Max Gawn's knee

Wrecker45

After two reconstruction and now another problem it appears to me the big Max will probably not have a long future in the game.

At best he is now IMO a player with a limited future.

I find it hard to believe he will be playing AFL in three years time.

We need King to come on in the next couple of years

Our Ruck stocks now look like

Jamar At the end another year perhaps.

Spencer Similar to Max has had a number of serious injuries

King young and who knows probably needs 2 -3 years at Casey.

Does not look good to me!!

• Like 1

How much of a delay will he have? With the mandatory rest break would it be about 4 weeks?

6 weeks " leave" for all players, so Max would miss an additional 4 weeks, all going well. So should be right by mid-late November.

However, he won't be able to run for a good portion of that time, so he will lose a lot of fitness.

But...better position than last year, and could have been a lot, lot worse if the ACL was torn.

• Like 1

After two reconstruction and now another problem it appears to me the big Max will probably not have a long future in the game.

You're a real glass half full kinda guy old dee (insert smiley emoticon)

• Like 2

I kinda like Max. He's just starting to step up a bit .....and then this. I can't help but think similarly to OD and wonder if this just isn't a little too ominous.

These sort of injuries have a nasty habit of revisiting.. I hope he can play for years as previously suggested he starting to come into his game a bit and he , i think, has the right demeanor. I suppose we'll know better come the end of the pre season.

Shaun Rehn had 3 knee re-co's and still managed an outstanding career. A bit early to be preparing Max's obituary

Shaun Rehn had 3 knee re-co's and still managed an outstanding career. A bit early to be preparing Max's obituary

Not to mention Sandilands who has had two recos and Jay Schulz who has had one.

hope youre right

Eh, most clubs have 3-4 ruckmen, i't'll be easy to land someone who's at least serviceable.

I caught up with Max at the Bluey Night and he's upbeat about things even though it's only days since his surgery. Naturally, he's on crutches and while I was concerned about him going up on stage to collect his award, the reality is that with two ACL's and now this damage to his meniscus, he's used to getting around that way. The good news is that he won't be on crutches long and expects to be able to start running in four weeks' time. And if all goes well with his rehab, he will only miss one or two weeks of full on pre season training but hopefully will be able to keep his fitness levels during the period of recuperation from the injury.

Apart from that, in keeping with the Paul Roos philosophy of not looking back and moving forward, the beard's gone and he's clean shaven.

The speech he gave also showed a mixture of good humour and signs of growing responsibility. Let's hope that he can step up and become a top notch ruckman in the near future because we need one or two of them as the Russian moves into the last stages of his career.

• Like 4

Play him as a deep foward with a ruck chop out - we need to trade for a ruckman .

At least during the early stages of his career (he has still only played 26 games).

KM over on BF made a good point (even though most players' he cites as successes are a different generation of ruckman), in that the one's who went on to have good careers started theirs predominantly as a forward, allowing them to slowly be introduced to the ruck role whilst also adjusting to the physicality and rigours of AFL for a big man. This also allows for the big guys time to develop their bodies properly and not rush their size development.

Guys who have been thrust into the thick of it early like a Naitanui, Luenberger, Kreuzer, Cordy, Grundy and Goldstein have developed ongoing injury issues early into their careers.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1