POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

Well, in this case I had us winning one of the two post-bye games against the Saints and the Doggies. I said at the time that to sack Neeld on the back of two matches against far stronger sides would be a cowardly act on the part of the board and it would be more realistic and fairer to judge after these two games, both of which were winnable and against teams more in line with our own in terms of ability and form. I also said that if we lost both I would shut up about Neeld being the right coach for the club.

Neeld was judged on 35 games, not 2. And I'm battling to understand your logic about decent showings against the Saints and the Dogs proving you right. That sounds upside down to me; surely if we'd been smashed, *that* would prove it wasn't all Neeld's fault?
  • Like 4

Actually I noted his contribution, just as I noted the work he needs to do. Disposal efficiency is an absolutely rubbish stat. It depends who you talk to, but what some consider an efficient disposal is the ball getting on the full to any player on the ground.

Again, he reads the play well, has the ability to kick well, but makes poor decisions too often at the moment. I'm not saying he won't get there though.

Whether you agree or not with how they decide whether a disposal is efficient it is consistent across players. Therefore if you are better than the average ou must be doing alright.

Agreed. Isn't it disappointing to walk away from one of our very few wins with a hallow feeling. That [censored] me off. The effort across the first three quarters was solid though. Also, before I discuss Watts and the rest of the team I think it's important to note the Garland love is through the roof at the moment. What a champ.

And let's be honest with each other here.

Theres a lot to enjoy about the game and a lot to cringe. But guess what we got the chocolates.

Watts hasnt arrived a-la red carpet....but he's here !!! Maxy is a whiles off but he's showing something, and a bit more pizazz than both Russian and Pencil. They would be wise to take notice !!

Welcome back Chippy...Garlo youre a legend.

Lets not get carried away but a lot of blokes played like they CAN !!! about bloody time

the last qtr..hmm.. i'll give it to lost legs

• Like 1

I am seriously struggling with the consistent perception that Terlich is a poor user of the ball. The stats don't lie he has been well above league averages all weeks bar one and has been at seriously high levels multiple weeks including 83% this week. The only thing I can think of is that he is a backman that gets 20+ disposals per game, most under heat and he has a couple each week that stick in peoples minds. Maybe he should just stop getting the ball and then people will stop this perception.

Frawley said on SEN today that terlich is in all Australian form.....very impressed .....Craig also said if he had been in a top four team there would be a lot more talking about him .

• Like 2

Neeld was judged on 35 games, not 2. And I'm battling to understand your logic about decent showings against the Saints and the Dogs proving you right. That sounds upside down to me; surely if we'd been smashed, *that* would prove it wasn't all Neeld's fault?

I get the argument. If I understand it correctly, he's saying that these last two games were always marked down as being winnable. In which the level of the opposition would allow us to see what type of footy Neeld wanted the team to play.

Basically Neeld wins either way. If we win/put in a competitive showing, it is due to Neeld's building blocks in place. If we get smashed, the problem clearly wasn't Neeld.

I really couldn't care less, all I know is that the side is playing with more freedom and flair than it has all year.

We will get a greater indication of how the team has reacted to the new coaching environment coming up against a team like Sydney. If we are competitive, that hopefully puts the issue to bed.

• Like 3

Craig is now 1 for 1. Go get em.

Last week's game no longer exists?

I am seriously struggling with the consistent perception that Terlich is a poor user of the ball. The stats don't lie he has been well above league averages all weeks bar one and has been at seriously high levels multiple weeks including 83% this week. The only thing I can think of is that he is a backman that gets 20+ disposals per game, most under heat and he has a couple each week that stick in peoples minds. Maybe he should just stop getting the ball and then people will stop this perception.

I think he's a poor user of the ball, though I haven't been able to see the game yesterday so maybe he was alright.

I've noticed his kicking to be up and under and more often than others missing the target, and I also have considered his decision-making to be poor at times. Obviously he's not the only one who's like that in our side this year, and the rest of his game more than makes up for it, so I don't particularly care. Maybe I notice it more because he's a good player otherwise, as opposed to with some other players for whom poor disposal is just one of a number of flaws.

No...Neeld doesnt win...and didnt

• Like 1

Well, in this case I had us winning one of the two post-bye games against the Saints and the Doggies. I said at the time that to sack Neeld on the back of two matches against far stronger sides would be a cowardly act on the part of the board and it would be more realistic and fairer to judge after these two games, both of which were winnable and against teams more in line with our own in terms of ability and form. I also said that if we lost both I would shut up about Neeld being the right coach for the club.

The MFC gave Mark so many chances to show what he could do.

I don't think he was sacked on the last two games he coached, but because he could general only achieve a flogging from the opposing teams.

Mark Neeld was the worst Senior Coach in the AFL and I for one am glad he gone. What he and other have done to the MFC is unforgivable, Thank GOD for Peter Jackson.

Atleast there a greater chance of the MFC winning a game aganst a non-expansion team now.

Go the Dees!!!

My biggest issue with Terlich is that he tries to do too much when he has the ball and runs himself in to trouble, causing him to hurry his disposal. He seems to have the knack of turning back in to trouble, much like Nathan used to do.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Terlich is that he tries to do too much when he has the ball and runs himself in to trouble, causing him to hurry his disposal. He seems to have the knack of turning back in to trouble, much like Nathan used to do.

you know... a kid that tries too much is ok. we can temper that , we can coach him to play better. What would worry me,actually does concern me is players that dont try hard enough !

• Like 1

you know... a kid that tries too much is ok. we can temper that , we can coach him to play better. What would worry me,actually does concern me is players that dont try hard enough !

I don't have an issue with that and it's a trait that Nathan Jones has eliminated, to a certain extent, so it can be done.

• Like 1

Vomit. Watching the Foxtel coverage for the first time and if I hear one more piece of garbage from these 'experts' i'll crack it. Gia receives free for in the back when a Dees player rolls on top, it's well done, knowing the game, experience, professional free kick etc. Jonesy gets one and its soft, cheap, weak, knee drop etc.

Vomit. Watching the Foxtel coverage for the first time and if I hear one more piece of garbage from these 'experts' i'll crack it. Gia receives free for in the back when a Dees player rolls on top, it's well done, knowing the game, experience, professional free kick etc. Jonesy gets one and its soft, cheap, weak, knee drop etc.

Yeah on replay that really killed me. They were super harsh on Jones when that guy really was straight in his back. No doubt Jones went down easy but you get tackled from behind and hit forward why would you try and roll when instead you get let momentum take you forward and see if the tackler has the strength to turn you!

And the Blease on Gia one was soft as hell. Blease tried to turn him and Gia didn't let him!

More so the umpiring last night was a massive pain in that they went from the trend over the last month of paying nothing back to paying a lot of soft ones. Then when the game tightened up the whistle went away!!! Execept for that dumb out on the full which again shows me boundary umpires often don't have a clue.

One thing I did love when watching the replay was when they asked Barry Hall who would run it out the strongest at 3/4 time and he suggested us! And of course when they suggested the Bulldogs best key forward was Barry!

Edited by the master

Whether you agree or not with how they decide whether a disposal is efficient it is consistent across players. Therefore if you are better than the average ou must be doing alright.

I'll admit that his ability to get so much of the ball means that he will turn it over a few times and therefore that may stick in the memory. I'd say my point about experience and decision making is still valid for Terlich though. Each to their own, I guess.

Spot on, Robbie. This is decision making and can be ironed out.

Yeah on replay that really killed me. They were super harsh on Jones when that guy really was straight in his back. No doubt Jones went down easy but you get tackled from behind and hit forward why would you try and roll when instead you get let momentum take you forward and see if the tackler has the strength to turn you!

And the Blease on Gia one was soft as hell. Blease tried to turn him and Gia didn't let him!

More so the umpiring last night was a massive pain in that they went from the trend over the last month of paying nothing back to paying a lot of soft ones. Then when the game tightened up the whistle went away!!! Execept for that dumb out on the full which again shows me boundary umpires often don't have a clue.

One thing I did love when watching the replay was when they asked Barry Hall who would run it out the strongest at 3/4 time and he suggested us! And of course when they suggested the Bulldogs best key forward was Barry!

Tony Shaw was harsh. In fact, he was harsh on a number of Melbourne players.

You could hear the almost disdainful tone in Hudson's voice all night too. I've watched the replay twice now. Loving it. :D

Enjoyed the game but boy we have some midfield problems. Our set up seems all wrong and when Libba and Minson tear it up in the middle yet we can't stop it there are massive issues.

Boys tried hard and the one thing that is always missing from Melbourne which I saw last night - players running to their team mates to pat them on the back, offer support, pick them up and generally encourage them is the biggest and most obvious sign that this playing group have turned the corner and are playing for Craig (and maybe their careers). They seemed committed and happy to be out there. That is a huge slap in the face for neeld and to me vindicates the decision to dump him (not that it needed any more vindication)

• Like 2

Enjoyed the game but boy we have some midfield problems. Our set up seems all wrong and when Libba and Minson tear it up in the middle yet we can't stop it there are massive issues.

yeah the issue is named Brian Royal

Watch us replace him with a good midfield coach and improve tenfold

Edited by hogans_heroes

yeah the issue is named Brian Royal

Watch us replace him with a good midfield coach and improve tenfold

I thought it was the MFC way to say "I can not tell if he can coach or not as the football department is too disfunctional"

I remember Brian Royal as a very good player but don't know if he can coach or not.

He did come second at a number of Senior Coaching jobs over the years.

I assume there must be something there which has stopped him getting a Senior Coaching position.

I thought it was the MFC way to say "I can not tell if he can coach or not as the football department is too disfunctional"

I remember Brian Royal as a very good player but don't know if he can coach or not.

He did come second at a number of Senior Coaching jobs over the years.

I assume there must be something there which has stopped him getting a Senior Coaching position.

You've also got to assume there is something that has kept him in the system as an assistant coach going on 20 years, he must have something to offer.

Rjay I tend to think the same thing, he can't be terrible as he has such a long involvement in the game as a coach at different clubs.

What I will add to that though is many of those years have been at Melbourne, no one had looked to poach him from us and we haven't been particularly successful during his tenure.

I suspect he knows his stuff, I'd solid and well respected but isn't at the top rung as an assistant.

You've also got to assume there is something that has kept him in the system as an assistant coach going on 20 years, he must have something to offer.

True.

There are alot of good assistant coaches that would not make it at Senior Coaching level eg Mark Neeld.

Could be Brian is not a good public speaker etc.

How good is being in two out of the ten highlights this week with the win to back it up?

basking in the morning sun

BASKING, a win is a win is a win

don't shoot ourselves in the foot until Thursday

lets just bask in the glory of the 8 points

basking in the morning sun

BASKING, a win is a win is a win

don't shoot ourselves in the foot until Thursday

lets just bask in the glory of the 8 points

If only it was round 2!

Life would be perfect.

Or atlest until we all woke up from our drug induced slumper.

Wait we are the MFC and not the EFC so it can't be a drug induced coma then.

Oh well.