Garland

jnrmac

No its not. They continually get beaten in one on one contests. They cannot beat their man.

I do not accept that it is the midfield entirely although they are useless as well. We play dumb unaccountable football

I didn't say it was the midfield entirely.

Seriously, though, go and have a look at the way Kerr, Masten, Priddis, Gaff and Shuey (and others) kicked the ball into the West Coast forward 50. Then, ask yourself what more our defence could do to stop the forwards.

I'm not saying our defenders are amazing; they're not. Frawley and Garland have a lot of work to do in their one-on-one contests. I'm not denying that. But they will look a lot worse when opposition midfielders deliver the ball into the 50 with ease and no pressure. If and when we ever get some midfield pressure, you may see a change in that.

• Like 1

I didn't say it was the midfield entirely.

Seriously, though, go and have a look at the way Kerr, Masten, Priddis, Gaff and Shuey (and others) kicked the ball into the West Coast forward 50. Then, ask yourself what more our defence could do to stop the forwards.

I'm not saying our defenders are amazing; they're not. Frawley and Garland have a lot of work to do in their one-on-one contests. I'm not denying that. But they will look a lot worse when opposition midfielders deliver the ball into the 50 with ease and no pressure. If and when we ever get some midfield pressure, you may see a change in that.

That's true but today Garland showed he has no idea when playing one on one. Too many times he gave away stupid free kicks because he doesn't know how to make position or use his body and isn't strong enough to hold his ground.

• Like 1

Frawley and Garland can play, and play well. Add Tommy Mac to that.

Sure they are struggling but for the last 4 years this pair have been hammered from pillar to post trying to stop wave after wave of unpressured attacks from our opposition.

Put them in a top 8 club and they'd walk into most teams once they get some confidence back. These guys deserve medals for the way they have fought against the odds over time. They'll get it back and the better our midfield gets, the better they will

The club does not need its best players walking.

no we dont, but we are talking about Frawley he has been disinterested for well over a year, and shown little appetite for the contest. Look at his stats today, they are a disgrace, put added pressure on Garland and McDonald and others because he does not do his job, does not chase, does not spoil does not tackle. and turns the ball over. Check his stats for today, or any other game this year or last.

The number one problem with our defence is our midfield.

In the third quarter (the truly problematic one), the West Coast midfield was able to deliver the ball inside 50 at ease, with no pressure. Many of their kicks weren't able to be spoiled as they were purely to the West Coast player's advantage.

It's so easy to blame it all on Garland and Frawley, when, truth be told, they got no support from anyone, and had to deal with the ball constantly coming inside 50 with speed and precision.

Having said all that, of course it's also not fair to not note their poor games today. Frawley is just nothing like he used to be, whilst Garland is a third tall, nothing more. Problem for us is that West Coast had two or three legitimate forwards at any given time, making Garland have to play KPD, which he's just not good enough at.

I'm fairly sure Gillies was recruited to help in this area. That hasn't worked, as yet, and may not work. But Garland and Frawley do need to improve their one-on-one work regardless.

Agree with all of this.

Oh...and ....its the mid-field stupid...the mid-field....the mid-field.

And did I say....its the .....mid-field.

no we dont, but we are talking about Frawley he has been disinterested for well over a year, and shown little appetite for the contest. Look at his stats today, they are a disgrace, put added pressure on Garland and McDonald and others because he does not do his job, does not chase, does not spoil does not tackle. and turns the ball over. Check his stats for today, or any other game this year or last.

You do know he was injured all of last year don't you...

That's true but today Garland showed he has no idea when playing one on one. Too many times he gave away stupid free kicks because he doesn't know how to make position or use his body and isn't strong enough to hold his ground.

Wellman.

Garland used to be able to position himself a lot better. Now he panics and I don't entirely blame him, given the lack of support and the ease with which the ball comes in to his opponents.

He was just out muscled in the 2nd half, really struggled.

Do you reckon Carlton wishes they could have traded virtually any other player on there list than Kennedy for Judd now. He is the player they are really missing up fwd. Captain Hindsight out.

• Like 1

This. Garland has lost the plot. One on one disaster.

When was the last time Frawley and Garland played top football for the MFC and I wish those Frawley supporters shut up about his injury last year. If he runs out onto the ground then IMO he is ready to play.

Get your confidence back chipper and start earning your pay packet.

2 words

Backline coach

3 words - FMD !

so the player is constantly grabbing the arm - thats the backline coaches fault...the player is constantly giving his opponent 3 metres start to the ball - thats the coaches fault. The player is constantly being outbodied - blame the coach.

If it helps you sleep at night by giving the players excuses not to perform by blaming the coaches then fine. I prefer to lay the blame on the blokes on the field who actually have to show some heart. ( please explain "blaming the coach" when a player Nathan Jones is coached by Brian Royal who everyone wants to knife ? He is horrible coach except with Jones ???)

• Like 1

3 words - FMD !

so the player is constantly grabbing the arm - thats the backline coaches fault...the player is constantly giving his opponent 3 metres start to the ball - thats the coaches fault. The player is constantly being outbodied - blame the coach.

If it helps you sleep at night by giving the players excuses not to perform by blaming the coaches then fine. I prefer to lay the blame on the blokes on the field who actually have to show some heart. ( please explain "blaming the coach" when a player Nathan Jones is coached by Brian Royal who everyone wants to knife ? He is horrible coach except with Jones ???)

Absolutely its the coaches fault. If you were the coach would you let a man described above play on the backline you coach? I wouldnt

• 3 weeks later...

Props to this man for turning it all around. If there was ever proof that everything rests on the players' shoulders, this is it. No change of coaching, no big sackings; just a 180 degree turnaround in intensity and effort.

Bravo Colin Garland!

• Like 8