Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

The AFL would be negligent if they hadn't spent the last 18 months working on a range of contingency plans. And I expect they've talked to Essendon about them too.

I tend to agree in theory, but I just dont think Essendon are that embracing of the actual predicament theyre in.

They arrogantly believe theyve really done not "that' much wrong.

• Like 1

The AFL would be negligent if they hadn't spent the last 18 months working on a range of contingency plans. And I expect they've talked to Essendon about them too.

All guilty players to serve one match due to early plea, one player at a time, no more than one player to be suspended on any one match day

something like that

For what it's worth I believe both the AFL and Essendon have read this situation incredibly poorly from the get go. They misjudged ASADA's patience for weakness and tried to bluff their way through, believing that the AFL and by association Essendon were beyond the reach of ASADA. By saying that I mean that they believed that the AFL as a commercial entity was large enough and powerful enough that a deal could be brokered. In the commercial world everything is negotiable and principal is something you pay off on a loan. To a law enforcement bureaucrat principle is everything. It is their reason for existence. I can imagine both Little and Vlad believing that they could negotiate an outcome and still probably do. McLachan may have a better understanding of the situation but I wouldn't be surprised if Essendon still believed their own rhetoric. Given the bad blood between the AFL and Essendon I wouldn't count on the two parties sharing too much information.

• Like 2

All guilty players to serve one match due to early plea, one player at a time, no more than one player to be suspended on any one match day

something like that

not how it works, nor should it.

something like that

No way - are you seriously suggesting that, IF found guilty, anything as soft as that would be in any way in the interests of "the integrity of the game" or indeed of Australian or World sport. It would be a frigging joke.

• Like 1

I can see both points of view on the 'sad' day for footy vs clobber the cheats issue. I'd just add if a club had to be made an example of I'm just glad it was one of the big boys and not us, the Dogs, Kangaroos, St Kilda etc. I'd be reluctant to express any glee if they were in the firing line.

But it being Essendon, I don't feel too guilty expressing a bit of glee at the same time as feeling sympathy for the players (to some extent) and for the game.

thats what l reckon, they can go fcuk themselves, cheating bastards

Seems like they are about to get clarity but are not going to like the clarity they get. They really want the clarity that clears them...not going to happen.

Meanwhile Hirdy is on a $mill in the south of France.

Outrageous!!

seems like they are about to get clarity but are not going to like the clarity they get. They really want the clarity that clears them...not going to happen.

The should have sought clarity in writing from ASADA in 2012 before starting the injecting programme. All enquiries with ASADA get allocated a reference number. The correct thing to do was for the club doctor to make the proper enquiry and for the team leaders to insist that they were provided with the same proof before starting the programme. These are not cases where anyone can plead ignorance in view of the education process that applies to drugs and supplements.

• Like 1

If Watson loses his brownlow, i assume one will be awarded to Trent Cotchin and Sam Mitchell who finished equal second?

Running scared now huh Little ?

The self reporting claim is the one that grates with me because it's an absolute nonsense. Essendon started this process of allegedly "co-operating" with the powers that be on the very eve of the "blackest" day announcement. By that time they had either been tipped off about what was coming or someone at the club had great intuitive powers. As to "co-operation", I don't think so and I say this for a number of reasons but foremost is the fact that there seems to be no credible explanation as to what happened to the records of what drugs were pumped into which players. The most important pieces of evidence upon which the Essendon doping programme was based have gone missing/mislaid/destroyed or whatever and the club has no explanation. Yet, they whine about the inordinate amount of time taken to wrap up the investigation?

Sorry, I feel for some of their passionate fans - those who like many of us are heavily invested in their team but a great number have fallen for the tripe coming from their club and apologists in the media.

I believe that there will be around 40 infraction notices affecting about a dozen of their players and a number of officials and former officials. Obviously, some players will be charged with multiple infractions. The AFL will have to be very smart about the way it handles this. The worst possible scenario is that Essendon might fold and the AFL issue another entity a licence to field a new team next year. That would be a disaster for the true die hard supporters and something nobody wants to see happen.

• Like 5

I believe that there will be around 40 infraction notices affecting about a dozen of their players and a number of officials and former officials. Obviously, some players will be charged with multiple infractions. The AFL will have to be very smart about the way it handles this. The worst possible scenario is that Essendon might fold and the AFL issue another entity a licence to field a new team next year. That would be a disaster for the true die hard supporters and something nobody wants to see happen.

Why would the club have to fold? There's a fair gap between a dozen players out for 1-2 years and a club folding. I'm sure we'd be generous enough to allow Essendon enough sixth round picks to fill out the rest of their list.

My daughter is one of the fans you mention WJ.

If the EFC folded she would be lost to the AFL.

If infraction notices are issued and a large number of players suspend it will probably end her enthusiasm any way.

She said to me Yesterday " dad I have stopped watching Essendon as it is too painful I think we are gone and they deserve it"

• Like 2

My daughter is one of the fans you mention WJ.

If the EFC folded she would be lost to the AFL.

If infraction notices are issued and a large number of players suspend it will probably end her enthusiasm any way.

She said to me Yesterday " dad I have stopped watching Essendon as it is too painful I think we are gone and they deserve it"

I trust your depression about the MFC didn't turn your daughter into an Essendon fan. If so, see the damage you do. :>)

Edited by sue

Why would the club have to fold? There's a fair gap between a dozen players out for 1-2 years and a club folding. I'm sure we'd be generous enough to allow Essendon enough sixth round picks to fill out the rest of their list.

Your generosity knows no limits pantaloons!

• Like 1