00 --- 6 --- 8

James Frawley --- 192 --- 21 --- 9.14 --- 8 --- 9

Jack Viney --- 180 --- 20 --- 9.00 --- 11 --- 10

Jack Watts --- 185 --- 22 --- 8.41 --- 10 --- 11

Jake Spencer --- 36 --- 5 --- 7.20 --- 24 --- 12

Jack Grimes --- 124 --- 18 --- 6.89 --- 14 --- 13

Colin Garland --- 95 --- 14 --- 6.79 --- 19 --- 14

Rohan Bail --- 139 --- 21 --- 6.62 --- 12 --- 15

Matt Jones --- 129 --- 20 --- 6.45 --- 13 --- 16

Mark Jamar --- 109 --- 17 --- 6.41 --- 17 --- 17

Dean Terlich --- 96 --- 15 --- 6.40 --- 18 --- 18

Chris Dawes --- 113 --- 18 --- 6.28 --- 16 --- 19

Cameron Pedersen --- 118 --- 19 --- 6.21 --- 15 --- 20

Jordie McKenzie --- 49 --- 9 --- 5.44 --- 23 --- 21

Max Gawn --- 49 --- 9 --- 5.44 --- 23 --- 22

Dean Kent --- 64 --- 13 --- 4.92 --- 20 --- 23

Alex Georgiou --- 34 --- 7 --- 4.86 --- 25 --- 24

Jimmy Toumpas --- 17 --- 4 --- 4.25 --- 30 --- 25

Jay Kennedy-Harris --- 56 --- 14 --- 4.00 --- 21 --- 26

Jack Trengove --- 8 --- 2 --- 4.00 --- 33 --- 27

Viv Michie --- 22 --- 6 --- 3.67 --- 28 --- 28

Aidan Riley --- 30 --- 9 --- 3.33 --- 26 --- 29

Shannon Byrnes --- 18 --- 6 --- 3.00 --- 29 --- 30

Luke Tapscott --- 8 --- 3 --- 2.67 --- 33 --- 31

Jack Fitzpatrick --- 12 --- 5 --- 2.40 --- 31 --- 32

Christian Salem --- 27 --- 12 --- 2.25 --- 27 --- 33

Dom Barry --- 3 --- 5 --- 0.60 --- 34 --- 34

• Like 3

The other thing of note is the daylight (~20%) between Jetta and McDonald in points per game. I think this is a pretty accurate reflection of reality. I don't think too many would argue that these top 6 were the standout players for the Dees this year.

Player - Bluey Pts - Games Played - Points per game - Position in Bluey - Position in Cheesie

Nathan Jones --- 311 --- 22 --- 14.14 --- 1 --- 1

Daniel Cross --- 238 --- 17 --- 14.00 --- 5 --- 2

Dom Tyson --- 293 --- 22 --- 13.32 --- 2 --- 3

Bernie Vince --- 270 --- 22 --- 12.27 --- 3 --- 4

Lynden Dunn --- 264 --- 22 --- 12.00 --- 4 --- 5

Neville Jetta --- 191 --- 16 --- 11.94 --- 9 --- 6

Tom McDonald --- 212 --- 21 --- 10.10 --- 7 --- 7

Edited by Cheesecake

I don't think I agree with any of these. Jetta didn't play the whole season and faded toward the end. I think he did a great job to finish as high as he did.

Frawley spent much of the season as our most effective forward and as they said took the most marks for the year. I know he wasn't great the last couple of weeks and copped a lot of flack, but he had a pretty solid year for us.

Viney at 11th is a great result for him. He wasn't that great this year, he was tough but often ineffective and seems to cause a stalemate as often as a clearance. He showed a bit late in the year, but he's got work to do.

Watts comes in for a huge amount of justified criticism for his inability to stand up to contact, but he played every game, averaged 17.5 disposals, 5 marks and 2.6 tackles a game. Given that he was once again tossed around to wherever we had a hole that needed filling, that's a solid result.

Kent showed us plenty in the last two games, and had a few flashes early on, but he was wildly inconsistent and often had no impact in games at all. I love the kid, but he wasn't great this year. If he can do what he did in the last two matches consistently he will leap up the rankings.

Jetta did not fade towards the end. His last two games weren't up to the standard he set this year but the four preceding that, he was in the top handful of players on the ground. The coach's award was well deserved and 9th isn't an outrage, but for me he was quite clearly in the top 6 or 7 players in his shutdown role that he executed pretty much on a weekly basis.

It was more than the last couple of weeks that Frawley copped flack. It has been a long stretch of games where he was lazy and ineffectual, which for me overshadows his influence in the early stages of the season. I still think he may have been bumped up the list for other reasons.

Viney ranked in the top four or five for average disposals, contested possessions, clearances and tackles. There is no argument that will convince me he was not in the top 10 players this season. He wasn't great, and he needs to work on his disposal, but so does the rest of the side.

Watts deserves the criticism he gets.

No, Kent wasn't great by any means, and yes he is wildly inconsistent. But was he better than Terlich and Garland? Absolutely.

• Like 1

Really surprised he polled so high - he should be three times the player that he is and has been infuriatingly poor in his endeavor in many many cases

Perhaps the coaches giving him votes indicates there are things about the player that you can't appreciate as a viewer

• Like 1

Really surprised he polled so high - he should be three times the player that he is and has been infuriatingly poor in his endeavor in many many cases

Perhaps the coaches giving him votes indicates there are things about the player that you can't appreciate as a viewer

His repeat efforts, ks ran and high intensity efforts on his GPS data are allegedly in the top 3 at the club.

His disposal is the most damaging on our team, only competitor bernie.

He was incredibly consistent in games and rarely had a poor game, he may have one or two efforts where he is beaten too easily or doesn't go as hard as he should, but ultimately this year he was much improved and deserved the top 10 finish.

• Like 5

Congratulations to Whispering__Jack for tipping the top 5 in order with an honourable mention to DeeZee for getting the first 4 correct . At least most of us tipped the quinella ! The criticised voting system seemed to get it pretty right .

Edited by dee-eee

It was a great night. Loved listening to PR speak. All the boys were very approachable. Dunne's speech was very emotional. Nice to see Chip at the night and might tell us more about him than all the pundits here seem to know. Dom Tyson has had some minor work on his finger not his shoulder. He is a really very nice person and was absolutely thrilled to win the awards. (D.Barrett you are a [censored].) He got a great reception from the crowd. Jack W got a great ovation from the crowd when he accepted his award. Obviously not many Demonlanders there tonight.

Interesting to listen to the praise from the coaches for the work ethic, the ability to listen and the want to learn and succeed of Neville Jetta. He was very humble when he spoke.

Jessie Hogan was gobsmacked that so many fans wanted to speak to him. He thought we may have forgotten about him. As if.

Bernie loves Melbourne and Chris Dawes.

All of the Award winners emphasised to the playing group to enjoy the break but to come back fit and ready for an even harder preseason. There is still a great buy in from the players to Roosy. No mention of any possible assistant coach.

Club should break even or just in the black - a huge plus on 3.5 million in the red.

Food was good.

• Like 13

Should read given he was moved around due to failing to have consistent impact in any of the initial positions he was tried in.

Went wing, half forward, deep forward, half back and finally finished the year back on the wing. Some very good performances - v Saints, v Adel, v Port (2nd half), even v North on the weekend.

He played some games that put him in our top 6 but plenty that had him in our bottom 6. That he was never dropped tells me he was always in our best 15 as Roos shuffled the bottom 7 or so with injury and form.

I'm slightly annoyed that a going through the motions year gets a top 10 finish in the B+F. But then again Bail and Matt Jones didn't do much more and they are around that mark as well.

• Like 1

Grimes and Garland are definitely shockers for me. They both had a terrible year, but the list is definitely a reflection of the coaching group and how they rate the players. It isn't helping our on-field culture when a captain is shanking kicks all over the place and gifting goals to the opposition.

Interesting off-season ahead methinks. What exactly is it about Grimes that makes him fit for the captaincy, other than excellent public speaking?

He trains hard and prepares like a pro. He's leads the guys on the track. He (reportedly) gets around the younger players and helps them settle in. He (has been) a hard and uncompromising player. It's a fine line between positive player who impacts games which is enough for any player to be captain and player who is borderline best 22. Grimes showed as what he can do against Adel when he was istrumental in the win. Unfortunately it was the only time in the season. If Roos thinks he can be an above average player then he should maintain the co-captaincy. If he think the form we saw this year is more permanent then he should resign the captaincy and go with Jones alone.

• Like 1

Would love to hear more about the speeches. Normally I couldn't give a rats about what footballers have to say, but find these pre-prepared speeches at B&F nights tend to bring out the best. Hopefully they get uploaded to the MFC site today.