The Robbie Flower Education Thread

Bluey's Dad

Thanks guys!

That video was amazing, he's nothing like the typical 80's rough and tumble footy player my dad is always going on about. Looks like he would fit right in at elite level today. His evasiveness is extraordinary.

I had no idea he was so small though. I wish I'd been old enough to see him play live.

Thanks again fellas, much appreciated :)

Thanks guys!

That video was amazing, he's nothing like the typical 80's rough and tumble footy player my dad is always going on about. Looks like he would fit right in at elite level today. His evasiveness is extraordinary.

I had no idea he was so small though. I wish I'd been old enough to see him play live.

Thanks again fellas, much appreciated :)

about 6'-0" or 5'-11" ish. described as 'pound for pound', 'as good a footballer of any Era'.

He tore strips of the brownlow medalist Ross Glendinning on a number of occasions...

Played above his weight, of course, but also played key position on occasions. Played on Blight, but it didn't workout that day.

Barassi took him & rounded his game & had him share the ball a bit more bringing other players into the game constantly. Barassi got him to play off halfback flank much to the shagrin of supporters & also eventually went into a ruck rover type game on occasion.

A Gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Flower

Edited by dee-luded

Put really simply, if it wasn't for Robbie, many of us who grew up in the late seventies and early eighties, may not have remained Melbourne fans. We could take very little pride in most things red and blue back then but we could be proud of Robbie.

• Like 3

It was interesting reading the old thread from 2005/6 about Robbie. My own contribution was that when he had the ball it seemed as if time froze and that's still my lasting memory of this incredibly skilled footballer. When he went for a mark it seemed as if he rose from the pack in slow motion coolly and calmly taking grasp of the football - perfectly. All the while, others around him would move frenetically in their attempt to prevent him from getting the football. Then he was away, halfway down the field leaving the mere football mortals in his wake. He was sheer genius.

• Like 1

My favorite Flower memory: in a state game (can't remember if it was SA or WA) ... the Vics were down badly at half time and the coach put Robbie at CHF for the second half! Where he kicked two or three and swung the game for the Vics. Go Robbie!!!!

One day at the 'G', I was with my usual Saints supporters @ the saints v Dees game.

Flower on the members wing, was having a quiet game against Joffa Cunningham. I/2 time they went in seems like 10 goals down.

The 2nd half Flower got into it & tore strips off Cunningham & half the Stkilda side...

He won the game virtually off his own boot... he owned the Saints... & they're supporters left the game crest fallen again.

Having only been born just before the end of his playing career, I too don't know much about him other that what my dad used to say about him as we went to the footy as a kid. Looking at the video, its amazing how small he was... but i can see exactly what everyone is talking about by saying he simply glided along. His weaving and bouncing seems effortless....

Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to hopefully seeing someone with such skill again at the MFC in my lifetime.

He was named on a wing in the Herald Sun's best team of the decade in the 1970's and the 1980's. Imo he's the greatest wingman of all time. He's without question the greatest goal kicking wingman of all time. One year he kicked 40 goals from a wing. When representing Victoria he was often BOG and if not invariably in the bests and this included players of the calibre of Matthews, Madden, Ablett, Doull, etc.

He was one touch - didn't fumble, he had a magnificent baulk, he was one of the best marking midfielders I've seen, he had pace, he had the most amazing footy brain that summed up difficult situations perfectly every time, he had grace, he had balance, he bounced the ball left handed running down the wing when he was a right foot kick, he was right up there as one of the best tacklers I've seen despite his slender frame, he had courage in the air, he was selfless and loyal. He had class off the field and on. He's the only player that has ever tugged at my emotions.

He was the reason I went to the footy.

• Like 5

Two memories stand out for me. One was watching Robbie rip down the southern wing to the city end after a centre bounce, and kick a monster goal on his left foot from about 60 metres. He did that sort of thing so often that you only really noticed when he occasionally missed.

The other was our only win in 1981, Barassi's first year as coach. We had high hopes that year, with the prodigal son returning at last, and the first thing he did was to make Robbie captain. We were rubbish for most of year, with our only win coming against the Dogs, with Robbie kicking the winning goal after a pack mark in the goal square. Robbie had no right to get anywhere near the ball, especially given this was a time when immobile hulks like Mark Jackson played at full forward.

He was built like Cale Morton's shadow, but had Nathan Jones's work ethic, Jordie McKenzie's guts, and better skills than anyone in the league. How he didn't win three Brownlows and six Blueys is beyond me ...

• Like 1

Two memories stand out for me. One was watching Robbie rip down the southern wing to the city end after a centre bounce, and kick a monster goal on his left foot from about 60 metres. He did that sort of thing so often that you only really noticed when he occasionally missed.

The other was our only win in 1981, Barassi's first year as coach. We had high hopes that year, with the prodigal son returning at last, and the first thing he did was to make Robbie captain. We were rubbish for most of year, with our only win coming against the Dogs, with Robbie kicking the winning goal after a pack mark in the goal square. Robbie had no right to get anywhere near the ball, especially given this was a time when immobile hulks like Mark Jackson played at full forward.

He was built like Cale Morton's shadow, but had Nathan Jones's work ethic, Jordie McKenzie's guts, and better skills than anyone in the league. How he didn't win three Brownlows and six Blueys is beyond me ...

I saw the great Robbie Flower ahead of most. I was a teacher at Cheltenham High and coach of the senior footy team. We played a game against Murrumbeena High and lost by 7 goals. We were destroyed by a very skinny kid wearing glasses who kicked about 8 goals against us playing at CHF. I congratulated him after the game and asked his name. "Robert Flower " he replied shyly. I said," I reckon you could play league(VFL/AFL) football one day". I certainly got this one right didn't I? What a brilliant player he was. When I shifted to live in Perth I was at an Interstate game WA v Vic at Subi and my friend, a West Australian, remarked to me, "Naturally, I want a WA win, but I really came along to see Robbie Flower play." I guess that sums up the brilliant Robbie Flower.

• Like 7

I for one will never forgive Mathews and Dipper for their despicable effort in that final. I suppose its testament to how good our Robbie was that such low acts were prescribed.

Flower was simply the most sublime player in any jumper I've ever had the pleasure and good fortune to watch.

I don't think this would be a stretch by any to suggest if to poll players of his era from all other teams and ask but one question. Who was the hardest/most impressive player you ever played on ? I would practically guarantee one name will be on the top of the list ; Robert Flower

This always manages to choke me up & moisten the eyes.

There was Flower & then there were none. Turner, Hawkins, Wood, Schimma, Greig, all greats, even Bartlett, all without a candle to hold.

I well remember Robbie playing in the back pocket against KB and giving him an absolute bath.

Bartlett had to resort to holding and scragging to stop him getting near the ball.

And that game against Richmond where he marked just about every kick out from full back-wow, I remember it well!

Martin Flanagan wrote a terrific article in the Age about Robbie, if someone could find it and post it?

I saw Robbie at the 'G recently, he looked great!

• Like 1

I saw Robbie play his first game for the MFC as a 10 year old in 1973....My dad said very early in the game

"Watch the kid wearing no. 2, he is going to be good"

He wasn't wrong i can tell you...

I knew he was good, but didn't realise he played his first game when he was ten years old!

Actually, my cousin, who played with the ammos, tried out with the MFC the same day Robbie Flower did. This would have been early 1970s. In those days they played actual games (practice matches, if you like) to see who was worth pursuing. My cousin played the whole game. Robbie, however, only played 10 minutes, then they took him off. They realised straight away they had a gem and promoted him on the spot to the under-19s squad.

• Like 1

I for one will never forgive Mathews and Dipper for their despicable effort in that final. I suppose its testament to how good our Robbie was that such low acts were prescribed.

Flower was simply the most sublime player in any jumper I've ever had the pleasure and good fortune to watch.

I don't think this would be a stretch by any to suggest if to poll players of his era from all other teams and ask but one question. Who was the hardest/most impressive player you ever played on ? I would practically guarantee one name will be on the top of the list ; Robert Flower

As in Leigh Matthews? He had well and truly retired by that stage.

As in Leigh Matthews? He had well and truly retired by that stage.

youre correct..Got my games mucked up :wacko:

I was fortunate enough to follow his whole career. I moved down to Melbourne and started go go to games every week in 1973 and saw his first game. I was there for his last game and saw a large amount of them all the way through.

During the '87 finals series I went down to training at Junction Oval most of the weeks and in those days you could go into the rooms after training. I was staggered to see him with his top off. He was literally skin and bone. He looked like someone with really bad anorexia. There was absolutely no bulk to his body at all, it was all skin and all his bones were sticking out. I couldn't believe that was the body I had watched all those years playing in one of the toughest most brutal era's and never flinching in a contest.

He was amongst a couple of the most beautiful, balanced, fluid athletes I have seen, little own a footballer. It was very interesting to watch how he protected himself. For instance if he was on the wing going up for a mark invariably he would stick his legs out horizontally in front of him with his boot studs sticking out which meant players couldnt' get to him without getting a body full of studs. He had an uncanny ability to go flat out into contests but at the same time had the skill to have techniques to protect himself. Keith Greig was the only other player with the same level of grace but he played in a top team and consequently won two Brownlows. Robbie was a much more complete and effective player and it makes you wonder what Awards he would have won in a good team.

He was a joy to watch in traffic, he had an unmatched ability to avoid a tackle and side step players with such grace it was like watching a dancer. Once he took off I never remember him being run down.

I'll never forget his battles with David Rhys Jones on the wing at the G over the years. He was such a dirty player and it was the closest you'd ever see Robbie to losing it. But only after being constantly punched, kicked etc behind play.

I've simply never seen another player like him.

• Like 3

Personally Chuck Norris doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Robbie. Chuck might qualify as Robbie's boot studder, but he'd have to wash his hands first before touching Robbie's boots. Robbie and all of his acts of bravery make me very proud to be Australian.

Thanks HT for the video am going to go online and see if there is a DVD I can buy.

I used to go to the football during our less than glorious days in the mid to late 1970s and 1980s just to watch Robbie play. It didn't matter so much when we lost having marvelled at his performance each week.

Thrashing David Palm who was on him when he took dozens of marks from kick-ins in a game against Richard is memorable.

I was one of thousands who would sit in the MFC members red seats area in awe of our champion.

Many of us would get there to see at least half of the reserves - to spot the 'talent' that we hoped was emerging.

One day when I arrived a little bloke who was a regular, was bawling his eyes out. His mum asked him what was wrong.

His answer was 'Robbie's not out there playing.'

This was funny, as it was still the reserves game and I doubt that Robbie would have played many of those.

really wish i could've seen this guy play. Looks like he was an awesome player

I wish there was more footage of him to show you. In that clip, you'll see him blind turn. He did that more often than most footballers going around in his day. Exquisite and an uncanny knack of getting around opponents with seemingly more time.

What the film footage (as wonderful as it is) cannot convey is the whole-ground impact he had. When he got the ball, or was moving to where he would get it, even as the roar went up your eyes would leap 80 metres down the ground. You didn't want to miss a thing he did, but no way would you get any sense of it if you just watched him. Forwards (Biffin especially) would take off, defenders must've felt panic, everyone changed gear in the instant and the whole game would split open. To see this stuff is what TV cannot give you, and it is the best.

Cameras follow the player with the ball, but the really great players instantly impact half the ground when they take possession - and while everything suddenly moves faster, at the same time they seem to have all the time in the world. Diesel Williams was slow and rooted to the spot in the centre, but he opened the game dramatically with his lightning-fast and creative handballing. The original "distributor" of the ball (as far as I ever saw) was Polly Farmer - he fired the ball out by hand to runners 15 metres away and cut the game open every time. But Robbie was without question the most spectacular I ever saw in his capacity to regularly make 80 metre moves - and he did it with such lightness and pace.

As extraordinary as anything about him was the degree of improbability of him as a footballer. To look at him or listen to him speak, he was so mild and inoffensive and slight, you just could not imagine him out there with the tough guys. He was the ultimate proof that our game is more than just numbers - it has at its very pinnacle players who defy all the rules and use imagination, vision, desire and almost certainly a sixth sense to transcend the great struggle. It is its ability to showcase such rare, almost mystical capability that for me makes football the greatest sport I know. Beyond the slog and the drills and the set-plays, the gym work and the game-plans and all that stuff lies a zone that is pure art - it is both poetic in its slowing/intensifying of time, and breathtaking - the world of Daicos and Ablett Snr and unlikeliest-looking of the lot, Robbie Flower.

Jack Dyer once commented that Robbie Flower knew by instinct exactly where everything around him was, even what was behind him; he said this capacity had been identified in gridiron players, where it was reckoned there might be half a dozen players at the most who has any sense of it - and watching Robbie Flower, Jack Dyer realised what it was the Americans had been telling him.

Tiger Crosswell once said that if you ever beat Robbie Flower you might as well hang up your boots - there would be nothing left to achieve in football.

To watch him play - nothing has ever compared. Now and then you see something that reminds you a little of it...

Edited by robbiefrom13
  • Like 8

The Only Melbourne player I can remember since the 70's, who can lay a candle to Robby as coming close was Schwarta in full flight. But he was sadly cut down before his prime.

Flower was that good.

Lockett, Blight, Flower, Doull, Matthews, Brereton, GAblettsnr, Carey, TWatson, Hird, Bradley, WJohnston, DieselWilliams, Hart...

At the very TOP...