Post Match Discussion - Round 17

Demonland

Positives:

-Probably would have been 186 mk 2 under Neeld.

-Jack Viney.

-Aidan Riley showing a bit.

Negatives:

-The usual standard of umpiring we've come to expect.

-Pretty much every player aside from the two mentioned above. Special mention to Jamar's ruck work.

-Bernie Vince's haircut.

Love the way Viney goes about it. Thought Riley not only tackled and won the hard ball but showed pace and poise to distribute ball to our advantage.

Overall a poor game and I think we will be busy durig trade period.

Also, on a side note I sat next to a lady at the game who after the first quarter said she won't be renewing her membership. I resisted the urge to headbutt her and asked why and she said she wasn't getting value from her membership. Anyway, I ended up saying that the performance we are seeing reflects decision s made more than 3 years ago and that we are on the right track, that Geelong were this bad in the early 2000's, that the club has more than 10,000 ex members and the club needs members to renew in order to invest in player development and pay 100÷ salary cap. She kept bagging Jack Watts and midway through the 4th qtr she said we were no chance to win amd that she was leaving, to which I replied it was over middway through the second qtr and that I'd been enjoying the young bull (Viney) and Pig Dog (Riley) having a crack.

I've got three weeks til I get away from this [censored]. Pumped I'll miss the Hawthorn match but the only thing to look forward to this year is Hogan and I'll miss that.

You mean he's coming back before the season's out to be on the receiving end of our magnificent forward 50 entry work!!??

• Like 1

Learnt today :

* Riley who did a lot of good hard stuff today (barring a couple of mistakes) , but showed a lot of hardness in the crunches. He is still settling in !! ( Confidence)

*Jack Watts is not strong enough to be a 2nd big forward, nor does he seem to over involve himself.

*Contrast the delivery to Geelong's Forward line with delivery into ours.

*Geelongs ability to gut run through the lines which made that delivery possible.

*Jack Viney continuing improvement ,Midfield has a couple of hard nuts with him now in Jones , Tyson and Riley. Makes our midfield competitive. Just need to get the finishers around the ouside . ( will move ball quicker)

*Garland's and Grimes job on Bartels,Johnson .

*Frawleys , Tommy Mac and Jordy Mackenzies 1% ers

*Geelongs capacity for the finishers in Motlop,Johnson etc and the way they move around the packs.

* Have admired Rohan Bails effort and dash, but he really does let himself down with disposal. Needs confidence to steady.

• Like 1

Terrible game today. We're a shadow of the side we were a month ago.

I'm sure part of that is due to players tiring and our draw getting harder. But there are a fair amount of other things that are going wrong, getting worse, or not improving that are really hampering us right now.

Dunn was the Dunn of old today. Instead of that cool head we've had all year, we had the staging, whinging, finger pointing 2012-2013 edition. He shouldn't have been played forward, granted, but he was really poor when he was back too.

Watts was also pretty rank today, the wet took away his clean first touch and without that he's not as good as he can or should be.

Jamar's ruckwork was OK but he was totally dominated around the ground. All told gave us nothing other than some hit outs.

Tyson may be tired, but he's not delivering to the standard he was at a month or two back. N Jones gets the ball but similarly to Tyson isn't impacting games like he was. Same deal Pedersen.

Disposal across the board is still woeful, just nowhere near good enough. Our run and spread is also pathetic; the differential in uncontested possessions and uncontested marks were appalling.

Viney was fantastic, and I thought Riley had his best game for us so far. Also though Matt Jones at least gave us some run, if anything. Dawes played a lot better today as well I thought.

• Like 1

a few years back that would have been a 150 point loss. Halfway through the 2nd quarter if someone said you would only lose by 66 Id gladly have taken that.

Viney was brilliant and even got under the skin of some cats players. cannot wait to watch him in years to come

Riley was great and I hope he plays out the year

Garland did a great defensive job on Bartel keeping him really quiet

Dawes battled hard and its difficult when you have 2 on you

Watts is always an easy target from fans when we lose. Yes it wasnt his best but he had friends that were also in the same category

Frawley proved today no club will pay him 700-800 grand

Also we just couldnt stick our tackles where as geelong did

Edited by dees189227
  • Like 3

Very impressed by Riley.

Yes gave a crack today ( didnt have too many mates )

Give him a full preseason and Im keen to see him at 100%

well done PigDog

Just got back. Bail and Grimes do my head in. During the 1st Grimes has a easy kick to dawes on the lead and butchers it, Bail snaps on goal and misses everything, Grimes handballs to a team mate under pressure in most of is contests. Grimes should have been subbed for Terlich. The comedy of errors plus the very little effort made for a boring ugly game.

• Like 4

On a side note Geelong really act up for their free kicks!!

Diving, throwing their head back and constantly sooking to the umps all day, it was like watching the world cup.

Even Rivers was getting into the act.

• Like 1

On a side note Geelong really act up for their free kicks!!

Diving, throwing their head back and constantly sooking to the umps all day, it was like watching the world cup.

Even Rivers was getting into the act.

Umpires didn't help by awarding soft 50 metre penalties and confusing free kicks. Is dropping the ball still in the rule book?

Hard watching the dogs suns game, a couple of seriously good young teams getting real value from their high picks

just go away if you cant talk civilly.... :)

My quote won't work, WYL you just don't get it do you, I keep the whingeing to myself, unlike some I try to be constructive...........part of me went along hoping for an improved showing, and sneak a win, the most part after the last week or two expected another 5 or 6 goal loss, but making it hard for Geelong........easy this week we went backwards, think Roos has a lot of work to do...positives for me were Viney and Riley (he had no one in the clear to kick to when he turned it over, the team had stopped running by then)...move on to next week, me banging on for 5 or 6 pages won't change anything, up to Roos and his coaches to fix it

• Like 2

Couldn't believe the size of the gulf between us a top team today. We are so far off the pace in skill and fitness. A couple of draft periods won't go close to being enough.

• Like 1