Jurrah to Port?

Jordie_tackles

Liam Jurrah ticks all boxes but Port Adelaide set to pass on him

Given that the article alludes to speculation that Liam turned up late to one training session, the reference in the headline to ticking all the boxes is somewhat misleading.

I still regard Liam as a Demon and strongly believe he will come out of his March trial in the NT a free man in terms of penalty but not unscathed as a result of his experience. I consider that Port Adelaide would be mad therefore to take him on without seeing him go through a season at SANFL level beforehand.

There's so much healing needed above and beyond the outcome of the court hearing and some time out of the limelight might be the order of the day for him and the members of his community.

I wish them well.

• Like 5

I like many was annoyed in the way LJ left, i did think he appeared ungrateful for the assistance Melbourne had given him, walking out did not seem to be the act of a mature person, but more of a spoilt child. Melbourne had given LJ a lot of assistance so would have probably helped LJ get a trade, the compensation probably would not have been great and may have been so low that we would not have used it but I believe MFC would have done the best by LJ. The fact that LJ walked out on us, must also play into the minds of the Port Adelaide list managers, I am sure if he was a trade there would be no arguments about taking him, his walkout has hurt him big time. One wonders if before he walked out what had Port officials or others said to him. Did he think this was just a matter of turning up and getting picked up.

His football career and essentially his life are now on the line, not getting picked by Port will put him back at least a year, court trial may finish him forever, not just because there is a chance that he maybe found guilty and need to serve time but that he may further lose his way and lose even what fitness and desire to play at the elite level.

Adrian McAdam Mach II. Will not play AFL again.

I think that's the case. Port would have to be aware of the issues Melbourne had with Jurrah quite apart from the machete incident that landed him in the mess.

Whilst injured, going off to Alice Springs without informing the club

Drinking in Alice Springs while undergoing rehab

Returning and speaking on a television programme without first clearing it with the club

The whole business about not wanting to return to play coming back from injury after apparently being declared fit

The way he walked out on the club

Not exactly a team player and too lacking in discipline.

I think that's the case. Port would have to be aware of the issues Melbourne had with Jurrah quite apart from the machete incident that landed him in the mess.Whilst injured, going off to Alice Springs without informing the clubDrinking in Alice Springs while undergoing rehabReturning and speaking on a television programme without first clearing it with the clubThe whole business about not wanting to return to play coming back from injury after apparently being declared fitThe way he walked out on the clubNot exactly a team player and too lacking in discipline.

Great environment to sell a book though....

Guest Fletch

Great environment to sell a book though....

Exploitative and counter-productive that book was. No-one will convince me otherwise.

Exploitative and counter-productive that book was. No-one will convince me otherwise.

i agree. His career plummetted after it was published.

The book came out way too early, and for that reason i have not read it. I love biographies but you need to do a lot before publishing.

Liam's book is at about...Chapter 8..."My time at Port Adelaide"

yeah probably better off not writing somebody's life story when they are in their early 20's.. just in case the person goes on to become an attempted axe murderer who craps all over the club that gave him his shot

Just when you think you've seen all the tasteless, insensitive posts ...

All credit to Port Adelaide for putting in place a great program to support Liam:

• Port Adelaide plans to recruit Jurrah to play in its SANFL team during 2013
  • Port Adelaide, the AFL and the AFL Players’ Association will work together to provide additional support to assist Jurrah as he confronts off-field issues, including his court case in the Northern Territory
  • Jurrah will be given the opportunity to work with Power Community Ltd, the community development arm of the Port Adelaide Football Club
  • Port Adelaide will provide all possible assistance to help Jurrah’s rehabilitation from injury
  • Port Adelaide is committed to again assessing Jurrah’s suitability for selection ahead of the 2014 AFL season

They could have easily told him that they are not interested and to go somewhere else.

Rudeboy aka Bruce Hearn MacKinnon would do nothing that was exploitative or counterproductive for Liam. He has at all times acted in Liam's best interest not to mention our club's despite being a lifelong Collingwood supporter.

I have known him on and off for 30 years and in that time all he has ever done is tried to help others.

We need more people like Bruce (and his wife) helping young men find their way in AFL and less ill informed sniping from the sidelines.

Edited by Robbie57
  • Like 2

Personally I just don't think Jurrah can cope mentally in a professional football environment,

it's too far out of his norm.

Obviously he can play football - and really well - as we've all seen.

But... He is too much of an individual, too selfish for what we are building at the moment.

Our culture will improve without Liam Jurrah's hovelling around the sidelines expecting some sort of special

treatment because they are a unique talent - those days, thankfully, are gone.

All credit to Port Adelaide for putting in place a great program to support Liam:

• Port Adelaide plans to recruit Jurrah to play in its SANFL team during 2013
  • Port Adelaide, the AFL and the AFL Players’ Association will work together to provide additional support to assist Jurrah as he confronts off-field issues, including his court case in the Northern Territory
  • Jurrah will be given the opportunity to work with Power Community Ltd, the community development arm of the Port Adelaide Football Club
  • Port Adelaide will provide all possible assistance to help Jurrah’s rehabilitation from injury
  • Port Adelaide is committed to again assessing Jurrah’s suitability for selection ahead of the 2014 AFL season

They could have easily told him that they are not interested and to go somewhere else.

Another injury? What's wrong with him now?

Rudeboy aka Bruce Hearn MacKinnon would do nothing that was exploitative or counterproductive for Liam. He has at all times acted in Liam's best interest not to mention our club's despite being a lifelong Collingwood supporter.

I have known him on and off for 30 years and in that time all he has ever done is tried to help others.

We need more people like Bruce (and his wife) helping young men find their way in AFL and less ill informed sniping from the sidelines.

Bruce may be a great bloke, i hope he is but the timing of hi publication of that book did no favors for Liam's football career.

A lesson learnt by all i hope.

But... He is too much of an individual, too selfish for what we are building at the moment.

Our culture will improve without Liam Jurrah's hovelling around the sidelines expecting some sort of special

treatment because they are a unique talent - those days, thankfully, are gone.

Opinion & Conjecture.

The reality is Liam, just like the rest of our list probably hadn't experienced a truly professional environment before the current FD came into being. Did he fail to adapt? He's not Robinson Crusoe, nor was he responsible, except for his own actions.

Nobody can question Bruce's motivation for the book i.e. to tell the narrative of Liam's journey from the desert outback to the big city. It was never intended to be purely a football story but it went belly up because of the shocking circumstances that have enveloped his community and, in any event, nobody ever claimed he was anything but human.

As for Curry's post, it's lacking any sensitivity but we do live in a democracy and everybody has a right to say things that make themselves look stupid.

• Like 4

Anyone think he's a genuine chance of going to the big house for a year or so?

What an absolutely silly premature question: none of us have seen the evidence that will be presented in court so how could anyone comment with anything other than guesswork what will transpire.

My sentiments to Mr Bean. I have no bad feelings toward LJ, but i was actually hurt when he just walked. The MFC is a better place for the LJ experience, it is just sad he HAD to go back home that weekend. If he had stayed south the no. 24 may still be on the list.

If he goes to the big house he will rue that moment.

Regardless of the court findings, Liam did not "do the right thing" by MFC who supported him through his development into AFL and his injuries.

What an absolutely silly premature question: none of us have seen the evidence that will be presented in court so how could anyone comment with anything other than guesswork what will transpire.Regardless of the court findings, Liam did not "do the right thing" by MFC who supported him through his development into AFL and his injuries.

no but the MFC is a better place for venturing up north to LJ's home deep in the dead heart. That i am glad of.

Guest Fletch

Okay, let's be more generous. He was extraordinarily naive to write a book on a kid whose journey in football (and in life) has only just begun. It always had the potential given Jurrah's background to blow up in his face and ... lo and behold, it did.

The shoddy manner of his charge's departure from the Demons only rubbed salt into the wounds and suggests he might like to assess his boigraphical subjects more carefully before getting into bed with them.

Okay, let's be more generous. He was extraordinarily naive to write a book on a kid whose journey in football (and in life) has only just begun. It always had the potential given Jurrah's background to blow up in his face and ... lo and behold, it did.

The shoddy manner of his charge's departure from the Demons only rubbed salt into the wounds and suggests he might like to assess his boigraphical subjects more carefully before getting into bed with them.

you are calling this "more generous"? Mindboggling...

As for Curry's post, it's lacking any sensitivity but we do live in a democracy and everybody has a right to say things that make themselves look stupid.

How dare you? Statements like that do not you make come across as some enlightened being. It is people like yourself that need to think about what they are saying and whether or not it makes any sense whatsoever - if a non-indigenous player did what Liam has done (both in the NT incident itself and his subsequent treatment of us as a club) there would be unbridled, universal condemnation of said hypothetical player. However, due to this player's racial background, we are for some reason expected to either withhold comment or (staggeringly) actually lend our support to the individual. You act as if this attitude is a show of "sensitivity".. isn't racial harmony supposed to be about equality? How is treating an indigenous person completely differently to everyone else an act of equality? What favours do you think we do the aboriginal community as a whole with this type of treatment? Now I expect to be painted as a klansman, despite the fact I have not said an offensive, or inaccurate word... because we live in a society that would rather have people getting away with violent crimes and blatent backstabbing of organisations that have supported them so energetically, because at the drop of a hat anyone who implies otherwise is labelled a racist by types like yourself.

Since you seem perfectly comfortable with calling me 'stupid' for my comment, how about providing an indication of your gift of wisdom by answering a few questions? How does turning a blind eye to issues surrounding indigenous people (or any other culture for that matter) help anyone? Can you explain to me how being of an indigenous background serves as a 'free pass' for objectionable behaviour? If a non-indigenous person commits a violent crime, are they not judged for their actions regardless of what experiences and values they may have been exposed to in their upbringing? Can you point me in the direction of any other cases of domestic violence involving lethal weapons that you declare the perpetrator deserves our 'sensitivity'? Can you tell me why the likes of Scully and McLean are regularly flogged on here for the dishonourable way they have treated our club, but to apply the same to Jurrah is 'insensitive'? Why is any statement that could in any way be described as having a negative connotation towards a certain group, regardless of the truth behind it, howled down as hate-speech by people like yourself? Why are we even discussing his background, my 'stupid' post did not mention it - it only condemned a man for his actions. You took the discussion into racial areas with your 'sensitivity' garbage. I would like to see how 'sensitive' you would be if you or one of your loved ones was the victim of a machete attack.