Changes v Essendon

DeeSpencer

Magner needs to come into the side, not sure how this will work with him being a rookie.

Kent, looked good and positive during pre season, he should crack into the side soon

Dawes for Sellar, cement hands for concrete hands

Didn't see Terlich play on the weekend, but reports have him close to BOG, straight swap for Gillies, seriously, he kicked a point for Port, WTF?

Out: Sellar, Gillies, take your pick!

In: Terlich, Dawes, Kent

Gillies was so bad it was not funny.

Why is no one calling for Watts to be dropped?

Out - Gilles, Watts, Pederson, Tapscott, Nicholson

In - McDonald, Terlich, Jetta, Dawes, Davey

Watts has shown that he can play well at half back. Deserves at least one more chance.

Firstly, delete the squibs.

Out Pedersoft, Watts and Dunn

In Spencer, Jetta and Terlich

Then remove the dumb ones.

Out Tapscott and Sellar

In Magner and Dawes

Start Blease on the ground, make Davey or Rodan the sub.

Demote Jamar to 2nd ruck / forward.

Then pray the drug tests come back positive 5 minutes before the game and only Goddard takes the field. We might win by 3 goals.

Edit.

Out Gillies

In Tom McDonald

Edited by Deestroy All
  • Like 1

Were you at the game Biff? M.Jones was one of our best. Given you didn't know Terlich didn't play I'm going to assume you weren't there.

I was there Stuie-didn't notice Jones except when he ran to the bench.

Don't really know the difference between them yet-don't care either.

Saw Sellar and Nicholson fumble chest marks and Pedo sh!t himself.

Also saw Nicho double fist a live mark when he was all alone for the ball.

I was there with my 4 year old for his first game ever.

Pretty sad.

Did you boo?

Pretty sad.

Did you boo?

Pretty sad allright. Our skills were as bad as ever - no improvement. I reckon this is our lowest ebb. There really are no excuses - we changed half our list. We are not in a dire financial position. We have as many coaches as anybody and all the other bells and whistles of a "football department". yet we cannot fire a shot.

What do we lack? Heart, character, guts?

Pretty sad.

Did you boo?

Matt Jones had 22 touches, fair few contested, and was probably our 3rd best player today.

I didn't boo, my passion was drained by 3/4 time, couldn't muster it.

Sellar, Nicho, and Pedo were all horrible. Can't understand why Jetta wasn't named ahead of Nicho, guess he will be next week.

Someone said McKenzie was in our best, I thought he was awful, he doesn't possess a football brain, he kicked to the opposition so many times today. If you get the ball and then continually turn it over and they score, you need to get a minus stat ! He would have ended up with -10 possessions

Pretty sad allright. Our skills were as bad as ever - no improvement. I reckon this is our lowest ebb. There really are no excuses - we changed half our list. We are not in a dire financial position. We have as many coaches as anybody and all the other bells and whistles of a "football department". yet we cannot fire a shot.

What do we lack? Heart, character, guts?

Character.

All except Viney who grew up in the place, and Clark, who knows no other way.

There is no talk and no vibe.

Seems like a simple game that we make hard.

Must drink heavily.

• Like 1

Someone said McKenzie was in our best, I thought he was awful, he doesn't possess a football brain, he kicked to the opposition so many times today. If you get the ball and then continually turn it over and they score, you need to get a minus stat ! He would have ended up with -10 possessions

Gotta agree here. I've stuck up for him before due to his work ethic, tackling etc, but we are simply not a good enough team to carry a "pure" tagger, as in someone whose job is only defence and can't win or use the ball themselves.

Matt Jones had 22 touches, fair few contested, and was probably our 3rd best player today.

I didn't boo, my passion was drained by 3/4 time, couldn't muster it.

Sellar, Nicho, and Pedo were all horrible. Can't understand why Jetta wasn't named ahead of Nicho, guess he will be next week.

Good new about Jones although I was too busy frothing at Sellar and Chip, Nicho,Pedo,Gillies to see him.

Agree on Jetta.

I thought Viney was our best by a mile.

I stayed till the end.

I saw Chocko come out with a piece of paper to address the mids at 3/4 time, then gesticulate wildly for a while, before jogging off with Jade, fatty Brown and the other geniuses.

I haven't seen the game, but it sounds like Gillies, Nicholson, Watts, Dunn and Pederson were as bad as they come.

However, it doesn't really matter. We're not going to go anywhere whilst the core of the side doesn't put the required effort in. We can change the players as much as we want, we just aren't going go become anything other than a bottom 4 side when teams can treat matches against us like a training drill.

Watts has shown that he can play well at half back. Deserves at least one more chance.

Yeah. He was smothered today. We need someone else, not just him, who can set up from back there.

I feel like we used all our shot in the preseason game against Port and they knew what to expect.....which is just what we gave them today.....a walk through zone and a play on at all costs or kick it down the line if you can't play on game plan.

For mine the two 'shirkers' need to go. Gillies and Sellar. If you hear footsteps on the MCG you are not in the right frame of mind to play for MY team .

The HEAD COACH needs to have a good hard look at himself as well. I am all for 'elite' preparation but I want ELITE performance TOO.

It's time to bring back a bit of emotion in the preparation not just focus on 'logic' or 'tick all the boxes'.

'Play for the jumper' or 'play for your mates' or whatever gets you going OR ELSE 'play for your spot'. If you can't do that..............collect your last pay check and close the door on your way out !!

Terlich deserved a game before today's debacle and should be in next week. I think Davey should be played as well.

The fundamental mistake we made at selection was with our back line. It was far too tall and lacked mobility. The only small back in Dan Nicholson looked unfit and lacking in confidence so it was no surprise that we lacked runners down back. It wouldn't surprise to see some changes in that area with Jetta, Terlich and Tom McDonald all coming in.

I said this a long time ago but I would like to see Frawley in a key forward position. If he's not up to it in defence then give it a go.

• Like 2

OUT:

Pedersen. I have said it all preseason - he is a spud and not AFL standard.

Gillies - is it possible to recruit this poorly?

Nicho - Can. Not. Kick.

Tappy. I have been gunning for his inclusion all preseason. He was atrocious today.

Watts. The easiest position on the ground to play and accumulate free possessions, and he gets two kicks. I have been a strong and stalwart defender of Jack, but his intensity, heart and focus were embarrassing - for him and the jumper. He must be dropped. The playing staff cannot tolerate this soft, passionless footy.

Midfield coaches. How bad are we?

VERY LUCKY:

Sellar. In certain situations, we probably need him

McKenzie. We have no-one else who can stifle Watson

Sylvia.

IN:

Dawes

Terlich

Jetta. Cannot believe his exclusion for round 1

Davey

Tom McDonald

• Like 1

The fundamental mistake we made at selection was with our back line. It was far too tall and lacked mobility. The only small back in Dan Nicholson looked unfit and lacking in confidence so it was no surprise that we lacked runners down back. It wouldn't surprise to see some changes in that area with Jetta, Terlich and Tom McDonald all coming in.

I said this a long time ago but I would like to see Frawley in a key forward position. If he's not up to it in defence then give it a go.

Can anyone believe the down hill slide of Frawley. I know that he played injured for a lot of last year but today after a good preseason he looked slow and reactionary. Where is the AA Frawley gone. Hopefully Tommy Mcs return will assist.

Sellar, Gillies and Tapscott are the first 3 out in my opinion. McDonald, Dawes (if fit) and Terlich to come in. I'm sure there will be more changes. Thankfully I'll be working next saturday night, couldn't handle another performance like today with my arrogant essendon mates.

• Like 1

I can't understand how tapscott was selected in the first place. He hardly earned his spot based on his pre-season form -this simply doesn't happen in the good sides, if you're borderline best 22 you have to show some kind of form to warrant inclusion.

Can anyone tell me what his optimal position is? His 7 possessions today tells me he isn't a half forward flanker.

Other than being solidly built he hasn't shown anything in his career so far, other than laying a few bumps.

Frawley and Tom McDonald the 2 key defenders for mine with Pederson to cover when required. Dunn plays as the third tall edging out Garland due to his superior kicking. Watts stays and is joined by Terlich and both are encouraged to run and carry when they can. Nicholson stays as small running defender. And thats it. 2 Key Defenders, 1 Third Tall 3 and 3 running defenders.

The game today is pretty much 1 Ruck, 1 'Leigh Brown Position', 4 Key Position Players and everyone else has to be able to run and carry. We were a couple of runners short today.

The recycled players we picked played horribly. All worse than what they previously dished out at their old clubs. It is the coaches job to get the most out of his players. Now if these players are worse now then fair to say neeld isn't performing well. If the recycled payers don't improve on today I'd say that would suggest neeld Can't coach.