Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Essendon players determined not to accept guilty verdict - The Australian

Summary:

• Hird wants to appeal
  • Players don't want an appeal if it delays resolution
  • EFC Board will only appeal if the case is 'water tight'!

In a way I would like to see them appeal just to enjoy watching them being thrown out of court again!!

As an aside, Justice Middleton appeared to hardly be able to conceal his contempt. Could it be because he didn't appreciate Hird using his courtroom as the forum to attack AD/AFL and to absolve himself of responsibility, stuff not particularly relevant to the case.

Maybe Hird has lived in his cocoon for so long that he has lost the ability to be 'streetwise'!!

Hird is clearly delusional...He's ill.....and soon to be broke. Poor poor Yellow Boy

Not wishing to quote myself. Just want to thank the DL mods who convert an unintelligible URL to a meaningful newspaper title!

Summary:

• Hird wants to appeal

In a way I would like to see them appeal just to enjoy watching them being thrown out of court again!!

As an aside, Justice Middleton appeared to hardly be able to conceal his contempt. Could it be because he didn't appreciate Hird using his courtroom as the forum to attack AD/AFL and to absolve himself of responsibility, stuff not particularly relevant to the case.

Maybe Hird has lived in his cocoon for so long that he has lost the ability to be 'streetwise'!!

The usual warning should be applied to this article. It was written by Essendon acolyte Chip Le Grand who predicted a little while ago that ASADA's case was falling apart because the Federal Court was about to prevent it from using player testimonies.

• Like 3

Lots of perspective, life experience and common sense there BB, which makes it very different from an AFL player, especially those fed #% by Hird, Little, Dank et al. The players are way out of their depth, but seem too used to being the biggest fish to understand how the world works.

IMHO they know exactly what they were given, but are keeping silent about it.

Edited by Red and Bluebeard
  • Like 1

I know i'm preaching to the converted but honestly it staggers me that some still don't get it. Tim Watson has been saying how all the other clubs are just pushing EFC and the players to resolve this but says 'what would you do, take a deal even if you know you are not guilty'? (or words to that effect).

Who's saying they have to take a deal to resolve it? As someone noted they also have the option of showing cause why they shouldn't be placed on the register of findings and if that fails challenge the infraction notices and charges at the AFL drug tribunal. Simple. Issue resolved either way (ie guilty or not guilty)

The implication from the EFC camp is that it is a fait acompli they will be found guilty in an objective (presumably somewhat sympathetic) forum. Now why is that?

There is is another thing that really frustrates me. You watch the (dwindling) Hird media lackeys running the line about how unfair it is the players have to prove their innocence. I actually have some sympathy with that view however that is how the game is played, they are the rules. EFC should have been 100% aware of this and factored this fact into their decision making process when designing their supplement program.

The question to Hird and Dank from the board should not have simply been 'are any banned drugs being used' it should have been 'are any banned drugs being used or is there any risk that even if the answer is no that ASADA may be able to make a circumstantial case we have which we can't disprove (eg by meticulous record taking and total control of supply chains and administration of the drugs)'.

Basic risk management. If they didn't ask this question then more fool them and whilst the players have a right to be disgruntled it should be focused on the club not ASADA or external bogeymen (or should that be bogeypersons - Caro says hi) with vendettas against Hird. What did EFC actually think they were signing up to when they agreed to abide by the WADA code?

• Like 4

Lots of perspective, life experience and common sense there BB, which makes it very different from an AFL player, especially those fed #% by Hird, Little, Dank et al. The players are way out of their depth, but seem too used to being the biggest fish to understand how the world works.

IMHO they know exactly what they were given, but are keeping silent about it.

Im not sure they know exactly, well not convinced actually that ALL know exactly. I suspect many do or indeed have reasonably worked out what it was ( and shouldnt have been )

Theyre playing a game of bluff with 7-2 off suited !!

You surely have to think even as a half witted neanderthal that the game has changed again since Middleton's ruling. Anything and Everything told ( sold ) to them must be bunkum as it just got shot to hell and cast to the winds ( kinda poetic that bit...lol ) from high on hill :rolleyes:

These guys are cannon fodder to the nth. Still gets me why they would take this stance as now theyre on a hiding to nothing. ASADA dont even need a strong hand to win here, just a hand that says. You , you and you took this and that. You can t prove you didnt so that alone is smacky smacky time but just to lay all doubts to rest read this. Youve been worse than just a naughty boy youve been stubbornly stupid.

All thats left really is .......is it the Lions or Crucifixion for them ??

• Like 1

Speaking of Monty Python and the 'I am not the messiah routine' i linked on previous page, perhaps it should go like this:

Player: I am not a drug cheat

ASADA crowd: Only a true drug cheat would deny their drug use

Player: What? Alright i am a drug cheat!

ASDA crowd: He is a drug cheat, he is a drug cheat!!

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Im not sure they know exactly, well not convinced actually that ALL know exactly. I suspect many do or indeed have reasonably worked out what it was ( and shouldnt have been )

Theyre playing a game of bluff with 7-2 off suited !!

You surely have to think even as a half witted neanderthal that the game has changed again since Middleton's ruling. Anything and Everything told ( sold ) to them must be bunkum as it just got shot to hell and cast to the winds ( kinda poetic that bit...lol ) from high on hill :rolleyes:

These guys are cannon fodder to the nth. Still gets me why they would take this stance as now theyre on a hiding to nothing. ASADA dont even need a strong hand to win here, just a hand that says. You , you and you took this and that. You can t prove you didnt so that alone is smacky smacky time but just to lay all doubts to rest read this. Youve been worse than just a naughty boy youve been stubbornly stupid.

All thats left really is .......is it the Lions or Crucifixion for them ??

Beeb as you so rightly put it smacky smacky time.

What a shame it is that they have no records of what was taken and when. Makes it very hard to say we didn't take that stuff even if we did order it, pay for it and have it sitting in the fridge.

It is simply a matter of time before the house of cards crumbles.

As Sir Walter Scott once said, "O, what a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive"

They certainly have been hoist by ones own petard.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of cheats.

Summary:

• Hird wants to appeal

Looks like a 3 way splinter to me

Players.....EFC/Little.....Hird

Who is going to Rust first....?

I always thought this would happen....You only have to look at the original Press Conference from Feb 2013....Guilt was prevalent everywhere.

Edited by why you little

Looks like a 3 way splinter to me

Players.....EFC/Little.....Hird

Who is going to Rust first....?

I always thought this would happen....You only have to look at the original Press Conference from Feb 2013....Guilt was prevalent everywhere.

That looks like a 3 way sphincter to me.

Edit:- Should that be? smells like.

PS:- Hird and Little are the inner and outer sphincters and the players are just the poor shlts in the middle.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 2

ASADA is under no compulsion to provide the players with the evidence gathered from the investigation but it did so in the case of the NRL as it is now doing with these players. In that case, ASADA also offered the players a deal and a deadline to accept. It will be interesting to see whether the AFL players receive offers and if so what they are. We need to remember the fact differences between the two investigations were significant. The Essendon programme was far more wide-ranging in terms of its scope, the number of players injected and the length of time it ran so the NRL deals are not necessarily indicative of what will happen if anything with the Bombers.

WJ how do you know ASADA is under no compulsion to provide evidence. Is that part of the ASADA Act or something else? In any other tribunal etc natural justice would require it to be provided. However, I can understand this if the issue here is that once there is evidence that a charged athlete took something which there clearly is here, then they have to show records of what drugs they took and if they can't show that then they are automatically guilty of drug cheating. Do you know if that is how this procedure operates. If it is then surely that is very clear and I don't understand what the players think their defence is. I can understand why this would be the case because otherwise drug cheats could just merely not keep records and be free to cheat as long as they don't get caught through failing drug tests.

Yes....it is going to be very messy..

pull up a chair !! ^_^

• Like 1

The board should be handing out incontinence nappies. And a special head mounted job for Jacques Merde.

Seriously I am suprised the EFC Board haven't run away to Mexico...

I will not be suprised if at some stage players or families do not lay criminal charges...

I will not be suprised if at some stage players or families do not lay criminal charges...

It is possible that the whole delaying tactic has been to provide time for the directors to liquidate assets and move them offshore. We may have fallen for the obfuscation techniques employed by Little & co.

I thought we were Mexicans !! :rolleyes:

I really do not get why so many people are happy about this case, the potential demise of EssendonFC is not something to be happy about. What about the fans? How would everyone on here be if we did this? I bet everyone would be ranting and raving about the way ASADA has handle this. I am not condoning what they did but this is very very bad for every club and fan.

I really do not get why so many people are happy about this case, the potential demise of EssendonFC is not something to be happy about. What about the fans? How would everyone on here be if we did this? I bet everyone would be ranting and raving about the way ASADA has handle this. I am not condoning what they did but this is very very bad for every club and fan.

No it isn't...Essendon did what it did....We were also heading down the same path until The Press Conference Happened...

If we had gone further & been caught, i would expect ASADA to do the same

Performance enhancing Drugs in sport must be illegal

• Like 2

If it were Melbourne the members would have thrown out the corrupt board and accepted the punishment and moved on. This would have been dealt with last year.

• Like 2

I have empathy with the non feral Bomber supporter. As to the EFC.. No sympathy athy whatsoever. They are reaping what they sowed. They exhibited gall beyond arrogance in attempting to pervert justice. There a now dozens of inept and gullible players who dont know what health issues lay ahead and yet yhey continue their foolhardy stance. The club has brought the game into the mire, way beyond anything prior and still want to continue the farce.

All teams will end up paying in some ways. THE EFC has often been a loud mouth and conceited thorn in our side when we come under view/review.

Have no problem at all if they fell off map and replaced.

• Like 1

The game is bigger than Essendon.

If they brought about their own destruction, so be it. The game will continue. The EFC supporters will also move on like Fitzroy supporters had to. If EFC folds another club will be formed, maybe the Tassie Bombers, and they play half their home games in Tassie. The colours could be black with a red sash. But all the EFC cronies must be banished and forever forbidden from becoming involved with the new club.

• Like 1

If it were Melbourne the members would have thrown out the corrupt board and accepted the punishment and moved on. This would have been dealt with last year.

I agree- and everyone here, myself included, would have called our club weak for doing that. Guess you have to know which battles to chose. I wonder how many clubs would have fought the tanking case if they were in our position?