Melbourne asks for draft assistance

dees189227

But I despise the fact that we have gone begging for one.

We haven't gone begging for one.

There is an AFL rule relating to PP's and you have to make a submission as to why you deserve one under the criteria. All we have done is follow the rules.

Pity some other clubs don't follow the rules and stop signing up our players a year before they are allowed to.

• Like 6

Kingy’s argument for assistance for teams at the bottom as good as any I’ve seen in the media. For all of the hyperbole about the clubs at the bottom being responsible for their position and embarrassment around asking for handouts, I’ve not actually seen any constructive suggestions for how clubs at the bottom are supposed to get better under current ‘equalisation’ measures.

If we qualify for priority selection under the formula, that’s it, end of story. The tanking investigation and outcome doesn’t belong in this conversation, because that was dealt with. Done. The club paid it’s penalty, the footy media needs to move on, not raise it whenever it suits their narrative. I don’t believe the penalty included ‘denial of future draft assistance because it will be a bad look’.

Current requirements and assistance should be addressed on its own merits.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/acquisition-of-talent-to-help-clubs-propel-up-afl-ladder-needs-urgent-addressing-writes-david-king/story-fni5ezm8-1226967855499

• Like 2

Kingy’s argument for assistance for teams at the bottom as good as any I’ve seen in the media. For all of the hyperbole about the clubs at the bottom being responsible for their position and embarrassment around asking for handouts, I’ve not actually seen any constructive suggestions for how clubs at the bottom are supposed to get better under current ‘equalisation’ measures.

If we qualify for priority selection under the formula, that’s it, end of story. The tanking investigation and outcome doesn’t belong in this conversation, because that was dealt with. Done. The club paid it’s penalty, the footy media needs to move on, not raise it whenever it suits their narrative. I don’t believe the penalty included ‘denial of future draft assistance because it will be a bad look’.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/acquisition-of-talent-to-help-clubs-propel-up-afl-ladder-needs-urgent-addressing-writes-david-king/story-fni5ezm8-1226967855499

Acquisition of talent to help clubs........ ( fox )

for those not paying the Hun :)

• Like 1

free agency is a disaster

Just another example of the AFL wanting to americanize our once great game

I think you are wrong on this one hh

This is driven 100% by the Players Union the AFL fought this one for a number of years.

Great article. Obviously cares about the game and not just his own team.

• Like 2

Not giving us a pp is like comparing how well 18 kids read and then not giving any extra help to the kid who sucks at reading, whilst telling him its his own fault.

Sounds like the nuns at the primary school I went to

Personally, I hope we don't get a PP.

That way when Essendon are 20 players down next season, we can argue against any sort of AFL sanctioned relief because "it was their mistake, they should deal with it. Also they'd probably just inject new players with drugs anyway, so what's the point?"

Seriously the argument against our getting as PP is weak as [censored]. The only reason we won't get one will be the AFL bowing to public opinion again. If that's how it's played, then Essendon can die by the sword too.

• Like 3

It really is funny the way they conduct these polls on whether we should get a PP. What result do they expect when there are supporters of 17 other teams voting?

I would be shocked if they ever produced a result that the fans think we should get a PP.

Hungry did another one on his show today after Patrick Smith called him an idiot, for not seeing that Melbourne needed and qualified clearly under the rules for one. Smith was very strong on saying we should get one under the current rules and just to improve the competition.

• Like 4

Yeah I hate this notion of "begging" that is being peddled by Barrett and other simpletons / haters of the MFC.

I would have thought it is incumbent on the administration of a footy club to actively do everything it can within the rules of the game to improve the club.

Seeking a PP is doing no more than that.

Rather than "begging", I would almost take the opposite view and claim that failure to seek the PP in our position could even be viewed as a breach of the board's duties to act in the best interests of its members.

These journos are the same ones who publicly advocated tanking to get a PP back in the mid to late 2000s, yet now it is "begging" and "weak" for the MFC to simply ask for a PP that it is entitled to under the rules.

• Like 5

Hungry should stick to golf. Hes done more than most to bugger up footy

Tatu, you've had a lot of likes..... (Censored) OFF!

pffft... Cheap jab...lol...

I would prefer to draft in an astablished player or players, rather than wait the time it would take to develop a draftee... Of course I'm all for taking a PP, if thats all thats on offer... I just believe there could be a quicker way to help struggling clubs

Apparently Evans on radio tonight said we will not be getting a PP?

Evans is a total [censored], since when was he on the commission. He is an employee and should shut up and do his job. It's all there for us to see how poorly he's performed this year. Maybe he can start with goal review, a simple task to fix that his simple mind might be up to.

• Like 2

It really is funny the way they conduct these polls on whether we should get a PP. What result do they expect when there are supporters of 17 other teams voting?

I would be shocked if they ever produced a result that the fans think we should get a PP.

Hungry did another one on his show today after Patrick Smith called him an [censored], for not seeing that Melbourne needed and qualified clearly under the rules for one. Smith was very strong on saying we should get one under the current rules and just to improve the competition.

With the voting polls attached to negative articles by Barrett.

Just so then he can later justify his uneducated rants - like he is writing for the people.

Barrett is a small minded person, he doesn't know football and he doesn't understand what is best for the game.

Opposition supporters think with their emotions as to why MFC shouldn't get a priority, they fail to see the big picture and the good of the game.

See old Purple Helmut is at it again echoing the prevailing opinion and making it his own. Never had an original thought. Make an excellent politician.

i don't understand why everyone so against it, i mean Roos is going to, trade it anyway, so that means one of the top teams have got a chance to get a pic in a top for life by trading away a good quality player.

Top 10 picks currently on our list.

Watts

Trengove

Toumpas

Hogan

Viney (would've gone top 10)

Salem

Over the years

Sylvia (priority)

McLean

Morton

$cully (priority)

Just outside flops

Gysberts (11)

Cook (12)

No wonder practically every other club supporter tells us to stick our request for a priority pick. Talk about wasting your opportunities.

That's not the point though, mate.