Selection for Port Adelaide

Sad Dee

The game is in Alice Springs not Darwin.

The average June temperatures are around 20 degrees.

Can get up higher on hot days obviously.

Also the heat is a dry heat not humid like in Darwin.

Anyway the conditions should not be that draining.

Exactly

Alice in winter is very mild - low humidity and the afternoons cool down quickly.

Never hotter than say a warm melbourne March day, and usually pretty dry.

Nothing at all akin to the hot humid draining Darwin climate.

No excuses related to the weather / climate should be accepted.

He is a talented second ruck but this is not the game for it. He posed problems forward yesterday buts its direct affect on the scoreboard was a rushed behind and a point to Bail. We will be playing the fittest side in the comp in trying conditions and they are lightening quick across the ground. Jamar to ruck as much as possible Pederson to relieve and take the extra runner. Its not as cut and dry as that though and the selection committee certainly have some headaches next match.

I seem to remember at a pivotal time in the last quarter a melbourne Ruckman flew high above the opposition at a ball up, superbly palmed it to Bernie Vince who slotted it through from about 60 meters out. I think his name was Max Gawn from memory. He had far greater impact on the scoreboard indirectly than 1 point as you are implying. Jamar and Gawn are a devastating combination and will be extremely difficult to match up on. Port will definitely be their next victims

• Like 1

Considering how hot it will be and how fit Port are, I would not replace Dawes with a tall, but would include another potential midfield rotation, like Michie or Evans.

Why are Port fitter than us? I dont understand how that can be? Dont we have a gun fitness coach

I seem to remember at a pivotal time in the last quarter a melbourne Ruckman flew high above the opposition at a ball up, superbly palmed it to Bernie Vince who slotted it through from about 60 meters out. I think his name was Max Gawn from memory. He had far greater impact on the scoreboard indirectly than 1 point as you are implying. Jamar and Gawn are a devastating combination and will be extremely difficult to match up on. Port will definitely be their next victims

It's a good point others have made about NT being different conditions and I imagine it will be dewy - so not as suitable to taking marks like our boys did against Tiges and yes Port are the fastest side in comp, so too many talls seem illogical.

But against that is the fact that we average more stoppages this season than any other team under Roosy's lockdown plan, so having two ruckmen working in tandem means that we can hopefully tire out either Lobbe (if fit) or Susan Renouf and therefore gain a late advantage.

I would have been worried about playing Gawn and Jamar along with Pedo and Dawes, but with Dawes now out, Chipper's inclusion will mean we are slightly more mobile.

If for some reason Chipper doesn't come up, then perhaps we will opt to go shorter and quicker.

The only other change I can imagine is the inclusion of Jetta, but there's no way he can play on Wingard as someone suggested - he'd kill him in the air and I'd expect either Dunn or Col to get him.

If Jetta gets in, then he'd have to go to either Mitchell or Impey (assuming one of them lines up forward).

If he ends up having to man Gray we are in deep trouble - much too strong for Jetta.

But I'd be very surprised if Grimes doesn't go to Gray - captain Jack has been getting all the hard bodied small/medium forwards.

So assuming Jetta gets back in, then it surely will either be at expense of Riley, Salem or Toump - unless Frawley doesn't come up.

I can't imagine any of the VFL players getting back in this week, although Jordie surely is mounting his case and Kent must be getting closer to a recall.

The other fact that I'm scared of considering is that Shannon Byrnes may be fit and he has defied every logical formula on performance to get six games so far this season - so he could be back!

Babyshit is more gold than brown in my recollection - perhaps babyshit gold and arrogant, smug, [censored] [censored] brown.

Barrett brown.

In: Jetta, Frawley

Out: Salem, Dawes

We've seen this year that Roos isn't going to give players one game then shunt them back to Casey. Toumpas may have gotten a lucky break last week, but now that he's in I think he'll get at least one more game. Meanwhile Salem struggled against Richmond and I think could benefit from a return to Casey now that he's had a good run at AFL level. He'll know what's required and what he needs to work on.

JKH to return to playing full games (was not a fan of him being the sub), Toumpas or Riley to start sub this week.

• Like 1

JONES WILL PLAY.

Baby jones is due in the week of the Round 16 Darwin Game, not the Alice Springs Game

Edited by Chippy

We are talking about his impact as a forward. That is where he will play probably 70% of his game after all. Our forwardline would have been too tall with Gawn, Dawes and Frawley and thats no disrespect to big Maxy. Dawes out now makes it a non discussion.

Yes we will in Gold and Babyshit brown

thats sewage pipe yellow and babyshit brown

• Like 1

We could draft a Jones girl, could be tougher than many blokes.

We should lobby the AFL now for a father-daughter rule, as there will probably be a standing MFC women's team by then ...

Relax, somebody on here has decided Port are the fittest side in the comp, so it now becomes fact

Not sure who it was on here but they are not Robinson Crusoe, opposition coaches are commenting on how they run out games, as do their 4th quarter performances support the argument. There are rumours floating around their fitness head (Burgess) has them doing a lot more running and it is a change from what footy departments have done in recent times.

But it's a marathon not a sprint, whilst they look to be running hot now at some stage they may become fatigued or burnt out. But I would think they have enough runs on the board now to start rotating their list and freshen them up

• Like 1

Jones has said he definitely plans to be there for the birth of his baby. I hoping he doesn't plan skip the game though just because it's in Alice Springs and the baby is due around the same time. Babies rarely come on their exact due date and anything between 37 to 41 weeks is considered quite normal. And even if she goes into labour while he's in Alice Springs, usually first time mothers have long labours so I would think he would be able to get back in time.

Really hope he plays!

Would you go interstate on a work trip on your wife's due date (assuming you're male of course)?

Why would Nathan Jones, just because he's a footballer?

Would you go interstate on a work trip on your wife's due date (assuming you're male of course)?

Why would Nathan Jones, just because he's a footballer?

LOL at these type of comments that pop up now and then

i'm tipping undeeterred's job doesn't pay 500K a year and he doesn't have 35,000 people depending on him.. and is probably not in contention for the Brownlow medal.. and is probably not the captain of his organisation

bit silly isn't it to compare Nathan Jones to you or I's pedestrian existence isn't it?

LOL at these type of comments that pop up now and then

i'm tipping undeeterred's job doesn't pay 500K a year and he doesn't have 35,000 people depending on him.. and is probably not in contention for the Brownlow medal.. and is probably not the captain of his organisation

bit silly isn't it to compare Nathan Jones to you or I's pedestrian existence isn't it?

Agreed with this

He has 50 years to spend time with his son

Its not worth missing a game of footy over

Now watch the outrage from all the moral warriors on here lol