Training - Friday, 13th December, 2013

Whispering_Jack

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys were out on the track early this morning - warming up from before 9am.

I didn't stick around for much. I was just on my way past but in order of importance:

- The Toump does NOT have a new tattoo so hopefully Mrs Toump won't be demanding him back to Adelaide any time soon, although on the flip side he may still see the thread content continue as above debating his manliness. For what it is worth, I think he'll be a rippa.

- Reilly, Dawes, Kent all doing stationary kicking with Miller. Kent left pretty early so don't think you'll get much a report on him

And that is about it! Looking forward to reading the more detailed reports later

I didn't stick around for much. I was just on my way past but in order of importance:

- The Toump does NOT have a new tattoo so hopefully Mrs Toump won't be demanding him back to Adelaide any time soon, although on the flip side he may still see the thread content continue as above debating his manliness. For what it is worth, I think he'll be a rippa.

- Reilly, Dawes, Kent all doing stationary kicking with Miller. Kent left pretty early so don't think you'll get much a report on him

And that is about it! Looking forward to reading the more detailed reports later

Thanks for the teaser.

Hanging out for the detailed ones on a slow work day.

Cheers for the early update Swooper but out of respect let's get this right from the start of this young man's career with us.

It's Aidan Riley. Aidan with two A's and Riley without the extra E's and extra L's.

We get it right to begin with and then hopefully we don't have a high percentage of people spelling his name wrong for his entire career.

Cheers for the early update Swooper but out of respect let's get this right from the start of this young man's career with us.

It's Aidan Riley. Aidan with two A's and Riley without the extra E's and extra L's.

We get it right to begin with and then hopefully we don't have a high percentage of people spelling his name wrong for his entire career.

I hope we have the spelling problem for many years to come!

Cheers for the early update Swooper but out of respect let's get this right from the start of this young man's career with us. It's Aidan Riley. Aidan with two A's and Riley without the extra E's and extra L's. We get it right to begin with and then hopefully we don't have a high percentage of people spelling his name wrong for his entire career.

Sound advice Ben Rusell

A few questions for anyone in attendance:

1 - Has Kent shed any kg's to date? I understand he's been restricted but I'm hoping to see a body shape change for him come next year.

2 - How did Tyson train today? Intensity, skills, voice etc

3 - Have Watts' training habits changed noticeably? Intensity ?

Thank you in advance

Thought I would kick off the thread about today's training with this item from melbournefc.com.au on our preseason training so far which highlights our two JT's:

Trengove, Toumpas impress on the track

We need these two to step up and bolster our on ball stocks.

Jack Trengove seems to be getting a lot of media at the moment. I would have thought this was counter productive. He's had a horrible two years, been promoted to captain only to relinquish it, played ordinary footy that would have seen him struggle for a spot in most teams and yet we seem to be promoting him.

I would have thought it would have been best to say nothing and just let him progress without expectation. Before anyone jumps, I love the guy and really want the best for him, I'm just not sure this is the best course.

I had a look for about 40 minutes, generally I liked what I saw.. I'm not sure how accurate my recollections are but it seem to me that the training for this time of year is quite different than it was under the last 2 coaches. Specifically I refer to the fact that all the drills are generally teamA vs teamB drills, that closely simulate match situations and are played with a lot of intensity including full contact - I even saw them getting some push and shove happening off the ball which is really pleasing to watch. I really liked the 'keepings off' drill where two teams had to flick it by hand to each other under immense pressure, to me this is one of the hallmarks of really good teams, they can weave it around in those situations without stuffing it up and turning it over. It also felt like there was very little time for them to rest up, they just kept getting flogged. I just feel like in previous years there was far less ball use and more fitness stuff, with little resemblance to match situations. Can't add too much else, I missed the actual situation but did see the aftermath of GUESS WHO - MITCH CLARK taking a whle to get up from the turf and then being removed from the drill to go and walk around with a grimace on his face and with a trainer checking him out. Knowing him that will probably be six weeks on the sidelines (just kidding, sort of). I'm not sure if he rejoined the group, others will know.

Was jogging past, and saw the boys tearing it up, so got sidetracked!

MC went down in a tackle late in the session, got up with pain in his right foot, wasn't happy, (as you wouldn't be), thumped the ground in frustration, got up, had a discussion with a staff member, (pity I can't lip read) walked it off, then progressed to a jog. There was then a couple of minutes pause between drills, after which MC joined in as direct opposition to Chip Frawley, and proceeded to run around at about 90% of full speed for the next minutes, during which he took a mark or two. He was not limping. He then came off as the training as a whole came to a close.

Without wanting to send too many of you into a frenzy of despair, it IS his problem foot, but he got back into full training within minutes afterwards. This suggests that he has been both getting these kind of irritations as he gets back to full weight bearing match simulation, and that there is minimal concern about it from the medical staff. I get the feeling (excuse the speculation, but I'm a Physio, and can't help trying to decipher the situation) that Clark himself has become hyper-aware of his foot and anything related to it. It unfortunately happens that the burden of having your livelihood and sense of self attached to the sensations in your foot create a hypersensitivity to any twinge or 'abnormal' feeling in the area. It's a downside of long term injury particularly. I won't speculate further.

In general, the vigour and speed of training is high. All the new boys look likely, Jack Trengove is looking fast, fit and happy, and Matt Jones, Nat Jones, Bernie Vince, Dan Cross, Jimmy Toumpas, Jeremy Howe and Jack Watts were all sparkling with ball in hand or otherwise. Toumpas, Gawn, and Viney all very noticeably bigger.

Was jogging past, and saw the boys tearing it up, so got sidetracked!

MC went down in a tackle late in the session, got up with pain in his right foot, wasn't happy, (as you wouldn't be), thumped the ground in frustration, got up, had a discussion with a staff member, (pity I can't lip read) walked it off, then progressed to a jog. There was then a couple of minutes pause between drills, after which MC joined in as direct opposition to Chip Frawley, and proceeded to run around at about 90% of full speed for the next minutes, during which he took a mark or two. He was not limping. He then came off as the training as a whole came to a close.

Without wanting to send too many of you into a frenzy of despair, it IS his problem foot, but he got back into full training within minutes afterwards. This suggests that he has been both getting these kind of irritations as he gets back to full weight bearing match simulation, and that there is minimal concern about it from the medical staff. I get the feeling (excuse the speculation, but I'm a Physio, and can't help trying to decipher the situation) that Clark himself has become hyper-aware of his foot and anything related to it. It unfortunately happens that the burden of having your livelihood and sense of self attached to the sensations in your foot create a hypersensitivity to any twinge or 'abnormal' feeling in the area. It's a downside of long term injury particularly. I won't speculate further.

In general, the vigour and speed of training is high. All the new boys look likely, Jack Trengove is looking fast, fit and happy, and Matt Jones, Nat Jones, Bernie Vince, Dan Cross, Jimmy Toumpas, Jeremy Howe and Jack Watts were all sparkling with ball in hand or otherwise. Toumpas, Gawn, and Viney all very noticeably bigger.

OK sounds like MC is OK then, thanks.

I too really like the look of Vince, can't wait for our shiny new midfield

I was there

Garlo tackled Mitch and just pinged the ankle a bit, as I said he is ultra cautious himself and immediately pulled out of the drill and got the physios out to check everything, spent about 5 minutes testing ... spoke to him when he had finished, got a smile and everything is cool.

Kent still has an issue with patella, looked a bit down so didn't pester him, seemed to be able to kick, so maybe not far away.

Same with Riley, got a thumbs up.

Dawes is back running, rehab group was him, Blease, Byrnes and JKH, asked Dawes when he had finished paraphrase "everything is ticking along nicely".

No shows today Fitzy, Jamar and Grimes.

Asked Garlo whether he was early nomination for most hated player on Melbourne list, roared with laughter, said he could hear the collective gasp.

Re C & B post, asked quite a few players, they said more footy than running, especially transition plays, they are 'enjoying it more' remember we only see open sessions

Spoke to Jesse Hogan, still wished the season started this weekend, now tips the scales at 101kg, they want him up at 103 for season start, again just a really nice laidback guy to talk to, but a great ad for white line fever.

Him and Cross were last off by about 5 minutes, complimented Cross on his work ethic, said it means a couple more kicks in a game, he took the opportunity, in front of Jesse to stress the need for all players to buy in, again I was impressed, already changed my mind about him.

Spoke to Nev Jetta, he confirmed, if a player has the slightest niggle they are in the rehab group, he was in it last week because he got a bit of quad tightness, also every player has an individual progam, he was on a light one this week.

McKenzie and Tapscott in full training.

And a bit bout Roos, spoke to Maia Westrupp, they are looking at playing him forward this year, told him he seemed to be running some good patterns in the drills for someone so new to the game, said, "Roosy and Millsy are working with me on them", has to work on his endurance and his kicking, he wasn't too bad today ... he did whole session and was then off round the Tan, Nathan Jones offered to do it with him (which was cool), but Brad Mills went.

Dom Tyson did most of the main group session.

Any questions feel free.

I was there

Garlo tackled Mitch and just pinged the ankle a bit, as I said he is ultra cautious himself and immediately pulled out of the drill and got the physios out to check everything, spent about 5 minutes testing ... spoke to him when he had finished, got a smile and everything is cool.

Kent still has an issue with patella, looked a bit down so didn't pester him, seemed to be able to kick, so maybe not far away.

Same with Riley, got a thumbs up.

Dawes is back running, rehab group was him, Blease, Byrnes and JKH, asked Dawes when he had finished paraphrase "everything is ticking along nicely".

No shows today Fitzy, Jamar and Grimes.

Asked Garlo whether he was early nomination for most hated player on Melbourne list, roared with laughter, said he could hear the collective gasp.

Re C & B post, asked quite a few players, they said more footy than running, especially transition plays, they are 'enjoying it more' remember we only see open sessions

Spoke to Jesse Hogan, still wished the season started this weekend, now tips the scales at 101kg, they want him up at 103 for season start, again just a really nice laidback guy to talk to, but a great ad for white line fever.

Him and Cross were last off by about 5 minutes, complimented Cross on his work ethic, said it means a couple more kicks in a game, he took the opportunity, in front of Jesse to stress the need for all players to buy in, again I was impressed, already changed my mind about him.

Spoke to Nev Jetta, he confirmed, if a player has the slightest niggle they are in the rehab group, he was in it last week because he got a bit of quad tightness, also every player has an individual progam, he was on a light one this week.

McKenzie and Tapscott in full training.

And a bit bout Roos, spoke to Maia Westrupp, they are looking at playing him forward this year, told him he seemed to be running some good patterns in the drills for someone so new to the game, said, "Roosy and Millsy are working with me on them", has to work on his endurance and his kicking, he wasn't too bad today ... he did whole session and was then off round the Tan, Nathan Jones offered to do it with him (which was cool), but Brad Mills went.

Dom Tyson did most of the main group session.

Any questions feel free.

Great stuff Saty ... how is Barry looking now? particularly when seen alongside some of our newer and more highly regarded recruits? He's a player I would love to see getting a chance.