Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Caroline Wilson's mail is that the 34 players served in June with show cause notices are now ready to entertain plea bargains with ASADA ~Essendon players ready to listen to ASADA deal offers

The suggestion that an ASADA deal to the 34 players would entail an off season suspension or the loss of at most only four home-and-away games is either wishful thinking or the result of enormous political pressure on McDevitt from high above. Such an outcome would constitute a rewriting of the definitions of "no fault" and"significant assistance" and a massive reward for the Bombers' (admittedly expensive) strategy of delaying the ASADA investigation for the second half of the AFL season to buy a brilliant result for their players. The example set would come back to haunt ASADA and anti doping agencies the world over for many years to come.

Not much changes. They may have to miss games next season and the new deal may not be so generous as now Essendon's empty threats ring hollow and the legal challenge has fizzled. They may have to put up with another wasted season before it is all over.

• Like 1

One of the things I have enjoyed most about this saga is that finally for once it doesn't involve MFC. But this part of the article could yet come back to bite us on our backsides.

"The revelations come as the club prepares for the possibility of show cause notices being issued to several support staff. Insiders at ASADA have hinted that there are more show cause notices to be issued stemming from the Essendon investigation."

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Club just appoint one of the support staff who was sending emails around about being sent the good gear. Or something to that effect. Lets hope and prey our new appointee isn't about to be issued one of those notices. I never saw the references to him until he was appointed but it has to be a worry. Wouldn't that just be typical if he ends up being banned after just being appointed to us.

I'm sure the club has thought of this. They would either:

- say ok, sit out the time of the ban and then start up again (like clubs will do with Ess players they take)

- have clause in contract that says if banned for greater than x years, all bets are off with no compensation

Or else, based on what the club has said about his very honest answers the grilling he got from MFC management and board they are comfortable that he won't be banned. (If he has lied to them, which I can't possibly imagine, I'm sure there would be an out clause for MFC as well.)

I'm ok with any of the above - they are all relatively low risk situations for the MFC. Am sure PJ has done very thorough due diligence and put triggers in place to cover every eventuality.

• Like 1

I hope Essendon show some decency when dealing with Ryder. This poor bloke and his family have suffered from this affair and that has been exacerbated by Essendons letigious and combative strategy since Evans was dumped. Wilson was correct a few weeks ago (nearly choked writing that) in that the club has an opportunity now to regain some lost ground and make the moral and decent decision to work with Paddy. Dragging him through the courts does nothing except underline what we all knew from the start, this was never about the players and hopefully these young men and there families will wake from the spell and begin to look after themselves.

• Like 3

I hope Essendon show some decency when dealing with Ryder. This poor bloke and his family have suffered from this affair and that has been exacerbated by Essendons letigious and combative strategy since Evans was dumped. Wilson was correct a few weeks ago (nearly choked writing that) in that the club has an opportunity now to regain some lost ground and make the moral and decent decision to work with Paddy. Dragging him through the courts does nothing except underline what we all knew from the start, this was never about the players and hopefully these young men and there families will wake from the spell and begin to look after themselves.

Surely you jest BD

The EFC fall into a group best described by " it is hard to appeal to the better side of someone who does not have one"

If they give in to Ryder the landslide will begin.

• Like 4

Little is understood to have spoken directly to Dank in a bid to unravel what drugs were administered during the experimental program of late 2011 and 2012. Although Dank has previously stated he gave players the banned form of thymosin, he later changed his story.

The 34 players are now awaiting further evidence from ASADA before contemplating whether to fight the show-cause letters or negotiate the details around a potential six-month ban, with only a handful of missed games.

bit late for little to try and find out now id have thought...

As for asking Dank anything, reminds me of the Cretan Liar Paradox: "I'm a Cretan and I tell you all Cretans are liars." If it's a true statement it's false. If it's a false statement it's true.

Of course, by referring to Dank as "the discredited sports scientist," (a description that should be permanently attached to him) the article pretty well gives him a Cretan passport anyway.

• Like 1

Surely the Ess players are now getting independent legal advice. Surely they are not still listening to the EFC legal team? If the AFLPA aren't directing them away from the club's advisors they are not doing their job properly. The players have been hung out to dry by the club, as stupid as they are for signing waivers. Get thee to a nunnery!

• Like 1

As for asking Dank anything, reminds me of the Cretan Liar Paradox: "I'm a Cretan and I tell you all Cretans are liars." If it's a true statement it's false. If it's a false statement it's true.

Of course, by referring to Dank as "the discredited sports scientist," (a description that should be permanently attached to him) the article pretty well gives him a Cretan passport anyway.

i now await the outrage from all the cretans on this site :)

Reading Caro's article:

Little is understood to have spoken directly to Dank in a bid to unravel what drugs were administered during the experimental program of late 2011 and 2012.

Why in blazes didn't he unravel with Dank before now!

• Like 1

I prefer the Life of Brian Paradox

• Like 1

"I can't think of anyone at the AFL that has ever injected any players. This is not about the AFL or about ASADA, it's about what took place at the Essendon Football Club.

"It was absolutely appropriate that it was investigated if you believe that young men shouldn't be subjected to a regime that involved thousands of injections."

andy D goes Whack!

• Like 1

Speaking at the same event, Murray Browne, father of Essendon player Alex Browne and AFL Players Association Alumni Advisory Board chairman, said he was disappointed with the way the club had cared for his son.

"It's been just an ongoing saga for us. As a family our main issue has been to support Alex through it. He's okay, and unfortunately we're just waiting for the end to happen.

"We feel a bit let down by the whole governance factor of the club. He's okay but there's a slight uncertainty about the future with him and his health, and there shouldn't be any uncertainty really.

interesting

Well the fan boi's at the HSun aren't hogging the headlines now. They should resign en masse from their partisan crud they have been peddling.

Time to put a stop to this and smash them with a sledgehammer.

Well the fan boi's at the HSun aren't hogging the headlines now. They should resign en masse from their partisan crud they have been peddling.

Time to put a stop to this and smash them with a sledgehammer.

Yes, their silence speaks volume. Perhaps waiting for the egg-on-face to drip off before surfacing!

I fail to see why these players should be treated at all favourably.

There is no excuse for not knowing. There are no excuses for not questioning.

They chose the path they took well they can take the whack too.

This is all just a fabricated get out of jail excuse they're now running with.

Its actually irrelevant what they thought...its what they did.

They haven't heloed ASADA they tried to hinder them.

The board should be dismissed and surely prosecution awaits. So should Golden Boy be slapped with charges ..conduct endandering or similar.

No way should anything be watered down.

Essendon as a club should be suspended foe at last 12 months.

Crimes and Times...do one....do the other. Reestablish decency and good government in the code....by example

• Like 1

I fail to see why these players should be treated at all favourably.

There is no excuse for not knowing. There are no excuses for not questioning.

They chose the path they took well they can take the whack too.

This is all just a fabricated get out of jail excuse they're now running with.

Its actually irrelevant what they thought...its what they did.

They haven't heloed ASADA they tried to hinder them.

The board should be dismissed and surely prosecution awaits. So should Golden Boy be slapped with charges ..conduct endandering or similar.

No way should anything be watered down.

Essendon as a club should be suspended foe at last 12 months.

Crimes and Times...do one....do the other. Reestablish decency and good government in the code....by example

Caro reckons the players were offered 4 weeks plus finals this year as a penalty but turned it down, WJ quoted her before.

That's as watered down as it's going to get. I couldn't believe that was offered, let alone that it was turned down. If I were a player I would have jumped at it.

Hopefully they'll end up with proper sanctions that don't embarrass our entire country in front of the world-wide sporting community.

Caro reckons the players were offered 4 weeks plus finals this year as a penalty but turned it down, WJ quoted her before.

That's as watered down as it's going to get. I couldn't believe that was offered, let alone that it was turned down. If I were a player I would have jumped at it.

Hopefully they'll end up with proper sanctions that don't embarrass our entire country in front of the world-wide sporting community.

I think my stance re the Essendon players is softening. I think a 6 month ban in season is OK. However the EFC should cop the full whack. Two years ban from fielding a side in any competition. The coach a lifetime ban.

The directors should get a workcover whack. The Doctor, de-registered.

There, my softened view for what it is worth.

Maybe they were expecting Essendon to win the court case on Friday?

I guess if they were sufficiently insulated from unbiased commentary and advice then that might be the case.

Hard to believe that though. How could any reasonable person trust being insulated from the outside by the very organisation that betrayed them in the first place?

I guess if they were sufficiently insulated from unbiased commentary and advice then that might be the case.

Hard to believe that though. How could any reasonable person trust being insulated from the outside by the very organisation that betrayed them in the first place?

A very good question Choke but they have.

Interesting tidbit in the press.

Gill suggested to Little that it would help players if they voluntarily stepped down from playing for a few weeks.

Little apparently didn't even pass on the suggestion to the player's reps.

Interesting tidbit in the press.

Gill suggested to Little that it would help players if they voluntarily stepped down from playing for a few weeks.

Little apparently didn't even pass on the suggestion to the player's reps.

Why does this not surprise.

Little & Hird could not care less about the players. If they cared at all that offer would have been passed on.

They are narcissistic hedonists.

Caro is supposed to be the font of all knowledge on everything but, as I said above, that suggestion simply beggars belief. I wonder where she got the information?

There are thousands and thousands of Athletes . officials, and support in this country that ABIDE the rules. They get , they do the right thing.

If I were any of them Id be asking why the f should these idiots from footy get any special treatment, why are they different ?? They are told time and time again about all this and if they should somehow think its all beneath them , not worthy of paying attention for 5 mins , not being rigorous in what happens to them then well more fool them..

AFL footballers are NO different and they can bloody well swing for their foolishness and stupidity.

It would be grossly unfair to the law abiding sportsperson to allow these players anythin gother than what they are due....and thats not a wet lettuce smack !!

• Like 2