Essendon v Casey Scorpions

Clisby in for Terlich next week, yeah? (Unless his 28 touches were all dreadful…)

McKenzie a possibility?

Pretty disappointing that none of Trengove, Toumpas, and Michie got more than 19 touches.

Michie had his jaw fractured in the first quarter. Probably had some effect but he got the last two clearances that resulted in the two goals won the game. Fair bit of guts from a 3 game player. Tagged heavily throughout.

• Like 3

Michie had his jaw fractured in the first quarter. Probably had some effect but he got the last two clearances that resulted in the two goals won the game. Fair bit of guts from a 3 game player. Tagged heavily throughout.

Well that's just great injury news isn't it.

So Salem did play...

20 disposals.. Would love to know how he looked out there if anyone was in attendance.

Well if he was the guy in no. 64 then average IMO

The game in the first half was not a great standard and a scramble with lots of poor kicking and turn overs.

But first game so don't use that game to judge much about his future.

Fancy that.

A kid in his first VFL game for the club didnt set the world on fire...

Panic stations everyone.

Don't rush.

But we should have taken Dunstan!

He's probably one of those players who keeps his best for the AFL and never performs at VFL level.

Have we ever had one of those?

Very surprised to hear Welsh was slagging off the "Paul Roos game".

That sounds particularly worrisome to me.

Difficult to develop players the way you want when the Casey coach I openly potting the gameplan, coaching in a diametrically opposed manner, and playing MFC players out of the positions intended.

Very concerning.

If that is to continue, I'd like to see the club flex its muscle a little, and suggest we may look to a stand alone team next season, a proposition that would see Casey fold and MFC pick up the pieces.

Not ideal, but neither is the current situation, if things are being reported accurately.

Bring back the AFL Reserves comp and let the VFL worry about itself

I agree with the majority of that WJ.

Saw Brad there he looked very fit, looked like he could have pulled on the boots himself.

That's good to hear (er ... read) OD. Some of the past versions of the VFL report have been rather flowery pieces that tended to gild the lilly a bit so you were never quite sure.

I've been impressed with Nev Jetta for quite some time and really hope that he can find his way back onto the senior list. He might have to wait until after mid season when I think you can elevate a rookie without putting someone on the LTI list.

That's good to hear (er ... read) OD. Some of the past versions of the VFL report have been rather flowery pieces that tended to gild the lilly a bit so you were never quite sure.

I've been impressed with Nev Jetta for quite some time and really hope that he can find his way back onto the senior list. He might have to wait until after mid season when I think you can elevate a rookie without putting someone on the LTI list.

IMO WJ he was Casey''s best player.

No one put in four good quarters, he was ok in the first half then he was moved to the mid field / forward line .

In the third quarter when the game was waiting for some one to win it for their side he stood up.

Then had a rattling last quarter, the mark that Brad referred to was in the middle of a pack and he was the shortest one there.

Goaled to make the scores even with only a couple of minutes to go.

Of all the Casey players he was the one who scream play me in the seniors next week.

Which of course cannot happen because he is a rookie.

IMO he is a midfield / forward if he cannot make it there with the senior side he won't make it.

All the good games I have seen him play are in that role.

Again IMO he is a crap backman, I just don't think his heart is in it.

PS saw his wife and daughter at the game they walked in just in front of me.

I saw this little girl in a MFC jumper and thought brave kid.

Then realised who she was, she was beaming when daddy kicked that goal.

Just one of the fun bits from Sunday.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

IMO WJ he was Casey''s best player.

No one put in four good quarters, he was ok in the first half then he was moved to the mid field / forward line .

In the third quarter when the game was waiting for some one to win it for their side he stood up.

Then had a rattling last quarter, the mark that Brad referred to was in the middle of a pack and he was the shortest one there.

Goaled to make the scores even with only a couple of minutes to go.

Of all the Casey players he was the one who scream play me in the seniors next week.

Which of course cannot happen because he is a rookie.

IMO he is a midfield / forward if he cannot make it there with the senior side he won't make it.

All the good games I have seen him play are in that role.

Again IMO he is a crap backman, I just don't think his heart is in it.

PS saw his wife and daughter at the game they walked in just in front of me.

I saw this little girl in a MFC jumper and thought brave kid.

Then realised who she was, she was beaming when daddy kicked that goal.

Just one of the fun bits from Sunday.

A somewhat maligned player by some under Neeld's reign i think OD.

His disposal effectiveness percentage is much higher than most team mates', 2nd overall up to about Round 15 last year (4 matches) as was his tackle count (8th overall).

Just doesn't seem to get enough possessions though (30th vs team mates' average) but that might improve with another pre season now under his belt and now some further development at Casey. Could this low possession count also be a case of team mates not really looking for him and instead targeting the usual's like Watts, Howe, Sylvia and Davey last season? Might pick up if this changes.

Your review above is some indication that he appears to be heading in the right direction (pardens to Renee Geyer). Might be worth the elevation when possible as some are suggesting mate.

• Like 1

How was Nev's pace?

Good at either end WJ. I think he copped a corky late in the last quarter but still managed that mark.

I have said this elsewhere but it just looked like to me he said in the last quarter to hell with stay down for the crumbs I am getting the ball. Get out of the way.

The stats

Sam Blease 2 goals 21 disposals 10 kicks 11 handballs 3 tackles 76 Dream Team Points

Mitch Clisby 1 goal 29 disposals 15 kicks 14 handballs 5 marks 4 tackles 108 Dream Team Points

James Harmes 14 disposals 9 kicks 5 handballs 3 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 61 Dream Team Points

Jayden Hunt 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 4 marks 43 Dream Team Points

Mark Jamar 1 point 12 disposals 4 kicks 8 handballs 2 marks 3 tackles 36 hit outs 80 Dream Team Points

Neville Jetta 2 goals 1 behind 23 disposals 14 kicks 9!'handballs 3 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 61 Dream Team Points

Max King 7 disposals 2 kicks 5 handballs 13 hit out 26 Dream Team Points

Jordie McKenzie 1 goal 1 behind 37 disposals 14 kicks 23 handballs 7 marks 4 tackles 130 Dream Team Points

Viv Michie 17 disposals 8 kicks 9 handballs 2 marks 45 Dream Team Points

Daniel Nicholson 27 disposals 15 kicks 12 handballs 8 marks 90 Dream Team Points

Aidan Riley 23 disposals 7 kicks 16 handballs 2 marks 5 tackles 75 Dream Team Points

Christian Salem 20 disposals 12 kicks 8 handballs 5 marks 2 tackles 75 Dream Team Points

Jimmy Toumpas 1 goal 1 behind 24 disposals 12 kicks 12 handballs 9 marks 89 Dream Team Points

Jack Trengove 1 goal 25 disposals 6 kicks 19 handballs 7 marks 4 tackles 80 Dream Team Points

3 Dees players in particular put a smile on my face on Sunday.

Jetta played the best game I have seen him play.

Everyone of his possessions was important. He seemed to have some real belief that at this level he is one of the best players on the park. Was also barking orders and offering encouragement to teammates throughout.

I thought McKenzie was also very good. Used the ball cleanly and kicked an excellent goal hemmed into the boundary line.

Jamar looked very rusty and frustrated around the ground. He fumbled a number of marks he would normally one grab. When the game was on the line in the last 3 centre clearances he was just fantastic, match winning ruck work.

Needs at least another week to regain touch (probably 2) but it was great to be reminded of what he can do.

Edited by kieranbj

The Melbourne Football Club website has posted development coach Brad Miller's VFL Player Review

I think Miller's reviews are far more interesting than what we've previously seen. Each seems to have been carefully worded to send a message to the player concerned. If I'm right, the players being considered for promotion this week would be McKenzie, Nicholson and Toumpas. Everyone else has been told where they need to improve - whether it's fitness, composure or touch.

(Is it just me or does the Hertz ad on either side of the screen make you think you're looking at the Richmond website?)

I think Miller's reviews are far more interesting than what we've previously seen. Each seems to have been carefully worded to send a message to the player concerned. If I'm right, the players being considered for promotion this week would be McKenzie, Nicholson and Toumpas. Everyone else has been told where they need to improve - whether it's fitness, composure or touch.

(Is it just me or does the Hertz ad on either side of the screen make you think you're looking at the Richmond website?)

I thought the same thing.

Edited by ManDee