Kennett future MelbourneFC President?

Satan

Jeff's history of working with other strong minded people is not good. Robson although not flavour of the month at the moment was a good operator at Hawthorn and helped turn the club around with Dicker, moved to Essendon mid season under Jeff. Pelchan, who was the architect of their list moved on less then happy. You do the sums.

Agree. He also called for Clarkson to go after round 1. How stupid does that call look now? He has also tried to get rid of Clarkson previously, the guy we wanted when we got MN.

I'm positive you don't.

Look pal, it's clear you don't.

Jackson understands how to run a club, as well as the proper chain of command, which is what he's changing at Melbourne. He understands how to make staff accountable and follow procedures, but it's the Board that outlays the ideas and vision. It's the board that determines strategy. The CEO implements the Board's ideas, runs the club and adheres to business principles.

Why post when you have no understanding ?

Edited by Ben-Hur

There's no way he'll try to merge the club as it's the polar opposite of what he's trying to deliver, i.e. a strong MFC.

I can only admire your faith. You might be correct initially, but what if the wheels start to come off? What do you think he would do then? I reckon he'd suddenly think that the best thing for a 'strong MFC' is merge/relocate. And at that stage it could be hard to stop him.

"Prior to the former Victorian premier vacating his six-year role at Hawthorn, he said: "I'd love the challenge of restructuring their business and getting the model right, but I've said no. I've got brown and gold in my veins and I've got to say it wouldn't feel right to be at another club."

From the Australian today.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1

I think that having a CEO who has the blessing (and direction) of the AFL will deliver this so-desired independence and better governance.

A Kennett-like figure may be enticing for similar reasons, but we need a Board full of loyal Demons because they need to work for nothing, they need to keep their mouth shut when approriate, and they need to keep in-confidence - all the dirty secrets of the club.

Have a Demon as President.

• Like 2

Agree. He also called for Clarkson to go after round 1. How stupid does that call look now? He has also tried to get rid of Clarkson previously, the guy we wanted when we got MN.

Maybe he was already acting on behalf of the MFC in calling for Clarkson to be sacked and we just didn't see it at the time?

Kennet's way less fun when he's on his medication

• Like 1

I think that having a CEO who has the blessing (and direction) of the AFL will deliver this so-desired independence and better governance.

A Kennett-like figure may be enticing for similar reasons, but we need a Board full of loyal Demons because they need to work for nothing, they need to keep their mouth shut when approriate, and they need to keep in-confidence - all the dirty secrets of the club.

Have a Demon as President.

Rubbish argument. Having CEOs/Boards of diehard Demons time after time justs leads to relapses. It's time to inject fresh blood into this corpse. The mythical 'great business leaders' that supposedly barrack for MFC are smart enough to keep well away from this husk. We can't rely on them to come forward because we might be dead by then. The fact that people on Demonland want David Schwartz anywhere near this club just goes to show how daft some MFC supporters can be. And if you'd like to label my argument specious like everyone else who disagrees with you, don't bother, it just confirms what we all know: rpfc has a dictionary.

• Like 1

Are you on drugs?

I simply expressed my opinion, sorry about that. Does that make me biased?

PS. What if PJ won't work with JK?

nice one red

Dont need oto be on drugs to be able to stand back and view perspective .

What if PJ WILL work witj Jeff ?

Why dont we just wait and see. Or are 5 sec judgements the rule of day now?

Edited by belzebub59

The Board's role is to set the vision and strategies for the club, as well as maintaining corporate governance. It is the CEO's job to run the club and implement the vision and ideas of the Board.

Big picture and governance not management but you say Jeff sees it as a management role.

Big picture and governance not management but you say Jeff sees it as a management role.

I'm telling you what the roles are.

Kennett can call it what he likes. Unlike you, he understand the role, as he did it successfully for 6 years.

Having met Jeff myself and seen alot of the work and care he puts into things first hand all I can say is that if it comes to a vote he will get mine.

People pay out on the media constantly here but now many are deciding to judge this man based on what they have seen on him in the media.

Hoe many of you know about the reforms on conditions he did for staff at strip clubs for example?

Edited by olisik

This has no relevance. Jeff's specialty is turning basket cases organisations around. He did it with our state, he did it with the Hawthorn Football Club, he can do it for us. We need to let him. Remember we can always vote him out if he starts power tripping to the detriment of the club.

Jeff is our best hope. He will increase the profile of the club, which increases media attention, which increases sponsorship, increases members, which increases player satisfaction with the club, this improves the chances of holding players and bringing new players in, which inturn improves performances. All of this improves the financial position of the club allowing it to spend more on the football department and thus further improving performance.

Get it!

Jeff would be the best thing ever to happen to our club........ in my life time.

I won't get into the policies that Dinosaur Rover bought up. I will say that he is making a big mistake if he thinks I bring that up as some vindication of state Labor. (I view myself as a Malcolm Fraser liberal).

As for GNF, I would say the last part has plenty of relevance. As has been said by some on this board, we have just moved on from one circus. Alas we aren't bringing in P.T. Barnum like Iva suggested, we would more be bringing in Pennywise the Clown from 'It'. The facts are Jeff has a horrible history of burning and standing over people and if ANY club needs more conciliation and less confrontation at the minute, it's us. Ask Russell Savage how much of a legend Jeff is. Or Clarko. Or Roger Pescott. Or Peter McLellan. Or the hundreds of other people whom he has mistaken for one of his cadets back at Scotch College and has tried to be their drill sergeant. The blokes listed above weren't incompetent yet Jeff felt the need to relay some of his personal 'charm' onto them.

Jeff and his crap got a pass at Hawthorn as while the club was average when he took over, it was never in danger of going bankrupt. We are at that point if the current bleeding continues. He could parrot on at Clarko all he liked as Clarko could deflect his BS as he had the runs on the board. What's going to happen if Jeff takes over next year and Mark Neeld is coach? We'll be getting chapter and verse on how bad the team and coach is and there will be more general disunity.

Again, you can couch it in whatever jargon you like and all the hypotheticals you like. Keep this bloke away for the club. It's round peg and square hole stuff, politics aside.

I'm telling you what the roles are.

Kennett can call it what he likes. Unlike you, he understand the role, as he did it successfully for 6 years.

Why are you still posting, in another topic, you said you have lost interest and won't be attending the QB clash, most of this shouldn't bother you then

Jeff's history of working with other strong minded people is not good. Robson although not flavour of the month at the moment was a good operator at Hawthorn and helped turn the club around with Dicker, moved to Essendon mid season under Jeff. Pelchan, who was the architect of their list moved on less then happy. You do the sums.

Specific personality conflicts will always exist. Doesn't mean we can automatically preempt that conclusion in this case. That said, your concerns have merit.

If there was a choice to be made, I would be keeping PJ.

I think a lot of people are confusing roles at a football club. Neil Balme pointed this out pretty well, it is the CEO's job to run the club, the board and the President oversee this on behalf of the members. There role is a governance role.

Peter Jackson will be the agent of change we need at this club, he will need the support of a strong President and board. Jeff is more likely to run his own agenda than support the CEO's and this would be a fatal mistake. For the Jeff supporters get him in as CEO and replace Jackson if you think he will do a better job or let Jackson get on with it.

You took the words out of my mouth. How many people here know how boards are supposed to work? How many understand governance?

You are perfectly correct, the CEO runs the club and the President is the overseer. Kennett would be an utterly hopeless CEO as this position requires skills in communication and compromise as well as leadership skills appropriate to the 2010s (which I think he lacks anyway). Stick with Jackson, who can set the direction for the club. If you have a very good CEO and a unified strong team below him, Bozo the Clown can be President.

The worst kind.

A terrible do nothing Prime Minister. He had a massive mandate and was a joke. He looks even sillier now with his leftist views.

That statement is pretty indicative of what the right wing of the Liberal party really is: obsessed with identity politics and a hater of people who don't toe their line. They luuuuurved Malcolm when he and that pumped up bunyip potentate of a governor general got rid of Gough (a decision of Malcolm's that I don't agree with) but since he didn't get the memo that it's O.K. to strip people of their civil liberties and lock up kids behind razor wire, he is as welcome as the Pope at a Mason's picnic (a quite appropriate analogy I would think).

If you want to keep sparring BH, feel free but please do so through private messages. This isn't fair to the rest of the board.

Edited by Guest

I'm not advocating JK I have stated before I'm waiting to see the Ticket and what they propose (although well aware of promises and fanfare), I am not against somebody who is from another club coming in and taking over if it is for the benefit of the club. I think Jeff and those of similar ilk would be professional enough to perform the role to the best of their ability.

Sheedy was a through and through Tiger but changed the culture of the Bombers and made them into a pwerhouse on field, David Parkin is he referred to as a Hawk or a Blue (was in fact a Dees fan growing up).

I may be wrong on this but Checker Hughes didn't he come to us from the Tigers and set about changing our culture. Furthermore is he not the man who made us the Demons from the Fuschia's.

All I'm saying is as we look as a club do move forward, don't be afraid to think outside the square and embrace change

• Like 3