The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

its time.

lets get over to adelaide and give the keys to the safe to p dangerfield and r sloane.

• Like 1

I'm picking young Billy Carter from the Northern Knights to push from nowhere to top 3 contention.

Plays in the middle, runs all day (beep test of 16.4), is a great height at 189cm and is already built like a brick shithouse, having put on 12kg over summer. He's been tearing it up at preseason training and will be making a huge impact this season.

I'm pretty sure you just made up that entire post ;)

I'm pretty sure you just made up that entire post ;)

Haha yes I did, I was just waiting for someone to pick up on it. But seriously, he dominated for the Knights yesterday.

• Like 1

The bloke I think we need to keep an eye on is the Tasmanian Geoff Hayward. The other is McArthy, a Vic country boy. Apparently he's great. The other one ive heard a whisper about is Achilles Jones.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 1

"Demons cull recruiting team".

After poor recruiting over the last decade, Jason Taylor and Todd Viney will have town hall meetings with Demonland representatives.

" We could only do better" said one Demonland poster. Cook, Gysberts, Morton were spineless types all clearly not up to the rigors of the AFL. Young men with grit, determination, a desire to win are needed.

We cannot continue to get it so wrong.

• Like 1

Who cares.....ive been relying on the draft for the last ten years....it aint gonna change a thing.

Who cares.....ive been relying on the draft for the last ten years....it aint gonna change a thing.

That is because we draft poorly.

Go tell Port Adelaide the draft doesn't matter... Wines, Wingard, Hartlett and Boak - A very good core of quality players from quality draft picks.

MFC just drafted terribly, Gysberts, Cook, Morton, Toumpas and Strauss were all laughable picks.

MFC needed go getters and ball winners, determined players who show absolute resolve - and the best we could come up with is that lot - stick men with no aggression.

• Like 2

That is because we draft poorly.

Go tell Port Adelaide the draft doesn't matter... Wines, Wingard, Hartlett and Boak - A very good core of quality players from quality draft picks.

MFC just drafted terribly, Gysberts, Cook, Morton, Toumpas and Strauss were all laughable picks.

MFC needed go getters and ball winners, determined players who show absolute resolve - and the best we could come up with is that lot - stick men with no aggression.

Toumpas was hardly a laughable pick, he was clearly the more highly rated of all the players available, looking back Wines may have been a better selection based on what we need but Toumpas was rated much higher than Wines pre draft so i am certain we didn't surprise anyone with what we did there, Cook, Gysberts and Strauss are a totally different story, it's failures there that have cost us dearly, those blokes should all be in our top 10 players now

• Like 1

It depresses me that I'm interested in this thread at this time of the year with a likely outcome that we'll probably have a top 2 pick.

/sigh

Top 2 pick! Who are we going to finish above?

As for all those who say that Toumpas over Wines was the biggest mistake we made in years, come back to reality. A mistake, yeah probably. But had we drafted Wines over Toumpas, i'd dare say you'd be saying the same thing, just the other way around.

Wines would be nothing like he is now, if he were drafted by the MFC. It's amazing how good a player develops when in a proper team, as opposed to a club that just sucks the life out of the young players'.

Picking the right talent is half the battle, development is the other half. Development would be even greater (60/40) with picking the right talent, because a lot of players around pick 4 clearly have talent. It's how that talent is developed which results in their on-field status.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 2

"Demons cull recruiting team".

After poor recruiting over the last decade, Jason Taylor and Todd Viney will have town hall meetings with Demonland representatives.

" We could only do better" said one Demonland poster. Cook, Gysberts, Morton were spineless types all clearly not up to the rigors of the AFL. Young men with grit, determination, a desire to win are needed.

We cannot continue to get it so wrong.

Yep all mentally weak. At the first sign of adversity, they'd go to water. The good thing is they are off our list, the bad thing is, many more need to go. Give me players' that give a [censored] about the results rather than whether or not their bank payments made it through on time.

Should've got one last year.

Well given Demetriou gave the reason that our senior players that were injured would see us rise, and they haven't even got on the park yet, whilst also using that same excuse with our u18 selection in Hogan, who also hasn't got on the park. I feel that not only should they owe us last years PP (end of first round PP), they need to give us one for this year (before first round PP).

That would leave us with picks 1(PP), 2, 22ish (PP - factoring in other compo picks) and pick 23 (2nd round pick). Fantastic isn't it, talking draft picks at April! Though i did predict this cycle of pre-season excitement followed by reality setting in again early, followed by months of talking draft and trade.

Don't know the depth of this years draft, but do know the quality of talls might make some clubs desperate to trade for them. Would rather make similar Dom Tyson type trades like last year, as opposed to going down the all draft route (ala 2009). Bring in as much quality as we can for next year, not 2018ish (we might not be around then). Keep one of pick 1 or 2 for the draft, unless a really good deal comes up, then try and bring in quality young kids from other sides like we did with Tyson with the rest of our picks. No club is going to trade for our scraps.

• Like 1

I'm betting we have picks 1,2 and 3 1 as a pp 2 as our normal pick and 3 as compo for chip

i reckon we need to ask the club if it's possible to delist 20 players this year, 10 players next and get draft concessions because this list will not take us anywhere besides 7-10 decent players that we have

It depresses me that I'm interested in this thread at this time of the year with a likely outcome that we'll probably have a top 2 pick.

/sigh

last year it was after game 2.

• Like 1