Melbourne's war chest

GIRO

What's happening?? the only player we have gotten is Shannon Byrnes who would have gone to anyone who would have given him a contact and said so in his demon interview. Melbourne keep asking for handouts but deliver nothing but an average player who would go ANYWHERE and they better take Viney and be active in the trade period otherwise its the bottom 4 again for us in 2013 it's time to climb the ladder

• Like 1

What's happening?? the only player we have gotten is Shannon Byrnes who would have gone to anyone who would have given him a contact and said so in his demon interview. Melbourne keep asking for handouts but deliver nothing but an average player who would go ANYWHERE and they better take Viney and be active in the trade period otherwise its the bottom 4 again for us in 2013 it's time to climb the ladder

Yeah if I was one of the wealthy members who has donated bucket loads of money to the club I would be quite concerned with the clubs movements at the moment.

Stepping stones Giro. As we move along the path, they'll want to hop onboard.

the whole AFL must be wondering whats going on here, but it's necessary.

It'll change. Players haven't wanted to come over for a looong time.

Stepping stones.

Maybe you should just wait till the end of the month befor you start these types of threads.

YULil is right, it's only day 4 of a very long month and with threads like this one it's only going to make it longer.

A while to go till trade period is over. And there may be surprises. But I wonder the buoyancy of the so called war chest considering we had a very bad year and general revenue will be down and likely a substantial loss is on the cards.

Yeah if I was one of the wealthy members who has donated bucket loads of money to the club I would be quite concerned with the clubs movements at the moment.

All the big name free agents have gone to clubs who are much closer to winning a flag & those players have yet to taste a premiership eg Goddard.

Put yourself in their shoes who would you pick? Not bagging the club just reality

Id rather have a crack a Dawes 24 & not pay a fortune than pay over the odds for Lynch who is 30

Lets not forget the Swans list 3 players under pick 20.......Culture

Edited by dees64

Day 4 The MFC draft a 2 time premiership player who cost us very little.

Good start.

It's only Day 4

It was only Day 1... Then it was only Day 2... Now it's only Day 4... This period doesn't last forever, and the more players that are signed to other clubs the less we have to choose from.

It's seeming more like a bully's piggy bank than a war chest so far...

• Like 1

All the big name free agents have gone to clubs who are much closer to winning a flag & those players have yet to taste a premiership eg Goddard.

Put yourself in their shoes who would you pick? Not bagging the club just reality

Id rather have a crack a Dawes 24 & not pay a fortune than pay over the odds for Lynch who is 30

Lets not forget the Swans list 3 players under pick 20.......Culture

Not so sure that the Bummers are any closer to a flag than the Aints. They are closer than us, however, but still not really in the ball park of top 4, which is where a team must be to win the GF. Goddard went for money, lets face it. Good luck to him.

Your comment on Dawes is very valid.

We are trying to improve.

That's what this is.

I am starting to really hate the attitude of some Melbourne supporters more than usual.

We are not endangering our picks that will get us high-end talent, we are trying to cheaply improve our team.

I just don't get it.

You guys tell me why Byrnes is such a bad signing.

You explain that to me.

Convince me.

That's what this is.

I am starting to really hate the attitude of some Melbourne supporters more than usual.

We are not endangering our picks that will get us high-end talent, we are trying to cheaply improve our team.

I just don't get it.

You explain that to me.

Convince me.

Don't think anyone is bagging the Byrnes signing... (are they?!)

But think about how much rumor and hype there has been about each signing that has happened, Byrnes was the ONLY one for us and it looks like he will be the only free agent we sign when you look at the current rumour/hype etc.

Other teams with less cap room available are picking up players, we've made one decent pick up, but hardly seems like we're digging into the "war chest".

Just speaking on my own behalf, I'm just annoyed about all the huff and puff only for not much to happen in the FA period for us, because if any club needs to be active about FA's it's US!

• Like 1

That's what this is.

I just don't get it.

You explain that to me.

Convince me.

Well Byrnes may surprise us. Which I will be delighted with if he does. But at this stage he is in the "fish John West rejects" category . So who are we going to land with the War Chest? Who coined this moniker anyway? Sounds straight out of the Schwab encyclopaedia of spin.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

I thought it was straight out of the Eddie encyclopedia of ridiculously OTT hyperbole.

How come many are now trying to distance themselves from the "war chest"? It was flavour of the month and a few more for most part of this year.

• Like 1

You explain that to me.

Convince me.

I've explained that in the Byrnes thread with statistics to back my argument up from a football production perspective (even mentioned alternatives in Ben Ross, Banfield; younger types) ....but I was deserted - I dearly hope I'm wrong though rpfc. If its a small improvement, that he can fill a role, importantly be productive on field, remain injury free and yes, provide some knowledge to young leaders for 2 years it will be a successful FA get.

It is concerning that we've been spouting all year about how we have the cap space and the money in the bank to be a player in the off-season only to find out that nobody wants to even talk to us when we get here. Schwab & McLardy are the ones who used this term "war chest" so you'll forgive the members if they sit here a little perplexed now that it seems the only players we look like landing are a small forward who couldn't crack the seniors in a team that finished 6th and a 2nd tall forward who has been all but pushed out of his original club after a mediocre year at best. Neither of these seem particularly thrilled to come here either.

It is only day 4 but as other deals are made and rumours about trades surface it is obvious we will be lucky to land a decent player and probably no one other than Byrnes & Dawes.

• Like 1