The Frawley Domino

TGR

Going to training, but must reread some the posts here, re Grimes and Frawley, there is some real comedy gold, if only some posters would actually watch the games

Maybe you could reread some of the gems you posted (not excluding your non football related posts) during your six month reign of terror to the players Saty? We wouldn't be able to field a team next week as most of them would be omitted due to them injuring their laughing muscle.

..talking about potentially overpriced contracts, reckon some team out there could force a big overpay for Tom (400k)...

400k is far from an over pay for Tom McDonald

hes one of the best young key backs in the league, some have talked him up as AA full back this season (think he was listed as unlucky to miss in Rohan Connollys halfway AA team)

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 2

If Roos has spent half a season, and looks like spending a whole season, gelling the backline without Frawley, why would he all of a sudden go back and fit in?

I think he's done himself a disservice. One of the best backs in the league, playing as a forward, not showing himself to the best of his ability for the market.

Then again, he's taking handballs from the pack and snapping goals, so maybe he will just stay a permanent forward no matter where he goes.

I wonder if frawley stays forward even when hogan is back? the backline is working fine without him

i just reckon Chip, dawes, jesse, pedo and Watts is probably too tall

And JKH. Watts can play mobile forward, as can hogan. Hogan is very mobile, and covers a huge amount of ground when fit. He has a huge engine. In that scenario, I think Dawes becomes the number one forward (in terms of size), pedo 2, hogan 3, chip 4 and Watts 5. That is a seriously formidable forward line. Both Watts and Hogan are also good on the ground as well as in the air. Not many defences could cover that.

To be a contender though against a Swans or a Hawthorn I think we need a monster forward like a Tippett. I have hope big max might develop into that, but his marking and positioning does not seem to be improving much. We may have to trade.

Two months ago I thought Frawley was a bit overrated, that there was a bit of man crush going around.

Now it seems I'm one of the people rating him higher than most.

Right now he is an incredibly rare player - truly capable of influencing a game as a key forward or as a key defender.

His contribution this season has been huge. And I really dispute the comments about him dropping off when things go against us. I'd go so far as to say that's cr4p.

I think we get lost in the difference between overrated and not playing well/lost form.

I think overrated is when you play a couple of good games and the expectation is you will be the next messiah and this doesn't come to fruition - Gysberts comes to mind ( for the record I was sucked in as well).

Frawley had two years where he played outstanding football - followed by two very inconsistent years. The talent was obviously there and was consistently on display during his AA year.

You just don't trade out those sort of players especially when we have such a good development team in place now.

• Like 2

I am not sure Roos is treating him like a swing man at the moment; he hasn't been thrown back when possibly needed.

True. But other clubs who need a solid mobile Full Back on paper; and an occasional hole up forward will see him as a swing-man.

Note - Freo will have McPharlin and to a lesser extent Pav retiring soon. Frawley would be a good fit at Freo IMO.

True. But other clubs who need a solid mobile Full Back on paper; and an occasional hole up forward will see him as a swing-man.

Note - Freo will have McPharlin and to a lesser extent Pav retiring soon. Frawley would be a good fit at Freo IMO.

Right now i'd lose Frawley to Freo for pick 5 if it reduced the chances they would make a play for Hogan! Edited by deanox
  • Like 1

The odds are against us unless there is a significant change in the FA deals. To date no club has matched the financial offer made to an FA. Clubs know that to move a player you have to pay overs and to ward off the players existing employer or the player is in the twilight of his career and wants success and a a contract longer than 1 year. As chip has stated this is his BIG contract, the question is will the club pay overs to keep him and maybe upset the Roos culture.

Frawley has line-breaking ability and is probably our best one-on-one defender.

No good having LBA (line-breaking ability) and then coughing it up or butchering the ball.

In the forward-line, butchering the ball means a point; rather than a goal against in the back-half.

With Dunn, the jury is out as to whether he can maintain this golden run. No reason why he shouldn't. As Dunstall said OTC, "he is not only halving contests; he is winning them". Added to this, Dunn's decision-making (maybe) and execution (definitely) is better than Frawley and hence I maintain that Dunn's golden period is actually better than Frawley in his AA year.

Happy to offer him $650k -$700k, not much more than we were paying Mitch Clarke. If he goes for more than that, so be it and compo should be reflective.

Better lock up Tommy Mac quick smart too. Maybe lowered his colours once this year, is long term and decent big blokes don't grow on trees. Terrific kid.

The odds are against us unless there is a significant change in the FA deals. To date no club has matched the financial offer made to an FA. Clubs know that to move a player you have to pay overs and to ward off the players existing employer or the player is in the twilight of his career and wants success and a a contract longer than 1 year. As chip has stated this is his BIG contract, the question is will the club pay overs to keep him and maybe upset the Roos culture.

Well, that's completely untrue.

No good having LBA (line-breaking ability) and then coughing it up or butchering the ball.

In the forward-line, butchering the ball means a point; rather than a goal against in the back-half.

With Dunn, the jury is out as to whether he can maintain this golden run. No reason why he shouldn't. As Dunstall said OTC, "he is not only halving contests; he is winning them". Added to this, Dunn's decision-making (maybe) and execution (definitely) is better than Frawley and hence I maintain that Dunn's golden period is actually better than Frawley in his AA year.

In Frawley's AA year, I don't recall him having more than 2 or 3 goals kicked on him. Dunn's had a terrific season, but it's ludicrous to assert that he's had a better season than Frawley's 2010. He had Crameri kick 4 goals (the most on the ground) against him. Frawley beat his opponent or halved it every week.
  • Like 1

Melbourne supporters have a history of criticising our forwards without understanding how difficult it is to play forward in a team that gets half the inside 50s of the opposition. Frawley has had a very good year given he's acclimatising to his new role and anyone suggesting we would actually WANT to lose him is very silly.

He had Crameri kick 4 goals (the most on the ground) against him.

Gifted two of them.

But I agree with you on Frawleys AA year - he was tremendous that year and I believe his "butchering" has been more in recent times.

On butchering Some players are just very poor or unrealiable kicks and always will be however I believe we will see less butchering as we improve.

- good teams like Hawthorn run and spread harder giving more separation - means you can have a wider margin for error on your kicking because your player is in more space

- I believe the main reason for butchering is the amount of time players play with each other, the understanding of the gameplan and the confidence and knowledge in knowing exactly what your teammates are going to do. Hawthorn have great kicks in their side but they also have the utmost confidence in what their teammate is going to do.

- butchering goes hand in hand with poor decision making. Poor decisions in many cases is lack of confidence or confusion over where your teammate will be.

I know that the Hawks and Geelong draft good kicks and decision makers but it is much about confidence in the gameplan and their teammates. I watch Rivers with interest and his disposal was average with us and has improved at Geelong. It is easy to understand why. He can shut his eyes and kick to a spot and have faith that his teammate will be there.

jetta dunn garland

frawley mcdonald howe

plenty to like about that if we can ever sort out our key forwards

Plus Grimes cycling through (I'm a big fan of an inform Grimes, and I suspect he's not too far off). Also the additional depth of Georgiou if any are to go down with an injury, and finally Watts has shown he can swing back as the spare man if ever needed in the dying seconds of a game.

We certainly have a very nice looking back line, let's hope the rest follows shortly.

Is no-one going to talk about this?

I've thought the same thing all season but only from what I've gathered from Chip's body language and BS excuses all year. The dude who wrote the OP claims to have a source. And I want to know more.

Is no-one going to talk about this?

I've thought the same thing all season but only from what I've gathered from Chip's body language and BS excuses all year. The dude who wrote the OP claims to have a source. And I want to know more.

Why was that thread locked? I understand its another Frawley topic but jeez would have been nice if they just moved on to this one so we could discuss his sources and that...

Why was that thread locked? I understand its another Frawley topic but jeez would have been nice if they just moved on to this one so we could discuss his sources and that...

My thoughts exactly dazzle, and precisely the reason I mentioned it in this thread. I want answers!

Edited by Vince Vega

Because merging threads is a pain in the arse, and locking them is one single press of a button. If posters are going to be lazy and start new threads when there's clearly at least one other appropriate thread ON THE FIRST PAGE, then I am going to be lazy when I dispose of them.

• Like 5

I'm very certain he's gone. There are too many indicators suggesting so and his moving of the goal posts in what he needs to see to stay really shows he committed to leave a long time ago. Problem is the boys keep ruining his reasons for going. A real shame and perhaps he is slightly regretting it at this stage.