Has the MFC shot itself in the foot?

Demonsterative

I have read on this forum countless times that the club needed a harder edge and a more defensive mind set to compete with the strong clubs and win finals football in the future. Its a case of having to go backwards to move forward. Whilst i agree with this, I cant help but think the club has shot itself in the foot. All reports say that the club is struggling to attract fringe players from other clubs. Or any players for that matter.

I do not want this to turn into a 'I hate Neeld' discussion, but the un attractive style of football we have played, and the word out being the FD dept is in disarray due to and many players not 'buying in' to the new 'Culture' and Elite Performance', IMO opinion has contibuted to club being 'off limits' to the rest of the competition.

Has the FD's style worked against the club this trade and FA period? My opinion is yes.

At the end of last season most supporters had alot of hope the club would be on its way to be 'the hardest club to play against'. The hope extended to moving forward (or backwards) with signs the club is on the right direction. I think Mitch Clark bought into this and came to us as a result. Now the club looks like it has gone bacwards with 5 years wasted with its recruiting and development. Either way, the club cant attract new players as a result. this new build is massively important and with all the issues this year, we are struggling just as much off field with most players (inside and out of the club) not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I can see the 'In Neeld I trust' poster come into bat for the club. I trust Neeld too, but is the process the right way to go. This I question

You probably picked the wrong day to start a naysayer thread.

I don't think we will know the sum total of recruiting until the end of the draft/trade period but so far (and it is very early days), this is an area in which Neeld's team has excelled, both last year and this year.

• Like 5

Its been a looong year of this type of feeling.

Today I feel good about the club and the way they're going and I just want to enjoy that for a while.

Wait until we're on a losing streak next year and then we can get back into all of this. If its true Neeld wont last long....but Viney and Hogan will.

If the gist of your OP that players are unwilling to come to the club because of Neeld's attempt to change the club culture and make the playing group fitter and or defensively accountable then I disagree.

And if we are losing players that aren't buying in or not attracting those who will buy in then it is step one in cleansing the list.

As Rhino and others allude to, I don't deny that we are not a particularly attractive destination, but it is because our image has taken such a beating through many years of mediocrity and being poorly managed and coached.

It will take Craig, Neeld and others soe tie to begin to undo the damage.

• Like 7

If these or any other group of players cannot "buy in" to a winning mindset and all that goes with it, then there is no hope for them.

Do they think they'll have it easier at another club? Shepparton East thirds, perhaps. Show up if you feel like it and a sausage sizzle every Thursday.

If the club is not on the right track, it's not far off it. And a hell of a lot closer than we were before.

You and I have no choice but to back Neeld, otherwise we too are undermining him and the club.

Go Demons!

• Like 3

We have struggled to get name players to join the Club for the past six years or so. It not specifically to do with Neeld. But our football this year is hardly a good enticement for an AFL player looking for a positive change of scenery in the AFL.

We have been the butt of all jokes for a long time.

The way we have gone about our resurrection of a totally dysfunctional club since "186" must be admired.

The plan has obviously been to set training, performance and off field behavioural criteria

If these cannot be met you are on the not required list.

A list of types of players if not the names of players were targeted as must gets.

People keep saying that we are basket cases because so many players are wanting to walk.

The truth is these players are running before they are de-listed.

At this stage we have Byrne & Viney with the possible listing of a few others which I wont mention because all is just rumour until signed.

let's just say that in the last 18 months Melbourne have been the most Proactive I can remember in a long time.

So to answer your thread.

No we have not shot ourselves in the foot.

• Like 2

The Win Loss record shows we have had a poor year but the way the boys improved in their effort and intensity as the season progressed is what I wanted to see. I saw signs of a Football style that builds resiliency to pressure and returns or exerts pressure back on to teams where previously we shut up shop. Players continued to work hard and get the concept that they need to work with each other and for each other. Those little steps are the first in a very long, slow and meticulous return to form and better performances.

FWIW I think MFC had shot itself in the foot a few seasons back but its taken us this long to get off the crutches.

• Like 1

We have been the butt of all jokes for a long time.

The way we have gone about our resurrection of a totally dysfunctional club since "186" must be admired.

We still are. I strongly doubt there is much admiration outside a few red and blue die hards since 186. We havent resurrected anything as yet. Since 186, our on field performance has been appalling,

People keep saying that we are basket cases because so many players are wanting to walk.

The truth is these players are running before they are de-listed.

Which people have said that?

We have been a basket case on field because we lack talent and off field because we have mismanaged a number of key issues.

Which players aside from the FAs have "run" yet. The truth is none.

If the gist of your OP that players are unwilling to come to the club because of Neeld's attempt to change the club culture and make the playing group fitter and or defensively accountable then I disagree.

And if we are losing players that aren't buying in or not attracting those who will buy in then it is step one in cleansing the list.

Anyone who doesn't want to buy in because its all too hard isn't going to take us anywhere. We certainly went a long way with this type of player before didn't we
  • Like 2

How many players are attracted to the other clubs? We were interested in a bloke who wants to go to W.A (Wellingham) and were interested in a unproven kid (caddy) who thinks he is gary ablett. Knobs like Denham take it and times it by a million. Don't get sucked in by morons who have an axe to grind.

• Like 4

I have read on this forum countless times that the club needed a harder edge and a more defensive mind set to compete with the strong clubs and win finals football in the future. Its a case of having to go backwards to move forward. Whilst i agree with this, I cant help but think the club has shot itself in the foot. All reports say that the club is struggling to attract fringe players from other clubs. Or any players for that matter.

I do not want this to turn into a 'I hate Neeld' discussion, but the un attractive style of football we have played, and the word out being the FD dept is in disarray due to and many players not 'buying in' to the new 'Culture' and Elite Performance', IMO opinion has contibuted to club being 'off limits' to the rest of the competition.

Has the FD's style worked against the club this trade and FA period? My opinion is yes.

At the end of last season most supporters had alot of hope the club would be on its way to be 'the hardest club to play against'. The hope extended to moving forward (or backwards) with signs the club is on the right direction. I think Mitch Clark bought into this and came to us as a result. Now the club looks like it has gone bacwards with 5 years wasted with its recruiting and development. Either way, the club cant attract new players as a result. this new build is massively important and with all the issues this year, we are struggling just as much off field with most players (inside and out of the club) not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I can see the 'In Neeld I trust' poster come into bat for the club. I trust Neeld too, but is the process the right way to go. This I question

You must be joking. Have you heard any of the news today? It's been a really positive step in the right direction and this is the best you can come up with.

• Like 2

Shot ourselves in the foot? We've blown our feet off! One can only hope that Dr. Neeld proves himself either a master of orthotics or transplants in the next 12 months or so. Otherwise he will need to be transplanted.

Where is the optimism? You should change your name to Bitter but Twisted. Give it a rest!

• Like 1

I guess you have to look at the context of defensive, is that defensive like the swans lock it in, ball up, lock it in, ball up, or defensive like Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood i.e. if the opposition gets the ball they better get ready to be tackled. Melbourne for me plays too much zoned football looking for easy kicks, and dont trust each other enough to kick to a contest, so we kick across goals, turn it over and go down another goal. I would like to see a competitive melbourne not giving an inch, i.e. no easy kick ins around the boundary, seen footscray run it from kick in down for a goal too many times without a melbourne player getting a touch. Neeld's sentiment is excellent just need to make sure the game plan is our own using the strengths of our players and not just a carbon copy of Collingwoods.

• Like 1

Geezzzz There is no pleasing some people.

Sure we cant be too self satisfied but today's news is the best we have had in many a long year.

Suck it up and enjoy it......unless you would rather wallow in the misery of the past few seasons forever.

• Like 1

Some ppl are very funny. To question is not about being negative. Today has been a great day for the club.

Viney with the second round is exactly what the club needed. He is a steal at this price!!!!!

The idea of getting Hogan for pick 3 (tops, no pick 13 included) seems positive. Very few would know know the exact impact of this as most have not seen him play.

Brynes is a positive as he will play a role the club desperately needs.

I'm un decided on Dawes. He knows Neeld personaly, so i dont see him as a player defecting as a player who does not know Neeld. Everyone outside of Collingwood who matters does not want to come to the club. Even Wellingham who is from Collingwood does not want to come to us.

Caddy

Boak

Wellingham

I have not heard anything from Stevens. The club has not mentioned him.

Etc

Ect

Dont get me wrong. The club is playing its strong position in the draft well. But only Dawes seems a reality.

Life is not black or white. Its shades of ppl

You needed Emma's tweets to tell you that ?

What club near the bottom of the ladder attracts aspirational players ? Collingwood famously couldn't get anyone to go to them for a decade. Success breeds success.

I respect Emma. Its her tweet, plus other things. As I said. its not black or white, its shades of!!!!

No you are completely wrong.....it has nothing to do with Neeld or buy in, and everything to do with us only winning 4 games last year.

Its only Wellingham and Caddy who have reportedly said they didnt want to come to melbourne, but thats because Wellingham wants to go home to West Coast and Caddy wants to play for a successfull team like Geelong or Carlton...i dont care...good luck to them.

Im confident in the type of Players we are drafting and the future direction of the club under Neeld.

• Like 3

You needed Emma's tweets to tell you that ?

What club near the bottom of the ladder attracts aspirational players ? Collingwood famously couldn't get anyone to go to them for a decade. Success breeds success.

We haven't as yet missed anyone. We went hard and got Clark last year and I realiise money had its part to play. I can't buy into the we're crap no wants to play for us thing. Maybe I'm too one eyed but surely we can sell the club to 20 something year olds. We play at the MCG, have a strong FD, can pay well, train at first class facilities and have upside in our list (this draft period being more than important)

Yes there is a problem with us being able to attract players. No it has nothing to do with Neeld, "buy-in", attractiveness of our game plan, difficulty of our training sessions.

I'll give you a hint. It has to do with no finals since 2006, 16th in 2012 and a perception that we are still a few years off playing finals let alone ever challenging for a flag.

If you had a choice would you rather go to Port Adelaide or Adelaide? Bulldogs or Geelong? These guys have no allegiance to MFC so a choice between us and North, Geelong, WCE or Freo is a pretty easy choice for them to make. Despite this I am hoping that this time next year will be a different story.

Exactly.

• Like 1