More home games in Darwin coming...

stuie

I don't mind this especially if it can be time slotted appropriately for TV viewing. As well would be a good opportunity to bring in Webjet to offer packages to supporters to make the trek.

Kakadu here we come!

potentially a great get for revenue alone.

doubt we'll be able to drive memberships like the hawks (and to a lesser extent the kangaroos) have, but money on the bottom line is money on the bottom line.

would i rather play gc17 / gws at docklands or tio? tio, everytime.

if anyone ever has the opportunity to go to an afl game up there, take it. it's a brilliant experience of watching footy.

If we can replace our Etihad home game with a Darwin match this is a real winner I reckon.

Sorry guys this is just sad news to me. Playing two games up there knowing how debilitating it is on the players shows how hard it is for us and how desperate we are.

Our financial plight directly impacts our football department in a massive way.

I keep putting money into this club but have to watch us do this ?

And comparing this to hawthorn is not a reality. There isn't the time spent traveling and sapping heat in tassie.

No footy side would ever want to do this unless it was the last straw.

Good for us ? You are dreaming.

• Like 7

Sorry guys this is just sad news to me. Playing two games up there knowing how debilitating it is on the players shows how hard it is for us and how desperate we are.

Our financial plight directly impacts our football department in a massive way.

I keep putting money into this club but have to watch us do this ?

And comparing this to hawthorn is not a reality. There isn't the time spent traveling and sapping heat in tassie.

No footy side would ever want to do this unless it was the last straw.

Good for us ? You are dreaming.

We did go there for a training camp... maybe it's good for us in the long run to play in some tough conditions. Might change when we're a finals chance, but until then it's like a training camp.

Think of it this way, Connolly can now make 2 jokes a year....

Carlton will be stoked. Easier ti muscle in on the 'G and remove us slowly from home.

Sorry 2 games is not good up there. Too hot and just puts us further from the top clubs.

The talks tomorrow are critical.

We can't have our cake and eat it too though WYL... We won't survive on Sunday twilight games at the G.

• Like 2

This bit was interesting:

"The sponsorship deal, believed to be worth $200,000-$300,000 a season, could be worth millions of dollars when combined with home games in the Territory."

It all helps, and the heat and travel is hardly going to have too much of a negative impact on us where we are at the moment... if anything it may harden us up, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 5

The future looks dim doesn't it.

Have you heard Kernahan's ad on Radio?

"The blues want to come home to the 'G"

Haven't heard the ad. It's a sucky time in our history to follow the Dees hey mate. Hopefully it will unite us as a club and serve us well for the future.

Carlton will be stoked. Easier ti muscle in on the 'G and remove us slowly from home.

Sorry 2 games is not good up there. Too hot and just puts us further from the top clubs.

The talks tomorrow are critical.

The sides we play in Darwin will be the sides we generally play at Etihad. Should be a priority to have both games well out of the wet season and for the AFL to recognise our role in taking footy to the NT to ensure that an extra game in NT is one less game at Etihad and not one less game at the G.

The conditions for the first game we played in Darwin in late May were incredibly oppressive. Subsequent games have been played in July when the conditions are much more friendly. I changed into jeans after the game this year. It was a tad chilly.

The sides we play in Darwin will be the sides we generally play at Etihad. Should be a priority to have both games well out of the wet season and for the AFL to recognise our role in taking footy to the NT to ensure that an extra game in NT is one less game at Etihad and not one less game at the G.

The conditions for the first game we played in Darwin in late May were incredibly oppressive. Subsequent games have been played in July when the conditions are much more friendly. I changed into jeans after the game this year. It was a tad chilly.

fair points but i don't like big picture.

But once again it all comes back to winning.

This is just so stupid!!!!!

Why didn't we snap up Hobart when we had the chance. I don't care if the money is less because 2 games in Hobart gives us a footy loving audience and a viable destination that is easy enough for the players.

Darwin will literally cook our players. It's not only a long travelling distance but the games up there leave the players stuffed for the next week.

Plus we keep having Port as the away team which really gives them a leg up more than anything and makes it harder to win.

How many potential members and what kind of growth market of AFL fans are we looking at in Darwin. I am less than convinced.

I'd rather us play in Ballarat or Bendigo where we might get some members (or at least make current ones happy) and if we fill the stands and get a good stadium deal whilst we wont get 500 garaunteed we will still get a lot more than a melbourne home game against Freo or GWS or GCS.

• Like 2

Why didn't we snap up Hobart when we had the chance. I don't care if the money is less because 2 games in Hobart gives us a footy loving audience and a viable destination that is easy enough for the players.

Darwin will literally cook our players. It's not only a long travelling distance but the games up there leave the players stuffed for the next week.

Plus we keep having Port as the away team which really gives them a leg up more than anything and makes it harder to win.

How many potential members and what kind of growth market of AFL fans are we looking at in Darwin. I am less than convinced.

I'd rather us play in Ballarat or Bendigo where we might get some members (or at least make current ones happy) and if we fill the stands and get a good stadium deal whilst we wont get 500 garaunteed we will still get a lot more than a melbourne home game against Freo or GWS or GCS.

As someone else mentioned, depending on when the games are played, it does not necessarily have to be as hot as many seem to think. As far as distance goes and Port Adelaide having some sort of advantage, it is just 700km difference if traveling from Adelaide or Melbourne... hardly a leg up and hardly a climate that will suit them better than us.

And what is that comment about "a footy loving audience"??? Are you saying they don't love their footy in Darwin? Give me a break.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought West Coast and Freemantle travel a lot more than us throughout a season, yet it hasn't really affected their chances/performances.

• Like 2

I don't mind this especially if it can be time slotted appropriately for TV viewing. As well would be a good opportunity to bring in Webjet to offer packages to supporters to make the trek.

I don't mind, if we have 2 games up there, just as long as they're back to back games from Mid July,,, more than a week apart. as I've said for the last 2 years. (great time to take a break)...... & its the Vic School Hol's.. (Term 3: 15 July to 20 September)

IF we play the 1st game as a TV game as a Thursday night fixture, then the next game 9 days later,,, as a Saturday Night TV game... this would allow us to recover between games..

And IMO, we would need to take our Bye the following Rnd, coming back to Melbourne. (or at least a long break between games)

This would be a great way to get a Social club up & running somewhere SthEast of Melbourne. (Richmond)...

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

Ever been to Darwin in the Dry Season? Games in the Dry Season months like July are played in much more less draining conditions than you might think.

So you'd rather us play in Ballarat or Bendigo? Neither city has AFL standard stadiums and won't have any time soon.

The AFL takes great pride in the fact that games are played in every State and Territory and the role the game plays in employing and engaging with indigenous Australians. By playing the games in the NT and by having our pre season camp there the MFC is in part vitally assisting the AFL in both aspects. We do need to work with the AFL to ensure that this is recognised and that the NT games mean less games at Etihad.

• Like 1

People here have been complaining about not picking up more sponsors - but when we land a nice deal that could build over the longer term to be worth quite a substantial amount, plus bring in a few new members and supporters, there are plenty, it seems, ready to criticise.

• Like 4

The future looks dim doesn't it.

Have you heard Kernahan's ad on Radio?

"The blues want to come home to the 'G"

If they want to go home they can head back to Princess Park...or set up a new ground in Lygon Street.

...or maybe Kernahan can head back to Glenelg and takeover that ground.

Going to Darwin? Getting further away from the G each year. The money we gain from this moon probe is trifling compared to the sponsorships and fixturing advantages of the 'clubs AFL house is going to keep.

moon probe is exactly what this is. well said. this is so amateurish and a detriment to the team having to deal with those conditions. Really, how many die hard MFC members are goingto be produced from two games in darwin. meanwhile the blues are sneaking in to the G behind us. really small minded pathetic marketing. Melbourne as a brand must be pushed in VICTORIA. there are more people living on teh monington peninsula than living in the entire northern territory. concentrate on making the MFC brand an icon in melbourne. to do that means winning games at the MCG and getting on the BACK page of the papers. Not some experimental clash against Port, 3000km away. Rookie mistake really

• Like 1

moon probe is exactly what this is. well said. this is so amateurish and a detriment to the team having to deal with those conditions. Really, how many die hard MFC members are goingto be produced from two games in darwin. meanwhile the blues are sneaking in to the G behind us. really small minded pathetic marketing. Melbourne as a brand must be pushed in VICTORIA. there are more people living on teh monington peninsula than living in the entire northern territory. concentrate on making the MFC brand an icon in melbourne. to do that means winning games at the MCG and getting on the BACK page of the papers. Not some experimental clash against Port, 3000km away. Rookie mistake really

Negative, we need more members and they exist outside of Victoria. Good move, just ditch that Etihad home game and we're sweet. I remember when we were selling games to Brisbane and other such rubbish. Let's invest in the NT and see what happens, could be a Hawthorn type result (That comes with a flag!!)

• Like 1