• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

We play well when Watts does

baysidedave

Watts last half was outstanding. I think he was moved back to be loose player behind the ball n the swecond half, a job he has done well before. His disposal is fantastic and he is athletic tall and has a great tank. I just wish he could use his height and strength better. He has all the attributes but does not always use them.

That attack on the ball between him and Grey (I think) was soft. He had 10kgs on that bloke and was swept aside because Grey was prepared to put his body on the line and attak the ball. I just dont think Wats has it in him. He als plays short for a tall bloke. I have seen him shink and wrestle in marking contests against short mids. He needs to use his weight and strength (He is right up there in strength tests) and get his hands up in the air.

If he can get this right he will make Goodes look like a plodder.

How do you get excited about a player who had zero possessions in the first quarter, 4 in the 2nd, 13 in the 3rd, and 2 in the last!

2 possessions in a half of football! Please......

How can you not get excited about a player who got 13 possessions in a quarter?

It's all about perspective.

• Like 4

How can you not get excited about a player who got 13 possessions in a quarter?

It's all about perspective.

I would prefer to look at that third quarter and see the potential it wasn't just 13 possessions it was 13 telling possies

The more times we can get the ball into his hands the better we are. In the last quarter he was tagged and the other players did nothing to get him the ball he's a creative player and taller than Goodes as shown by that intercept that resulted in his goal. Our patience is starting to pay off glass half full.

• Like 1

I would prefer to look at that third quarter and see the potential it wasn't just 13 possessions it was 13 telling possies

The more times we can get the ball into his hands the better we are. In the last quarter he was tagged and the other players did nothing to get him the ball he's a creative player and taller than Goodes as shown by that intercept that resulted in his goal. Our patience is starting to pay off glass half full.

Thought his Q was good and his goal BETTER.

Unfortunately its not enough to do this one out of evry 24 Quaters.Maybe for a 2/3rd year but not after 6 nothing years.

Put it this way,can you imagine him retiring and having a 1 quarter highlights reel.

Thought his Q was good and his goal BETTER.

Unfortunately its not enough to do this one out of evry 24 Quaters.Maybe for a 2/3rd year but not after 6 nothing years.

Put it this way,can you imagine him retiring and having a 1 quarter highlights reel.

If he had done it for two quarters yesterday we would have won by 4 goals at least.

If he did it for two quarters every few weeks we would probably win those games see Rioli Goodes Jurrah

Just wanted to add to this, 3 of the 4 games we have won Jack Watts kicks 2 or more goals. Jack is a smart ball user, we don't have to many in our side. To see him kick a goal from outside 50m was great, this was an issue for him he seemed to be at his limit at 45-50m and often sliced his kicks at that range.

How do you get excited about a player who had zero possessions in the first quarter, 4 in the 2nd, 13 in the 3rd, and 2 in the last!

2 possessions in a half of football! Please......

I'm with you on this. Not difficult to find the footy when you are playing on your own.

If he were allowed to play as a permanent loose man in defence then I would have got excited as he is a great offensive weapon with ball in hand.

But the opposition will not allow it and then it comes back to your ability to win the footy against an opponent. Watts' 6 possessions in three quarters when properly manned up suggests this continues to be a problem.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add to this, 3 of the 4 games we have won Jack Watts kicks 2 or more goals. Jack is a smart ball user, we don't have to many in our side. To see him kick a goal from outside 50m was great, this was an issue for him he seemed to be at his limit at 45-50m and often sliced his kicks at that range.

That goal he kicked was one of the best struck kicks I've ever seen him do. When he gets around goals he's starting to trust himself more which is very important, for too long he would look to give it off, that's great being a team player but at some point he actually needed to say to himself "I'm going to kick this goal".

It's not breaking news but he is a hot and cold player, he'll go missing in games for periods and I don't think there's anything that'll change that. We need to just work on getting the hot to be more common than the cold, 1 out of 4 quarters isn't enough.

Edited by Pates

When Jack is given freedom in the backline he relishes the space and his elite kicking skills can set us up .

I have long been of the school of thought that Jack's undoubted disposal talents were a bit wasted in defence, but I have come around to recognising that half backs with poor disposal skills are killing us.

Agreed it is time to play him back.

• Like 1

I have long been of the school of thought that Jack's undoubted disposal talents were a bit wasted in defence, but I have come around to recognising that half backs with poor disposal skills are killing us.

Agreed it is time to play him back.

This

JW played a good game yesterday in my view.

What we saw yesterday is I believe the maximium I can expect from him.

I have accepted some time ago he will not be a match winner who breaks open packs or lays hard bumps or tackles.

If he played that well most weeks I would be rapted.

Just do it more often please JW.

• Like 1

Too early to be drawing the line under anyone - Roos hasn't even had one full season yet. Do you really think there's no more to come?

Think Jetta, Pederson, the losing margins, the after-match pressers - do you really think we have already seen all there's going to be?

So frustrating. His 3rd quarter was elite and the best I've seen him play. Very little in the first, second or last.

Watts is progressing and slowly getting better each month. I am just pleased to see him have a quarter like that, it shows he is more than capable.

He's only 23 years old, give him another year or two and we will be seeing that on a far more consistent basis - I have no doubt.

• Like 1

Or .... when the team is playing well ... it drags Jack along.

Sometimes, but Roos moving Watts to half back yesterday changed the complexion of the game.

It's no surprise we play better when he does. He's our best user of the footy. Get more good users of the footy and we'll play better consistently and spread the load. You'll also find Jack will become a very, very damaging player. Roos has coached him beautifully this year. This season there's no doubt he's improved, his lack of physicality annoys the hell out of me, but he's even laid some tackles this year. Each player responds differently and needs different kinds of coaching (see nurturing). Jack seems to be responding to that perfect balance Roos has of nurture vs firmness. Still has some work to do though.

Edited by AdamFarr

Watched him closely live

He nearly always uses the ball well

He is almost too clever for his own good he seems to know intuitively where to go defensively or offensively but I just see that his teammates don't use him

Many times Dawes had three defenders on him as he led to the flank Watts was making position alone in the safe in the centre the kick inevitably went to Dawes

Perhaps his teammates don't like him directing them which I thought he did too much early

Third quarter he stopped pointing and just seemed to be everywhere up and down the ground and just could not be ignored

Even when Port tried to tag him he seemed to roll off on his own to the right spot until someone used him

I have always been frustrated by him but he does not impose himself physically but certainly has skills in excess of most other players

I would suggest that when we use those attributes we win

"We play well when Watts does" No he plays well we don't always use him

"Watts plays well when we do" yes when we are playing well we use him

He enhances the team

He won't and can't do it by himself it is a team game Watts is a young team player The team and he will only get better

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Mods feel welcome to put this comment & article in any of the other numerous jack watts threads.

The article is by Garry Lyon, he discusses Watts & compares him to Gunston.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hes-all-right-jack-why-demons-forward-should-follow-hawk-stars-lead-20150403-1me22o.html

Edited by Bonkers

Well I have seen Watts run his opponent ragged, Ive seen him make space, Ive seen him run at the right angle, Ive seen him double back and have no-one to give it to

and Ive seen him ignored by teammates, have teammates fail to deliver, have opponents recieve the ball dekivered so poorly,

and yes played in so many positions and with so little support that it is amazing that he still has the nature to enjoy the game.

Lyon suggests Dawes and Hogan will allow JAck to be 3rd forward but we wiont see that this week.

His figures are comparable to Gunston but Gunston isnt on his own. When Jacks teammates play like Gunstons teammates we will see similar results

Im hoping this year we will see the best of Watts as he continues his progression with the rest of the team .

• Like 1

Well I have seen Watts run his opponent ragged, Ive seen him make space, Ive seen him run at the right angle, Ive seen him double back and have no-one to give it to

and Ive seen him ignored by teammates, have teammates fail to deliver, have opponents recieve the ball dekivered so poorly,

and yes played in so many positions and with so little support that it is amazing that he still has the nature to enjoy the game.

Lyon suggests Dawes and Hogan will allow JAck to be 3rd forward but we wiont see that this week.

His figures are comparable to Gunston but Gunston isnt on his own. When Jacks teammates play like Gunstons teammates we will see similar results

Im hoping this year we will see the best of Watts as he continues his progression with the rest of the team .

Actually Lyon mentions Watts as the fourth tall behind Frost (if he continues in the forward structure when Dawes returns). This will be even better, particularly with Garlett and JKH/Kent also in the mix!

I'm not going to lie but I was getting a little emotional when ever Watts kicked a goal.

The guy has copped a lot since he got drafted and even when he had a chance to get out he stuck with us so I am really happy to see him play well.

Now for the Tomp to start playing well.

• Like 9

I'm not going to lie but I was getting a little emotional when ever Watts kicked a goal.

The guy has copped a lot since he got drafted and even when he had a chance to get out he stuck with us so I am really happy to see him play well.

Now for the Tomp to start playing well.

the kid deserves all the success in the world.

Mcartney will be very, very good for him.

• Like 1

Gawd what a pack of drongos we have on here,Ok Watts had some quiet times but we would not have won had he been playing at casey, wake up and keep ya hands above the keyboards,

Edited by demons123452000
  • Like 1