Changes for next week...

No changes save for injury. You don't have a massive win like that and then kick someone in the balls during the week by dropping them unless you absolutely have to.

Byrnes was fine - he isn't going anywhere without serious pressure from below.

Roos has said he wanted to build up confidence and faith in the group after a few years of brow beating and he preached a similar loyalty doctrine at Sydney.

It's why he must have decided to stand by his men after the loss to Sydney.

But in some ways its easier to drop players after a win, because there's less favoritism shown towards fellow underperformers who don't get dropped because there are less underpeformers.

There are two obvious changes this week and only blind stupidity will not see them happen.

Col Garland is a recognised senior player who has now played several VFL games and was clearly fit yesterday from all reports.

He must come in and that means Alex Georgiou - who has been a reliable, but less talented servant in his absence, gets dropped or if he is still a bit groggy from the weekend's clash, he can be rested.

The second change is that Jimmy T is 19, worked hard all summer and got dropped after two moderate games as a small forward. Hopefully he is the future along with the other five youngsters that played so well in Adelaide.

Shannon Byrnes is 30, has now played six moderate to poor games as a small forward and once again underwhelmed in Adelaide. His pressure count is nowhere near Rohan Bail's, so as much as he provides wisdom and maturity to the line up, I think with 17 players aged 23 or over in the side at moment we have got enough of that in spades.

If Kent is fit he will need a game in the VFL to get him going again.

Max Gawn and Mitch Clisby have made strong cases for a recall, but I can't see who they can replace at moment with Jetta off his first good game in 45 outings and Jamar and Pedo doing well.

The only other issue that I see is deciding if Frawley needs to go back to defence to get his confidence back up again. But I'm not sure who can be sent forward instead given Howey looked better down back - perhaps Col!

• Like 2

Mr Bean to be rested.

No changes unless forced by injury.

A new era at the Dees no reactive changes. Byrnes played his role and under our new management stays.

Salem should be sub again unless we lose Viney.

It feels like we are building up to something solid and now are not seen as easybeats.

Yesterday was the best win i have seen in 7 years. The players have seemed to finally "bought" into a coach and his game-plan, and it was important that they got some validity from this "buy in" with a win.

We are a serious chance to go back to back for the first time in ages next week, but it will be bloody tough.

Changes for this week will be pending of the VFL performances today of course. I'm hearing rumours of Frawley perhaps out, but so far the only change i would make would be:

Riley/Toumpas/Blease/Kent/ (whoever plays well in VFL) for Byrnes.

Byrnes perhaps stiff, as i didn't think he was that bad, but he isn't the future for us where others kids who are ready will be.

Whatever you think of Byrnes don't forget he comes from a successful culture and this is rubbing off. He CAN kick a goal .

Garland must be close and I'd like to see Gawn as a back up for Jamar. J was great. Best game I've seen him play for a long time but he can't go Solo forever and Spencer is a slight worry.

• Great win on the weekend but I still think we can improve the side.

• Clisby in for Terlich. Terlich was ok on Saturday but still is a liability due to poor decision making. Clisby and Jetta should be able to match up on Hunter and Dahlhaus (who is in really good form).
• Kent in for Byrnes. Kent is already the better player and is our future.
• Garland in for Georgiou or Frawley (if injured). Terlich gets a reprieve if both Georgiou and Frawley are injured. Garland is an automatic selection and, as much as I like Georgiou, we need a bit more drive off half back.
• Frawley needs to go back and so Dunn should go forward.
• Time to give Salem a full run at it.

• We cannot play two ruckmen so it needs to be either Jamar or Gawn.

FB: Garland Frawley Clisby

HB: Grimes McDonald Jetta
C: Vince N. Jones Howe
HF: Bail Pederson Dunn
FF: Salem Dawes JKH
Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross
Int: Viney Watts M. Jones Kent (sub)

edit: formatting

Edited by Fat Tony
  • Like 1

Cross out for Riley.

Riley is the future...possibly.

Usually agree with you ( and I think Riley could be something from the bits I have seen of him) but geez ..Cross ? He did make a couple of foot errors but love his hardness and his willingness to go as hard at the 120 minute mark as he does at the 1 minute mark.

• Like 2

Cross out for Riley.

Cross wasn't great but he was far from poor. He's probably top 3 in our B&F.

EDIT: Changes

After such a great win you'd think we'd have minimal changes. Garland is best 22 so someone needs to make way for him and unfortunately I'd say it'll be Georgio or Terlich. Viney's bump should be cleared if common sense prevails but it's the MRP so you just don't know, if he gets a week maybe Riley gets his shot as a sub. Salem surely has to start.

Edited by Pates

Nah, nah, nah. Cross is 31 yeah? Too old.

Jamar to be dropped too. Too god-damn old.

Potential future players - that's what it is all about.

Why play players on merit when you can have many different standards for players based on their age?

If injury forces a change, I'd have Clisby in for Georgiou (assuming Garland goes another week in the seconds for touch).

If Watts doesn't pull up, big Maxy comes in and rotates through the forward line. Frawley to go between back/forward as required.

Looks like you are having a bit of fun this morn 'rpfc'.

What makes you think that?

Dawes has a knee that he will be managing for the rest of his career.

Dawes out, Fitz in.

Future.

• Like 1

Cross out for Riley.

Someone's getting grumpy because people keep suggesting Byrnes out.

Yet you're overlooking that whilst Cross and Jamar have been very good players in their prime and are performing their roles very well that Byrnes is neither of those things.

• Like 2

Someone's getting grumpy because people keep suggesting Byrnes out.

Yet you're overlooking that whilst Cross and Jamar have been very good players in their prime and are performing their roles very well that Byrnes is neither of those things.

I agree with this to an extent. Byrnes is not having the impact of Jamar or Cross but he is doing some things right. Although he doesn't get a lot of it he creates pressure and space very well.

If someone of a similar position and capability to him was knocking down the door at Casey I'd be all for him coming in this week, however Byrnes holds his spot for now. An alternative could be having Byrnes as sub this week.

God knows I'd love to see Salem play a full game.

Cross out for Riley.

Are you kidding rfpc? Cross has to play based on both form and the fact that he will coming up against his former team.

People are very impressed with Salem's skills, attitude and judgement, as they should be - but significant illness last year affected his pre-season and he doesn't have the endurance for a full AFL game as yet. He'll be sub or at Casey until fitness staff give the all clear. We'll just have to wait, I hope not for long.

• Like 1