Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Hey. Got to pick you up on this comment: "...a whole bunch of other reporters have won prestigious prizes for their coverage of the supplements saga and he has won zilch."

What about when he received sports journalist of the year in 2013? OK, so he had to share it with Mick Warner...and three journos from the Daily telegraph. And, I know, it was an internal News Corp award...but still, he won something!

did he get to vote on the award?

I understand this.

Middleton has an obligation to look towards what is in the greater good. He has discretion

I hope you are right - I was never in doubt that Essendon done bad. My only concern was the solidity of the process in getting all the parties involved punished for doing bad.

In a judgement he made against Centro he took the view

"Middleton has concluded that being honest in error is no protection against failure in diligence. In the end, Centro's directors are to be held accountable for what they did not know but should have."

Having been with Sir Ninian Stephen I would think that Middleton would be familiar with the bigger picture side of things.

I may of course be totally wrong

If he is consistent in his judgements, and being a judge and not a member of the tribunal or the MRP he may well be so, that should be pretty worrying for EFC and Jacques.

If he is consistent in his judgements, and being a judge and not a member of the tribunal or the MRP he may well be so, that should be pretty worrying for EFC and Jacques.

Surely that could mean anything. It could be interpreted by either side as being in their favour.

I see that Little wants to make it all go away with the help of the Sports Minister and that the govt is thinking of an enquiry into ASADA and the previous govts's involvement with it. Typical of Abbott and co to launch enquiries to blacken the previous govt as if they were still fighting the election. But that may well be Essendung's best hope of getting off.

I see that Little wants to make it all go away with the help of the Sports Minister and that the govt is thinking of an enquiry into ASADA and the previous govts's involvement with it. Typical of Abbott and co to launch enquiries to blacken the previous govt as if they were still fighting the election. But that may well be Essendung's best hope of getting off.

I don't think WADA would be happy with that!

I think words might be whispered in ears as to the folly of listening to Little

They probably have Peter Costello, the recent EFC # 1 ticket holder and Treasuer in the last Lib gov't, lobying Tony and his mates as we speak.

Interestingly, the new CEO of ASADA (forgotten his name) has been very very quiet, keeping his powder dry. Bet he will fight Abbott and Co tooth and nail to ensure it doesn't just 'go away'. EFC and AFL shouldn't underestimate him.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Should have thought of that before launching ridiculous legal action.

Something along the lines of: We are sorry, we pay our fine, we apologise to the players,other clubs etc etc and we would like to move on.

But no. They have gone the whole enchilada and must now reap what they have sown. you simply can't go down this path and find you don't like the outcome and then try to wiriggle your way out of it.

They are about to smashed to kingdom come.

• Like 1

Surely that could mean anything. It could be interpreted by either side as being in their favour.

The quote that interested me was "Middleton has concluded that being honest in error is no protection against failure in diligence. In the end, Centro's directors are to be held accountable for what they did not know but should have."

So could the one difference be related to honest error :-)

IMO, and it was drummed into me when I was a Director of a medium sized company, the last highlighted part - directors are to be held accountable for what they did not know but should have. I looked at that as reading EFC directors failed in their duty of care.

Surely somebody here is, or knows, someone in WorkCare (or whatever it is called this week) - are they looking at this, and if not, why not? (Maybe they are being far more watertight than the other agencies involved, AFL included, and will reveal all without forewarning? The Beatles song - Bang bang Maxwell silver hammer springs to mind.)

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2

Should have thought of that before launching ridiculous legal action.

Something along the lines of: We are sorry, we pay our fine, we apologise to the players,other clubs etc etc and we would like to move on.

But no. They have gone the whole enchilada and must now reap what they have sown. you simply can't go down this path and find you don't like the outcome and then try to wiriggle your way out of it.

They are about to smashed to kingdom come.

You'd think so wouldn't you. But the chutzpah of little is staggering. He was quoted as saying the following:

‘‘We believe if the process was unlawful, the information can’t be used. It can be recollected so to speak, but I think the government would need to take a view now if this is in the best interest of the community generally and sport generally and at this point in time, that’s not clear.
‘I would love to be able to engage with the sports minister – I haven’t been able to do that at this stage – simply to understand the priorities from the government’s point of view. I think given that the court case is now finished, I’m hopeful that I can perhaps do that.
‘‘... We’re looking for a circuit-breaker. It is possible that this Federal Court case now will determine that the process is unlawful and in that situation we could find that the show-cause notices go as a result of that. But it’s too early to tell.’’
‘‘The whole community has got fatigue with this investigation and if the sports minister is able to help us find a way through it, then I think that’s in everyone’s best interest.
‘‘... This whole investigation now has been aired in every newspaper, on every radio station, on every TV channel, I think it’s had an airing that’s been fair and reasonable, but we now need to, for the sake of the game and certainly I’ve taken this up with the AFL, we now need to find a way of making it go away."
Amazing. The strategy laid bare. Exhaust everyone. Make it politically and practically very difficult to proceed with show cause notices. And he goes on to maintain that that the supplements program had not involved performance-enhancing drugs.
If that is the case what is this sham all about. Accept the show cause notices and show bloody cause why you shouldn't be placed on the Register of Findings. Story over.
  • Like 2

If nothing else to do ...here have fun reading some of this lot !! Quite illuminating reading

Online File : Essendon v ASADA

‘‘We believe if the process was unlawful, the information can’t be used. It can be recollected so to speak, but I think the government would need to take a view now if this is in the best interest of the community generally and sport generally and at this point in time, that’s not clear.

I presume that the best interests of the community and sport generally in this country are served by being signed up to (and pursuing) the most rigorous anti-doping regime possible. Even Abbott (with his Oxford Blue) will probably be able to grasp this eventually if Little is able to apply some pressure to a sports minister who can't.

Reading between the lines I'd think that the penny has finally dropped with someone in the Essendon legal team (don't think Little would have worked it out himself) that Reg 4.21, which they wanted to rely on, is a regulation, something issued by a minister of the crown to guide interpretation of legislation and something that can therefore be changed by a minister of the crown (aka a political mate). Is this an announcement that Essendon won't stop until they've corrupted Australian sport in its entirety?

• Like 2

I love these threads. It's like reading a Perry Mason novel.

It has a lot of twist and turns, but in the end Perry wins.

In this case Essendon lose, no matter which way you look at it.

Arse protecting does not look good in any business.

• Like 1

Little has it almost right, something needs to go away

something beginning with E.....

• Like 1

I dont agree rjay all the way through this sorry saga the Hird / Little camp have taken the attitude we did no wrong.

Why would they now change tack?

Not sure what you don't agree with 'old dee', but I sure hope it goes all the way to court. Then things would get very interesting.

Not sure what you don't agree with 'old dee', but I sure hope it goes all the way to court. Then things would get very interesting.

Sorry rjay I thought you were saying it would get settled out of court.

My mistake, pays to engage brain before moving hands.

Sorry rjay I thought you were saying it would get settled out of court.

My mistake, pays to engage brain before moving hands.

Just heard on the news they are going to mediation. I don't think they want it to go to court though 'old dee', they will settle. I hope they don't but with all their posturing Hird and Little don't want the truth to come out.

Just heard on the news they are going to mediation. I don't think they want it to go to court though 'old dee', they will settle. I hope they don't but with all their posturing Hird and Little don't want the truth to come out.

you are referring tro Dean Robinson aka The Weapon?? He would have some juicy knowledge

you are referring tro Dean Robinson aka The Weapon?? He would have some juicy knowledge

Yep...be interesting to know how much they will offer him. I reckon it would have to be in the $1m plus mark for him to walk away. There has been a lot of damage done to his name.

Would love him to take his day in court but he still has a family to feed.