Dayle Garlett Quits

stuie

What part of national comp don't players understand? I'm all for clubs being able to trade players without their permission. To many take everything for granted.

Being traded without someones consent is rubbish, I wouldn't like to end up at a club if i didn't want to go there.

Being traded without someones consent is rubbish, I wouldn't like to end up at a club if i didn't want to go there.

I'd argue that the players should be happy with any opportunity in the AFL, not everyone gets to play at this level and right now they're preventing clubs from getting the best possible trade for them by nominating one club and not budging

• Like 1

Must be the questionable culture down at the Hawks.

Exactly-there is no party vibe there.

I feel sorry for the kid but he has his whole life ahead of him .

He is a handsome dude and no doubt has a few girls back in WA he has been missing.

He might make it back to AFL one day.

I thought he was worth a shot.

I was wrong- it happens.

Please state some reasons for not wanting to play for a club. Take out the away from home factor. Over recent years all clubs have upgraded training facility's, access to doctors/nutritionists/physios ect at the top of the game. The is professional across the board.

And don't use the Dees as an example.

Luke Hodge, On The Couch "he's just gone back to WA to get his drivers licence."

I thought at the time, why not just get the damn thing in Vic?

• Like 1

Do you watch the NBA or the NFL?

If players want the AFL to become more like the big US sports - they are going to have to suck up some of the negatives that arise. One of them being that they can be traded without their consent.

• Like 2

He was speculative and the Hawks could afford a bad result.

True... but the problem for him now is that probably no team, not even in the west, will want to touch him. Very sad.

Edited by hardtack

True... but the problem for him now is that probably no team, not even in the west, will want to touch him. Very sad.

He's not dead or injured. AFL isn't for everybody.

Maybe its the best thing that happens to him - maybe playing footy with his mates and doing something else with his life is what will make him happy.

• Like 3

Well it's not, if that's what you were going for.

And if it's serious, it shows you probably don't know the kid is a lifelong diehard hawks supporter, with hawthorn tattoos across his body.

Either way, you look silly.

943343_167945673402807_666658466_n.jpg

Machsy I do remember reading that he's a Hawthorn supporter last year, but are you talking about this Hawks tattoo across his chest? That one that's been written in Sharpie? Or does he have a real one that's better hidden from Google images?

• Like 3

He's not dead or injured. AFL isn't for everybody.

Maybe its the best thing that happens to him - maybe playing footy with his mates and doing something else with his life is what will make him happy.

I hope you're right... I hope for his sake that AFL (like boxing for Fenech) wasn't going to be the thing that would keep him out of trouble.

In the American sports NBA, NFL etc. they are able to trade without a players consent and I believe this should be brought into the AFL. The biggest reason why is that the majority of these guys are paid well over the average wage. They are privliged to be playing in this competition but with this comes sacrifice. The clubs themselves though will be taking the biggest risk as if they pay for a player who doesn't want to be there then they will be free to walk at a later date, so a lot more thought wil go into it. But the AFL must eliminate what has been happening to clubs, th best example being Brisbane. That was an abolute disgrace as they had spent a lot of time, resources and not to mention the draft picks to get those players. They then got well under market price in all of the trades and were shafted. They have to stamp that out otherwise this comp really will turn into another English premier league when teams like Melbourne try to pick up a player but the Hawks and Geelong just swoop in and continue to top up their lists.

• Like 1

Must be the questionable culture down at the Hawks.

I don't think Hawthorne culture has anything to do with it. This kid was red flagged back in his junior days, its why no one drafted him last year despite his obvious talent. He simply just isn't ready to be a professional sportsman. He just need to go home and work out what he really wants to do in life and go after it with some purpose.

Good on Hawthorne for giving him a crack at it but I don't think any club could have done any better with the kid who just isn't up to it.

It's only a matter of time until players are able to be traded without their consent.

The players wanted free agency; they got it.

One of the clear side effects of that is unrestrained trading, where if the player's contract is honoured then that's all that matters - in other words, they get paid what they're entitled to and where they ply their trade is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's part and parcel of all the big American sports, and it'll happen here eventually - probably not for a decade or more (i.e. in two broadcast rights deals), but it will happen.

• Like 1

In the American sports NBA, NFL etc. they are able to trade without a players consent and I believe this should be brought into the AFL. The biggest reason why is that the majority of these guys are paid well over the average wage. They are privliged to be playing in this competition but with this comes sacrifice. The clubs themselves though will be taking the biggest risk as if they pay for a player who doesn't want to be there then they will be free to walk at a later date, so a lot more thought wil go into it. But the AFL must eliminate what has been happening to clubs, th best example being Brisbane. That was an abolute disgrace as they had spent a lot of time, resources and not to mention the draft picks to get those players. They then got well under market price in all of the trades and were shafted. They have to stamp that out otherwise this comp really will turn into another English premier league when teams like Melbourne try to pick up a player but the Hawks and Geelong just swoop in and continue to top up their lists.

Well put, as for the Americanisation of the game....trading of players has nothing to do with the rules on the ground. Our game is and always will be the greatest. 360degree , no offside , continual contests make this the most exciting and unique game to watch. Edited by Al's Demons

I don't feel sorry for him, this was his second chance a lifeline if you will and I guess I have never been a big fan of quiters. I feel sorry for the young men that missed out on the draft who would have given it their all.

Although I guess Hawthorn's selection of Garlett could of possibly been beneficial to us, for all we know the next best small forward/ midfielder available (indigenous too) was our very own JKH, I'm sure Hawthorn would of considered him and decided to risk that selection on the highly talented Garlett.

• Like 1

Well thank God we didn't get him, I admit I was saying lets pick him with pick 40 (but I would have rathered JKH anyway, didn't think he'd fall back so far though), thank you Dees recruiters.. for once ;)

Please state some reasons for not wanting to play for a club. Take out the away from home factor. Over recent years all clubs have upgraded training facility's, access to doctors/nutritionists/physios ect at the top of the game. The is professional across the board.

And don't use the Dees as an example.

Well if you have mates and have a life where you are I don't think they should be able to go and chuck you away without telling you first, I agree if a club wants to trade a player yeah they can do it but they should give them notice first.

Do you watch the NBA or the NFL?

If players want the AFL to become more like the big US sports - they are going to have to suck up some of the negatives that arise. One of them being that they can be traded without their consent.

I seriously don't want the AFL getting Americanised.

I seriously don't want the AFL getting Americanised.

It's happening.

And there are some aspects that are good for the sport - Free Agency has been a means to even the competition in the NFL and the NBA.

It is a far better model than the EPL-like dominance of a few teams that has been seen in the last few years.

Please tell me what you don't want to see in the AFL that the Americans do.