Ryan O'Keefe

dazzledavey36

Age is not fair, I think if he passed a robust examination a playing coach in the VFL would be perfect and every so often he could sub for Cross. Cross is a bloody miracle with how well he is playing especially with how often he goes 'inside'. I met a few of the Sydney guys when my brother was playing up in NSW and I thought they were robust, I wouldn't mind a few and he has covered himself in glory. I reckon he'd find the fire for a few games as well when we had key outs, him or Blease, who would you take, even at 34?

If he was playing coach in the VFL that's where I would see him and not on our AFL list.

A lot of people thought Chappy had most of his good playing days behind him and he has been on fire.

Chappy started with a bang then went quiet for a while, had a better game against GWS as he should.

There is no doubt in my mind his best playing days are behind him.

If he was playing coach in the VFL that's where I would see him and not on our AFL list.

Chappy started with a bang then went quiet for a while, had a better game against GWS as he should.

Would he be in our current best 22 - absolutely.

For me its worth it if he doesn't take the spot of a long-term prospect.

I'd only offer up a late pick for him (one that we probably wouldn't use anyway), this is assuming we lose Frawley as i wouldn't want to weaken any compensation we would get.

I'd give him a one-year contract and then see in a year's time if he is good to go around for another year. He could always be offered a coaching position afterwards, as he had long been coached by Roosy.

• Like 1

...and of course that's what he would be doing. Cross is enough.

Do you see a place for Blease, Bail, Tapscott, Mackenzie, Strauss, Clisby, Byrnes or Fitzpatrick in the future?

I know they are all play varying positions but I think there is room.

Toumpas and Salem have a way to go. He could be what Rodan was for Viney last year (replacement for when they cant play)

As I said before, its interesting.

Do you see a place for Blease, Bail, Tapscott, Mackenzie, Strauss, Clisby, Byrnes or Fitzpatrick in the future?

I know they are all play varying positions but I think there is room.

Toumpas and Salem have a way to go. He could be what Rodan was for Viney last year (replacement for when they cant play)

As I said before, its interesting.

You had to mention this? I think Rodan was a really good guy but I was never a fan, he wasted a position on the list and was a big mistake. O'Keefe has been a quality player unlike Roden but at this stage of his career and this stage of our development he would take up space on the list that we can't afford. Besides which I think he will retire anyway.

I'd only offer up a late pick for him (one that we probably wouldn't use anyway), this is assuming we lose Frawley as i wouldn't want to weaken any compensation we would get.

I'd give him a one-year contract and then see in a year's time if he is good to go around for another year. He could always be offered a coaching position afterwards, as he had long been coached by Roosy.

I wouldn't take him and even if I did it would be as a delisted free agent. There is no way known we would offer up a pick for him.

I've explained my position enough on this enough now.

Ryan OKeefe will be delisted this year. He will go to whichever club he wants without a trade.

I am not sure of the rule on whether delisted players taken, weaken your free agent loss compensation. I would be pretty confident that it doesn't and is irrelevant. Only Free Agents taken should affect Free Agent loss compensation.

FWIW, Ryan is probably slower than me.

Edited by Redleg

Ryan OKeefe will be delisted this year. He will go to whichever club he wants without a trade.

I am not sure of the rule on whether delisted players taken, weaken your free agent loss compensation. I would be pretty confident that it doesn't and is irrelevant. Only Free Agents taken should affect Free Agent loss compensation.

FWIW, Ryan is probably slower than me.

DFA is irrelevant to FA compensation.

You had to mention this? I think Rodan was a really good guy but I was never a fan, he wasted a position on the list and was a big mistake. O'Keefe has been a quality player unlike Roden but at this stage of his career and this stage of our development he would take up space on the list that we can't afford. Besides which I think he will retire anyway.

I wouldn't take him and even if I did it would be as a delisted free agent. There is no way known we would offer up a pick for him.

I've explained my position enough on this enough now.

Why shouldn't I be able to mention Rodan considering what we are talking about? It's the same situation isn't it?

What position was he wasting? Was there someone else better?

In my view he wasn't taking up any spots. Who whould you rather have kept?

Morton?

Gysberts?

Martin?

Petterd?

Bate?

Bennell?

Cook?

Sheahan?

Viney wasn't going to play every game, and in a team with a lack of leaders (Moloney and Rivers leaving) I think Rodan it was a good decision.

I don't think he was the best player, neither Byrnes, but similarly ROK would still be in our best 22 whilst some of the list gets restructured and some young draft picks are developed.

Edited by PJ_12345
  • Like 1

Why shouldn't I be able to mention Rodan considering what we are talking about? It's the same situation isn't it?

Morton?

Gysberts?

Martin?

Petterd?

Bate?

Bennell?

Cook?

Sheahan?

Viney wasn't going to play every game, and in a team with a lack of leaders (Moloney and Rivers leaving) I think Rodan it was a good decision.

I don't think he was the best player, neither Byrnes, but similarly ROK would still be in our best 22 whilst some of the list gets restructured and some young draft picks are developed.

Look, my argument is we have Cross and we don't need another. He will be here a couple of years and hopefully stick around a bit longer, we really don't need O'Keefe now. We certainly did last year.

I'm not a fan of Rodan the footballer and that's all I will say on that.

Look, my argument is we have Cross and we don't need another. He will be here a couple of years and hopefully stick around a bit longer, we really don't need O'Keefe now. We certainly did last year.

I'm not a fan of Rodan the footballer and that's all I will say on that.

Fair enough.

You know where I stand too so nuff said

Morton?

Gysberts?

Martin?

Petterd?

Bate?

Bennell?

Cook?

Sheahan?

Tom Langdon from Collingwood got passed up for the entire draft, if we took him instead of Rodan we'd have a very nice mid sized back flanker right now! It's not whose spot it's the allocation of spots for players who will only be around for so much longer and can only play at such level.

ROK would be best 22 but I don't think he has the speed to play well as a forward anymore. He's an inside midfielder. In that role we have Jones, Tyson, Cross, Viney and Vince and we already aren't quick. You'd add ROK in and play Viney more forward and Vince more outside but you wouldn't get a significant improvement. It would also shuffle McKenzie, Riley and Michie back down to que. And I don't know about you but I'm pretty keen to see more of Riley and Michie, both of whom need game time to see if they can make the leap from good VFL players to AFL players.

If ROK could be a significant upgrade over Bail and Matt Jones as outside mids I'd have him in a flash but I think his pace is gone and he wouldn't be. If he could be better than Watts, Salem, Kent and JKH at half forward then I'd be keen as well. It's interesting as to whether he could do that job. There are some pretty handy slow half forwards (Bartel is one at Geelong) but usually speed is vital especially with the delivery we get.

I'm always interested in list balance across positions. I've always thought you should have an old guy and a young guy across the areas of a ground so you are developing and having experience. Cross made sense because Rodan was a failure as an inside mid. We have a mature ruck, some mature inside mids, a lot of the backline that's got some experience, mature big forwards. I'd be much more interested in ROK if I felt he could be the experienced player we need to replace Byrnes.

Tom Langdon from Collingwood got passed up for the entire draft, if we took him instead of Rodan we'd have a very nice mid sized back flanker right now! It's not whose spot it's the allocation of spots for players who will only be around for so much longer and can only play at such level.

ROK would be best 22 but I don't think he has the speed to play well as a forward anymore. He's an inside midfielder. In that role we have Jones, Tyson, Cross, Viney and Vince and we already aren't quick. You'd add ROK in and play Viney more forward and Vince more outside but you wouldn't get a significant improvement. It would also shuffle McKenzie, Riley and Michie back down to que. And I don't know about you but I'm pretty keen to see more of Riley and Michie, both of whom need game time to see if they can make the leap from good VFL players to AFL players.

If ROK could be a significant upgrade over Bail and Matt Jones as outside mids I'd have him in a flash but I think his pace is gone and he wouldn't be. If he could be better than Watts, Salem, Kent and JKH at half forward then I'd be keen as well. It's interesting as to whether he could do that job. There are some pretty handy slow half forwards (Bartel is one at Geelong) but usually speed is vital especially with the delivery we get.

I'm always interested in list balance across positions. I've always thought you should have an old guy and a young guy across the areas of a ground so you are developing and having experience. Cross made sense because Rodan was a failure as an inside mid. We have a mature ruck, some mature inside mids, a lot of the backline that's got some experience, mature big forwards. I'd be much more interested in ROK if I felt he could be the experienced player we need to replace Byrnes.

Jack Viney and Toumpas had nothing but full praise for Rodan when he retired. He was brought into to mentor the likes of Viney Toumpas Kent Barry.

Seems to be on the outer in the same way Crossy was last year. I think we should look at him at years end and grab him on a one year contract as I still feel we are a few experience short of older heads. Nearly at the 300 game mark plus 3 grand final experience and one of the most professional players in the AFL. With the success of Crossy and what he has brought to our side I reckon it wouldn't hurt at all. Obviously the Roos connection is a big plus but I hope we atleast have a chat to him.

Could you imagine guys like Toumpas, Tyson, Viney, Barry and hopefully another talented mid plus Stretch looking up to Cross and O'Keefe?

PS He actually started his career as a demon playing some reserves footy way back in 1999!

having him for a year couldn't hurt... He would be the perfect playing coach for Trengove...

Jack Viney and Toumpas had nothing but full praise for Rodan when he retired. He was brought into to mentor the likes of Viney Toumpas Kent Barry.

Like I've said he seems like a good guy but as a player he added nothing and do you think they would have canned him.

having him for a year couldn't hurt... He would be the perfect playing coach for Trengove...

Trengove doesn't need anyone to hold his hand he has to get on with playing. Do you think we could afford to have someone out there coaching?

Like I've said he seems like a good guy but as a player he added nothing and do you think they would have canned him.

Trengove doesn't need anyone to hold his hand he has to get on with playing. Do you think we could afford to have someone out there coaching?

No wouldn't have canned because that doesn't even happen in the AFL public. They just wouldnt have mentioned anything if they thought Rodan did nothing off field.

Age is not fair, I think if he passed a robust examination a playing coach in the VFL would be perfect and every so often he could sub for Cross. Cross is a bloody miracle with how well he is playing especially with how often he goes 'inside'.

I met a few of the Sydney guys when my brother was playing up in NSW and I thought they were robust, I wouldn't mind a few and he has covered himself in glory. I reckon he'd find the fire for a few games as well when we had key outs, him or Blease, who would you take, even at 34?

No question, RO'K at this stage.

Blease I'd spotted as an U-18, along with Zaharakis as my likes from the big clash between Vic Country & Vic Metro @ the 'G', in their Draft year, with Hurley & Watts in their respective sides.

I went to look at Hurley, but found it easier in this game watching the midfielders. the congestion I found was moreso at either end of the ground, with space open in-between the arcs.

Zarharakis was a good mover, as was Blease with breakaway speed.

I was keen on Blease as a possible late 1st Rnd pick, along with Shoenmaker who was my preferred choice with our 2nd pick; & liked Zarharakis, but was a bit unsure as he was overlooked the previous seasons draft for some reason.

I'd noticed Blease a few times outside of football, & observed a cocky sort of attitude. can't read much from that, but after a few times, started to form a bit of a gut feel that he is defensive & insecure type, & have the feeling he would be a bit of a handful to coach.

A lot of attitude in a defensive way.

I hope the Roos/Stone team can work a miracle with him, because the upside with his speed could be really exciting, but for me, I've mostly run out of hope for him, at this stage.

Chappy started with a bang & Essendon followed his lead. then after many matches the club fell over & became almost easy beats, chappy got suspended for a hit, Etc...

I'm wondering IF they all new of the impending ASADA issues moving ahead & either then club & players lost focus, under some sort of strain but it was sudden IMO.

I don't think anyone can judge chappy on this season other than the first few weeks When they all were absolutely Flying along.

I'd like to see the scar on Watsons leg from the surgery, where the mysterious injury was diagnosed days ahead of the infraction notices, and operated on recently?