Jolly shown the door

According to OTC tonight, Shaw, Maxwell, Thomas, Lynch are also on the outer.

The Pies will need another tall to help out Cloke.

Ironic really. I'm happy we landed Dawes.

Hell Ron. The jury is still out on Dawes. We have paid over the odds marquee rates for a player who had lost his mojo at his old club and has shown little to date at his new club.

He needs to provide the returns to MFC next year.

• Like 1

Q and Dawes have both been pretty bloody awful this year.

lynch has been horrible, but im not gonna lie, dawes has been fantastic mate.

his work rate was fantastic, great defensive work ethics playing at chf, he worked harder than most of the melb team, which at times wasn't hard but still far from vein horrible.

Gave me something to enjoyable to watch this season.

With Dawes current preogress at melbourne im willing to say we have done very well in picking him up.

I hope he can be a solid contributor to 2014's fwd line.

• Like 3

White actually runs his business through the Gold Coast, and does some casual coaching at the Suns too.

Thanks for the info HFF, would love some of the players from that era to get involved back at the deez.

Shame many of them never got the proper send off.

Not a huge fan. Comes across as whiney.

whiney? Or honest.

it could be said that shutting up said whining people is why we are where we are.. more Honesty may have short circuited the all the off cultural issues people have shut up about over the last 20 Years.

we would have done a lot better with Jolly years ago than playing one outside ruckman & a host of outside footballers who wouldn't chase or tackle.

honesty, is a good policy.

Q has been an utter failure. Dawes is clearly better.

well to be honest its hard to tell how well anyone is doing there as it seems all the wheels are fallen Off... I think Ed & Bucks have all on the Outer.

so , to say its all Lynch may not be right.. GWalsh has gone, Daisy, Jolly, HShaw? .......................

all is not well @ Pieland.

well to be honest its hard to tell how well anyone is doing there as it seems all the wheels are fallen Off... I think Ed & Bucks have all on the Outer.

so , to say its all Lynch may not be right.. GWalsh has gone, Daisy, Jolly, HShaw? .......................

all is not well @ Pieland.

David Buttifant left today also.

Thanks for the info HFF, would love some of the players from that era to get involved back at the deez.

Shame many of them never got the proper send off.

Why? Please remind me how many premierships they won?

"Not welcome" sounds very sinister. Do they just mean "thanks for your time but your time is over". Or is there something more going on? A lot of people leaving the pies, onfield and off.

Buckley may have been a terrible choice.

Buckley was not a terrible choice, but the combination of Buckley and Eddie is poisonous, even though Eddie was responsible for replacing Malthouse with Buckley in the first place. Maybe he didnt expect him to be such a strong leader.

Eddie is all about short term performance and is very reluctant to move on key players who are disastrous for club culture eg Swan, Thomas, Didak, Krackeou and about four others - the so called Magpie rat pack. All of them keep very dodgy company. Epitome of the "d____k h_____d" culture which Paul Roos so successfully declared war on at the Swans.

Until Eddie looks more at the long term they will be destined to have numerous repeats of Saturday.

By his press conference, you would have to infer that Buckley thinks he now has the power to clean them out. Plenty of clubs will look for opportunities here, fortunately now that we have Roos we won't be one of them. The culture is so important to developing a winning mind set for him. With a reported $4.5m on offer over 4 years from Carlton to an injury plagued Dale Thomas it looks like the Blues will be an early fall guy of it. Bring it on I say, bring it on.

Hell Ron. The jury is still out on Dawes. We have paid over the odds marquee rates for a player who had lost his mojo at his old club and has shown little to date at his new club.

He needs to provide the returns to MFC next year.

I disagree. Dawes has shown more at Melbourne than he showed at Collingwood IMO (aka Mitch Clark), it is just he doesn't seem to be on the park enough. Collingwood would have loved to have had Dawes in their Finals campaign I'm sure. Would have been much better than Lynch.

The other thing that Dawes does is he bring great leadership to the club, and we are very short of mature good leaders, particularly with finals experience.

• Like 9

I disagree. Dawes has shown more at Melbourne than he showed at Collingwood IMO (aka Mitch Clark), it is just he doesn't seem to be on the park enough. Collingwood would have loved to have had Dawes in their Finals campaign I'm sure. Would have been much better than Lynch.

The other thing that Dawes does is he bring great leadership to the club, and we are very short of mature good leaders, particularly with finals experience.

Dawes showed what he is capable of in the hawthorn game this year, I think he took 12 marks and was very effective. When he hasn't got the ball he works hard and provided he can stay fit I think he will do well under Roos.

Yeah, the jury has come down on Dawes: he is a good player.

He had a few niggles, sue him.

He plays with the type of aggression and leadership that is well worth the 5% of the cap he is taking.

He is also a godsend for our most valuable player right now - Hogan. He will do the bullocking work so that Jesse can get used to playin AFL footy.

• Like 8

He's now too old and too slow. The game is beyond him, he is more of a wrestling ruckman, with the recent rule changes (start of 2013 season) its swayed towards the big jumpers like Nic Nat and Goldstein.

Yep. When the new rule came in, Jolly was one of its most vocal opponents. Obviously his body was screwed and he knew that this was the last nail in the coffin.

Darren Jolly's comments on Paul Roos last year.

I owe a lot to Roosy and the Swans. He gave me the confidence to turn into the player I am today. I remember a lot of the conversations I had with Roosy, but one in particular stands out that I had with him in round three of the 2005 season. I was pretty flat, playing ordinary footy and was focused on the mistakes I was making during games. He told me he didn't care if I made mistakes as long as I was having a crack. He spoke about confidence and how he would always give me the confidence to believe in my ability. His door was always open and he wanted me and all his players to come in and have a chat with him about anything.

In the five years I was there, Roosy hardly ever lost his temper during or after games, but would tell you constructively the things you didn't do well and what you needed to work on.

Players can put a lot of pressure on themselves and so it was truly inspiring to have a coach who would ease that pressure, give you the confidence to just play and not think about anything else and be constantly talking with his players and making sure he was up to date on how everyone was feeling.

There's no secret why the Swans were successful in those years. We didn't have a team full of superstars, we just had 22 guys with an extremely strong culture playing their hearts out for each other and a coach motivating them and leading them in the direction he wanted us to go.

• Like 4

Jolly by a long way. Interesting that he's been linked to us a couple of times. Maybe a straight swap, Jolly becomes our number one Ruckman for a year on the proviso that he stays on a as ruck coach in 2015 and beyond, Collingwood get a Ruckman (Jamar) that can mentor Grundy and Witts. Odd, maybe, but could work - assume Roos and Jolly have a good relationship

Not sure about all these ideas about recruiting a good senior player for a year or two and then turning them into a coach. Not all good players make good coaches, very few in fact.

Edited by Django

I owe a lot to Roosy and the Swans. He gave me the confidence to turn into the player I am today. I remember a lot of the conversations I had with Roosy, but one in particular stands out that I had with him in round three of the 2005 season. I was pretty flat, playing ordinary footy and was focused on the mistakes I was making during games. He told me he didn't care if I made mistakes as long as I was having a crack. He spoke about confidence and how he would always give me the confidence to believe in my ability. His door was always open and he wanted me and all his players to come in and have a chat with him about anything.

In the five years I was there, Roosy hardly ever lost his temper during or after games, but would tell you constructively the things you didn't do well and what you needed to work on.

Players can put a lot of pressure on themselves and so it was truly inspiring to have a coach who would ease that pressure, give you the confidence to just play and not think about anything else and be constantly talking with his players and making sure he was up to date on how everyone was feeling.

There's no secret why the Swans were successful in those years. We didn't have a team full of superstars, we just had 22 guys with an extremely strong culture playing their hearts out for each other and a coach motivating them and leading them in the direction he wanted us to go.

Exciting to think that culture, or at least the seed of it, just walked in the door :)

• Like 3

He is also a godsend for our most valuable player right now - Hogan. He will do the bullocking work so that Jesse can get used to playin AFL footy.

That just might turn out be the other way around if Dawes can't get some continuity back next season.

I recall Matty Warnock saying that he was never told why he wasn't getting a game and what he had to do to get one; I posted that at the time and was critical of the coach for not providing that information to one of his players.

I got howled down and those that did the howling said Warnock should have known what he was doing wrong and it was up to him to correct his own problems and mistakes, yes I understand that Matty had a few to correct, but it would have been handy for the coach to help him out.

Well clearly Roos doesn't work that way and perhaps part of the problem we've had over the years has been the lack of communication between players and coach. Surely with only 42 players on the list the coach can spare some of his time to discuss a players problems one on one; it appears that Roos can but Bailey couldn't.

Why does there have to be such a long break between seasons.

• Like 3