More home games in Darwin coming...

stuie

People here have been complaining about not picking up more sponsors - but when we land a nice deal that could build over the longer term to be worth quite a substantial amount, plus bring in a few new members and supporters, there are plenty, it seems, ready to criticise.

This is Demonland, of course posters are ready to criticise,just ignore them

I was told about this a couple of days ago at the Club, been to Darwin three times, most of the players love the trip, so do the supporters who go, if you want a better attendance posters need to get on the plane and go and support

• Like 3

moon probe is exactly what this is. well said. this is so amateurish and a detriment to the team having to deal with those conditions. Really, how many die hard MFC members are goingto be produced from two games in darwin. meanwhile the blues are sneaking in to the G behind us. really small minded pathetic marketing. Melbourne as a brand must be pushed in VICTORIA. there are more people living on teh monington peninsula than living in the entire northern territory. concentrate on making the MFC brand an icon in melbourne. to do that means winning games at the MCG and getting on the BACK page of the papers. Not some experimental clash against Port, 3000km away. Rookie mistake really

if we play our Darwin games well inside the dry season what are 'those conditions' you are talking about?

So the NT government potentially chip in 1.2 - 1.3mil for two games, match day sponsorship & also a deal where the club gets access to the army barracks for pre-season camp. I also believe that this deal could lead to other potential sponsorship arrangements & associations with companies & organisations in the NT. I don't see how supporters can really complain when the club is being proactive & growing revenue. 1.3 mil equates to over 6000 standard memberships, how is the club going to magically grow that amount of members during the duration of this deal(assuming it is 3-4 years)?

At the moment the MFC simply doesn't have the membership numbers & need to make up the shortfall somewhere. The docklands fixture is a nothing game & probably costs the MFC. It would be a good idea to replace that game with a 2nd game in Darwin as others have already mentioned. The club is being pro active in Casey trying to build membership/supporter base through community programs. Yes there is probably more the club can do in terms of growing membership in Melbourne, however the most important of those would be winning games. If people have other viable ideas to grow membership in Melbourne by all means lets hear them.

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 5

So the NT government potentially chip in 1.2 - 1.3mil for two games, match day sponsorship & also a deal where the club gets access to the army barracks for pre-season camp. I also believe that this deal could lead to other potential sponsorship arrangements & associations with companies & organisations in the NT. I don't see how supporters can really complain when the club is being proactive & growing revenue. 1.3 mil equates to over 6000 standard memberships, how is the club going to magically grow that amount of members during the duration of this deal(assuming it is 3-4 years)?

At the moment the MFC simply doesn't have the membership numbers & need to make up the shortfall somewhere. The docklands fixture is a nothing game & probably costs the MFC. It would be a good idea to replace that game with a 2nd game in Darwin as others have already mentioned. The club is being pro active in Casey trying to build membership/supporter base through community programs. Yes there is probably more the club can do in terms of growing membership in Melbourne, however the most important of those would be winning games. If people have other viable ideas to grow membership in Melbourne by all means lets hear them.

I also support two Darwin games and cannot see why we cannot develop them into 'real' home games for us where we have a competititive advantage [via our pre-season training camps taking place in Darwin]! Also I have long been wanting an excuse to visit Kakadu and this could be it [& a win for NT Tourism, our sponsor].

Much prefer it to a single home game at Etihad each year as at present!

Sounds OK to me as long as those matches replace Etihad ones and are scheduled in a way which doesn't destroy our chances in the subsequent games. I hope we can make the AFL accept that in return for us bringing the NT into their empire.

• Like 2

moon probe is exactly what this is. well said. this is so amateurish and a detriment to the team having to deal with those conditions. Really, how many die hard MFC members are goingto be produced from two games in darwin. meanwhile the blues are sneaking in to the G behind us. really small minded pathetic marketing. Melbourne as a brand must be pushed in VICTORIA. there are more people living on teh monington peninsula than living in the entire northern territory. concentrate on making the MFC brand an icon in melbourne. to do that means winning games at the MCG and getting on the BACK page of the papers. Not some experimental clash against Port, 3000km away. Rookie mistake really

Are these the same diehard supporters in Victoria who can't be bothered going across Melbourne to attend games at Etihad.

What conditions in Darwin, have you been?.....that is why we are training there as well....last season it was quite pleasant, I know I was sitting in the stand at the game

Experimental clash, what for last 3 years, you really do need to get your facts straight before you vent

You have to think outside the G, great move if it involves sponorship as well, hopefully they can organise the games in a 2 week period.

• Like 2

Simple solution for the 2nd NT game at this stage would be to play it in the last game of the year, would give us about 6 months to recover before our next game.

I'm all for this sort of thing, providing the AFL fixturing can be flexible enough to ensure or preparation and recovery periods are 100%. We need to be innovative with what we propose, such as playing the Saturday night before the QB game (gives us 9 days turnaround) then follow that with the bye. And even look at the split round at the start of the season - we could play this Saturday night, then that gives us 2 weeks turnaround until Round 2.

• Like 1

I've said my piece many times about the benefits of Darwin, I will refrain from explaining again, here is some proof.

Only the blind, dumb & stupid would be against it.

One bonus Hells Gates is that you will get to see 2 games. Gotta look at the positives.(apart from the $$$$$)

This is just so stupid!!!!!

Why didn't we snap up Hobart when we had the chance. I don't care if the money is less because 2 games in Hobart gives us a footy loving audience and a viable destination that is easy enough for the players.

Darwin will literally cook our players. It's not only a long travelling distance but the games up there leave the players stuffed for the next week.

Plus we keep having Port as the away team which really gives them a leg up more than anything and makes it harder to win.

How many potential members and what kind of growth market of AFL fans are we looking at in Darwin. I am less than convinced.

I'd rather us play in Ballarat or Bendigo where we might get some members (or at least make current ones happy) and if we fill the stands and get a good stadium deal whilst we wont get 500 garaunteed we will still get a lot more than a melbourne home game against Freo or GWS or GCS.

If we start playing games in regional cities, for a pittance, we might as well fold up the tent.

• Like 1

It's the sad reality of where we are at as a Club. Who in their right mind would expose their players to 1 let alone 2 trips in the heat and humidity of Darwin. A poor, third string club like us that's who. We are relying on a good outcome at the equalisation talks or we are wasting our time. The worst thing is is if the Afl fixed the draw we would be able to stand alone. Sadly Carlton. Look like taking games at the G off us. FFS just let us play home games against the Victorian clubs at the G and we would be fine.

Edited by H_T
edited political off-topic content
  • Like 1

All I can say is a lot of the posts here show why the Club ended up the way it was before Jim Stynes (One Year Today) stepped in.

We only play at the G

We only turn up at the G

Let's not think outside the square

Let's only think of ourselves

God travel outside of Victoria to watch footy, never...it's beyond the pale

As for the conditions, if you have been at the game in Darwin, you would have seen the effort that goes into the player welfare during the game........besides which Misson is getting the players to where they should be fitness wise, it will not have an impact going fwd, in fact it may be beneficial

Edited by Satyriconhome

I like this move and see it as part of a very clear strategy.

Over the past few years, as the Dees left the horror of the Junction Oval behind, MFC administration have gone all-out to put the MFC "brand" in places of population growth and expansion.

City of Casey: a strong strategic move to place our name, jumper and brand into one of the fastest growth corridors in Australia. I live down this way and my son plays footy here and in 2012 I saw more kids in Dees jumpers than I thought I would ever see. The "Read like a Demon" initiative at local schools and library means tons of young kids meet our players and buy into our club. And they are. This is working. Once Casey Fields pulls its finger out and completes its redevelopment this move will show its merit.

Now, we strengthen our ties in Darwin - another place of huge population growth and government investment. And we get a sponsorship out of it. As our players train in the NT and play there more often this will turn into 2 lock-in wins each season. The AFL, MFC and NT have to ensure we play outside the wet season and play in the right time-slot, and if all this occurs this is a huge Coup for the MFC.

I see that many are concerned about it pushing us away from the MCG. We play both home and away games there so I reckon we get a good run on the MCG, all things considered. And I don't give a toss what Carlton are doing. They can become addicted to sniffing money in brown paper bags, or eating chicken wings to celebrate their Messiah - they are irrelevant to me.

The Dees in the NT is a win-win for mine.

• Like 7

This is such an easy decision.

Remove two 'lose money games' against PA and NM (one of which is usually played atr Etihad) - TICK.

Turn them into $1m of pure profit - TICK

Maintain a solid sponsor that will be shovelling in $300k+ every year we are up there - TICK

Ability to market 2 game sponsorships for $60 that should deliver a bump of 3K+ - TICK

What do you people want?

Do you go to the Etihad games? Do you go to the PA games at the G even (we had 14k there a few years ago)?

Do you want to whinge about Tassie, or do you want to 'own' the next Tassie or leave it for PA to realise what they are missing out on in a couple years time?

This is proactive, it is lucrative, and it will turn a weight around our ankles (2 home games against PA, or GWS, or GC, or NM, or Freo et al) into a massive windfall for a club that doesn't say those two words often.

If you are worried about heat, well, I have absolutley nothing to say to you - what a weak effing reason not to do something.

• Like 7

NT Tourism have signed on as a second tier corporate partner sponsor. This deal could prove lucrative and the good work done in the NT by the club over the last few years including the heat training/9-day Darwin camp is somewhat significant.

If we play two games up there, as someone else said, take the game away from Etihad and put it up there. Make sure it's lucrative short term. Then review after a year or two.

• Like 1

A little anecdote on Tassie.

A Hawks friend of mine coincided a holiday for 2 weeks with a Hawks game. The morning of the game it was so cold that he had trouble opening his motel room door as it had iced over - then the rain, hail and sleet started coming down sidewards and did not relent for 7 hours - the game was 500 metres from his motel and he watched the game from his room for fear of frostbite.

He was dreaming of Darwin.

• Like 2

I like this move and see it as part of a very clear strategy.

Over the past few years, as the Dees left the horror of the Junction Oval behind, MFC administration have gone all-out to put the MFC "brand" in places of population growth and expansion.

City of Casey: a strong strategic move to place our name, jumper and brand into one of the fastest growth corridors in Australia. I live down this way and my son plays footy here and in 2012 I saw more kids in Dees jumpers than I thought I would ever see. The "Read like a Demon" initiative at local schools and library means tons of young kids meet our players and buy into our club. And they are. This is working. Once Casey Fields pulls its finger out and completes its redevelopment this move will show its merit.

Now, we strengthen our ties in Darwin - another place of huge population growth and government investment. And we get a sponsorship out of it. As our players train in the NT and play there more often this will turn into 2 lock-in wins each season. The AFL, MFC and NT have to ensure we play outside the wet season and play in the right time-slot, and if all this occurs this is a huge Coup for the MFC.

I see that many are concerned about it pushing us away from the MCG. We play both home and away games there so I reckon we get a good run on the MCG, all things considered. And I don't give a toss what Carlton are doing. They can become addicted to sniffing money in brown paper bags, or eating chicken wings to celebrate their Messiah - they are irrelevant to me.

The Dees in the NT is a win-win for mine.

Five-star summary Maldonboy. It's coming together very nicely, and the Cameron Schwab 'knockers' will be silent in 5 or so years.

Can I once again explain.....

AT That time of year it is NOT frigging HUMID!!!!

At match time, it WILL be cool, as it always is during that time of year. Look up BOM data if you don't believe me.

It is a cop out to make up excuses for the heat, it's the same for both sides, yet our supporters live by this excuse. if anything it probably has more to do with the long flight or the fact that we have been a poor football team who's chances of winning the next week were slim anyway.

It is a similar, if not cooler temperature than a nice spring day in Melbourne during finals, but we don't hear the top 8 sides complaining.

Anyway embrace the Darwin move, until we get better..... There's always a spare bed & a fridge full of amber fluid for any member that wishes to come up and support the club on game day.

Cheers,

HG.

• Like 3

To all the naysayers......I was there last year....stay in place away from City Centre.....walked into the local newsagent......guy asked if we were visiting...told him from Melbourne for footy......said "Dees" supporters....not Melbourne or what?.......the work the club has been doing is working.....but like everything else we are doing now....you have to take the long view.....it's gonna take time

• Like 1

Can I once again explain.....

AT That time of year it is NOT frigging HUMID!!!!

At match time, it WILL be cool, as it always is during that time of year. Look up BOM data if you don't believe me.

It is a cop out to make up excuses for the heat, it's the same for both sides, yet our supporters live by this excuse. if anything it probably has more to do with the long flight or the fact that we have been a poor football team who's chances of winning the next week were slim anyway.

It is a similar, if not cooler temperature than a nice spring day in Melbourne during finals, but we don't hear the top 8 sides complaining.

Anyway embrace the Darwin move, until we get better..... There's always a spare bed & a fridge full of amber fluid for any member that wishes to come up and support the club on game day.

Cheers,

HG.

Gee you could have made the offer of the bed a bit earlier HG, myself and lovely lady can't afford it this year, so have canned our plans after 3 years up there.....don't let the naysayers get to you......it's just the normal group of posters who need the hairshirt at least once a day,