Perspective Please

Brian Wilson

He briefly talks about how 'we've been losing for so long', when asked about our confidence. It's not unfair to infer from that that he's saying 'when we get behind, we're so used to losing that we lose our confidence in our ability to win'. Lends credence to the 'tanking has instilled a losing culture in our team'? Food for thought.

Absolute rubbish that tanking has instilled a losing culture in our team. Half the team has been replaced and we have had a new coach for two preseasons. However I do agree that confidence has huge impact on the mindset of a team but with so many new inclusions why is that not one of them could summon any semblance of team spirit and at least finish the game with passion rather the limp wristed effort they showed. My question is that are they so frightened of deviating from the coach's plan that there is no flair left. I would never question Jack Grimes as captain but why not get the team together in a group and stare each one down and ask for a lift before splitting up for the last quarter. I know Jack puts in 100% but I expect more from a captain. I want him to inspire his team to follow his lead. Maybe next week we should just leave it to JV. Hopefully Jack has humbled his team mates by his after game speech.

• Like 1

I would implore every supporter to make your voice heard. Whether it be in person, by phone, email, social networking, or a combination of all of the above. Send a clear message that this will no longer be tolerated by the fans who have stuck with this club. That's all.

Here's some perspective for you 'Brian Wilson' ... If the MFC continues to serve up that lamentable shyte for much longer and then we will almost certainly go down the route of Fitzroy and become and footnote in league history.

We were pathetic and disgusting and the players, coaches and admin deserve every whack they get from every quarter.

Supporters who claim "loyalty" in the face of that aren't to be admired, but pitied.

My great grandfather was President of Fitzroy. My family felt that demise rather intimately. He was undermined while ill and this is the reason that his grandsons chose to support different clubs. One chose St Kilda, where he played some games in the twos. The other chose Melbourne. C'est la vie.

We need to support the club through thick and thin. Round one is not the time to be booing. If we want to avoid the fate of Fitzroy, we must be stoic. We must show our team that we support them, regardless of the circumstances. If we turn on them now, what do we gain?

• Like 6

Absolute rubbish that tanking has instilled a losing culture in our team. Half the team has been replaced and we have had a new coach for two preseasons. However I do agree that confidence has huge impact on the mindset of a team but with so many new inclusions why is that not one of them could summon any semblance of team spirit and at least finish the game with passion rather the limp wristed effort they showed. My question is that are they so frightened of deviating from the coach's plan that there is no flair left. I would never question Jack Grimes as captain but why not get the team together in a group and stare each one down and ask for a lift before splitting up for the last quarter. I know Jack puts in 100% but I expect more from a captain. I want him to inspire his team to follow his lead. Maybe next week we should just leave it to JV. Hopefully Jack has humbled his team mates by his after game speech.

Was just being provocative :P

I would implore every supporter to make your voice heard. Whether it be in person, by phone, email, social networking, or a combination of all of the above. Send a clear message that this will no longer be tolerated by the fans who have stuck with this club. That's all.

I think the booing today sent a clear message to the Club. I have never heard my team being booed off the ground before. We have always politely clapped them off even after some of the debacles last year. Not anymore. By the looks of the players faces as they went down the race and by the reactions of some of the players in the rooms, they have got the message. We can't take anymore.

• Like 1

Perspective? Bahahahaahahahahahhahahaha

I've been watching this utter shite for too many years there's some perspective.

Port have no right to be any better than us based on our respective lists and last few seasons there's some perspective.

Doggies, Giants and Suns all showed some heart in round 1 and will probably [censored] us when we play them there's some more perspective.

MFC will likely win another spoon but at least we can add to our collection of high draft picks who never actually do anything; how's that for perspective.

Only positive to come out of today is that I didn't go to the game otherwise I very likely would have burst a blood vessel in my brain.

AFL is a tough brutal sport. Unfortunately Jack is not a tough, brutal man. Nice bloke though he seems to be, he's so far from having what it takes to succeed in this sport it's not funny.

Do you reckon he would've become something if he'd gone to Collingwood or West Coast? My feeling has always been that he would.

• Like 1

Do you reckon he would've become something if he'd gone to Collingwood or West Coast? My feeling has always been that he would.

Agree completely! And wouldn't have been thrown to the wolves before his body and skills were ready!

• Like 1

There are obviously a lot of Melbourne supporters who don't attend many matches. I have heard Melbourne booed off many times over the last few years, particularly at the Etihad. Brent Moloney left the club, in my opinion because last year when we lost to North Melbourne, a supporter threw a scarf in his face and told him he was no longer required at the club, and that is a pleasant way of expressing what he said. I was one of two supporters that dished it to the players at the interchange bench at the end of the match. Unfortunately there are too many 'soft' supporters who accept performances like the one we had today and I believe that the players pick up on that vibe and do not feel enough concerted pressure to really perform on the big stage. Do you really believe that Collingwood or West Coast would accept that drivel today without getting into the ear of the players and the coaches. If you are not a Demons supporter that requires players to play to a certain standard then I believe that you are better off taking your loyalties to another club, the same also applies to the players, the coaches and the administrators.

• Like 3

Here's the thing BW. Those of us that boo'd the performance at the end of the match were still there. We had 120 minutes to leave and we didn't. We will support the club because for most of us it's part of our DNA, but what we won't do is tolerate the crap served up today.

I'll be there next week but I'm not afraid to let the players know they let down the clubs 150 year history when they cave like they did today. It's the only recourse I have that's actually constructive. Not buying a membership only hurts everyone.

If they can't handle booing after an 80 point thumping then they aren't up to it.

• Like 4

Today shouldnt be tolerated and it won't. The team should have been "up" and they weren't. They failed to work hard for each other and failed to execute a plan.

Next week they get the chance to respond. Yes I'm sick of next week too but it's all we have.

• Like 3

how's this for pespective?

Round one:

Richmond defeats carlton by 5 points

Western bulldogs smash brisbane by 68 points

GWS loses to reigning premiers Sydney by 30 points

Suns top the saints by 13 points

Melbourne obliterated by Port by 79 points

• Like 1

He briefly talks about how 'we've been losing for so long', when asked about our confidence. It's not unfair to infer from that that he's saying 'when we get behind, we're so used to losing that we lose our confidence in our ability to win'. Lends credence to the 'tanking has instilled a losing culture in our team'? Food for thought.

It's the coach's job to re-programme the mindset. in the circumstances of our past couple of years, this must be the overwhelmingly top priority for the coach.

Instil faith, individually, collectively. C'mon, Mark, you made the "hardest team to play against" comment - your own credibility depends on persuading these players to have some belief.

And oh for some self-motivating players with flair and talent, to break out of this depression hanging so heavy over the club!

• Like 1

, yeah lots of angry people here tonite , im one of em , just got home from the g , i cant believe how slow we are , run down from behind, so many times, loose port players everywhere , it was a bloody shambles , it really was , jv had a good game , was rapt to see that , but the booing ? ive never heard that before and ive been to plenty of games , , i didnt boo , but i undertood why , , i just hope this is the pineapple up the clacker the side needs , fipo !

• Like 1

Here's the thing BW. Those of us that boo'd the performance at the end of the match were still there. We had 120 minutes to leave and we didn't. We will support the club because for most of us it's part of our DNA, but what we won't do is tolerate the crap served up today.

I'll be there next week but I'm not afraid to let the players know they let down the clubs 150 year history when they cave like they did today. It's the only recourse I have that's actually constructive. Not buying a membership only hurts everyone.

If they can't handle booing after an 80 point thumping then they aren't up to it.

Fair enough. I guess I'll accept that we all express our loyalty in different ways. I was disappointed to hear the boos, but nowhere near as disappointed as I was with the team's performance.

, yeah lots of angry people here tonite , im one of em , just got home from the g , i cant believe how slow we are , run down from behind, so many times, loose port players everywhere , it was a bloody shambles , it really was , jv had a good game , was rapt to see that , but the booing ? ive never heard that before and ive been to plenty of games , , i didnt boo , but i undertood why , , i just hope this is the pineapple up the clacker the side needs , fipo !

Wake up call #37.

It's past the stage of wake up calls. Those delivering the message aren't looking fit to do so.

The list is not this bad. Not even close. They are just completely bereft of self belief.

• Like 2

Perspective: We are the worst team in the AFL on form. If we continue to finish bottom our relatively weak club will die. Supporters who are with this club through thick and thin can't stand the pain any more. This is fact. I watched all 4 qtrs, I always do, I don't boo, but for the first time I understood those that did. Our club is haemorraging, if we don't show something next week we will lose a lot of valuable and passionate supporters through the fact that its not enjoyable or rewarding to put yourself through this every year, and even though I will be there to the bitter end, I don't blame them. I have waited all the the offseason for this, read every training report, been to training, bought a membership, paid for a seat, bought merchandise, defended my club against the media and anyone else.... for what?

• Like 1

THE PERSPECTIVE IS THAT THIS CLUB IS ON ITS FINAL DEATH THROES

We are already on our way to having 6000 members less than lastyear......we simply cant afford another year of spineless football.

Perspective: We are the worst team in the AFL on form. If we continue to finish bottom our relatively weak club will die. Supporters who are with this club through thick and thin can't stand the pain any more. This is fact. I watched all 4 qtrs, I always do, I don't boo, but for the first time I understood those that did. Our club is haemorraging, if we don't show something next week we will lose a lot of valuable and passionate supporters through the fact that its not enjoyable or rewarding to put yourself through this every year, and even though I will be there to the bitter end, I don't blame them. I have waited all the the offseason for this, read every training report, been to training, bought a membership, paid for a seat, bought merchandise, defended my club against the media and anyone else.... for what?

For [censored]! That's what!

• Like 1

You want perspective, here is some perspective for you.

We've won ONE meaningful game of footy in over 12 months. If it wasn't for GC and GWS, we'd be set for a third wooden spoon in a row this year (and it wouldn't surprise me if we win it this year).

Mark Neeld can't hide behind excuses anymore, and neither can our players.

When a first gamer is your best player, you have some serious issues. Not even our experienced players in their prime are any good, in fact, they are going backwards. This is unacceptable.

To be booing your club in round one of a brand new season, after so many previous years of rubbish, because they kicked just one goal in a half of footy, after so many goalless quarters in years before, is just a sad state of affairs.

There is actually nothing to take away from this match, other than same old shite.

Perspective? I got nothing.

• Like 4

I'm part of an email group of Canberra based supporters and several are saying they won't be renewing their membership but will be doing so for GWS. Perspective? This club is in dire straits. That's the reality of this situation.