Casey Scorpions v Bendigo Gold (Jesse Hogan hurt)

KC from Casey

Best in the best! I like it.

He actually has a lot of upside. Good speed and a good reader of the play.

Hogan hurt. Bad! :( The Norm Smith curse lingers. When will the MFC apologise and rid us of this curse.

Never mind, Liverpool kicking off tonight against Stoke. C'mon you reds! Give us something to cheer about!

Edited by FairBump PlayOn

Pulled a hamspring, apparently

So did he pull a hamstring? Because the AFL websit said:

"Late on Saturday, a club spokesman added the Demons were optimistic Hogan had avoided major injury."

Even if he does have an injury it's the best time to have one and its part of football. Everybody just needs to take a deep breath and relax.

Edited by Young Dee

So did he pull a hamstring? Because the AFL websit said:

"Late on Saturday, a club spokesman added the Demons were optimistic Hogan had avoided major injury."

Even if he does have an injury it's the best time to have one and its part of football.

Wot? Read it again.

This thread's up there with the best of them:

- someone says ACL / PCL whatever..... yep that's it, they're practically the same thing... give or take 10 months or a season

- there's the argument for Hogan to not play when fit

- there's a fan wanting Couch to be automatically upgraded

- and, I'd like to lend weight to the argument that AFL footballers can actually hurt themselves off the field (Wellingham on the trampoline) with Daniel Wells in the shower - 8 to 12 weeks!

Go Scorps/Dees

• Like 2

I'm questioning why the club has yet to make an announcement. He has had scans, the results should be up on the web site!!!

Forget the results. I want the scans up there so we can make our own diagnoses and debate who has the better credentials to assess the damage and come up with an entirely unrealistic timeframe for his rehabilitation.

• Like 16

Forget the results. I want the scans up there so we can make our own diagnoses and debate who has the better credentials to assess the damage and come up with an entirely unrealistic timeframe for his rehabilitation.

Time to log off RM,
  • Like 1

How does a guy like Magner who gets ball poisoning every week, but cant get a senior game.

I don't rate Magner as an AFL player and haven't been bothered by his non-selection to date, but you'd have to pick him next week on principle. 51 touches is a stunning effort, poor opposition notwithstanding.

• Like 3

He is a Rookie and was only on the senior list for a short spell early in the season and now again from last week after Mitch Clarke was put on the long term injury list.

He Couch and Clisby are a lock for upgrades to the senior list at the end of this season IMO.

Doubt Couch will be with us next year.

Somebody tell me Hogan hasn't done a serious injury. FFS why does the world hate us??

It is those recruiting guys.

They just can't pick the right players - you know, ones unlike TheOx and Clark who are stupid enough to get injured.

Probably Neeld's and Schwab's fault really.

This thread's up there with the best of them:

- someone says ACL / PCL whatever..... yep that's it, they're practically the same thing... give or take 10 months or a season

- there's the argument for Hogan to not play when fit

- there's a fan wanting Couch to be automatically upgraded

- and, I'd like to lend weight to the argument that AFL footballers can actually hurt themselves off the field (Wellingham on the trampoline) with Daniel Wells in the shower - 8 to 12 weeks!

Go Scorps/Dees

Didn't Chri$ Judd miss 4 weeks from an injury sustained in bed???

The Age reported only a hyperextension and should still play finals, would have thought the club would let us know though.

Hogan instgrammed a photo of his phone showing alarms set for icing at 1.30am, 3am, 4.30am etc. He's spitting chips about missing out on Saturday night activities haha

He also says in the comments it's not worst case, landed on his knee badly and scans suggest bruised bone and lightly scarred/stretched ligament. Might be able to make finals in 2 weeks.

• Like 8

Hogan instgrammed a photo of his phone showing alarms set for icing at 1.30am, 3am, 4.30am etc. He's spitting chips about missing out on Saturday night activities haha

He also says in the comments it's not worst case, landed on his knee badly and scans suggest bruised bone and lightly scarred/stretched ligament. Might be able to make finals in 2 weeks.

Thanks mate, that's good news.

thank christ

ALL THAT GLITTERS ... by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions had no trouble in disposing of the winless Bendigo Gold by a massive 129 points at Casey Fields on Saturday but the glitter of the victory was somewhat overshadowed by a shock injury to Demon youngster Jesse Hogan who suffered a hyperextension to his knee early in the game.

Hogan left the ground for scans with Casey general manager Matthew Young saying that "it's pretty disappointing but we're hoping that it's only a minor injury," and a Melbourne spokesman later expressing optimism that the young forward who has kicked 39 goals for the season to date, had managed to avoid major damage.

The Scorpions opened brightly kicking against a strong northerly breeze and the seeds of their domination over the Gold were set early. Beanpole ruckman Max Gawn dominated the hit outs, James Magner and Jimmy Toumpas were in control in the middle, David Rodan was leading Bendigo a merry dance and Jake Best and Rory Taggert were finishing things off with goals. The latter duo each had two goals by the time the opening stanza was barely halfway through (Rodan had the other after running from a wing and bouncing four times, a feat he later produced with one more bounce).

The five goal blitz against the wind would prove enough to win the game but there was to be a lot more to come although the second quarter was disappointing.

Bendigo had almost the entire team behind the ball and for large patches of the quarter, all 36 players on the ground were in Casey's half making it a poor spectacle for the small crowd on hand to witness the game. This made little difference to Magner who amassed an amazing 29 touches to half time as the team waltzed to a 35 point half time lead.

The second half was a complete whitewash with Bendigo failing to score a goal and Casey adding five against the wind and ten with it to finish off the game (making it 19 final quarter goals in its last two matches) with a massive percentage booster.

Gawn, who was already playing well, took control of the game with a sensational purple patch in the third quarter kicking two goals and having a hand in a couple of others as he dominated proceedings against shorter opponents. He finished the game off with a massive 59 hitouts, 27 disposals, 14 marks and three goals.

Despite suffering a knock in the third term, Magner also provided a statistical highlight with an outstanding 51 touches. He was ably assisted by Toumpas who underlined his enormous potential with 32 classy disposals while Mitch Gent and Dan Nicholson finished with 30 each.

Taggert and Best both kicked five apiece and Joel Macdonald, who announced his retirement last week, capped off his career with a fine display in defence and a couple of nice goals when he went forward at the end. He left the ground chaired off by his teammates and to the well deserved rousing applause of the crowd.

It was Casey's last home and away game for the year at Casey Fields but a win against the Box Hill Hawks next Sunday should guarantee at least a home final in the qualifying final round in a fortnight's time.

Casey Scorpions 5.0.30 8.3.51 13.6.84 23.11.149

Bendigo Gold 1.4.10 2.4.16 2.7.19 2.8.20

Goals

Casey Scorpions Best Taggert 5 Gawn Rodan 3 Gent Macdonald 2 Bail Page Smith

Bendigo Gold McInnes Toman

Best

Casey Scorpions Magner Gawn Rodan Toumpas Macdonald Best

Bendigo Gold Magin Aarts Heavyside Stroobants Kelm Beck

Stats: Magner 51 Toumpas 32 Gent Nicholson 30

VFL Player Review - Round 18.

Probably Neeld's and Schwab's fault really.

No, they had different faults.

Neeld's fault was that the players hated his guts. Not conducive to reaping great results.

Schwab's fault was that he gorged himself on his own bathwater. And when he wasn't drinking his own bathwater he was watching training. Whenever I dropped in he was there. I used to think "don't you have anything better to do ? Like running the club ?". No, he was so full of himself he had to have a tribe of people reporting to him.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Know, they had different faults.

Neeld's fault was that the players hated his guts. Not conducive to reaping great results.

Schwab's fault was that he gorged himself on his own bathwater. And when he wasn't drinking his own bathwater he was watching training. Whenever I dropped in he was there. I used to think "don't you have anything better to do ? Like running the club ?". No, he was so full of himself he had to have a tribe of people reporting to him.

Ben, I beg to differ on both counts.

On Mark Neeld I've spoken with a sample of the players about him and I would suggest that it wasn't so much hatred which is far too strong a word but rather, that in the end, it was Neeld's failure to garner respect from the playing group. They found him too inflexible and unable to convince them of his methods and the style of play he wanted from them. From my perspective, he never really demonstrated an ability to change a game or turn it around to avoid the massive confidence sapping losses that were a feature of his 33 game coaching tenure. We are now left with a shell-shocked group that's struggling and desperately in need of an end to the season and a new start under a new coach. The changes under Neil Craig have helped a little but these were offset by injuries to so many key on field personnel. In short, we need a new start with fresh faces at the helm. But my view is that the players didn't hate Neeld - he simply wasn't up to it as an AFL coach.

On Schwab, I don't think his attendance or otherwise at training sessions or his style would define his role as CEO. He did a lot of good things in his role but in the end, it was the failure of the team to improve that brought him and others undone and for which he rightly took ultimate responsibility. The reality is that it took more than Schwab and Neeld to produce the train wreck which was the result of a several year build up of poor coaching, recruiting, list management and player development. This is the culmination of a decade or more of poor leadership at the club and can't be sheeted home against one person or one board. I just hope it's behind us now and wish those who are picking up the pieces good luck.

I don't know enough about Glen Bartlett and some of the other new faces (or PJ for that matter) to say I have full confidence in them yet but, like most of us, I'm hoping.

PS How did we get into this discussion on the Casey thread?

• Like 2

On Mark Neeld I've spoken with a sample of the players about him and I would suggest that it wasn't so much hatred which is far too strong a word but rather, that in the end, it was Neeld's failure to garner respect from the playing group. They found him too inflexible and unable to convince them of his methods and the style of play he wanted from them. From my perspective, he never really demonstrated an ability to change a game or turn it around to avoid the massive confidence sapping losses that were a feature of his 33 game coaching tenure. We are now left with a shell-shocked group that's struggling and desperately in need of an end to the season and a new start under a new coach. The changes under Neil Craig have helped a little but these were offset by injuries to so many key on field personnel. In short, we need a new start with fresh faces at the helm. But my view is that the players didn't hate Neeld - he simply wasn't up to it as an AFL coach.

WJ, eloquence of the written word aside, I'm not sure that's all that different to what BH is suggesting (no doubt he will correct me if I'm wrong here). I certainly interpreted "hate" to mean "found him very difficult to work with" even if that's not what the dictionary says it means.

• Like 3

No, they had different faults.

I guess you failed to pick up on my irony!

Maybe I should have included a "selfie" of my tongue in my cheek, but frankly only insecure narcissists do that sort of thing.

• Like 1