WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - ALEXIS GEORGIOU

Whispering_Jack

I started counting but got bored - amazing, though not surprising, that there are so many mere mortal posters here who know, and know they know, more that our professional recruiting and footy management - the 2014 version of course.

That said, he would, if it works out well for him, have to be the shortest star KPD in recent decades.

You don't come as half a merchant banker, do you?

You've used a fair bit of artistic license to interpret what others have said.

His role is to shutdown key forwards, stop them from kicking 4+ goals, it does not mean he has to be a rebound defender. Though it would obviously help. i think another big factor in Alexis's favour is the mental anguish he is likely to impart into the opposition, opposition players are going to feel silly being beaten by mr bean. Go Alexis give them hell, or your beanish version of it.

His role is to shutdown key forwards, stop them from kicking 4+ goals, it does not mean he has to be a rebound defender. Though it would obviously help. i think another big factor in Alexis's favour is the mental anguish he is likely to impart into the opposition, opposition players are going to feel silly being beaten by mr bean. Go Alexis give them hell, or your beanish version of it.

Well crafted post.

I wish Alexis every success. However, he is (I'm guessing) about pick 120 overall. If he ends up playing more than 10 games for the club he should be adjudged an huge success

Fair call I would have thought. I reckon he may get to 30+.

Dazzle, in relation to your other post re Alex, he's probably just as likely to surprise. That's sometimes the way it works.

Many would be very surprised were he to turn out a star, but aren't surprises supposed to be just that - a surprise?

Let's hope we get lots of surprises through 2014 - nice ones.

In actuality, Fitzy's field kicking was very good this year. I've just re watched a few games without being blinded by preconceptions and was surprised by how effective his field kicking has become. Not pretty but pretty effective.

IIRC Clint Bizzell was 187cm and often beat much bigger blokes.

Gibson is listed as 189cm and is probably the shortest key defender in the comp along with Dale Morris at 190cm. I can't think of anyone else below that. In that regard I think Georgiou can only be counted as a third tall. And if playing against a team with 2 big forwards (ie. Sydney with Franklin and Reid) and a big second ruck/forward (ie Tippett) then he can only be counted as a 4th tall.

But I really hope he can impress early in training as if a key defender or third tall defender goes down we either choose between Pedersen or Georgiou or going in small (unless Dawes and Fitzy are fit and we move Hogan). Either way to be the lowest on the list midfielder means you are miles from getting a game. To be the lowest on the list lock down mid-tall sized defender means you are always a shot at getting a game at some stage if you are in form. After McDonald, Garland and Frawley it's Pedersen and Dunn next in line for a game. That's not a hard competition to be put in and why I was really hoping Scharenberg or Kolodjashnij made it to pick 9 as they would've been in line for games developing from half back very early in their career.

I think that comparison, from his attributes and the way he's being spoken about, is Ben Stratton.

His role would be to shut down the likes of Mayne, Grant, Johnston/Lynch, Johnson, Gunston, Le Cras etc. By doing that he would allow players like Garland and Frawley to be more effective playing other roles.

I think that comparison, from his attributes and the way he's being spoken about, is Ben Stratton.

His role would be to shut down the likes of Mayne, Grant, Johnston/Lynch, Johnson, Gunston, Le Cras etc. By doing that he would allow players like Garland and Frawley to be more effective playing other roles.

sounds about right

Georgiou is likely to stand Johnston when he's forward for North but Bassett has the confidence to send him to anyone.

"He can play third tall all the way down to small and at a pinch could play as a second tall at AFL level, like Tom Jonas did when Trengove went down," Bassett said.

"His positioning and the physical contact he puts on the opposition is first-class and he's got elite fitness and good speed and agility.

"In our preseason testing he's always been in the top third of the group.

"He's also an excellent leader, is in our leadership group and has captained our footy club when McGuinness is injured.

"He's a terrific person and he's only 23."

To me it doesn't sound like he'll be a KPD, but more than likely play the Nick Smith shut down defender role.

We haven't had one of those since Bartram left and before that Whealan.

If anything he could play 3rd tall and release Garland or Dunn into an attacking role.

He is actually a player im intrigued and looking forward to see playing

• 1 month later...

I wish Alexis every success. However, he is (I'm guessing) about pick 120 overall. If he ends up playing more than 10 games for the club he should be adjudged an huge success

Had a few like that of late !

• 1 month later...

"He looks like Mr Bean, he runs like he's running on broken glass and his kick looks awkward," Bassett says.

"But he's such a good defender, he uses the ball well and he makes good decisions.

"The only difference between him and (Power defender) Tom Jonas is Tom is better looking."

"His positioning and the physical contact he puts on the opposition is first-class and he's got elite fitness and good speed and agility.

"In our preseason testing he's always been in the top third of the group.

"He's also an excellent leader, is in our leadership group and has captained our footy club when McGuinness is injured.

"He's a terrific person and he's only 23."

Nathan Basset makes a fair assessment of Georgiou.

Really liked his game last night. A couple of times when the ball stagnated in our back line Alex ran to make position and got the ball moving again. Didn't see any glaring mistakes from him and does seem to make good decisions.

Really good spoiler for his height, good body contact and doesn't seem to mind some argy bargy.

Also like that he doesn't look quite normal

Has a different take on football life as week according to the MFC.......http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-02-13/georgiou-cool-calm-and-collected

Won't be a champion but could well become a MFC crowd favourite

• Like 1

I reckon he will be elevated. I loved his work, looked like a veteran. I think he has the game to transfer to the real stuff. Physical player and he did hit targets, sometimes under real pressure.

Very handy.

• Like 3

I was pleasantly surprised, his bodywork was fantastic and he didn't look out of place at this level.

Still the worst kicking action I've ever seen but he was effective by foot.

He makes smart decisions and is balanced, hence the better results than it looks.

Compare it to Blease who makes dumb decisions and is off balance more than not and even though his ball drop and action is pretty good his results are very ordinary

• Like 1

I will eat humble pie. Never understood the pick at the beginning, (of course I'm no expert) but last night you could really see he knew exactly what he was doing. Unbelievable positional and body use for a first gamer. Regardless of the fact it was a praccie game.

He looked very comfortable out there. Shocking kicking action indeed but it's clear he's aware of that weakness and still made the right decisions.

Good backup to have.

• Like 1

I reckon he will be elevated. I loved his work, looked like a veteran. I think he has the game to transfer to the real stuff. Physical player and he did hit targets, sometimes under real pressure.

Very handy.

i reckon with garland coming in underdone it's almost a certainty
  • Like 1

Haven't yet seen the whole game but what I saw of him I liked.

Probably not the most skilled player, and certainly not the biggest defender, but he puts in his all, seems to read the play very well, and one thing we have sorely lacked, makes options.

A promising start.

Very handy.

It will depend of if he gets a game. If he's in the 22 I'd play upgrade him and play him. If not then may as well wait.

If we avoid injuries (touch wood) then Frawley, McDonald, Dunn and Grimes are pretty locked for the round 1 back line. Terlich is looking a pretty good show as well. Garland I'd say is more chance to miss than be there. That would the last 1 or maybe 2 spots come down to Strauss, Clisby and Georgiou. I'd watch a bit of the saints and see if they are going for a taller forward line in which case I'd go Georgiou or a smaller forward line in which case one of the smalls probably gets picked. He's in the frame that's for sure.