"There's a strong argument," Gil McLachlan on a Priority Pick.

I find it very difficult to argue with people who say we don't deserve a PP. The number of high draft picks we've pi$$ed away in recent years is staggering.

If the assistance we are receiving doesn't include a PP, I won't be complaining.

Putting the past aside, the AFL is obligated to look after the present and future. Yeah, our club hasn't picked well - they haven't developed them well either - there is a argument for that too.

If ever there was a case for the AFL to use their discretion given the circumstances of the list and performances to date over the last 2 years (even further back), it's now.

If they dismiss this case of a club that has all the variables and hallmarks of a club in need of a PP - then they will most likely never have to use their discretion or hear another case again for a priority pick.

We have the worst % ever after the halfway mark of the year for an established club, worst performing midfield, the stat lists is endless that supports the cause for action.

7 years of garbage. id say we NEED a PP.

the garbage you refer to

our coaching of draft choices?

our draft choices?

please we need to get it right, not beg for help.every other club keeps saying WE DIDNT GET IT RIGHT

so why should we get another chance to make a mistake and 17 clubs suffer for our poor performance

• Like 1

the reasons we are garbage have nothing to do with the fact that priority picks are given out to teams that are garbage - which we most certainly are.

fixing the club also needs to happen (duh). but that is irrelevant to the fact that we are no good and have not been any good for a long period of time.

we are begging for help because WE OBVIOUSLY NEED HELP.

the PP is there to help!

not giving us a PP would be like saying "yeah you need help, but we aren't going to give you something that helps".

the equivalent is having a child that cant read, but saying "yeah you need help, but we aren't going to give you extra reading tuition because you've made mistakes in the past."

lastly, a footy club at this level is about the supporters. forget the players etc, they are all there to make us happy and come along to games. the SUPPORTERS need the HOPE of a PP.

Edited by biggestred

the reasons we are garbage have nothing to do with the fact that priority picks are given out to teams that are garbage - which we most certainly are.

fixing the club also needs to happen (duh). but that is irrelevant to the fact that we are no good and have not been any good for a long period of time.

we are begging for help because WE OBVIOUSLY NEED HELP.

the PP is there to help!

ok

I think the supporters need to see improvement in what we have and what we will get in the next draft

not what we deserve, you deserve what you work hard for

Edited by jazza

Yes we have been rubbish for six years but I don't believe another pp is warranted. We've had a couple, and the fact is we are told that the club is undergoing a comprehensive restructure. We will have a new coach and new football department soon. Let's see how that goes.

It's about time the competition had an uncompromised draft.

Our list is not hopeless. There is a solid core of talent and some still to come on (ie Hogan, maybe Barry, Taggert, Tynan). I'd rather see us walk on our own than be a charity case in all aspects of the game.

Besides, we've already shown that pps can be fool's gold.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 1

I would give us Pick 11 (mid first round) and Pick 20 (end of first round) with the instruction that one or both had to be traded out.

Just like the AFL have their secret measurement for FAs they should have a ranking system for any Priority Picks. Hell, I will help them out with one as I am sure they made up the FA rules as they went last spring - it was a haphazard joke.

With that ranking system the Dogs might qualify for one or the Saints next year.

The problem with Priority Picks is the perception. Suddenly you are given the best teenager in the land. It doesn't even up the competition for years (until that player is ready to give a performance worthy of his talent).

Even up the comp by giving clubs assets (picks) they are told to move out - it gets players from good teams to those who need help.

• Like 1

For me the PP doesnt work (that well ). I put it in this light

We need to ramp up our competitveness as of game one 2104

A kid wont do that, he'll be 2-3 years away given I suspect that we are all looking to a quality mid(s)

So...the best value of a PP is trade. .

A mini draft provides this ( and more imho ) whilst not overly taxing the rest of the competition, i.e it ought to be more palatable.

I concede the major obstacle to this is no precedent ( not for an existing club ) all minis have been for expansion clubs.

Icant see us getting a PP but would say thankyou.

i think greater value can be had of some "special" funding to facilitate a good contract to a decent coach.

He will impact 44 players..a PP will impact one ( maybe )

Mate we are reknowned for our patience but sheeeeiit.....

lol.

Well.

Ummm

Hvae dsyleixc figners !!! :)

For me the PP doesnt work (that well ).

Tell that to the Hawks when Buddy kicked 100 goals in 2008 to help them win the premiership, or to Collingwood when Pendlebury won the Norm Smith in 2010.

They don't guarantee success, but they can have a BIG impact.

• Like 1

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/if-port-adelaide-can-turn-it-around-surely-so-can-demons-20130625-2ovb3.html

EQ says we probably shouldn't get Pick 1.

To me, this isn't about Pick 1. We need a leg up, we are too far away from the pack. We cannot continue to turn over 10 players a year and hope we can get some diamonds in the rough and get above average in the early picks - we need help.

EQ mentions what we have discussed here: pick that must be traded, later picks, state league preference, and help to chase a FA.

I love the pick-to-trade idea, am ambivalent to later picks or state league preference, and hate the salary cap help idea.

Yes EQ using the "deserve" word - it's not about deserving. We deserve to be on the bottom of the ladder. We deserve to be ridiculed and are. We "need" a PP.

I'm keen on the compulsory trade idea, that's what the GWS mini-draft picks should have stipulated. If the GWS picks HAD to be traded and some bandit club was going to make off with O'Meara or Hogan by trading a mid range player they'd quickly be outbid. We need an immediate injection of experienced talent - not 3 more 18yo with potential.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 1

We trade our first pick to another lowly club who are desperate for a KPF (ala Bulldogs or Saints) for an established midfielder and their first pick.

Boyd for established midfielder and pick 3-5 (?)- will be a win for both clubs. They get a target up forward (which we have enough) and we get midfield help and a pick we can do something with. Win all around. Get it done.

I don't see why GWS won't pick Boyd? It's not like they are overflowing with talls they've only got Cameron and Patton(who seems injury prone). They've also got O'hailpin but he doesn't have long left and they are looking to try get Buddy but really if I was them I would pick up Boyd. They have a plethora of midfielders they must get more KPP's. So if they finish last and take him then at least we won't have the horrible decision of choosing a midfielder over the best available.

Tell that to the Hawks when Buddy kicked 100 goals in 2008 to help them win the premiership, or to Collingwood when Pendlebury won the Norm Smith in 2010.

They don't guarantee success, but they can have a BIG impact.

read my post again. Consider the context...consider i noted any bonus to us must be effective immediately in the new season.

A pp doesn't do that of its own accord. It might give you a player a few years hence..might.

I don't see why GWS won't pick Boyd? It's not like they are overflowing with talls they've only got Cameron and Patton(who seems injury prone). They've also got O'hailpin but he doesn't have long left and they are looking to try get Buddy but really if I was them I would pick up Boyd. They have a plethora of midfielders they must get more KPP's. So if they finish last and take him then at least we won't have the horrible decision of choosing a midfielder over the best available.

Because there is no guarantee we will finish above them.

My opinion of the PP ...if we get it great ...,if not don 't really care. But what we all need to remember the AFL needs a healthy viable competition. In all other sporting codes we face world wide exposure. $3 million & a PP is a drop in the ocean compared with what they are pouring into GWS & to a lesser extent the GC. They have done It with Carlton ,Bris Lions & several other clubs. . With the compromised draw & sycophantic pandering to the "larger" clubs ... I have no compunction at all in receiving any help he AFL offers us

Craig was also asked about whether the Demons deserved a priority draft selection at the end of the season, amid comments from Lions coach Michael Voss that he would be "disturbed" if Melbourne did receive the selection. Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney also said he supported Voss's point of view.
"I understand where they're coming from. It’s a highly competitive environment," Craig said.
"But teams that finish towards the bottom of the ladder have the opportunity to make a presentation to an independent commission.
"There will be commentary from other clubs, but that's the benefit of having an independent commission and I'm more interested in the views of the independent commission."

I like this stance. Stressing the only independent voice on this issue is the AFL Commission.

• Like 2

I like this stance. Stressing the only independent voice on this issue is the AFL Commission.

Yep, spot on. I mean who cares what other coaches think. Interesting article in today's age about the rise and rise of Griffen who interestingly was a PP. IIRC they were a bit of a schommozle of field for a while there. I wonder if the doggies deserved that pick?

i suspet the pp may be part of the afl trying to sway roos to coach us, in any case we have lost more games by 100 plus points in the last two years than the comp can afford