The Trade/Draft Rumour Mill

MadAsHell

Herald sun gave us b -

Down graded due to question marks whether Dom Tyson worth pick 2

Had a contact who coached Dom in some context when he was Captain of oakleigh said he was a beauty and was a quality character

thats good.

I like it if the media are saying our recruits are crapola. more ammo for our fightback.

looks like jamar had little trade value.

dont discount crouch on being selected y us. just watch him hunt the ball and get the darn thing. he is a clone of todd viney.

I forgot about Crouch, what's his pace like? I've heard some really good things.

The footy media these days tend to have no idea until about a minute before the news breaks anyway.

I don't think Freeman will be available at 9 - Collingwood are apparently keen on him with 6 but I hope he falls through. If he's not available, Sheed or Lennon could be likely types.

I think lennon will be gone before freeman & we may not get either. maybe some slim sliders?

I wonder if it'll go close to this?

*GWS need quick effect & strong bodies. Boyd + Scharenberg. If they pass on boyd i'll be gobsmacked... longshot Aish?

*Saints need everything, but want to be Up, Up, & Away winning by mid 2015 so may not take a skinny type at P3? Billings, Lennon, Kelly?

*Doggies need class & speed, I think they'll take Aish here if his still there, otherwise they may look to KK, Lennon, Billings, Kelly? (cats style players)

*Suns - imo hardness. Lennon, Sheed, Dunstan, Crouch, Salem, Freeman?

*Pies - Billings, Lennon, Hartung, Freeman,

*Lions - Acres, Lennon, Dumont, Dunstan.

*Roos - *Luke McDonald*

*Dees - leadership & skill... Lennon, Dunstan,,, Acres, Dumont, KK?

*Pies - I think they'll go for hard leadership here... Sheed, Dunstan, Crouch?

Edited by dee-luded

There seemed to be hardly any players traded as a direct trade by any club. More free agent movement and trade for picks. Shaw for Adams was one, where there any others?

Paine for Karnezis today was another one.

Not sure why you think this matters at all though.

I'm staggered by the devaluation of players once they are drafted. Tyson is pick 3 originally and has 2 years on the clock and we were somehow ripped off paying pick 2 and upgrading other picks - 20 to 9 being a very valuable upgrade.

Players at this level don't depreciate once drafted, they're not like cars driven out of the new car yard, they actually appreciate. But people get so intoxicated by blue sky and want to punt a "star" they interpret very good trades as negative.

People are waxing lyrical over this years crop of early picks but it will be highly unusual if 3 or 4 of them aren't disappointments if not outright duds. Still people will continue to be blue sky junkies and then lash out at those who fed their fantasies and got the dud.

I think the simple reason why so many people are doubting what we've done is the cultural tendency to regard trades of high draft picks as silly. When was the last time a high draft pick got traded? 3 for Judd? I don't know, I'm just guessing, but the trend is obviously for clubs to hold top 5 draft picks, and as such, close-minded people who don't know much about Tyson and/or don't care much about Melbourne to know what our list is like just look at it and see 'pick 2 gone, some kid in' and that appears 'radical' to them.

This trade period has been fantastic for this club.

• Like 2

Already have Luke McDonald locked in as father son pick

thats right, forgot about father son with North. I was going on where I think they'll rate & also by team needs, as I think thats how they'll fall this year. quick effect for most clubs, except Saints who have 3 Yrs grace.

I'll add macDonald. thanks H_H.

I think lennon will be gone before freeman & we may not get either. maybe some slim sliders?

I wonder if it'll go close to this?

*GWS need quick effect & strong bodies. Boyd + Scharenberg. If they pass on boyd i'll be gobsmacked... longshot Aish?

*Saints need everything, but want to be Up, Up, & Away winning by mid 2015 so may not take a skinny type at P3? Billings, Lennon, Kelly?

*Doggies need class & speed, I think they'll take Aish here if his still there, otherwise they may look to KK, Lennon, Billings, Kelly? (cats style players)

*Suns - imo hardness. Lennon, Sheed, Dunstan, Crouch, Salem, Freeman?

*Pies - Billings, Lennon, Hartung, Freeman,

*Lions - Acres, Lennon, Dumont, Dunstan.

*Roos - *Luke McDonald*

*Dees - leadership & skill... Lennon, Dunstan,,, Acres, Dumont, KK?

*Pies - I think they'll go for hard leadership here... Sheed, Dunstan, Crouch?

As far as leadership goes, Dom Sheed's name would be in bold at number 1 - with daylight in between, then probably Lewis Taylor.

• Like 1

As far as leadership goes, Dom Sheed's name would be in bold at number 1 - with daylight in between, then probably Lewis Taylor.

yes but you need more than just leadership by itself.

From the little I've seen of him, I rate him below the Lennon & Dunstan as desirable ready to go footy players. maybe wrong, but thats what I've see so far. I'll be happy to be proven wrong when the time comes.

Lewis taylor I haven't seen. I didn't look at his Vid' at all.

I forgot about Crouch, what's his pace like? I've heard some really good things.

He is a tricky one. He knows how to get plenty of the ball and is hard at it (something the club needs); however, he isn't overly tall (183cm), or as athletic (in both endurance and power) as others that should be available at Pick #9.

Depends if the club wants an accumulator of possessions, who is not athletically gifted (ala. Sam Mitchell), or more your tall and athletic modern midfielder (ala. Scott Pendlebury). I could see Crouch come in and have an immediate impact at AFL level next season in a similar vein to what Wines did this year.

Paine for Karnezis today was another one.

Not sure why you think this matters at all though.

I think the simple reason why so many people are doubting what we've done is the cultural tendency to regard trades of high draft picks as silly. When was the last time a high draft pick got traded? 3 for Judd? I don't know, I'm just guessing, but the trend is obviously for clubs to hold top 5 draft picks, and as such, close-minded people who don't know much about Tyson and/or don't care much about Melbourne to know what our list is like just look at it and see 'pick 2 gone, some kid in' and that appears 'radical' to them.

This trade period has been fantastic for this club.

Can't remember saying it did. Just answering another post saying we didn't trade anyone when it looks like the idea of trading players for all clubs is not in vogue at the moment unless it's for picks. Plus I guess we didn't have much on offer except for picks.

Just watched the draft ratings on that video. Barrett really is an idiot. Based on the ratings they gave other clubs we'd have to be a solid B. C at the worst if they really didn't rate our pickups. By any reasonable assessment we broke even on Vince and won on Michie (giving up nothing). The question is whether pick 2 for Tyson and pick 9 is worth it. Personally I think it's a pretty good deal. Given the evenness of the top 10, downgrading to 9 will get us a player of about the same ability, so little real loss.

• Like 1

I hate that guy with a passion any time he can think of a way to attack us he does, we would be in the top 3 for trade period, he is just an utter and complete [censored], tbh i like Caroline Wilson more than that [censored].

SEN ranked the top three clubs trading as:

1. Collingwood

2. St. Kilda

3. Melbourne

To be fair to Terry Wallace, he consistently ranked us higher than Barrett, and when it was announced on Thursday that Trade Radio was going to rank trading by the clubs on Friday afternoon (with Barrott and one other - not Wallace), Wallace's words to Barrot was: "Now I hope you will be fair to the Demons, Damian". He was not joking, so it is not only Demons fans who complain about Barrott's prejudices against us.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

yes but you need more than just leadership by itself.

From the little I've seen of him, I rate him below the Lennon & Dunstan as desirable ready to go footy players. maybe wrong, but thats what I've see so far. I'll be happy to be proven wrong when the time comes.

Lewis taylor I haven't seen. I didn't look at his Vid' at all.

IMO Sheed is the best leader in the draft, having captained WA, performed as Captain and generally standing up when it counted.

I only pointed this out because you had a leadership/skill bracket for our needs and Sheed wasn't included.

Not saying he is the best player in the draft, but he is a better leader than those you mentioned.

I personally like Salem or KK for our pick 9.

Well, I think we did ok and that's all that matters. Won't know for sure for a few years yet...

Any word on possible PSD targets?

I would love to get a contract hold out from another club...

And Matt Thomas intrigues me.

Does he intrigue anyone else?

Luke Molan.

A tad harsh, because he was apparently a top kid, but using pick 9 on him in that draft was idiotic.

That draft isn't what people think it was.

Look it up.

Dal Santo at 13, Kelly at 17, and not much else...

• Like 1

What about Nick Joyce from the Adelaide Crows. Is he worth drafting as a rookie? He is listed as a midfielder and he has been in the system for a couple of years. Adelaide has just delisted him.

IMO Sheed is the best leader in the draft, having captained WA, performed as Captain and generally standing up when it counted.

I only pointed this out because you had a leadership/skill bracket for our needs and Sheed wasn't included.

Not saying he is the best player in the draft, but he is a better leader than those you mentioned.

I personally like Salem or KK for our pick 9.

haven't seen Salem, can you describe him? I have a perception of one who is more stopperdefensive than creative?

many scribes have Sheed at the bottom end of the top 10 & lower, so this helps colour my thoughts. I don't have the interest atmo to trawl thru searching for Sheed info, low on footy energy, drained since the 07 - 2010 period.

IMO, since we recruited many inside type mids, Our biggest weakness at this point is quality delivering off half back. KK comes into calculations here? but who knows maybe soft?

even tho Dunstan may be one paced he looks like a truly solid & reliable leader who can go deep inside or direct traffic from the defence setting us up.

Lennon looks great for anywhere, half back ruck/rover, inside mid, goal kicking mid. hits packs, takes hot contested marks. courage. I'm impressed.

Edited by dee-luded