• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

If Spencer gets more weeks than Simpkin then.....

DeeSpencer

I don't know what I'll do but seriously.

Spencer should be suspended. Ever since the Daniel Bell incident we've said front on contact is dangerous and can results in concussions and the great worry of broken necks. Big Jake the giraffe didn't know what planet he was on and clearly came through with too much speed although he was barely moving at time of contact. The slide rule being a contributor in this as well. Now McEvoy contributed by fumbling the ball and [censored] himself and ducking into it instead of turning sideways and avoiding contact but all that is irrelevant. So I'm thinking it will be assessed as negligent, high contact, high impact due to McEvoy getting subbed (which I believe didn't hurt the saints as he was getting a bath anyway and they were too tall up forward but that's for another day). The way the points end up he'll end up getting 2-3 or more at minimum but we live with that because (apparently unless you are Hodge) that AFL is trying to protect the head.

But ...

Simpkin's punch has got to be the closest thing to a king hit since Barry Hall. If this doesn't get serious airplay then the AFL should rename itself the Friday night/big club league because the rest of the comp doesn't matter. But Dawes has copped one flush on the chin behind play. He was struggling anyway but it certainly wouldn't have helped his day. It will probably be assessed intentional (or reckless), high contact and medium impact.

So if the tribunals funny point system has awkward bump with little malice ranked higher than a fair dinkum off the ball smack across the chops then I'll be damned.

• Like 7

There was no way Spencer meant to hit McEvoy and the rest of the players knew it, otherwise there would have been a blue, but he did hit him and I agree with your assessment, he will get three with two for an early plea.

• Like 2

To simplify what I said I've played many games of footy and whenever I went out there I did knowing full well I could get on the end of a bump like McEvoy got from Spencer. It's part of the game that those collisions will happen. I certainly never expected to be on the end of a punch like Dawes was unless it was in the middle of a good old all in brawl when you'd be looking for it.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-06-22/simpkin-decks-dawes

• Like 2

Simpkin should cop a month.

To hit another bloke when he isn't looking is very dangerous - not to mention weak.

Barry Hall done it, yet wouldn't risk the biscuit to get inside the squared circle, so it's not a tough act.

Hall is not a tough guy and shouldn't be looked upon as such, either should Simpkin, it's weak.

• Like 1

Spencer was actually stationary when McEvoy hit him. Thats the line I would take.

Looked ugly (liked most of spencers actions) and if it was Collingwood he would get off. BUt as its Melbourne 3 weeks.

There was no way Spencer meant to hit McEvoy and the rest of the players knew it, otherwise there would have been a blue, but he did hit him and I agree with your assessment, he will get three with two for an early plea.

Robbie, i think spencer meant to hit McEvoy BUT i thought that Spencer thought that McEvoy would have picked up the ball - the intent was to bump but I think he assumed that the saint kilda player would have straightened up after picking up the footy. Instead he fumbled and lurched forward and Spender, who had committed to bumping, kinda followed through without malice

• Like 2

That hit on Dawes was one of the most blatant acts of violence on the footy field in a long time. Just common assault. Akin to the nonsense seen in the Thugby State of Origin match a couple of weeks back.

There is no place for that in our great game, and the Match Review Committee should throw the book at that thug. Six weeks as a minimum. Fair Dinkum. I can't believe how little has so far been made of this incident!

Time to get real, folks!

• Like 1

Spencer is gone for at least a couple and that is a shame as that was easily the best I have seen him play.

I thought he did really well - used the ball, marked it, beat mcEvoy physically, involved himself and won possessions, applied pressure, chased, tackled (or tried to). Easily the most involved performance from ruckman at MFC that I have seen this year - not the best, but the most involved.

• Like 3

It looked like McEvoy actually ducked his head to draw a free. But I agree it was just clumsy by Spencer and its just him and his build. He could have done a lot more damage. But I agree he will get suspended but he has a good record I take it, its a shame because he was actually ok yesterday.

Simpkin was just weak the way he hit dawes in the jaw behind play. Did you hear stupid BT last night. He said Dawes should have got straight back up and reckon he staged it.

I thought he did really well - used the ball, marked it, beat mcEvoy physically, involved himself and won possessions, applied pressure, chased, tackled (or tried to). Easily the most involved performance from ruckman at MFC that I have seen this year - not the best, but the most involved.

Agree. Unlike Jamar, this bloke can actually move.

His 1%'s were IMO sensational. He is still learning and his effort was first class.

• Like 4

Simpkin was just weak the way he hit dawes in the jaw behind play. Did you hear stupid BT last night. He said Dawes should have got straight back up and reckon he staged it.

Only one way to test that. Smack BT in the ear when he isn't looking and see how he reacts.

I thought it was a low, weak act and the very thing the AFL hates. We will see what he gets. It's certainly worse than a sling tackle in play and that has been getting 3 weeks lately.

• Like 2

His 1%'s were IMO sensational. He is still learning and his effort was first class.

And I'm not upset about the bump - in finals, the instinct to hurt blokes and remove them from the contest is what we want.

I thought the idea of three umpires was to catch these off the ball incidents.

Obviously the Umpires were not doing their job once again !

In fact the standard of Umpiring throughout the game was poor !

Maybe its time that if Umpires are found not to be doing their job and Miss incidents like what Happened to Dawes then they themselves should be fined .

Maybe if the take a hit in their own pocket they will then do their jobs better !

Edited by Demon Stalwart

And I'm not upset about the bump - in finals, the instinct to hurt blokes and remove them from the contest is what we want.

It will be interesting to see how the MRP views this.

Pros: No pace in incident as Spencer was nearly stationary, he is clumsy, McEvoy contributed by fumbling and then ducking his head instead of bracing, no elbow, McEvoy walked off not carried off, no alternative as couldn't tackle as McEvoy didn't have the ball, could argue accidental, no bad history.

Cons: They don't like head contact, McEvoy subbed off, probably concussed.

Conclusion: reckless, high contact, medium impact. 3 with a 2 for guilty plea. If really lucky 2 with a 1 for guilty plea.

• Like 2

Poor Spencer, what an unco.

And as much as I'll get howled down, the video footage of the Dawes thing did look like he took it a bit, then sort of fell away in a different direction. Didn't actually look that bad, in terms of the connection, and disregarding the fact it was a blatant swing.

I remember last season one of the leaders, I think it was Nathan Jones, said that Spencer gave the team a real lift because of his competitive nature. I've also heard that he enjoys hurting the opposition. The great thing with competitive players is that they will always compete regardless of whether they are having a bad day.

Also, looking at the footage it appeared that Spencer braced and turned to avoid contact but McEvoy lurched forward changing direction when he fumbled which resulted in the collision. The only thing Spencer could have done differently was left himself open or go in head first. IMO he didn't bump as a bump would involve delivering force on the contact, while he braced which resulted in lessening the force. I reckon he will be offered 1 - 2 with an early plea but really hope the club appeal any ruling more than 1 week as he didn't bump.

• Like 2

There are elements of the Simpkin hit which the MRP might deem unusual enough for the matter to be heard directly by The Tribunal.

Someone said that it was a Common Assault and indeed it was; the fact that it occurred during a game of football is not material.

It would be appropriate that Simpkin forego the privilege of an Early Plea. Reckon on one month.

I agree RobbieF. I just saw the footage & IMO 'frank' just saw him coming & stopped turning sideon to block, nothing in it for mine & playon.

some say time out ? ... what, is he meant to jump out of the way??? the games crazy sometimes.