GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sledge me all you will, that is my mail!!

Frawley to Geelong!

fine by me

Our backline wont miss a beat and we will get a top 5 pick for him

Wouldnt shock me if we leapfrogged Geelong by mid 2015 either

There is another issue at play here.What does it telegraph to the rest of the football community that a senior player turns his back on $1m over 3 to 5 years to be part of what Paul Roos is building here? How much more are we going to have to pay to entice someone away from GWS,say, if they see a senior player who has been part of Roos' Melbourne walk out the door?

The players rarely think about the club like supporters. Its a job They get hurt. They work hard. They put with a bunch of crap from supporters when things aren't going well. And they have a very short time in the game. The notion of loyalty is in supporters minds for the most part. It doesn't wash with most players.

PLayers are LUCKY to have one contract period where they can set themselves up for life. Most don't get that opportunity. The stars have aligned for Frawley and good luck to him. He's prime age and an AA defender albeit he has IMO checked out already.

If he can get $800k I wish him well. We'll be looked after and the world will move on. Its says nothing but the system is working how its supposed to.

• Like 1

The players rarely think about the club like supporters. Its a job They get hurt. They work hard. They put with a bunch of crap from supporters when things aren't going well. And they have a very short time in the game. The notion of loyalty is in supporters minds for the most part. It doesn't wash with most players.

PLayers are LUCKY to have one contract period where they can set themselves up for life. Most don't get that opportunity. The stars have aligned for Frawley and good luck to him. He's prime age and an AA defender albeit he has IMO checked out already.

If he can get $800k I wish him well. We'll be looked after and the world will move on. Its says nothing but the system is working how its supposed to.

Not sure that is right. I think mates and club culture play a big part. Plenty have rejected dollars for loyalty. Reiwald would be a good example.

• Like 4

Any money if we get first round compo for losing him (pick 4?) the media will kick up a stink about how "unfair" it is and we'll see the end of compensation for FA?

Got no doubt Eddie will be ropeable for whatever stupid reason and twist Gillons arm.

Any money if we get first round compo for losing him (pick 4?) the media will kick up a stink about how "unfair" it is and we'll see the end of compensation for FA?

Got no doubt Eddie will be ropeable for whatever stupid reason and twist Gillons arm.

Even though the Pies got better compo for Thomas last year than Hawks got for Franklin, I don't doubt this will be the case.

Even though the Pies got better compo for Thomas last year than Hawks got for Franklin, I don't doubt this will be the case.

All because Eddie is an absolute F-wit, his team is pushing top 4, ours has been bottom four 6 of the last 8 years.

Not sure that is right. I think mates and club culture play a big part. Plenty have rejected dollars for loyalty. Reiwald would be a good example.

Do you mean the StKilda reiwoldt who is the highest paid player at StKilda by a long way ?

It's a matter of how much more money. Travis Cloke put it well when he said he rejected the essendon offer to leave because he was offered more money but not enough more to leave. Goddard/Franklin/Ablett/Scully were offered considerably more money at other clubs and went for the cash.

You know very well who I mean and the point I'm trying to make.

The point is that word has it Stkilda had to pay considerably more than Collingwood to keep reiwoldt. He is loyal to StKilda at a price.

If he has in fact chosen Geelong, which given the most recent source I've nearly drawn a line through the Cats as a likely destination, it's almost confirming that we won't get a Top 5 pick for him. My money would be an offer of $2m over 4 years, takes him up to 29, then will get a 3 year extension at the end of that.

There is no way they would offer him the sort of dollars that would see us compensated with a pick that high. Their list management team are far smarter than that.

Still, I guess we might use a mid-teens pick on luring a superstar midfielder to our ranks.

If he has in fact chosen Geelong, which given the most recent source I've nearly drawn a line through the Cats as a likely destination, it's almost confirming that we won't get a Top 5 pick for him. My money would be an offer of $2m over 4 years, takes him up to 29, then will get a 3 year extension at the end of that.

There is no way they would offer him the sort of dollars that would see us compensated with a pick that high. Their list management team are far smarter than that.

Still, I guess we might use a mid-teens pick on luring a superstar midfielder to our ranks.

I have heard freo's offer was 2.6 million over 4 years, which would result in band 1 compensation, I think the AFL will bend over backwards to give us the high pick as we are still in the early stages of a revival, the did the same with Col last year, we should not have gotten band 2 for him.

• Like 1

I would prefer that Chip stayed with us, simply because he is a good quality player and we need all the good quality players we can get.

If he goes however, I think we can cover him (as long as McDonald doesn't go anywhere).

I have no doubt though that Chip will be regretting his decision to leave (if that is the outcome) when he lines up on Jesse Hogan :lol: in the near future.

Edited by Django
  • Like 3

We should be given band 1 compo regardless. How we didn't get a PP at the end of last year was farcical.

AFL said we still had Mitch Clark and Hogan to come in. Ignoring the fact that it should be based on what has just transpired and not on future potentials, both of these players have not played a game for us this year, one is now retired and one might get a couple of games at the back end.

*cough* band 1 compo *cough*

• Like 3

I just hope if he leaves, his new club gets the James Frawley of 2014, drifting in and out of games, fumbling at the most inappropriate times, playing the game on his terms and not those that make his team better and seemingly conflicted mentally. His leadership on field has been virtually non existent.

Having said that I like Chip and would like him to stay but he has not offered us a lot this season and has let himself and the club down with his actions and words both on and off the field.

We will be worse off in the short term if he leaves but life will go on and sometimes the best thing to do is keep focused on the big picture, which may be enhanced as a result of him leaving.

Edited by T-34
  • Like 4

At first I was, like many here, [censored] off.

Now I am coming around to the thought that if he doesn't really want to stay, he should go, we should pick up the comp pick, and move on.

Either way for me now. Getting really tired of the deception.

If he doesn't want to say he wants to stay, clearly he doesn't .

• Like 4

At first I was, like many here, [censored] off.

Now I am coming around to the thought that if he doesn't really want to stay, he should go, we should pick up the comp pick, and move on.

Either way for me now. Getting really tired of the deception.

If he doesn't want to say he wants to stay, clearly he doesn't .

I look it a little differently.

To me its about money and a small emphasis on finals. I believe if he goes it will be to a club that he perceives will play finals but also will pay him plenty. So take for instance the Hawks - will Sewell play on ? will Lake play on ? there is a big chunk of cap money right there. If he is looking to maximise his dollars he will have to wait until seasons end and those kind of issues play out.

Or others could be right and he has already made his decision or even agreed to terms. Again - either way - you can't tell the club that you agreed to terms as that is not legal and players just don't tell their clubs they are going to leave.

This delay does spell out to me that at worst he is seriously considering going (and IMO most likely has made up his mind to go). A players whose first concern is to stay at the club, will have been in discussions. If he was unhappy with our offer you would have heard his manager say " we are not on the same page". Managers these days make no secret if the negotiations are miles apart.

• Like 1

Reiwoldt is a good example but there is also a good case for him to leave that club at this point. What good is he going to do for the next two years? Arguably they could be better off trading him out and getting a young gun. He is going to struggle at that club.

He is also a bit of a rarity or exception rather than the rule.

Look around your workplace and tell me how many would stay if they were offered 30% more in their salary? Loyalty only goes so far.

My point was players playing 10 years are relatively rare. In that 10 years the number of contracts they get where they can take a huge leap in dollars and set themselves up for life would be two maximum. They are lucky for it to be one.

Supporters go the loyalty card because they follow the club through hell and high water. Players don't mostly. Mostly players get turfed by clubs. Older players aren't stupid. They see younger plaers come and go. They see clubs turf out Beemer, Junior, Jeff White, Yze, Robbo etc etc When they get a chance to lock in a life changing deal they would frankly be mad not to do it in most cases.

So you can sit there and say loyalty matters. Tell that to Junior. It doesn't wash with me and it is the new reality in football.

Reiwoldt is a good example but there is also a good case for him to leave that club at this point. What good is he going to do for the next two years? Arguably they could be better off trading him out and getting a young gun. He is going to struggle at that club.

Look around your workplace and tell me how many would stay if they were offered 30% more in their salary? Loyalty only goes so far.

My point was players playing 10 years are relatively rare. In that 10 years the number of contracts they get where they can take a huge leap in dollars and set themselves up for life would be two maximum. They are lucky for it to be one.

Supporters go the loyalty card because they follow the club through hell and high water. Players don't mostly. Mostly players get turfed by clubs. Older players aren't stupid. They see younger plaers come and go. They see clubs turf out Beemer, Junior, Jeff White, Yze, Robbo etc etc When they get a chance to lock in a life changing deal they would frankly be mad not to do it in most cases.

So you can sit there and say loyalty matters. Tell that to Junior. It doesn't wash with me and it is the new reality in football.

it's not necessarily new either jnr....maybe easier now......and the spondulacks is certainly bigger

been happening ever since i can remember footy

Well said

and to add a little more to that - having some insight into the Saints inner workings - Reiwoldt is one of the highest paid players in the league (rightly so). He was loyal to the point that the Collingwood offer was not within cooey of what StKilda ended up paying him. He was loyal that he didnt leave for more finals - but it cost them an arm and a leg to keep him.

So we talk about loyalty - but Reiwoldt stayed because he is in the top paid players in the league. If we offered Frawley $1M a year he would become very loyal very quickly.

Well said

and to add a little more to that - having some insight into the Saints inner workings - Reiwoldt is one of the highest paid players in the league (rightly so). He was loyal to the point that the Collingwood offer was not within cooey of what StKilda ended up paying him. He was loyal that he didnt leave for more finals - but it cost them an arm and a leg to keep him.

So we talk about loyalty - but Reiwoldt stayed because he is in the top paid players in the league. If we offered Frawley $1M a year he would become very loyal very quickly.

Speaking of loyalty, what do you think $cully will be offered next contract?