WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - DEAN KENT

Whispering_Jack

I've got a very large grin across my face after watching his highlights ... first thoughts are he plays like a cross between Matt suckling and Lewis Jetta.

He just left so many opponents reaching at thin air behind him, and then loads up that cannon of a left boot and sends like ball soaring. At one stage i thought he was going to do a Woewoedin length of the field goal...very exciting pick up by the dees and could well render Scullygate a moot-point.

Guest José Mourinho

Aggressive and constantly used his pace to take the game on in the footage on MFC.com.

Loved that highlights package myself.

Hard at it, aggressive, contested ball-winning, nippy, agile, great kick, great spatial awareness.

Has me wondering if he has much of a defensive side to his game, but we can drill that into him.

• Like 2

Pretty impressive highlights package but have to take with a grain of salt as obviously they are his best video clips. Having said that he did remind me a bit of watching ollie wines highlights package looks tough, great left boot and loves to take the game on. Time will tell but think we may have found something here

It's pretty obvious that Neeld is building a team of hard at it strong bodied men. With a few skilled speedsters on the outside, ala Blease, Barry, Toumpas and again some big bodied power forwards.

We is gonna be some sort of unit!

Sometimes you get a feeling about a player and I think this kid will be good, he reminds me of Tommy Mac when he came over no, nonsense, tough and gets on with the job. I reckon we've got a little gem here.

From Northam, so a country lad too

Sometimes you get a feeling about a player and I think this kid will be good, he reminds me of Tommy Mac when he came over no, nonsense, tough and gets on with the job. I reckon we've got a little gem here.

The last time I got that feeling about a player from watching a highlight package it involved a boy from Dodges Ferry.

• Like 4

Another surprise for the Dees, thought the WA sides would take him, not a stand out but you see him around it a bit and at end of the game how often he has had it.

From an inside source at the Dees (Perth) "lacks discipline, but knows how to play and is a accumulator."

I think Neeld & Misson will sort out any discipline problems,

Welcome aboard Dean I remember your grandmother ringing up 6PR singing your praises. Once a demon always a demon

• Like 1

Dean Kent missed selection for the WA Under 18s this year but two years earlier, he was a member of his state's Under 16 team and would almost certainly have come into contact with Jack Viney who represented SA back in those days.

Here's the result from the opening game of that carnival:-

Western Australia 15.11 (101) def Vic Country 8.9 (57)

Goals

WA: Alex Riiel 4, Martin Geraghty 3, Dayle Garlett 2, Corey Chalmers 2, Chris Warrell, Dean Kent, Marco Paparone, Chris Yarren

Vic Country: Lachie Whitfield 2, Corie Intveen, Jake Stringer, Brad Crouch, Oliver Wines, Jason Pongracic, Jayden Gee

Best

WA: Brendon Lim, Sean Lynch, Chris Yarren, Mason Shaw, Corey Chalmers, Martin Geraghty, Brant Colledge, Dean Kent, Alex Riiel

Vic Country: Nathan Wright, Lachie Whitfield, Jason Pongracic, Brad Crouch, Billy Rolfe, Brody Mahoney

Watched that footage again, he looks very solid through the hips. I know he was playing against boys but looked a lot more solid in the thighs.

As opposed to certain past players who were built like my 11 year old cousin...

• Like 1

There's a bit of Tommy Mac here; prepared to travel huge distances to get to training and games and that shows a dedication that makes you feel comfortable that he'll do whatever he can to succeed.

Love this bit too.

“Melbourne gave me the opportunity, so I’ll be keen to stick around and give them 100 per cent.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/151754/default.aspx

• Like 2

I mean no disrespect to Dean Kent, or any of our draftees. However history tells us that not many players emerge outside of the mid second round of a National Draft.

This doesn't mean some haven't, and doesn't mean that Kent won't. However, I'm just being a bit reserved about the excitement of this.

But I surely do hope he does emerge to be something great.

I mean no disrespect to Dean Kent, or any of our draftees. However history tells us that not many players emerge outside of the mid second round of a National Draft.

Boyd © was a rookie, as was James McDonald ©, Brett Kirk ©, Brad Sewell, Mark Johnson (B&F/flag), Andrew Carrazzo, Nathan Foley, Clinton Young, Matt Priddis, Michael Barlow, Ben Howlett...

I only included Rookie mids, but obviously I could have mentioned Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Mumford, or players like Toovey, Maxwell ©, Dalhaus, Steven Milne, etc. etc.

Then there are 40+ picks like (mids only):

Andrew Swallow (C - 43), Dom Cassisi (C - 50), Daniel Cross (56), Adam Selwood (53), Dane Swan (58), Kade Simpson (45), Rory Sloane (44).

That said, in the main you are correct. Although, as you'd agree, there are a number of players picked from no. 40 in the ND right through to the RD that have become fine players and many who ultimately captained their club.

I like what I've briefly seen of Kent (48). Big arse, very strong core, really good speed, hard at it, and excellent left foot kick. There's just something about the big Kent that I like. And it's no mean feat to be named best player in the WAFL under 18 colts.

I just have a feeling about this guy.

• Like 4

May I just say I am just as excited about this kid as I am with Jimmy Toumpas. Strange I know, it's probably the unknown factor about him.

I like his style of play and the concept of the large amount of travel he had to do. I like how he missed out on the WA state team due to a travel bug and wondering if he made that side would he of got to us at pick 48... I doubt it. I am also curious how he will develop in a full time professional environment, on the basis that Toumpas and Viney develop as predicted I hope this guy pulls a Tom McDonald, Tom Rockliff (initially rookie) or Dane Swan and come out of no where as a late draft pick. I have sat on these thoughts for a couple days now, trying to take any emotions out of it and think of it from a logical perspective, and YES I think he is a fantastic selection in regards to where we got him.

• Like 1

Boyd © was a rookie, as was James McDonald ©, Brett Kirk ©, Brad Sewell, Mark Johnson (B&F/flag), Andrew Carrazzo, Nathan Foley, Clinton Young, Matt Priddis, Michael Barlow, Ben Howlett...

I only included Rookie mids, but obviously I could have mentioned Sandilands, Cox, Jolly, Mumford, or players like Toovey, Maxwell ©, Dalhaus, Steven Milne, etc. etc.

Then there are 40+ picks like (mids only):

Andrew Swallow (C - 43), Dom Cassisi (C - 50), Daniel Cross (56), Adam Selwood (53), Dane Swan (58), Kade Simpson (45), Rory Sloane (44).

That said, in the main you are correct. Although, as you'd agree, there are a number of players picked from no. 40 in the ND right through to the RD that have become fine players and many who ultimately captained their club.

I like what I've briefly seen of Kent (48). Big arse, very strong core, really good speed, hard at it, and excellent left foot kick. There's just something about the big Kent that I like. And it's no mean feat to be named best player in the WAFL under 18 colts.

I just have a feeling about this guy.

minor point BH but the wafl colts are U19.

All the more credit to kent

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.