3 Years for Jamar and McKenzie - seriously?

Watts Jurrah Dunn?

Jamar - one dimensional ruck man who has had one terrific season in 9 years at the club. He has struggled with injury this year and is already looking so slow. Doesn't offer anything once the ball hits the ground, and can't rest forward.

McKenzie - an absolute battler who tries his heart out but can't kick over a jam tin and can't run out of sight - two pretty important elements in modern football.

What on earth was our 'wonderful' new football department thinking giving these blokes three years each? I understand they're both great guys but surely 2 years would have been more than enough. When you combine these decisions with the FD's obsession with blokes like Bail, you really have to wonder what's going on at this club.

• Like 5

I personally think mckenzie is a gun. Tough nut, hard ball getter.

He is currently been asked to do a tag role on key players, hence why you all think he is rubbish.

Maybe 3 years for jamar might be a bit much, but we sign him for 3 years so that he doesn't walk free agent.

Plenty of clubs would dive on mark if he were available.

Yes he hasn't been flash this year, i would suggest he has had a rough run with injuries, hopefully he can move on and get a good pre season.

garland, Im also a fan. couldn't say a bad word about him.

• Like 2

Admittedly, McKenzie is a very limited player with ball in hand but in the early stages of the season he was regularly subduing the oppositions best player and would be right up with the B+F voting early on. Going forward that will be his role as well as being a factor in contested ball situations. He hasnt had a preseason from memory, so there is a bit of upside with him. He's never going to be flashy and his distribution will always be iffy, but he's potentially one of the better shutdown midfielders going around - just needs some class around him to offset his limited offensive skills.

Admittedly, McKenzie is a very limited player with ball in hand but in the early stages of the season he was regularly subduing the oppositions best player and would be right up with the B+F voting early on. Going forward that will be his role as well as being a factor in contested ball situations. He hasnt had a preseason from memory, so there is a bit of upside with him. He's never going to be flashy and his distribution will always be iffy, but he's potentially one of the better shutdown midfielders going around - just needs some class around him to offset his limited offensive skills.

And a big strong body that comes from working with an experienced conditioning team utilizing descend facilities.

My god we are runts.

Wasn't all that long ago everyone thought Jones was a battler and nothing more. Jordie I have no issue with us giving him 3 years, I think he can develop into a tagger that can extract the ball and hopefully develop his kicking.

Jamar I'm not as comfortable about. I like the idea of us treating older players with respect and wanting him to stay at the club post-career but I think he would've been happy with two years, and I think that would've been fair. It wouldn't surprise me if he retires before his 3rd year, injuries are already taking their toll.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if Russian is on the vets list? If so, his contract doesn't fall under the salary cap and it makes sense to sign him for 3 rather than letting him walk as an UFA...

Thats not how the vets list works. If he's a vet $100K is outside the salary cap and I'm pretty sure he still takes up a spot on our senior list,

What on earth is going on? I had Jordy as close to being delist material!! One dimensional yep tagger, yep, limited skills set, Yep, and we offer three years????

WTF is going on. Can just see our electrifying midfield next year, Jordy, Chunky,( really the only mid of anything approaching class) and that hybrid bruiser, Cale the whale!

And we play hardball with Moloney?!?! I wonder how much a membership at Geelong is next year?

Jamar has had one good season 2 years ago and a bunch of average ones throughout his career. Not sure what we're paying him but 3 years is excessive. Despite the quantity on our list we do have a dearth of quality rucls on our list. Martin, Fitzpatrick, Spencer don't excite and Gawn is injury-stricken so may never come on. We probably could have gone with Martin as a cheaper younger option and offered Jamar one year with two at the most. He is a one trick pony and that trick has been mitigated in the last two seasons where his tap work has been rubbish. He wins the hitouts and they go nowhere or are sharked by the opposition. He can't go forward, doesn't drop back, is only a decent not great marking target across half back and can't kick instead handballing at every opportunity. Not a big fan.

McKenzie I'm not too fussed with. Is a very good tagger but again is one dimensional. Can't fault his endeavour but his talent leaves a lot to be desired. Someone cmopared him to Jones above but that is rubbish, McKenzie will never have the talent Jones has, will never be a goalkicker or someone who can deliver the ball one our forwards chest. Not fussed with three years for him but he will never be more than a one dimensional tagger.

Sadly - given the club's track record - the answer to that question is not necessarily 'yes'.

Be that as it may Rover, I always find it hilarious when people make those what would the club know? *I* say we should do this! posts. Everyone's an expert.

I'm all for discussing the merits of various decisions. I'm even all for discussing this topic. But I reserve the right to ridicule anyone who carries on like they know more on the topic than the club does.

• Like 1

Any danger it could be your assessment at fault and not the club's? Just putting it out there...

Happy to entertain. Let me put is this way. If the club sees fit to offer a 3 year deal for a tagger no more no less ( and look Jordy has made the most of humble abilities) then I would seriously have to question the path we are taking!!