More home games in Darwin coming...

stuie

The Hawks have done well but they would seem to be the exception rather than the rule with teams selling games interstate.

They have done well because they have a strategy in place for multiple games in one area of the country.

Ideally, we should play 3 or 4 games in Casey at a 25k seater stadium with public transport popping up out of nowehere overnight.

But we have got to work with what we have and we have been creative and worked hard to get a deal worth $500k for one game with a further $300k in sponsorship.

That is $800k out of thin air. Another game up there and we can market memberships, and open up another market for sponsorhip.

Other Melbourne clubs have a suburb to work with, we have a stadium. We need Casey and we need the NT.

Ironically, it is deals like this that will keep this the MELBOURNE Football Club.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 3

They have done well because they have a strategy in place for multiple games in one area of the country.

Ideally, we should play 3 or 4 games in Casey at a 25k seater stadium with public transport popping up out of nowehere overnight.

But we have got to work with what we have and we have been creative and worked hard to get a deal worth $500k for one game with a further $300k in sponsorship.

That is $800k out of thin air. Another game up there and we can market memberships, and open up another market for sponsorhip.

Other Melbourne clubs have a suburb to work with, we have a stadium. We need Casey and we need the NT.

Ironically, it is deals like this that will keep this the MELBOURNE Football Club.

All I can say is I hope you're right while not negatively impacting the on-field performance at the same time.

If we struggle getting 25k to a home game at the MCG, I can't see how we're going to get 25k at a home game at Casey. From a financial perspective, the idea of playing games at somewhere like Casey would mean that we don't have to rely on getting the same crowd size to make it profitable. I'd imagine a 25k crowd at the MCG would require a 12k-15k crowd at Casey.

I still refuse to believe the Casey area is the best location for this boutique stadium. As I said in an earlier post, a total revamp of the Junction Oval precinct would be ideal.

If we struggle getting 25k to a home game at the MCG, I can't see how we're going to get 25k at a home game at Casey. From a financial perspective, the idea of playing games at somewhere like Casey would mean that we don't have to rely on getting the same crowd size to make it profitable. I'd imagine a 25k crowd at the MCG would require a 12k-15k crowd at Casey.

I still refuse to believe the Casey area is the best location for this boutique stadium. As I said in an earlier post, a total revamp of the Junction Oval precinct would be ideal.

It would be ideal for us.

We have no fans around the Junction.

We are trying to win over a growth corridor in the South East. Get a couple games there, sell some 2 + 3 Memberships (Casey and G) for $120 and we will turn a great number into members in that area.

I would be very confident of 20k+ for any game in Casey.

It would be ideal for us.

We have no fans around the Junction.

We are trying to win over a growth corridor in the South East. Get a couple games there, sell some 2 + 3 Memberships (Casey and G) for $120 and we will turn a great number into members in that area.

I would be very confident of 20k+ for any game in Casey.

Unless things have changed, I thought it was the AFL that would be funding such a stadium, therefore, they would be taking more in to consideration than what's best for the MFC.

There would be no way a Melbourne vs <<insert interstate team here>> game at Casey would attract 20k+.

In regards to the "no fans around the Junction" comment. That may be true, however, we do have a number of fans in the western suburbs/district that would refuse driving all the way out to Casey. Not only that, I strongly doubt any interstate visitors/members of both MFC and opposition, would fly to Melbourne, then have to travel right out the other side of town, where accommodation is little, it's bloody expensive to get to from the airport, and there's nothing to do out there!

Junction Oval has so much more appeal, and is far more realistic. The AFL can work in partnership with Cricket Vic/Australia, they play domestic games during summer, then as of Round 1, it's all AFL. No AFL club trains there due to cricket having summer priority (unlike the days when we were based there and had no goal posts to use, and couldn't use the centre corridor becuase it was roped off). I'm sure CV/CA would love a ground that can hold around 30k, one that is central, has no public transport/parking issues, and that is within close proximity of major landmarks (ie airport, CBD, MCG). They will get the crowds, and importantly, the AFL will get the crowds.

I can assure you one thing RP, if a stadium was built out at Casey, there would be minimal chance of me flying back to Vic to go and watch a game there. If there was one at Junction, or in a central location, I'd have no hesitation making a weekend of it. Sure, the AFL/MFC aren't going to cater just for me, but I strongly doubt I'd be on my own with that opinion.

There would be no way a Melbourne vs <<insert interstate team here>> game at Casey would attract 20k+.

In regards to the "no fans around the Junction" comment. That may be true, however, we do have a number of fans in the western suburbs/district that would refuse driving all the way out to Casey. Not only that, I strongly doubt any interstate visitors/members of both MFC and opposition, would fly to Melbourne, then have to travel right out the other side of town, where accommodation is little, it's bloody expensive to get to from the airport, and there's nothing to do out there!

It would draw 20k+ once the club fully leverages the work it's doing at Casey, especially if, as rpfc has suggested, the club sells 2+3-game memberships for a discounted price.

And I don't give a fat rat's about interstate opposition members, and I doubt interstate MFC members are going to go to Victoria to see Melbourne play an interstate team.

With regards to opposition supporters: have you ever tried to get to Metricon on the Gold Coast? Bloody infuriating. And I'm sure GC17 reeeaaaallllly care about what MFC members say about their home ground.

20,000 at Casey for an interstate game...Dreaming, will not happen.

The Boutique Stadiums will be Visy Park or Punt Road.

As Richmond Station is 5 steps from the ground. Makes sense.

The station is earmarked for major upgrade soon...

Casey is in the middle of nowhere...yes it is growing, but not enough for a stadium.

• Like 1

How are you not following me - I said 'ideal for us' to have AFL games to accompany our strategy in the Casey region.

It's not an impossible scenario but it is unlikely.

And I don't expect you to come, Billy. Nor do I expect any opposition fans to come (wouldn't that be grand). I would be able to get 10k Dess supporters to travel there and another 10k local Casey people there with one placard and an ad in the leader...

It would draw 20k+ once the club fully leverages the work it's doing at Casey, especially if, as rpfc has suggested, the club sells 2+3-game memberships for a discounted price.

And I don't give a fat rat's about interstate opposition members, and I doubt interstate MFC members are going to go to Victoria to see Melbourne play an interstate team.

With regards to opposition supporters: have you ever tried to get to Metricon on the Gold Coast? Bloody infuriating. And I'm sure GC17 reeeaaaallllly care about what MFC members say about their home ground.

In recent times, I prefer to come back for an interstate game because;

1. Try and support the "poorly attended" games

2. We have a chacne of winning

I think a lot of people are a long way off the mark with their expectations of our involvement with Casey.

In recent times, I prefer to come back for an interstate game because;

1. Try and support the "poorly attended" games

2. We have a chacne of winning

I think a lot of people are a long way off the mark with their expectations of our involvement with Casey.

Another reason billy is you can get any one of thousands of good seats available.

Go to a pies or hawks game and unless you have a reserved seat you are in the bleachers.

• Like 1

I heard the NT Sports, Tourism and just about eveything else Minister intervieved on SEN last night. He said that they were very happy with what Melbourne are doing up in the Territory. The sponsorship that they have committed to at the moment is all they can do until their agreement with the AFL finishes in 2014. They will be getting the NT Brolga logo on the backdrop for MFC interviews and in a few other places. The pre-season camp in Palmerston and the associated footy clinics both then and at the NT games are a big hit. Would not commit to anything, he is a politician, but got the impression that, if we play our cards right, this will grow over time into a very good deal.

• Like 1

I heard the NT Sports, Tourism and just about eveything else Minister intervieved on SEN last night. He said that they were very happy with what Melbourne are doing up in the Territory. The sponsorship that they have committed to at the moment is all they can do until their agreement with the AFL finishes in 2014. They will be getting the NT Brolga logo on the backdrop for MFC interviews and in a few other places. The pre-season camp in Palmerston and the associated footy clinics both then and at the NT games are a big hit. Would not commit to anything, he is a politician, but got the impression that, if we play our cards right, this will grow over time into a very good deal.

I suggest the best the MFC will get this decade JD

How are you not following me - I said 'ideal for us' to have AFL games to accompany our strategy in the Casey region.

It's not an impossible scenario but it is unlikely.

And I don't expect you to come, Billy. Nor do I expect any opposition fans to come (wouldn't that be grand). I would be able to get 10k Dess supporters to travel there and another 10k local Casey people there with one placard and an ad in the leader...

Apologies RP, when you say "an" AFL game - does that mean not necessarily a MFC game?

You may well be able to get 10k Dees supporters, but I'm buggered if you'll get 10k Casey residents. You can drive the bus around and pick them up, but those numbers won't be sustainable. The non-Melbourne supporting Casey residents would rather travel in to the City and watch their own team.

FWIW, Geelong barely get 20k to a game at Kardinia Park against interstate clubs (and Melbourne for that matter). They have a whole town to support them, AND they have been the best team in the past decade. We will not get anywhere near those numbers in our current state, and if we were to improve and play football that brings people to the ground, I know I'd prefer to be playing our home games at the MCG (albeit 2 in the NT).

We will have to disagree about this for many years RP, as there is no conclusion coming in the immediate future.

It is interesting that Richmond has a partnership with Craigeburn too, Saints with Frankston. Now not all are working but you get the idea.