GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

I cannot believe I am reading this.

If there is any truth to this, this genuinely constitutes a dog act the likes of which is unparalleled in AFL in recent memory.

Would have to agree. The comparable one is our previous #1 p-ick. Doubt I will forgive him for lying to my avatar but a mitigating factor for him was the draft system forced him into a two year contract and AFL rules prevented him from being open. In MC's case the decisions and events are in his control.

Yes, if MC is being offered to Vic clubs (presumably with his knowledge) then it would be the worst in AFL history.

Is it possible that this is a ploy to ensure we get our PP?

Clark, management and co don't make official statements to say he wants back to the club. AFL thinks "Melbourne screwed again, probably can't deny them a PP now".

Then after we are told we are getting one Clark says he wants to return to Melbourne?

GNF did say we'll go out of our way to deny his return to take the pressure off...

• Like 1

Clark, management and co don't make official statements to say he wants back to the club. AFL thinks "Melbourne screwed again, probably can't deny them a PP now".

Then after we are told we are getting one Clark says he wants to return to Melbourne?

GNF did say we'll go out of our way to deny his return to take the pressure off...

If that happens I will be the first to admit to egg-on-face and eat humble pie.

I'm guessing that the hooha around this and the limelight he is getting (and will get forever more if he plays for another Vic club) may be enough for him to decide a comeback isn't worth the risk to his fragile mental health (which I do believe was genuine).

I think we're looking way too much into it.

The media names who have commented so far aren't known for their accuracy or reliability, they remind me of a Kyle Sandilands type 'shock jock.'

King constantly throws wild predictions out there, in the hope he one day correctly guesses an outcome and can stand there with a smug 'I told you so' look on his face.

Damien 'the story breaker' Barrett is no better, we all know just how terrible he is, double this with his apparent dislike of the MFC and you're going to get rubbish every time he hears a whisper of a rumour.

There's way too many 'ifs' being thrown up, there's no way I'm going to slander Clark until we hear something official. I don't think it's worth getting so worked up about something that hasn't happened yet and is pretty much baseless.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

Great story 'Jaded' but wouldn't think it plausible.

• Like 1

If there is any truth to this, this genuinely constitutes a dog act the likes of which is unparalleled in AFL in recent memory.

It would be on par with Scully (I would have taken the money in his position too...) and Mal Michael, who retired from Brisbane at 29 (and with a year left on his contract?) then signed for the bombers 6 weeks later.

Is it possible he has been speaking to the AFL because he needs to be able to come back slowly and see how it affects his health. To do that he may need to get a club some dispensation from the list requirements rather than have him take a full place on a list when the outcome of a return still remains uncertain.

My optimistic soul thought this too, but I wasn't sure if it was possible with respect to the timing of steps in the process. Anyone know?

He wouldn't have cooked up this depression thing to get out of the club. He would have asked for a trade.

If over the course of the last 5 months he came to the conclusion that he'd like to play for another club, well, that sucks, but all we can do is orchestrate a suitable trade and move on.

• Like 1

No not you,I thought you were compassionate enough to maybe understand the last year of mitchs life.

Ive just recovered from a similar fate and its agonising to go through.

If Mitch feels better in another place i completely understand.{spewing all the same}

But we need to appreciate the circumstances of mitchs inner thoughts.

Lets be fair on this subject.

• Like 1

No not you,I thought you were compassionate enough to maybe understand the last year of mitchs life.

Ive just recovered from a similar fate and its agonising to go through.

If Mitch feels better in another place i completely understand.{spewing all the same}

But we need to appreciate the circumstances of mitchs inner thoughts.

Lets be fair on this subject.

Inclined to agree Jazza though in fairness Ron used 'if', a word that's magically disappeared from a lot of other posters' conclusions.

• Like 2

Maybe speaking to the AFL about the steps required to come back to playing after announcing his retirement, im sure you cannot just say im retiring then turn around and say haha tricked you! He and his management probably had similar discussions with the AFL before he retired also.

Even if Clark does stay, what are the chances of him getting back to how he was before? He's coming from a long way back physically and mentally, and he's been out of the game for two years - this from a guy who was never exactly robust to begin with.

There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before I get upset. Clark going won't be the trigger point for me.

• Like 2

Even if Clark does stay, what are the chances of him getting back to how he was before? He's coming from a long way back physically and mentally, and he's been out of the game for two years - this from a guy who was never exactly robust to begin with.

There's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before I get upset. Clark going won't be the trigger point for me.

Will still be top 5 at the club if he walked back tomorrow after 2 years out injured.

Lets not kid ourselves.

Had Clark played this year, we would have won at least 3-4 more matches. He would have made us twice as good.

Roos said he was our best player and he was right. If he's fit, and his foot is fine, which by all reports it is, he would be a walk up start at any club and would be a very good player.

Of course he is a risk, and depression is not something you just 'get over', but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that he wouldn't be a massive loss if he goes somewhere else.

• Like 8

The parting shot in Roos B+F speech is really startling now. I don't think that was aimed at Frawley. Even when he leaves Roos will be supportive. He's said all year he understands the players rights in free agency and it's how the game is evolving etc etc. That was aimed at Clark.

• Like 1

The parting shot in Roos B+F speech is really startling now. I don't think that was aimed at Frawley. Even when he leaves Roos will be supportive. He's said all year he understands the players rights in free agency and it's how the game is evolving etc etc. That was aimed at Clark.

The Melbourne Best & Fairest has become a stage to take potshots at players who have left or will leave.

• Like 3

One can never know all that is happening behind the scenes but maybe we should consider PJ's request to the AFL for special assistance and pre planning for this event. PJ never said we want a priority pick he requested special assistance which could even be a 2nd rounder or special consideration if Mitch wants to return but not with us. Wheels moving within wheels and frankly if he doesn't want to play with us then do our best to get compensation

Well they could pick him up in the PSD if it gets to that point.

Then it sounds like PJ's 'special assistance' is required. Given the AFL's justification for no PP last year (#11), you'd think PJ would have them in a corner. But then this is the AFL...

Ha! This just gets even more comical. It originally sounded like Mitch wanted to leave the Dees to chase finals success. Good luck at the Saints. They're in a bigger poop than us.

But it is consistent with the 'clean break in new surroundings is required' argument. Depends which rumour you believe.

Assumptions to the right, assumptions to the left. Into the valley...