GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand the outrage of Frawley waiting until the end of season to sort out his contract........It is becoming the usual for UFA's to do this

He has gone from being a best 22 player in our side, to posters who want to get rid of him because he wont show loyalty and now he has become a surplus to our needs.....

Posters have no hesitation in wanting to get rid of players wether by trade or delisting because they think they are spuds(God I hate that word)

He would get a game in every other side in the competition but somehow we don't need him now?????

He is a KPD who can kick goals when needed.....A 100 game experienced big player who is only 26 and has at least 4 or 5 years left

I want him to stay and I think we need him to.....

• Like 1

I don't understand the outrage of Frawley waiting until the end of season to sort out his contract........It is becoming the usual for UFA's to do this

Its because this invariably leads to a Hasta Manana Baby !! :unsure:

He has gone from being a best 22 player in our side, to posters who want to get rid of him because he wont show loyalty and now he has become a surplus to our needs.....

Posters have no hesitation in wanting to get rid of players wether by trade or delisting because they think they are spuds(God I hate that word)

He would get a game in every other side in the competition but somehow we don't need him now?????

He is a KPD who can kick goals when needed.....A 100 game experienced big player who is only 26 and has at least 4 or 5 years left

I want him to stay and I think we need him to.....

I am also in BB's camp thinking he is gone purely based on free agents who wait until years end to resign - invariably leave.

I am in your camp in wanting him to stay.

• Like 1

I have supported Frawley and said he would be a massive loss but now I reckon he is seriously gone and I couldn't give a flying toss to be honest. Everyone knows the club is going in the riight direction. If we win 7 games this year and he moves he will look like the biggest fool and [censored] going around.

No he won't look like a fool unless he goes to club that is not a constant finals contender.

I don't want him to go but if he goes to Hawthorn, Geelong or Freo I believe he is almost guaranteed of playing finals next year. More of a guarantee than if he stays with us.

It does make a mockery of his assertion that he wanted to see the direction of the club before signing - there is no certainty that we will play finals next year - or even the year after - but it is plain that we are heading in the right direction.

No he won't look like a fool unless he goes to club that is not a constant finals contender.

I don't want him to go but if he goes to Hawthorn, Geelong or Freo I believe he is almost guaranteed of playing finals next year. More of a guarantee than if he stays with us.

It does make a mockery of his assertion that he wanted to see the direction of the club before signing - there is no certainty that we will play finals next year - or even the year after - but it is plain that we are heading in the right direction.

I'd argue Geelong are no certainty to play finals next year, although would never write them off, Hawthorn and Freo have alot of stars set to retire in the next couple of years, so going to any of those he might find himself not playing regular finals anyway potentially

the gold coast suns are the team i'd go to for regular finals, they will be around the mark for the next 8 years imo

The reality ( for mine ) is hes probably looking at his last decent contract. If he works it right he'll get 4-5 years on good coin at a club that regularly ( atm ) plays finals.

Do I decry him for possibly going ? No.

Will I cry if he goes ? No

Will his loss be as big as some lament here ? I dont think so

Players will move. Some will join, some will leave. Such is life

What I dont care for is the postulating and/or the song and dance about reasons etc. Thats just comical and I'll respect anyone less for it.

otherwise...roll on '15

Go Dees

• Like 1

Where TF do ppl get this stuff from?? Tea leaves??

The author of post # 350 might know!

• Like 1

I'd argue Geelong are no certainty to play finals next year, although would never write them off, Hawthorn and Freo have alot of stars set to retire in the next couple of years, so going to any of those he might find himself not playing regular finals anyway potentially

the gold coast suns are the team i'd go to for regular finals, they will be around the mark for the next 8 years imo

I'd argue ( as would most ) that if you are looking to play finals consistently over the next 3-5 years and had a choice of Geelong, Freo, Hawks or us - we would be choice number four.

Of course it can blow up in his face as it did for Nathan Buckley leaving the Bears for Collingwood but at the time it looked like an obvious decision.

It seems players who want to wait until seasons end to talk end up leaving. Chip is a really good player but not elite. I would very much prefer him to stay as good talls are hard to find especially if they can play KPP at each end. If he wants to leave then he will go - simple as that - players love the $$$$$ (and I don't blame them!!!) and I guess a chance to play finals soon/next season would be a big/massive bonus. All we can hope for if he goes is a pick after our first rounder. Then what do we do??? Two mids from the draft??

I think playing Frawley up forward has lowered his value in the eyes of Melbourne supporters and increased in those of the opposition.

We now know that we can get the job done without him down back, and he just ain't that good a forward. For me personally, I just don't feel like his place in the team is as relevant this season in comparison to previous years.

Other teams though, will seriously take note of the fact that he can go forward if needed.

But stay or go, I really don't care, I just want this to be settled sooner rather than later. The speculation of a players future carrying on throughout the season gets a bit tiresome to hear about.

he just ain't that good a forward. For me personally, I just don't feel like his place in the team is as relevant this season in comparison to previous years.

Again I think we are being unduly harsh on his forward play.

Has he been great ? No ?

Who has been our most likely forward - Dawes. Now granted - Frawley does not do the hard things like Dawes - Dawes is a contesting machine - tackling, pressure etc.

But Dawes has kicked 13 goals 9 and Frawley 12 goals 12. Dawes 39 marks - Frawley 78 ! ( Dawes has played 3 less games)

His output has not been that bad and our entries into the 50 have been anything but tidy.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

I said last year in the midst of rumblings over the players wanting Neeld out that Frawley was not in the top 5 players at the club.

Jaded and a couple others scoffed at the notion - a year is a long time in footy.

But the point is that no one is irreplaceable but also that there is something to be said for keeping talent around if you can.

We were all so worried about losing players last year, specifically Frawley, and now we are swaying too far the way in my opinion.

If we win 7 games this year and he moves he will look like the biggest fool and [censored] going around.

Why, because he wants more money than we will pay, or he wants to play in Grand Finals sooner rather than later.

He is not a fool just because he leaves the club you support.

Edited by Redleg

Why, because he wants more money than we will pay, or he wants to play in Grand Finals sooner rahter than later.

He is not a fool just because he leaves the club you support.

No the foolish part is pretending that the successor and the direction of the club is the reason for him not signing.

It sucks he is gone, but the tantalisation of who/what we could get for him overcomes all feeling of despair, especially with Roos and his team of recruiters.

I had always thought this until I realised that it isn't automatic that we'd get a first round pick for him straight after our first round pick.

This will depend on how much he gets paid and how long his contract is. At the moment the press are saying Freo has rejected $700k and Hawks have rejected $650k. How correct those claims are I don't know. So if he ends up at say $550 for 3 yrs is that enough for us to get a first rounder or does it become a second rounder. Eg Sylvia's contract was only worth a second round pick.

I'd be spewing if we lose Frawley for a second rounder. So now we have to sweat on what his deal will be. I'm now hoping he will go to the Suns who will pay the max to get who they want and will probably give a long term contract, say 5yrs. I'm sure $600k per year over 5yrs would get us a first rounder. Healey says a key back and a ruckman are the missing pieces for them now. So he would satisfy this and they are likely to be consistently in the finals from now on, assuming they get there this year and they are looking like it at this point.

Early mail I heard from a Hawks supporter was that he was already on his way there. If that's right it might not be enough to get a first rounder.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 1

I had always thought this until I realised that it isn't automatic that we'd get a first round pick for him straight after our first round pick.

This will depend on how much he gets paid and how long his contract is. At the moment the press are saying Freo has rejected $700k and Hawks have rejected $650k. How correct those claims are I don't know. So if he ends up at say $550 for 3 yrs is that enough for us to get a first rounder or does it become a second rounder. Eg Sylvia's contract was only worth a second round pick.

I'd be spewing if we lose Frawley for a second rounder. So now we have to sweat on what his deal will be. I'm now hoping he will go to the Suns who will pay the max to get who they want and will probably give a long term contract, say 5yrs. I'm sure $600k per year over 5yrs would get us a first rounder. Healey says a key back and a ruckman are the missing pieces for them now. So he would satisfy this and they are likely to be consistently in the finals from now on, assuming they get there this year and they are looking like it at this point.

Early mail I heard from a Hawks supporter was that he was already on his way there. If that's right it might not be enough to get a first rounder.

First he said he wants to c the direction of the club, who the new coach will be, and that he is NOT putting it off to the end of the season and has said this a few times from what I can recall.

Now talks are put off till end of the season as PJ said in an interview before the game against North.

IMO he is gone and has been bumbling his way through the season with his bs excuses.

I reckon he was gone last season as he probably thought it would never change at the Dees.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

Doubt Sylvia signed for much at Freo though. Surely not more than 350k.

He signed for the less but knew with a full preseason behind him he could be a star and his worth would rise. ( oh nutbean you make me laugh)

• Like 1

How is that?

It's all ultimately a question of priorities.

That Frawley is entitled to wait until the end of the season to attract and assess the best offer is absolutely beyond debate. Of course he is.

That it is apparently controversial to suggest that such an approach from a senior leader of the club is not necessarily beneficial to this club in its current circumstances is ridiculous in the extreme.

Now, I get that you think every player is entitled:

- to seek for himself the best possible contract; and

- to seek for himself the ultimate finals glory with another club.

I don't think anyone would seriously argue with that. But they're not especially endearing priorities to a club supporter - they're all about the player first.

For me at least, I'm not going to get sweaty in the pants over a player who is either mindlessly following his manager's instructions to the letter or who is simply motivated by his own perceived best interests. If Frawley were to sign a contract a while back, like Lyndon Dunn, it'd have been massive for this club. That he's elected not to until he's assessed all other options at the end of the year doesn't particularly endear him to me. True clubmen don't do this - after all, he's not going to be hugely out of the $$$ with us - any offer we make will most likely be in the range. But he has to love the club, and the concept of being a one club player, to be in that headspace.

After all, there's a reason clubs like the Swans and the Cats have stayed so dominant for so long. Look at their leaders and then assess the behaviours of those players. No bounty hunters in that lot. Cop a tip - Tom Scully wasn't the first choice marquee signing for the GWS. $$$ alone didn't work for many players - it did for Tom.

And it's the very reason as to why Robbie Flower is iconic at this club.

So yep, in short, Chip is absolutely entitled to wait until the end of the season to make his decision.

Does that approach make him a really good and effective senior leader at the club though? I think not.

And, for me at least, he's unfortunately become just another player.

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 7