Another Potential Presidential Candidate

deanox

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-13/another-lib-for-demons

Alan Stockdale has arisen as a possible candidate for President or the board. He is a Melbourne supporter, with serious experience. The article indicates he has been approached, but doesn't indicate whether he has been approached by the current board or if he has been approached by disgruntled supporters.

• Like 2

No objections to Stockdale-as long as he doesn't have Kennett involved .

Two big differences-he's not a complete [censored] ,and he has a magnificent set of eyebrows ,which is a pre-requisite for anyone in a position of power .

• Like 13

Like his politics or not, he has serious experience in running a huge organisation and I am sure he would do the job well, and keep his nose out of (but be very interested in) the day to day footy matters.

Yeh, I am a leftie and dont like his politics or the way he went about it.

HOWEVER at least he is a Melbourne Person and is not a Grandstander. My only question is whether he has a high enough public profile which may affect marketing.

• Like 2

The Lefties will be up in arms, but I'd strongly welcome his input.

As what you would term a 'leftie' (ie anyone to the left of Andrew Bolt), I wouldn't care if Attilla the Hun ran the MFC if it leads to success. It's footy, not the future of our society.

Stockdale sounds a better bet than Kennett. My objections to Kennett are entirely that he is a Hawk's supporter and especially his previous calls for MFC to merge/relocate.

• Like 2

What's his background?

He was Jeff Kennett's Treasurer and left Victoria in a very solid financial condition. He was I believe on the MFC Board around 2000 for a while and some sort of big wig in Maquarie Bank.

So he is experienced in high business*, and also a true believer (in MFC).

PS* Also Federal President of the Liberal Party, so to answer dimmy, above, he has a high profile. Also a very articulate speaker, and smart mover - ex top Barrister (and I don't mean he makes good coffee).

Edited by monoccular

He was Jeff Kennett's Treasurer and left Victoria in a very solid financial condition. He was I believe on the MFC Board around 2000 for a while and some sort of big wig in Maquarie Bank.

So he is experienced in high business*, and also a true believer (in MFC).

PS* Also Federal President of the Liberal Party, so to answer dimmy, above, he has a high profile. Also a very articulate speaker, and smart mover - ex top Barrister (and I don't mean he makes good coffee).

Business people who run tight ships, hasn't been the downfall of the club over the decades... but maybe the downfall of it.

The decisions have been made to run the club like a business, & thats got us nowhere. Instead of running us like a footy club...

IMO this is why we have no grassroots support base. we've run the club from the Top down, instead of building the Club from the bottom & Up.

we've not kept & grown our own support base, choosing to only look after our members over North, to the clubs demise.

...this is Not to say we can't be business Savvy, we must...

but this is supposed to be a Footy Club, not an Opera Show. we have to run a tight Board but grow our Club support base first & then turn that into members.

We need someone who can relate to the people, & speak their language, & at their level... from memory, Stockdale doesn't...

... & we need a board who'll put into place the decisions, & actions,, to encourage prospective supporters to follow Our Once great club.

I'd like to hear from Freeman, having never met him. I'd like to see how he relates to the supporters.

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 2

ironchef.jpg

This guy should throw his hat into the ring... If the Eyebrows doesn't run! He has done wonders for Japanese cusine, and the things he has done for the kitchen stadium is just amazing!

Edited by Strapping Young Lad
  • Like 2

No objections to Stockdale-as long as he doesn't have Kennett involved .

Two big differences-he's not a complete [censored] ,and he has a magnificent set of eyebrows ,which is a pre-requisite for anyone in a position of power .

& I thought Geoff Freeman was interested in the Job...

Stockdale,,,,, & kennett is said to have contacted & spoken to Stockdale just recently??? how long has things been going on???

I've been very suspicious about this kennett Saga, the whole time.. smelling a Rat... & I think its coming out of the rubbish heep now.

I've wondered about the faction thats spent a lot of time since last year, agitating about Neeld,,, & indirectly the board, biding their time... for their Right Time. & I think their showing themselves Now...

... just as a solid possibility has arisen in Mr Freeman, a potential President.... all of a sudden geffs sergeant at arms, has quickly jumped up as a runner,,, But Wait; not Until after the Federal Election....

... is this a Panic stations announcement by the kennett faction, because Geoff Freeman has shown up, & spoken to the AFL already... & Is interested In Serving the Club, helping to get us onto a better plane.

I always wondered about the geff show, some sort of pantomime put on by that faction who wants Stockdale in as their Man at the Top... geff, well I think he was always just the sideshow as usual,,, before the real hidden truth was unveiled on us, all at they're whim...

no wonder Don Mclardy said: Why would a person who bleeds brown & gold want to run Melbourne... well I don't think he did,,, or Does... I think the real Sting is Stockdale, & the faction around these parts, who have tried to play everyone for fools.

... playing games with Melbourne supporters? you make up your mind.

I think Don Mclardy wants to hand over as soon as the man with the right credentials has arrived, & one has already been in to talk, & been to the AFL to chat as well.

A well Organised man who is straight upfront, it would seem...

If this is correct, I'll be forgetting about the clowns I suspect of running a pantomime.

I know who I'd trust to be on the board & run a good tight ship. He's already spoken to the Key People involved in a bloodless & dignified way, away from the bright lights & cameras that geff has sought out, on behalf of their menaga3...

& I thought Geoff Freeman was interested in the Job...

Stockdale,,,,, & kennett is said to have contacted & spoken to Stockdale just recently??? how long has things been going on???

I've been very suspicious about this kennett Saga, the whole time.. smelling a Rat... & I think its coming out of the rubbish heep now.

I've wondered about the faction thats spent a lot of time since last year, agitating about Neeld,,, & indirectly the board, biding their time... for their Right Time. & I think their showing themselves Now...

... just as a solid possibility has arisen in Mr Freeman, a potential President.... all of a sudden geffs sergeant at arms, has quickly jumped up as a runner,,, But Wait; not Until after the Federal Election....

... is this a Panic stations announcement by the kennett faction, because Geoff Freeman has shown up, & spoken to the AFL already... & Is interested In Serving the Club, helping to get us onto a better plane.

I always wondered about the geff show, some sort of pantomime put on by that faction who wants Stockdale in as their Man at the Top... geff, well I think he was always just the sideshow as usual,,, before the real hidden truth was unveiled on us, all at they're whim...

no wonder Don Mclardy said: Why would a person who bleeds brown & gold want to run Melbourne... well I don't think he did,,, or Does... I think the real Sting is Stockdale, & the faction around these parts, who have tried to play everyone for fools.

... playing games with Melbourne supporters? you make up your mind.

I think Don Mclardy wants to hand over as soon as the man with the right credentials has arrived, & one has already been in to talk, & been to the AFL to chat as well.

A well Organised man who is straight upfront, it would seem...

If this is correct, I'll be forgetting about the clowns I suspect of running a pantomime.

I know who I'd trust to be on the board & run a good tight ship. He's already spoken to the Key People involved in a bloodless & dignified way, away from the bright lights & cameras that geff has sought out, on behalf of their menaga3...

your a very immature old man.
  • Like 3

What is your view on Monobrows Biff?

Most of the Italian women i've dated have them BBO.

They go well with the moustache.

(I'm going to my bunker now).

• Like 3

Thanks for that guys.

BTW. Alpacas favour monobrows.

Rumour is that your Alpacas aren't that choosy.

He is/was as boring as batshit.

I think suggesting he was a "top barrister" may be stretching the truth a bit far.

I think he was a Director of the MFC several years ago so has some knowledge of what it is about.

Probably MFC needs a person with a higher profile but I am not absolutely oposed to the idea (particularly when compared to Jeff).

No thanks. We don't need someone to run the board because they were once famous. We need quality leaders. When did he lead? He just held Jeffy's bag of cash.

We need to get out of the desperate search for a saviour and think about building a quality board that will take us forward, building a culture and making smart, hard decisions.

• Like 1

What we dont need is names per se..

what we DO need is people to come forward and explain their vision, and how they intend to deliver it.

No more ballsh!t.... just some reality

• Like 1

Please no. Actually know him, his ex wife Doreen and three sons really well.

He's about as charismatic as a brick wall and have a closer look at his post politics career at maquarie infrasture, which is now defunct......it's not coverd in glory and booted out of maquarie about 8 years ago and landed no other significant corporate gig.

Would much rather Jeff.

Please no. Actually know him, his ex wife Doreen and three sons really well.

He's about as charismatic as a brick wall and have a closer look at his post politics career at maquarie infrasture, which is now defunct......it's not coverd in glory and booted out of maquarie about 8 years ago and landed no other significant corporate gig.

Would much rather Jeff.

A very successful friend of mine was on the Board of Symex Holdings with him. He speaks very highly of him.