WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DOM TYSON

angrydee

I disagree.

Carlton paid about the same price in the draft for Chris Judd in 2007 who was the best player in the comp. I understand that we get pick 9 as a sweetener but its still a big punt on an unproven kid. I was hoping if we were to trade pick 2 it would be on a proven midfielder at the least. I'm not araldited to my position and will happily eat humble pie if Tyson and pick 9 prove to be amazeballs - however I'm skeptical at this stage.

the fact that pick 2 would be used on an unproven kid is much the same and makes your point a little redundant.

this trade is a big win for the MFC whether or not Tyson comes on to be a superstar at the very least he will be a good midfielder and 10-12 year player much like anyone we would have drafted

I'm certainly all for this trade. Maybe I look at things differently to others, but he was pick 3 two years ago, has some AFL experience under his belt and also fits the mould of our soon to be improved midfield group.

I really don't see the point of activating our 2nd pick on a player to develop. At this stage, we have nothing to develop them for. Build the midfield around one core group. Then use our picks in the next few years to develop them. That way they have a group of elite players to learn from. Not the lost causes we have at the moment (which is not our boys faults, they had no one to learn off).

I think the most important thing to discuss is what is his nickname going to be?

Iron Mike?

Tom Dyson, surely.

I assume Melbourne have been informed by the AFL that our compo for Sylvia will be #21, allowing us to trade it for Vince. Makes sense that the Tyson trade would be completed before 5pm today in that case.

• Like 2

I disagree.

Carlton paid about the same price in the draft for Chris Judd in 2007 who was the best player in the comp. I understand that we get pick 9 as a sweetener but its still a big punt on an unproven kid. I was hoping if we were to trade pick 2 it would be on a proven midfielder at the least. I'm not araldited to my position and will happily eat humble pie if Tyson and pick 9 prove to be amazeballs - however I'm skeptical at this stage.

I don't think there is much difference between pick 2 and pick 9.

We upgrade from pick 20, which was a pick that will probably blow out to 25 after compo.

Pick 9 gets in before any compo picks and apart from Boyd - there is very little splitting the top 10.

We have 2 bites at the cherry to get an elite mid, we have Dom Tyson and whoever is there at 9.

Be happy bud.

• Like 4

Unless you think about it like this:

Pick 2 for Tyson, who was pick 3 just two years ago and he's had 2 years already in the system.

Pick 9 for Pick 20.

Pick 53 for Pick 74.

I really, really like this deal. He will be a 10 year player for us and is just the sort of midfielder we need. Would much rather him than Kelly, Aish or Billings, players so many have said we don't need due to their build.

Good summary.

I really like this trade as well. Obviously a talented inside midfielder but with elite kicking and endurance ability. A great complement to jack Viney I would say. They are also really good mates apparently. All we need is Ollie Wines and we would have the complete set. Jack Viney is not only a terrific footballer, he clearly is a great recruiter as well!!

Let's just put our natural development hats on here for a second and imagine that no stupid expectations are placed but natural development is made.

Our 2015 midfield could well look like: Jones, Tyson, Trengove, Vince and Viney. On the wings Toumpas and Watts.

Swapping on ball we have *Nathan Freeman and short burst Dom Barry.

Jones, Tyson, Trengove, Vince and Viney..

In my opinion there are no excuses for this midfield to be the last midfield in the comp even next year.

That is adequate to at least break even in clearances every single week.

• Like 1

Let's just put our natural development hats on here for a second and imagine that no stupid expectations are placed but natural development is made.

Our 2015 midfield could well look like: Jones, Tyson, Trengove, Vince and Viney. On the wings Toumpas and Watts.

Swapping on ball we have *Nathan Freeman and short burst Dom Barry.

Jones, Tyson, Trengove, Vince and Viney..

In my opinion there are no excuses for this midfield to be the last midfield in the comp even next year.

That is adequate to at least break even in clearances every single week.

Oh forgive me, I forgot our new machine Michie.

Sincere apologies Jaded, but I have an erection.

• Like 10

The way he moves reminds me a lot of Dustin Martin pre draft. Have a look at Martin's highlights for vic country.

Interesting.

Pity he hasn't been able to get on the park much to date but nonetheless this guy can seriously play.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

gets through traffic and can handball and/or kick to advantage

and he's coming to us ????? lol :wacko::)

I'm pretty okay with that deal. Would've preferred to keep 20, but with 9 we are hopefully into a higher echelon of midfielder. Fingers crossed we get 21 for Sylvia, but I think it's unlikely. Tyson's first year was outstanding. He'll help out with sheer workload; he's a no 3 draft pick after all, so he's highly rated. Trust in Roos!

Our midfield is certainly taking shape. A young core of Viney, Toumpas, Tyson, Michie and Pick 9 to go with Jones, Trengove, Grimes and possibly Vince means we are looking much, much better already.

Yes, good point. The Roos game plan is based on having 8-10 strong bodies mids who can play through the middle but also off the half back and half forward flanks. Indeed this has become the norm in the AFL. Roos was impressed by the size of the freo mid field in his commentary and i suspect he will try to build something similar. Looking at that list above they're all pretty solid guys.

Add Watts to the list above (most likely as an outside mid/wing) as Watts has said that Roos has indicated that's where he'll play. Also add Matt Jones who will be much stronger next season and i reckon has all the hallmarks of a player Roos will love. You have to include McKenzie as well as i'm sure he will be our tagger in the middle (and told not to kick!). I think though he'll play Grimes down back.

I forget who suggested on it DL (and was roundly howled down) but i agree that Roos might occasionally run Dunn through the center and crazy as it might seem i agree that if Pedo can get fitter there is a chance he may get some time in the middle coming of the hb.

I can also see occasions where a Gawn or Spencer is rucking but a Fitzpatrick or Clark start in the center as well (in the same way that at several center bounces in the grand final the hawks had Roughhead in the center with Bailey or Hale doing the ruck work).

I harbour dreams of Jetta running through the middle and i think Bail, Kent and Evans can take their turn as perhaps even Howe at times (though i think he will be a high half forward in the main).

Tappscott, with his build should be a mid/half forward but i suspect Roos will trade him. If he doesn't trade him this year he will next year if Tappy doesn't take a step up.

I hope we get Vince and another good mid with the number 9 pick.

Our mid field has been woeful but so has our basic disposal skills. With Tyson, Michie, Toump, Watts and Vince all being good kicks we will be much improved in our ability to maintain possession and to hit targets into what will be a genuinely dangerous forward line.

Some success this year is a absolutely crucial and because of this although i hate the idea of losing a possible champ in Kelly or Aish taking Tyson is the prudent move, particularity if the recruiting guys can earn their money by picking a gem at 9.

With a much better mid field and better skills we will obviously be much more competitive given how crucial these elements are. Roos understands that we simply have to win some games of footy and be competitive in those we don't. If we can achieve that we will be a much more attractive option fro players next season and will not have to trade our top pick.

Oh oh i can feel a bout of Pollyanna syndrome coming on!

Edited by binman

I like Tyson and am impressed that we got pick 9 back but giving up 20 and 74, especially considering Tyson's injury history, seems a bit excessive. I'll be happy with the deal when I see Tyson tearing it up on the park and a good selection at pick 9.

Roosy knows what he is doing though.

Massive fan of this trade. Hopefully we'll add in Vince for our compensation pick, and we suddenly have a midfield! What do you think this (and Michie) means for guys like Matt Jones and Michael Evans?

A more competitive environment due to an injection of quality midfielders.

It's only a positive if players need to be fighting nail and tooth for a spot in our midfield.

Will bring out the best in them.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

I didn't know a lot about this kid, but the highlights reel was a bit of a revelation. His evasive skills are Pendelbury-esque, and his hand skills remind me a bit of Simon Black. I am not suggesting he has the qualities of those two great players but he is the type of player we have not seen for a long time. Since Flower and Farmer, who have been great evasive players for MFC? Nathan Brown was very good but could not kick.

My October just got a very good, very warm feeling about it.

Our starting midfield could look like N Jones, Tyson, Trengove, Vichie and Viney.

Add in Vince (possibly), Watts, Toumpas, McKenzie, Barry, Blease, M Jones and Evans.

I promised myself I would not emotionally invest until after round 11 and I stand by that comment. However, if we also land Bernie Vince I am going to find it very difficult not to have expectations on 2014.

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 2

I like Tyson and am impressed that we got pick 9 back but giving up 20 and 74, especially considering Tyson's injury history, seems a bit excessive. I'll be happy with the deal when I see Tyson tearing it up on the park and a good selection at pick 9.

We wouldn't have used #74 anyway. We essentially gave up 2 & 20.

The only downside I can see to this deal is that it makes it much harder for us to get Z. Jones.

pick 74 is useless.. 53 borders the atmospheric limits of this years draft. In Tyson we KNOW what we're getting....and we also have the bonus of 9.

im pretty happy with this :) Cant see us taking Tyson with an injury cloud.

I disagree.

Simply BS. Judd in effect cost 3 first round picks. Pick 3, Kennedy (pick 4 previous season), and pick 9 I think. No where near the same price.

• Like 3