Selection for Port Adelaide

Sad Dee

There are going to be some interesting decisions for our next round.

Frawley has to come back. Who for? I would think Gawn is a keeper. Does he go back into defence for Terlich?

What about Jetta? Does he come back in? Again, for whom?

Unfortunately I think Dawes will get a week, so Chip will be straight in.

Jetta has to be in for either Toumpas or Salem I would expect, although I'm loathe to see either dropped. Salem might need a run at a lower level.

We need Jetta to help on their rotation of small forward / mids - Robbie Gray, Wingard and Monfries are all fantastic to watch...unless your team is playing them and then they're horrifying.

• Like 3

There are going to be some interesting decisions for our next round.

Frawley has to come back. Who for? I would think Gawn is a keeper. Does he go back into defence for Terlich?

What about Jetta? Does he come back in? Again, for whom?

It's always a good sign when we are finding it hard to find a player who should be dropped for someone else

• Like 2

Toumpas, Salem, Riley could all stay in, go out or be made sub.

Frawley and Jetta could come back in.

If Dawes gets the all clear then I'm leaning just in favour for Frawley in to the backline and making a tough call on a defender.

No doubt Roos will once again follow the selection model of rewarding those who have played well and not making mass changes.

Gawn was good but you need to match Port for run and they only play one true ruckman, Chip must come in if fit. Jetta possibly also required for their mid sized forwards. Also playing the fittest side in the comp in my opinion so who is the least likely to be able to run out a full game if required of Salem and Riley should miss. Assuming Dawes not outed:

In: Frawley, Jetta

Out: Gawn, Salem

Gawn was good but you need to match Port for run and they only play one true ruckman, Chip must come in if fit. Jetta possibly also required for their mid sized forwards. Also playing the fittest side in the comp in my opinion so who is the least likely to be able to run out a full game if required of Salem and Riley should miss. Assuming Dawes not outed:

I can see what you're saying re ruckmen but one of the big reasons our mids are doing as well as they are is Jamar is giving them first look at it. Having Gawn in the team poses problems for any defence and he is a talented second ruck.

Leaving him out hands back one of the few advantages we have over Port and we will look to bottle the game up and make it a stoppage affair. Gawn is a must for me. Salem and Toumpas are vulnerable.

• Like 4

This will be one of the toughest team selection the club's faced in years, for a good reason though!

Frawley is too good not to have in the team but jeez Gawn was good at it was great to have a proper second ruck to support Jamar. He is our current future ruck prospect and if he's playing well he has to get game time. Jetta was doing a great job before his gastro, but Toumpas needs to get experience and he didn't do a hell of a lot wrong, and Salem didn't look out of water for his first full run.

Gonna be some headaches after the bye!

Edited by Pates

dont know if you have to match port for run.

yesterday getting the pill forward and having somebody clunk a couple of grabs made the backman from richmond stop running and stay at home.

this seems to be the secret to stopping teams run off the backline{port speciality}if a big forward gets fed from the midfield all running out of the backline stops,we achieved that yesterday and hopefully more in the future.

• Like 1

It's always a good sign when we are finding it hard to find a player who should be dropped for someone else

I cant even remember when the last time we had that problem was...

If Dawes gets the all clear then I'm leaning just in favour for Frawley in to the backline and making a tough call on a defender.

Don't soft out us master - name which one? Your options are Dunn, Howe, Garland, McDonald, Grimes and Terlich. The former 4 are untouchable at this stage I think. I know many would choose Terlich, but I just can't see it happening. Grimes could potentially move in to the middle. By the same token if we decide that there's no scope for moving a defender, then one of the little forwards would have to make way (Salem or Toumpas) and we'd have a very top heavy forward line with Dawes, Gawn, Frawley and Pedersen with JKH and one of Salem or Toumpas.

The defender conundrum makes Jetta a problem too. If we want to play Frawley as a defender, we've already got one too many defenders as it is. As I think this through I'd be inclined not to pick Jetta and play Garland as a small along with Grimes and Terlich.

In: Frawley

Out: Salem (/Dawes)

Don't soft out us master - name which one? Your options are Dunn, Howe, Garland, McDonald, Grimes and Terlich. The former 4 are untouchable at this stage I think. I know many would choose Terlich, but I just can't see it happening. Grimes could potentially move in to the middle. By the same token if we decide that there's no scope for moving a defender, then one of the little forwards would have to make way (Salem or Toumpas) and we'd have a very top heavy forward line with Dawes, Gawn, Frawley and Pedersen with JKH and one of Salem or Toumpas.

The defender conundrum makes Jetta a problem too. If we want to play Frawley as a defender, we've already got one too many defenders as it is. As I think this through I'd be inclined not to pick Jetta and play Garland as a small along with Grimes and Terlich.

In that case where are we going to put Jesse Hogan!!

Yeah if Frawley comes in to the backline I'd obviously keep McDonald as the other tall defender. Then play Garland and Dunn as versatile defenders That makes 4.

I'd be inclined to keep Terlich, Grimes and Howe and play 7 defenders. The 4 bigger guys plus Grimes I'd play 85-90% game time in defence. By my calculations that leaves about 150% or more game time for the 6th and 7th defender, who would be Terlich and Howe and I'd use them both about 75% game time down back with some brief stints on the wing. Pretty much rotate the 7 guys through 6 positions and at times use 1 or 2 of them on the wing.

Jetta is the interesting one. If you use Garland or Dunn in his back pocket stopping role then he probably doesn't beat the likes of Terlich, Grimes or Howe as rebounding defenders. But that's presuming Grimes and Terlich clean up the mistakes that continue to plague them. If Frawley is added to the defensive mix then there's going to be 8 or more defenders pushing for 6 or maybe 7 spots.

I really don't like the top heavy forward line. As good as Gawn was in giving us a really good second ruck I don't feel he's cemented his spot yet.

Definitely some selection headaches this week and moving forward as the best 22 still needs to be settled. Hogan and Trengove to slot in next year with a few of the fringes starting to make inroads such as Blease and Tapscott.

Would be a real shame to see either of Toump or Salem get dropped on the back of what was a promising performance. Of those two it would be Salem but I'd prefer neither. The kids need to keep playing as long as they are performing to the level required.

If Dawes escapes sanction, I'd be looking at Terlich to make way for Frawley. Which won't happen.

I'm not sure how selection is going to go down for this match. If we don't bring back Jetta, we'll be asking Grimes, Terlich and probably Garland to play on Wingard, Monfries, and Gray. Could work, but Jetta's done a pretty good job of shutting out small forwards and Wingard is a match-winner on his own. I'd be inclined to bring him back for Salem, who I think has hit the wall a bit.

As for Frawley, if Dawes misses I'd make that straight swap, but if Dawes stays then I'm not sure how to work him back. Dropping Gawn would be harsh given he played quite well yesterday, but if we don't drop Gawn then who goes? I also prefer Pedersen out of the ruck, but that may be a sacrifice we have to make.

In what regard is Garland untouchable? I don't think he played well yesterday, nor did he play well last week. It's probably a case of finding his feet at AFL level, but right now we are tight for positions and I'm not sure Garland is in the 'untouchable' group right now.

• Like 1

I like having gawn and Russian both in the side and pedo is playing well it's hard to decide who goes out , maybe Salem and toumpas for chip and jetta

I like having gawn and Russian both in the side and pedo is playing well it's hard to decide who goes out , maybe Salem and toumpas for chip and jetta

agreed, probably lose pigdog before the toomp or the witch though

depends if Dawes goes or not

In what regard is Garland untouchable? I don't think he played well yesterday, nor did he play well last week. It's probably a case of finding his feet at AFL level, but right now we are tight for positions and I'm not sure Garland is in the 'untouchable' group right now.

We know what Garlo is capable of from what he produced on a weekly basis last season. I'd be looking at Terlich, Grimes and T Mac before Garlo. He just needs a couple of weeks to get used to the level again.

Frawley must come back if fit. Someone will have to make room, perhaps undeservedly.