There has to be a morning after ...

Whispering_Jack

And yet BRFE we're still 17th !!

Im not actually convinced that we HAVE improved a great deal (yet )

You win or lose by the scoreboard. Again, we're still 17th.

BB I think that is too simplistic an analysis.

Had we have lost every game by 1 point and finished 18th, what would you conclude as to improvement? If you then had Hogan and Clark available in every game what would have been the likely result? Clearly they are worth 2 points in every game.

Yes we are 17th but we were competitive in a lot more of our games. We led into the final quarter in 10 games this year. That is 10 chances at least of winning at 3/4 time. That is far improved from last year being at least 10 goals down at the same stage.

IMO we have clearly improved but obviously we have a fair way to go. The off season will have a major impact on 2015.

• Like 3

No RED...I'd contend the reality of improvement is rather simple..results !!

You just have to laugh at the absurdity of Burgan's articles on the club website. They have all the credit of opinion pieces under a totalitarian regime.

"Monday analysis: first chapter over" is the title. The "analysis" is literally a few lines stating that progress has been made but there is a long way to go, and the rest is filled with Roos quotes.

But I guess you know what you're going to get so maybe I'm the silly one for bothering to read them.

You just have to laugh at the absurdity of Burgan's articles on the club website. They have all the credit of opinion pieces under a totalitarian regime.

"Monday analysis: first chapter over" is the title. The "analysis" is literally a few lines stating that progress has been made but there is a long way to go, and the rest is filled with Roos quotes.

But I guess you know what you're going to get so maybe I'm the silly one for bothering to read them.

Ive never read an article on the MFC website

Its just fluff for the not so intelligent fans

My biggest disappointment for the year was the complete failure of Roos to get anything out of our early picks - Strauss, Tapscott and Blease. He got something out of Watts, just not enough and of course Trengove was injured although he was dropped to Casey prior before retiring for the year.

Neeld as we all know was not a coaches bootlace and I hoped that his approach was the reason these guys had faltered. I hoped that a couple could come good and turn into good AFL footballers. But no.

Interesting, in talking to two people involved in FD of other clubs this year Blease name came up. One said he wouldn't have picked him if he had been the last player in the draft and the other said they were stunned when we picked him at 17 as they didn't have him in the top 60. Having said that he did polarize opinions as when I was at the club and Blease was injured there were a lot of enquiries from other clubs about him.

I'm not blaming Roos for this failure by the way, I'm blaming Barry Prendergast. He clearly was seduced by skilful footballers and overlooked competitiveness. Watts, Strauss, Blease, Gysberts, Cook were all early picks who really lack AFL competitiveness. In his defence 2009 was a terrible draft in retrospect and 2008 hardly a good one either.

I share your disappointment on Blease, Tapscott and Strauss. Tapscott could never get injury free and is limited, being short, not quick and difficult to place when available. Blease just never became a true AFL footballer, lacking in fitness and attitude, but who possesses pace and a good goal sense, Strauss just obviously did not impress Roos.

I disagree on Watts. I think he went backwards this year. The dislike for him on here is the clear view of most Demonlanders as a result of his lack of commitment to the ball and the 1%'s. he was a favourite of mine but he has worn me down. I have probably never seen a more scared footballer at AFL level. His inability to take a contested mark even against midgets is unparalleled. His lack of urgency at the contest is unbelievable. His tactic of falling to the ground at every opportunity when there is a contest is soul destroying. Nearly every ex player commentating has seen it and said it. All this from a nice guy who has great skills, something so many of his team mates lack. I could imagine him kicking 3 goals a week at Hawthorn where he would be given the footy on a plate, while he is holding back off his man and there is a turnover. But to me he is just so disappointing in his lack of effort.

I recall gong to a Draft function for the MFC at the G in the Trengove year. I recall being told as we entered the room, I was with WJ, that we wouldn't take Daniel Talia at pick 13 but rather Gysberts and thenTapscott. WJ knew of them and after a short discussion with him I started to feel sick. From what I knew of Talia I saw a 10 year Defender. I was upset for quite a while after that night and now it has subsided to outright fury. I have no doubt if our recruiting was done by a few Demonlanders, in the know at the time, instead of Prendergast, we would have had a football team now.

• Like 5

It was a great season up until the team's 13th match. Then it unravelled. Just a terrible way to finish the season. I expected wins against Brisbane and GWS, at least a win against the Dogs. The team really let itself down.

I told myself at the start of the year and said it here that fewer than 6 wins would be a fail. I'm sticking by that. The team let us down in that second half.

• Like 1

Couldn't disagree more. If you think that close losses are the same as thrashings then we clearly see it differently.

Remind me again how many premiership points that gets you ?

A miss is as good as a mile as they say.

I perfectly understand what everyone is trying to get at. All that says is we've changed. Are we better 17th suggests not .

This season is similar to a polished turd. It's still a turd. You can call it what you like .

The optimism lasted a little longer than usual, but really, the season was shot when we lost to St Kilda in round 1. (missing their entire midfield except BOG Clint Jones)

That and the 93 point loss to West Coast in Round 2, and the easy 5-goal win to GWS in round 3, combined to leave us all in a desperate state of mind.

Surprise wins against inconsistent or out of form teams above us (Carlton, Adelaide, Richmond and Essendon) gave us a glimmer in the remainder of the first half of the season.

But ten losses in a row, with 4 of them by more than ten goals. Nope. Won't do.

This year was a failure, and for me, Paul Roos has put a question mark next to his name.

I share your disappointment on Blease, Tapscott and Strauss. Tapscott could never get injury free and is limited, being short, not quick and difficult to place when available. Blease just never became a true AFL footballer, lacking in fitness and attitude, but who possesses pace and a good goal sense, Strauss just obviously did not impress Roos.

I disagree on Watts. I think he went backwards this year. The dislike for him on here is the clear view of most Demonlanders as a result of his lack of commitment to the ball and the 1%'s. he was a favourite of mine but he has worn me down. I have probably never seen a more scared footballer at AFL level. His inability to take a contested mark even against midgets is unparalleled. His lack of urgency at the contest is unbelievable. His tactic of falling to the ground at every opportunity when there is a contest is soul destroying. Nearly every ex player commentating has seen it and said it. All this from a nice guy who has great skills, something so many of his team mates lack. I could imagine him kicking 3 goals a week at Hawthorn where he would be given the footy on a plate, while he is holding back off his man and there is a turnover. But to me he is just so disappointing in his lack of effort.

I recall gong to a Draft function for the MFC at the G in the Trengove year. I recall being told as we entered the room, I was with WJ, that we wouldn't take Daniel Talia at pick 13 but rather Gysberts and thenTapscott. WJ knew of them and after a short discussion with him I started to feel sick. From what I knew of Talia I saw a 10 year Defender. I was upset for quite a while after that night and now it has subsided to outright fury. I have no doubt if our recruiting was done by a few Demonlanders, in the know at the time, instead of Prendergast, we would have had a football team now.

Spot on Red. The choices made by Barry Prendergast were pathetic. I think it's hilarious that only one of the three coaches plus a couple of stand ins who coached these players is blamed for their failings when in fact, it was our entire drafting, trading and list management strategy from the time Prendergast came until he left that was abysmal beyond belief.

The story about Talia isn't the only one that stood out. Franky31 tells the story of promises made to Rory Sloane that weren't fulfilled. We also could have taken Shuey and Hannebery but the one that still has me shaking my head was when we had the opportunity to get David Zaharakis as a late pick in the 2008 draft as a bottom ager. Sad.

• Like 2

Remind me again how many premiership points that gets you ?

A miss is as good as a mile as they say.

I perfectly understand what everyone is trying to get at. All that says is we've changed. Are we better 17th suggests not .

This season is similar to a polished turd. It's still a turd. You can call it what you like .

I think there has been great improvement. This is not a cause for celebration though - it is acknowledgement of how truly horrible we were last year and how very far back we are coming from. I long for the day when I can measure success or failure by wins or losses. The tragedy is my club is not at this point yet.

Edited by nutbean

I think there has been great improvement. This is not a cause for celebration though - it is acknowledgement of how truly horrible we were last year and have very far back we are coming from. I long for the day when I can measure success or failure by wins or losses. The tragedy is my club is not at this point yet.

In all seriousness all we have really seen is a reshuffling of the deckchairs. It look better, maybe even affords a better view, but the Titanic isnt in clear waters yet.

In a real way, and in a results way , next season really should be a season where we start looking like a footy team.

If we're buying into the notion of "lets all feel good and disregard the scoreboard" then some might be positively glowing as a result of this year.

At best i'd describe it as treading water, but in a much style of arm flapping !!

I expected more from this season. Its just repackaged rubbish in the main, with some nice shiny bits on the box. Thats all

I think it's hilarious that only one of the three coaches plus a couple of stand ins who coached these players is blamed for their failings when in fact, it was our entire drafting, trading and list management strategy from the time Prendergast came until he left that was abysmal beyond belief.

Jack,

I don't suggest that it is just the coaches but do you ask yourself why NOT one of draft selections has gone on to be anything more than a B grader. Are you comfortable therefore that EVERY one of our selections has been wrong ? Or would place some weight on how our club has been bereft of professional coaching and development, poor facilities, poor administration and most importantly poor middle to aged players to set standards on and off the field, to show leadership and protect and nuture our young talent.

Look at how Gunston at Hawthorn had two years as the third tall behind Roughy and Buddy - yet we are praying for miracles from Jesse Hogan year one.

My read on the morning after is that Roos and co have spent the year determining what sort of list to build and deciding who cannot take us there. Unlike the saints we haven't sacked anyone yet but I see a few out of contract players getting the bad news Wednesday. The pre season sounds like a horror movie and one that will test the mental strength of many. I accept that from an improved 4 and 9 halfway that we fell away badly in the last 9 and that was due to lack of pre season for some and chance testing of others.

One of the earlier posts got it spot on when stating the shortcomings of so of our better players i.e. Viney needs to learn to stop ducking his head, get a right foot and get more penetration with his kicking (no knock on Viney but he needs to take the next step). I am sure there is a dossier on each player and this is where the improvement and development must come. While I am surprised that some contracts were extended the club needs solid citizens to hold firm and develop a good culture while the young guns develop. I hope the assistance asked for by PJ returns an extra pick in the 20's as a look back at recent drafts have shown that many of the better footballers have come in this region.

• Like 1

Poseidon Adventure - Bourke Street cinemas, early 1973.

Towering Inferno - Russell Street cinemas, around Easter 1975.

(Earthquake - Bourke Steet cinemas, 1975 - IN SENSURROUND!!)

Pretty sure both Earthquake and Towering Inferno came out in 74.

Saw all 3 films as a terrified kid!!

Now they make me laugh!!

Posiedon is actually a good flick. The others cashed in.

• Like 1

Pretty sure both Earthquake and Towering Inferno came out in 74.

Saw all 3 films as a terrified kid!!

Now they make me laugh!!

Posiedon is actually a good flick. The others cashed in.

Ernest Borgnine,Shelley Winters,Karen Carpenter.

Awesome flick.

gene Hackman too

An A Grade cast.

Sorry ,Forgot Gene .

one of the greatest ever in my book.

• Like 1

At the mid point of the season, I was so up, it wasn't funny.

The run home sent my feelings into a downward spiral.

I cancelled my direct debit membership after the GWS game.

I'll probably re-sign after we have another off season recruiting bonanza.

It will all come down to can we kick winning scores.

Scoring 1 or 2goals at halftime will p155 me off.

AAAARH those were the days! If a sheila accepted your invite to the Drive In you were better than half a chance to score. Plus you could drink pizz and fart loudly.

Hope you wound down the window on the Sandman,or was it a KINGSWOOD?