Dustin Martin

Moonshadow

Was the driver charged and prosecuted for being "drunk", or is that hearsay ?

To be more clear, I have refreshed my memory to clear up what I have said previously and quote more or less what they told me. This is not a rumour I head at the pub. The mother and sister of the boy told me this story many years after the accident. I have no reason to doubt their honesty. The accident happened in a Collingwood side st running off Smith St outside the boys home. Both gave me similar but conflicting stories to who the player may be. The mother said it was the captain of .......... who was the drunk driver and is one of the biggest legends in the game. He was uninjured but completely legless and could not stand up after the accident according to her. Pieces of the boys brain and skull were stuck to the car headlights. At a later date the sister gave me the name of a star player of the same team who she claimed was captain but fact checking showed that he was not the captain. However the real captain and named player were both B&F winners, team of the century members and high Brownlow voting players during the 60's. The club was also very strong in the early 60's but is not us. Their story was emotional and confused by time and I did not get the full picture whether one or both players were involved in the accident. Both were adamant that the player or players got off and were never charged. There was only a cursory investigation and no mentiion in the media. I get the impression that they may have received some form of unofficial compensation from the club.

Drunk driving was at plague levels then, the road death toll was very high and road injuries were minor statiistics in the big picture no matter how serious. Easy to sweep under the carpet.

we need to capture a player of Dusty's skill for nothing, in order to start making ground on the league leaders.

So a deal with Dusty that sees him come to us via the PSD seems a risk we need to take.

Sick of trying to climb the ladder against so make better positioned (resourced, supported, strategically important) clubs.

We need to break something and take risks to move up.

This is my thinking now- we were shafted with the PP decision, time to get some mongrel and take risks. Dusty is a risk that we have to take now.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see what Richmond now offer him; they were prepared to offer near $500k, according to reports but now it may be closer to $350k to $450k after they have re signed Conca and don't think anyone wants Martin.

Perhaps $600k may have been too much for him, as per Roos comments, but maybe $500k isn't.

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Or neither.

It will be interesting to see what Richmond now offer him; they were prepared to offer near $500k, according to reports but now it may be closer to $350k to $450k after they have re signed Conca and don't think anyone wants Martin.

Perhaps $600k may have been too much for him, as per Roos comments, but maybe $500k isn't.

Lol, maybe the $600k comment by Roos reinforced Martin's belief that he was worth that much so he kept looking?

Now he'll have to settle for less and Roos has caused some drama at another club with one sentence.

Maybe too much of a conspiracy theory, and probably makes Roos out to be a bit of a [censored]. Who cares! He's OUR [censored] now!

Just a thought.

really with us now not getting a priority pick and us needed midfielders why wouldnt we just put a offer on the table to him as long as we get him for free in the pre season draft ?

I am with maarkkc! Get him for free in the pre-season draft with our second pick, sign up Cross, before the trades and main draft and then go for the best midfielders we can get. If we do this will will acheive a massive onfield improvement.

I heard an interesting comment from a keen Richmond friend of mine today on a certain DM.

He said look at the number of games he kills them till half time them drops off dramatically in the second half.

He claims this happens most weeks.

Also claims it is the direct result of his "Life style"

Hmm that seems to fit a lot of the rumors!

• Like 1

I heard an interesting comment from a keen Richmond friend of mine today on a certain DM.

He said look at the number of games he kills them till half time them drops off dramatically in the second half.

He claims this happens most weeks.

Also claims it is the direct result of his "Life style"

Hmm that seems to fit a lot of the rumors!

They were all talking about Martin's "lifestyle" second halves on FC last night. that was exactly the term they used.

maybe a low base with performance benefits?

To be more clear, I have refreshed my memory to clear up what I have said previously and quote more or less what they told me. This is not a rumour I head at the pub. The mother and sister of the boy told me this story many years after the accident. I have no reason to doubt their honesty. The accident happened in a Collingwood side st running off Smith St outside the boys home. Both gave me similar but conflicting stories to who the player may be. The mother said it was the captain of .......... who was the drunk driver and is one of the biggest legends in the game. He was uninjured but completely legless and could not stand up after the accident according to her. Pieces of the boys brain and skull were stuck to the car headlights. At a later date the sister gave me the name of a star player of the same team who she claimed was captain but fact checking showed that he was not the captain. However the real captain and named player were both B&F winners, team of the century members and high Brownlow voting players during the 60's. The club was also very strong in the early 60's but is not us. Their story was emotional and confused by time and I did not get the full picture whether one or both players were involved in the accident. Both were adamant that the player or players got off and were never charged. There was only a cursory investigation and no mentiion in the media. I get the impression that they may have received some form of unofficial compensation from the club.

Drunk driving was at plague levels then, the road death toll was very high and road injuries were minor statiistics in the big picture no matter how serious. Easy to sweep under the carpet.

Thanks.

Hearsay.

Latest - Richmond spinning their wheels - Dusty sticks by manager

Martin and Tigers stuck in standoff

Interesting article on page 3 of today's HUN.

Two charities have asked Mr. Carr to take down comment's that Carr donates to them.

Both say them have not seen a cracker from him or is organization.

Interesting person to have as your Agent!

But we are taking about DM I guess.

• Like 1

I have a Richmond supporting mate with connections at the Tiges.

The other day he told me the word at the club from Carr is that Dusty's dad got him alone in his office and said "YOU. GET. MY. SON. $600K+"

There was no "or else..." but it was implied.

Carr is having a mare trying to meet Dusty's father's demands and expectations.

But as out of his depth he seems, the interference from Shane Martin is exacerbating the situation.

I have a Richmond supporting mate with connections at the Tiges.

The other day he told me the word at the club from Carr is that Dusty's dad got him alone in his office and said "YOU. GET. MY. SON. $600K+"

There was no "or else..." but it was implied.

Carr is having a mare trying to meet Dusty's father's demands and expectations.

But as out of his depth he seems, the interference from Shane Martin is exacerbating the situation.

Seems like you would struggle to find a rocket scientist amongst that trio Machiavelli!

If that is tru about his Dad then 100% we do not want this guy at our club. They are basically holding Richmond ransom. Should've taken the deal Tigers offered up earlier but didn't. Hope he goes into the draft and then someone offers him a lower than average wage.

If he goes into the PSD with an identified minimum figure on his head, doesn't that mean that anybody drafting him has no option but to draft him on his terms rather than the Club's? Wasn't that similar to the Tippett saga?

If that is tru about his Dad then 100% we do not want this guy at our club. They are basically holding Richmond ransom. Should've taken the deal Tigers offered up earlier but didn't. Hope he goes into the draft and then someone offers him a lower than average wage.

I heard that Carr had promised Martin he would get him on $600k and that's why contract talks have taken so long... don't make promises you can't keep!

You're right about his dad though. Last night on the Footy Show Riewoldt said something along the lines that Martin has to talk about the offer with his manager and dad. You don't hear publicly about Watts needing to talk about his contract with his dad, or Silvia, or Thomas, or Shaw, or anyone...

If he goes into the PSD with an identified minimum figure on his head, doesn't that mean that anybody drafting him has no option but to draft him on his terms rather than the Club's? Wasn't that similar to the Tippett saga?

Yes

But what if no one takes the bait?

I think he will be at Richmond under their conditions.

I think RC has tested the market and guess what

It seems there are no takers at the required price or close IMO

Holding Rich to ransom? It is a two way street. Dusty thinks he is worth X, club think no he is worth Y, neither are budging.