Players to target at the end of the year

On the flip side of that we still need an extra player or two around that range who can work with Cross and Vince to model the right training habits, work ethic on the field and to impart some knowledge on them as well. Sounds a bit cliche but we still lack those types of players at the minute. We would need to be very strategic about who it is we might get and how we get them but I don't think Roos will totally ignore players around that age range.

I think this is right. We will need to turnover the list again at years end, bring in some new kids, some in the 20's as 'Sat' suggests. Then if the right player comes along it would be strategic as you say.

At his best, O'Keefe is a level above Cross - who has been one of our better players this year.

Ryan O'Keefe was a level above Vince and probably still is.

He'd be a good pick up.

...was. He's well past his best now so what level is he at. A good NEAFL player??

I like the idea of O'Keefe but I feel it may have passed him by.

Brett Anderson tweeting the mail is that Malceski to Demons is a near certainty.

this is the same guy that claimed Jeremy Cameron was coming to the Demons

I guess we will ind out in a couple of months if hes got the best sources in the business or hes just full of crap

I guess we will ind out in a couple of months if hes got the best sources in the business or hes just full of crap

Personally hoping he's got good sources, couple of All Australian quality players would not hurt at all

• Like 1

Steady on. Anderson just confirmed that a Herald Sun journo was referring to an approach from Melbourne to Cameron in an oblique article that was published. Any hyperbole about Cameron coming to the Dee’s was down to others.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if Roos goes after anybody over 30 this year, he still has Cross and Vince, we need guys in their early 20's to grow for 2 years under Roos

I think we can discount vince.

I know he is 29, but he is the most youthful 29 year old I've seen.

He's got a long time left i believe.

• Like 1

He's also a Melbourne man through and through.

Pick 2 or 3 for Ryan griffen. I reckon that would be a good deal cause they need a key foward. No truth to it.. Just a personal thought.

Ryan Griffen is 28 and has ankle issues

Edited by hogans_heroes

Again, although I was proved wrong with Cross, why is O'Keefe not getting a game with the Swans, they even brought in Membery? for Franklin at the weekend

I think we are past that, if you listen to Roos' presser this morning, there are players who are not listening, I don't think there is a need for another old wisehead, personally I hope whoever we bring in is under 25

I think there is some truth to that, although to hear Roos say there are players who are not listening even lends itself to the idea of recruiting more experience at the top end to show the younger fellas what it's all about. It's one thing to tell them, but to have others to demonstrate every day at training and on game day is something else altogether.

As I said before, the recruitment of a mature age player would need to be a strategic - if there is no one out there who Roos thinks would be beneficial to the list then I have no doubt he won't recruit them. But if someone comes up for the right price who can bring something valuable to our list while still contributing to a good level (eg. Malceski) then I also have no doubt that Roos will go hard to recruit them.

Edit - And you only need to read the article on how hard Cross has worked to come back from his injury and the example that sets and you realise that having a guy with that experience and work ethic on our list can only be a good thing. If the opportunity to get another player like Cross comes along then I would hope the club has no hesitation in taking them.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 2

we need some top end talent in the door over the next couple of years

Roosy will want to hand this list over with some seriously good young players, with some good development and understanding of the game plan ready to go to the next level

ROK may be good to set standards at training, but I don't believe he will perform as well as Cross has on field. He isn't getting a game at Sydney for a reason. They're choosing to debut kids leading into finals rather than playing him.

Jeff Garlett is an interesting one to consider. Out of favor at the Blues, think he is only 24-25, over 100 games experience, kicked over 40 goals last season which is more than any Melbourne player has kicked for 4-5 years. We'd get a few years out of him as a small forward and he will always chime in with a few goals. Depending on the off-field side of things I'd say he would be worth a good look and wouldn't cost much in a trade.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 1

ROK may be good to set standards at training, but I don't believe he will perform as well as Cross has on field. He isn't getting a game at Sydney for a reason. They're choosing to debut kids leading into finals rather than playing him.

Jeff Garlett is an interesting one to consider. Out of favor at the Blues, think he is only 24-25, over 100 games experience, kicked over 40 goals last season which is more than any Melbourne player has kicked for 4-5 years. We'd get a few years out of him as a small forward and he will always chime in with a few goals. Depending on the off-field side of things I'd say he would be worth a good look and wouldn't cost much in a trade.

To be fair, Daniel Cross wasn't getting a game at a low side last year.

Agree with the first part in terms of ROK - would bring plenty to the club, but the game may well and truly have passed him by. Roos would know more but I don't have huge faith in his abilities anymore.

I don't think Garlett would be someone worth bringing in to the club. Flashy, inconsistent and wouldn't really fit the Roos mould either.

Hopefully, we have Salem, Toumpas and Trengrove coming back with another pre-season under Roos and committed to proving to Demonlanders why they were all top ten draft picks! (Maybe also Watts with something to prove?)

Was happy when Salem was mentioned .. ah the other two?? BIG QUESTION MARKS REMAIN ,,, Let's not kid ourselves!

To be fair, Daniel Cross wasn't getting a game at a low side last year.

Cross still played 13 games last year and averaged 23 touches. Round 23 he picked up 27 disposals against us.

ROK played 4 games this year and averaged 10 disposals. Vastly different quality and quantity of output.

But yes, Cross didn't play all games and was pushed out as we did to Junior a few years ago now.

I still think Garlett would be worth a look. We have zero defensive pressure at present. He would add that pressure and chime in with a few goals too. If the off field is ok, then he's worth a look.

Obviously Malceski would be a great pick up. He is a quality user of the ball, a good leader, and will be All Australian Half Back this year. Hopefully the rumors of him coming to us are true!

• Like 3

It's all about style of play. What suits us. Skill is needed. Malcevski, O'Keefe do not waste possession like 19/22 on Sunday.

I suppose it has to do with disposal but has to also do with the opportunity your team mates are creating to pass to. At the present we create next to none.

• Like 1

Pass on Garlett. A player prone to going missing for extended periods will literally become the invisible man if he comes here.

We need consistent performers. Malceski is one of those.

I dont think we can overlook the possibility of someone like Garlett it really comes down to us taking chances on some players who other clubs have overlooked or who are not getting the best out of them. Roos and co maybe able to do that with Garlett, having him running around enthusiastically kicking goals would be a significant improvement for our half forward line