Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Players to target at the end of the year

Don't try and put words in my mouth. I didn't says roos got all those players. I said Sydney did.

I disagree on the rarely change clubs aspect. It happens every season and will happen more and more with free agency.

We as a club unfortunately are not a preferred location for anyone at the minute. I for one hate this. We are at the bottom at the wrong time and for a number of reasons.

I have said for years that we have been neglecting our midfield by not picking pure midfielders. I'm not talking outside run with the ball players because we picked them every year. Maybe we picked the wrong ones or didn't teach them properly but that is another topic.

We have hogan and must teach and look after him properly. If we lose him we will be stuffed in a lot of ways. We can try and trade in guys around him. He can be our gun if we do the right things.

This trade period and draft have to be about getting mids who can get the ball and rack up numbers. Our midfield is the worst in the afl. I don't like sledging players but whilst guys like Mckenzie and m jones get games we will be ordinary. I don't want McCartin or wright at the expense of Brayshaw or petracca or ahern. Laverde is a different player again and I'm not sure we have the luxury of picking.

Names of players get thrown around at this time of the year all the time. I don't really care who they are and what their past is as long as they can improve us and make us win. I'm sick of losing.

We might use our picks to trade in a tall like frost or jaksch but I hope we bring in at least 5 or 6 more mids in the trade/draft period.

My apologies, as you said “this is what Roos does” and then followed it up with examples from Sydney I assumed you were providing examples of what “Roos does”. Now that I think about it though, is it what Roos does? He trades in for run of the mill players and gives them roles, but Hall aside, the stars he had up in Sydney were all made up in Sydney, Goodes, O’keefe, Bolton, Kirk, O’loughlin, Kennelly etc. Darren Jolly and Nick Davis were the closest to ready made players that he brought in and neither were stars when he got them.

Yeah players change clubs every season, but as I highlighted, only 7 players of the 29 listed had changed clubs, 3 of those were for substantial money and another was a young player put up as part of a large trade for one of the better forwards in the league at that time. You can speculate about the future but the weight of empirical data leans heavily towards drafting tall forwards early on as the way to guarantee a star KPF. Hopefully Hogan comes on and we don’t have to worry about that though. As you said, I'm sick of losing.

I certainly dont' profess to know the varying talents of next year's crop of underage player - which I suspect puts me in good company here.

But a few points:

1) If Christian Petracca is clearly the best player in the draft as everyone here seems to be saying, then why St Kilda would not take him beggars belief - sure they need a key forward to replace Riewoldt but they also need midfielders to replace Goddard, Dal, Hayes and before too long Montagna.

2) Obviously as bad as our recruiting has been, there's a fair degree of luck involved - that's why Fyfe, Lachie Neale and others have slipped through. Most years aren't clearcut like Hodge, Ball and Judd.

3) We need a star (ideally two or three of them) and sadly we missed out on Bontempelli, Macrae and Wines in recent seasons and Heppell and Prestia and Fyfe and Dangerfield before that - but we weren't the only clubs who had overlooked them.

4) The more picks we take in the draft - albeit with a good judge guiding them - the more likelihood we have of getting lucky.

5) Star players generally don't come from trades - unless they are stolen from a club under the lure of cash - ie: Franklin. And most of those stars are moving to clubs in the window.

So my view is that if we are going to rise back up, then we need to get back to trading players in only for second or third rounders and that we keep our first-rounder(s) in the hope that eventually we get lucky and get a star.

Given we should be trying to get Stretch - his speed and vision and kicking makes him fit one of our key needs and to not go after him is being disloyal to father-sons and would be an embarrassment to us in the future should he end up being a gun.

So if he requires a second round (as draft experts such as Knightmare and others are now suggesting), then we also need to trade back into the second to be in the mix for GWS trades and players who slip through the system and end up being second-rounders (eg: Taylor, Darling).

And to do that we need to give up some of our under-performing fringe players with value to other clubs - ie: Watts to Carlton for pick 25, Toumpas to Port Adelaide for pick 33, Fitzy to North for pick 32 - we give them our third round pick 39 in return.

That would give us a fair chance at getting lucky, without decimating the existing side!

Talking to a Hawthorn supporter on the weekend, and I made the observation that Suckling would look good running of Melbournes backline, and he mentioned that he's definitely gettable; as he is viewed as a one trick pony (a very good trick, mind you) who is quickly getting overtaken by others. The knock apparent is that he's not viewed as strong overhead, or in the contest.

Would Suckling and Malceski, with Dunn and Jetta provide the run and carry we need, with Garland and McDonald our stoppers (of course Jetta, Dunn, Malceski are stoppers as well.

Like it a lot Ungarie, sign em up.

Talking to a Hawthorn supporter on the weekend, and I made the observation that Suckling would look good running of Melbournes backline, and he mentioned that he's definitely gettable; as he is viewed as a one trick pony (a very good trick, mind you) who is quickly getting overtaken by others. The knock apparent is that he's not viewed as strong overhead, or in the contest.

Would Suckling and Malceski, with Dunn and Jetta provide the run and carry we need, with Garland and McDonald our stoppers (of course Jetta, Dunn, Malceski are stoppers as well.

I'd take the Pig. He can find the ball and he can kick it to his own team. We can do with some of that.

I certainly dont' profess to know the varying talents of next year's crop of underage player - which I suspect puts me in good company here.

But a few points:

1) If Christian Petracca is clearly the best player in the draft as everyone here seems to be saying, then why St Kilda would not take him beggars belief - sure they need a key forward to replace Riewoldt but they also need midfielders to replace Goddard, Dal, Hayes and before too long Montagna.

2) Obviously as bad as our recruiting has been, there's a fair degree of luck involved - that's why Fyfe, Lachie Neale and others have slipped through. Most years aren't clearcut like Hodge, Ball and Judd.

3) We need a star (ideally two or three of them) and sadly we missed out on Bontempelli, Macrae and Wines in recent seasons and Heppell and Prestia and Fyfe and Dangerfield before that - but we weren't the only clubs who had overlooked them.

4) The more picks we take in the draft - albeit with a good judge guiding them - the more likelihood we have of getting lucky.

5) Star players generally don't come from trades - unless they are stolen from a club under the lure of cash - ie: Franklin. And most of those stars are moving to clubs in the window.

So my view is that if we are going to rise back up, then we need to get back to trading players in only for second or third rounders and that we keep our first-rounder(s) in the hope that eventually we get lucky and get a star.

Given we should be trying to get Stretch - his speed and vision and kicking makes him fit one of our key needs and to not go after him is being disloyal to father-sons and would be an embarrassment to us in the future should he end up being a gun.

So if he requires a second round (as draft experts such as Knightmare and others are now suggesting), then we also need to trade back into the second to be in the mix for GWS trades and players who slip through the system and end up being second-rounders (eg: Taylor, Darling).

And to do that we need to give up some of our under-performing fringe players with value to other clubs - ie: Watts to Carlton for pick 25, Toumpas to Port Adelaide for pick 33, Fitzy to North for pick 32 - we give them our third round pick 39 in return.

That would give us a fair chance at getting lucky, without decimating the existing side!

Because every year has gun mids, quality talls not so often.

Heard a rumour today that the special assistance PJ asked for was financial assistance to pay the full salary cap, allowing Melbourne to offer the money it has spare for a recruiting spree

Or to give Blease his well earnt lucritive contract

• Like 1

theres some north players that are sorta flying under the radar atm, guys like Cunnington, Ziebells had an off year but great potential, atley - these guys are good players, with heaps of upside.

Mason woods a young forward that looked good against us. I wonder if they would entertain an offer for ben brown, the kid looks like he could be a monster. literally.
Not suggesting these guys are on melbournes cards, but they should be on the radar for a trade*

Edited by Deez

Aaron Edwards? A specific medium leading forward. Has had some solid games this year. Delisted today

He only ever performed against the Dees been unstoppable v MFC Dud else where Go Figure!

Would pick 2 get you O'Rourke, Jaksch and Frost from GWS if you threw in say Blease, who is a good mate of the $7m man and/or a later pick.

Pick 2 would get them Petracca if Saints pass on him.

None of the GWS guys I named is a star but all could have good careers with us.

Problem could be if Saints took Petracca then GWS could take Brayshaw and 2 best mids are gone.

Trading for pick 3 if we get it, could solve that problem if we promised not to take Petracca.

Other possibility is if we get a PP even say at about 20 we could trade for O'Rourke and Frost and get a lower pick back.

That would leave higher picks to trade 1 and use the other in draft.

• Like 2

Taken in rookie draft and averages 12 posessions

This would be a good point if it were not for the fact that key position backs don't have to get lots of possessions to be the best.

As pointed out in another thread - Talia averages less than 12 touches a game and he goes alright...

• Like 1

This would be a good point if it were not for the fact that key position backs don't have to get lots of possessions to be the best.

As pointed out in another thread - Talia averages less than 12 touches a game and he goes alright...

Why would you bring Talia into it apparently Olisik wasn't talking about him LOL

Would have thought we’d still push hard for Shiel if we were to trade pick 2 to GWS. Don’t think we have as much interest in O’Rourke.

Shiel plus Frost for pick 2 might be doable, not sure if we could push to get something further back in return.

• Like 2

Why would you bring Talia into it apparently Olisik wasn't talking about him LOL

Read the thread properly. I said "I would pay 5th rounder for Frost", which got a reply that a "1st rounder was sufficient".

Either your really deluded or enjoy making up [censored]

Read the thread properly. I said "I would pay 5th rounder for Frost", which got a reply that a "1st rounder was sufficient".

Either your really deluded or enjoy making up [censored]

Really I know I shouldn't do this to the less fortunate but from the Frawley thread Post #2045 which responded to your post of

Olisik

http://www.heraldsun...=herald sun_rss

Average disposals 12 per game…..i wouldn't be giving anything higher then a 5th rounder for this kid

Dazzle Davey

Post #2045

You look absolutely silly here.. why?

Daniel Talia who just won Adelaides best and fairest and in the All Australian 40 squad averages 11.8 disaposals per game this year. He played all 22 games.

I would happily give up first round draft pick.

and your response was

Olisik

He was taken in the rookie draft and you would want to give up pick 2 or 3 for him?

So I'm not making sh%t up nor deluded, you're just playing silly buggers or were to dumb to realise Dazzle was talking about Talia even though he actually named the player for you