One thing I don't want to see is Junior trying to stick up for $cully and trading blows with his old team mates

Why not?

It would be weak of him if he didn't stick up for his team mates.

I expect him to being an on field leader/coach.

One thing I've been trying to decide on is who we send Jordie Mac to? Most side's have their "guy" that a tagger gravitates towards, I would argue to a certain extent Beamer would be ours, if he has a day out on Sunday we will win big.

Who do we tag? Wards the only one I can think of.

And how will Sheeds/Williams play Scully?

Agreed. GWS will see this as winnable & play it like a grand final. That it's their 1st ever MCG match & $cullygate will inspire them to make even more of a statement. My 2 cents is they'll go hell for leather & the betting odds should be about even instead of us at $1.30 GWS $3.55

No way the odds should be even, jeez if i saw the dees at 1.90 i'd throw the house at 'em (well probably not, its not mine). That said a wet slippery day and the Giants fired up, the line could be a good bet. GWS have been a great cash cow this year, super reliable in terms of making their line.

Edited by binman

Thought of bumping the Training Load thread or creating a new one but there seems to be so many new threads of late that it is hard to keep up or keep across stuff. I'll put my thoughts here instead:

Season 2012/13 starts this week

I reckon this one of the most important matches for the dees for a long time. If my theory is correct about them training them super hard them on the track for the first half of the season, easing up in the second half and getting some wins to move forward with, we should see the proof on Sunday. I think we have some evidence already of the team being fresher in the last couple of games before the bye with us winning (remarkably) our first second half quarters for the season. We definitely looked fresher than Collingwood, you could really see it, meaning they (the dees) probably actually eased up 3-4 weeks ago.

I suspect they will have planned the training load so they are close to cherry ripe for this game. They will have heaps of time into working out how to ensure they come out of the bye in tip-top mental shape (which has been a problem for many clubs after a bye, at least last year, seems to be less of an issue this year). Fascinating timing of the team bonding trip to Torquay ie before the Collingwood game rather than during the bye break.

Of course this isn't their grand final but there is no way on gods good earth that club will accept a loss here (and this has nothing at all to do with Scully). For the first time we will play a side that is physically weaker than us in the midfield and I expect us to absolutely smash in. I wonder if that's why Bate has been brought in to the squad - to maximise our muscle and strength advantage. I expect him to play.

I also expect Maloney to have his best game for the year. Happy for him to be a flat track bully this week. Spewing Tappy is out as no doubt he is. McKenzie to go with Ward and wear him like a glove. Frawley to monster Cameron. I also reckon they'll pick Davey, a wet day and we will desperately need someone to crumb under Clark's feet (hasn't he been crashing packs - love his DeetV highlights package).

I have posted before that there is a really strong sense of unity coming from the club and that perhaps the air has been cleared, some issues dealt with and Neeld may have slightly tweaked his approach. The players are playing form and the talk from everyone is much more inclusive.

We will be focused on this game and i have no doubt we will come to play. The first 20 minutes will be very instructive. The rain will help our cause and the GWS will come out of the game knowing they have played an AFL game. Worth noting that they played in really heavy conditions last week, played super well (though the tigers were definitely limping towards the bye and played accordingly) but it will have taken a bit out of them. to have to back that up with a trip to Melbourne and more tough conditions will be hard work for a young team.

Huge game and i will be devastated if we lose. The pre season has finally finished at the 2012/13 season starts on Sunday. J Riv said as much.

Go dees. Smash them

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

Thought of bumping the Training Load thread or creating a new one but there seems to be so many new threads of late that it is hard to keep up or keep across stuff. I'll put my thoughts here instead:

Season 2012/13 starts this week

I reckon this one of the most important matches for the dees for a long time. If my theory is correct about them training them super hard them on the track for the first half of the season, easing up in the second half and getting some wins to move forward with, we should see the proof on Sunday. I think we have some evidence already of the team being fresher in the last couple of games before the bye with us winning (remarkably) our first second half quarters for the season. We definitely looked fresher than Collingwood, you could really see it, meaning they (the dees) probably actually eased up 3-4 weeks ago.

I suspect they will have planned the training load so they are close to cherry ripe for this game. They will have heaps of time into working out how to ensure they come out of the bye in tip-top mental shape (which has been a problem for many clubs after a bye, at least last year, seems to be less of an issue this year). Fascinating timing of the team bonding trip to Torquay ie before the Collingwood game rather than during the bye break.

Of course this isn't their grand final but there is no way on gods good earth that club will accept a loss here (and this has nothing at all to do with Scully). For the first time we will play a side that is physically weaker than us in the midfield and I expect us to absolutely smash in. I wonder if that's why Bate has been brought in to the squad - to maximise our muscle and strength advantage. I expect him to play.

I also expect Maloney to have his best game for the year. Happy for him to be a flat track bully this week. Spewing Tappy is out as no doubt he is. McKenzie to go with Ward and wear him like a glove. Frawley to monster Cameron. I also reckon they'll pick Davey, a wet day and we will desperately need someone to crumb under Clark's feet (hasn't he been crashing packs - love his DeetV highlights package).

I have posted before that there is a really strong sense of unity coming from the club and that perhaps the air has been cleared, some issues dealt with and Neeld may have slightly tweaked his approach. The players are playing form and the talk from everyone is much more inclusive.

We will be focused on this game and i have no doubt we will come to play. The first 20 minutes will be very instructive. The rain will help our cause and the GWS will come out of the game knowing they have played an AFL game. Worth noting that they played in really heavy conditions last week, played super well (though the tigers were definitely limping towards the bye and played accordingly) but it will have taken a bit out of them. to have to back that up with a trip to Melbourne and more tough conditions will be hard work for a young team.

Huge game and i will be devastated if we lose. The pre season has finally finished at the 2012/13 season starts on Sunday. J Riv said as much.

Go dees. Smash them

I kinda hope that after we get this game out of the way we play the kids for the rest of the year so we can have a look at how they go in the real stuff, just a learning program, even if its 4 games each staggered around. I'd love to see Couch, Cook, Davis, Gysberts, Sheahan, Taggert, Fitzpatrick, Strauss, Josh Tynan, I believe that we have some real talent in these players, just hope they get a go.

• Like 2

10 goal win this weekend.

They were very very very lucky to get close to richmond.

They were smashed in inside 50s 66-35

Richmond kicked 11.20 to GWS 12.2

Those KPI's and obviously others indicate that GWS should have been destroyed but it was just one of those days.

Melbournes last 3 matches have been great because of the improvement we have shown. Fresh from the bye and with the feeling that MFC have seen this coming for a while and would have said 'do not lose at any cost' I think the MIGHTY DEES will win by 10 goals.

Edited by Jonesbag
  • Like 1

We have to win and win well simply for our credibility as an AFL club. BTW Melbourne for the halftime / fulltime double is not a bad bet at aroung $1.50.

Better would be wire to wire. Not sure what the odds are but likely to be around $2. I am super hopeful (expect is too strong a word unfortunately) we will jump out hard and go on with it.

I doubt though we will smash them as conditions will make scoring difficult and our percentage suggest a team that struggles to get big scores (though the number of goals we got against Coll was positive).

That said just checked the line and it is 27.5. I expected it to be longer to be honest.

Edited by binman

Final Side - In: Bail, Bate, Davey, Macdonald. Out: Green, Tapscott, Blease, Morton,

With those ins, you could be excused for thinking we are going for an almighty tank this week.

I reckon it's just swapping small bodies for big bodies to make it hard for the GWS children

Final Side - In: Bail, Bate, Davey, Macdonald. Out: Green, Tapscott, Blease, Morton,

With those ins, you could be excused for thinking we are going for an almighty tank this week.

Thinking along similar lines are we looking back or looking forward.

Ok.. Im not normally so silly as to predict how a game might go or teams line up for whats published is often more suited to wrapping fush n chups than any real guide to how combatants will engage. .

I do expect to win this game but not simply because they are rubbish.. . they might be inexperienced but hey arent rubbish.....they're just green as it were.

Id almost say they have more ability ( more as potential ) in the midfield than we do. We have exeperince on our side and this ought to prove the evener if not the telling factor come the premiership qtr and the 'end game'.

GWS have a good defender in Mohr.. I wish we had him actually. que sera sera...whens his paperwork up at Balcktown ?? lol

I digress. I dont think they will have enough bods to cover all of our avenues to goal. Good luck ( or rather not ) Sheedy in containing Mitch.. Our old nemesis in Sylvia migt actually play a part on Sunday if he can be bothered..He likes space and if he is afforded some largesse to not only provide defensive pressure but create headaches he might just do that. He's due for a day earning his keep.

Im not actually sure how Dunn got this gig . His cameos have been good but theres more to a game than "moments" . I have a suspicion Neeld is playing the old height game. Too much tallish timber for us to be easily countered by the minnows. Dunn can be a bit of a two pot thug and he might just revel in knocking a kid or two. . GWS have no real answer for Howe. Not many clubs will ( as he gets more seasoned and accomplished ). Garland if indeed he plays forward will just make the water murkier still for Sheedy/Williams. Bad luck for them. What they lack for in experience GWS they make upfor with pluck and endeavor.Lets not dismiss this lotout of hand.

The Toiges, and god knows what they were playing at , allowed the Giants too much freedom at goal. We wont accord them thi sas Im sure Chippa will organise his dour lot to make life hell for the lighter weighted GWS forwards..

Patton had a day out. He wont get two, but hes a handful. Beamer hasnt really fired much this year but the "relaunch" as described by Rivers in to the second half might be just what the doctor ordered for Moloney. Slate clean..time to step up. If Jones ( whom i suspect will be pivotal in thsi game ) can feed his partners in crime in Grimes and Beamer then we can surely load up into the forward 50. Sheers weight of numbers ought to provide scoreboard pressure here. I dont expect a cake walk but I dont expect then to be able to withstand 4 qtrs of it either.

This will be the key..running out the game. Here I predict the like of Watts and Tommy Mac to play a part.Their engines ( and Jackie boys IS improving btw ) will give rebound spring well into the second half creating an absolute nuisance for the GWS defenders.

I expect Sellars and Chippa to be miserly. Im waiting for Nicho to have a pearler. This might be it.

Like any game its very much about matchups. With the likes of Watts, Garland, and now Rivers to play either end I excpect the Demon brainstrust to keep Sheedy busy with positional moves.

Im hoping its the Bail of old that turns up to play. His good decision making and poise will be a bonus.

Im seriously looking at a 50 point plus win...but not without a fight.

Trenners has been flat of late. I think he has something of a personal interest in this game to prove... Who really deserved to be No !

Im sure Sheedy is hoping Scummy will step up for this game... Im thinking he will have a stinker......all those footsteps Tommy....can you hear them ????

Go Dees

edit: Just noticed Davey in final side. Ive just got a feeling in my waters I do , lol, that he might be a trump card in this game.. Hes not so quick but hes accurate and still good value ( on his day ) at either squaring up the half back line or pouncing on any crumbs on the half forward line. He DOES have very good vision. Can you hear me Col ??

Edited by belzebub59

So far so good in terms of my predictions. No way is this evidence of tanking. Quite the contrary - Blease and Morton wouldn't bruise a peach and we will be looking to do some serious bruising.

Not happy with the final team. Davey and Joel Mac in the side, Blease and Davis as emergencies. We have two older players who are very limited in what they can do getting a game over two young players with the potential to be far more. On top of that, when will we have a better opportunity to debut Davis? Surely this is a game where he will be reasonably comfortable with his ability to hold his own with whoever we play him on? A huge opportunity thrown away here.

• Like 2

Not happy with the final team. Davey and Joel Mac in the side, Blease and Davis as emergencies. We have two older players who are very limited in what they can do getting a game over two young players with the potential to be far more. On top of that, when will we have a better opportunity to debut Davis? Surely this is a game where he will be reasonably comfortable with his ability to hold his own with whoever we play him on? A huge opportunity thrown away here.

hardly...

There will come manygames latter in the season where debuts can happen , where a result isnt so much in the balance..

I trust Neeld to make appropriate choices dependent upon need and resources.

its not just players v players here..... itc coach v coach. Neeld i would imagine would like to retain the ability to put out spot fires. He might also want to light a few.

Ive no problem with Davey and Mac in the side. was kinda hoping Aaron might get a gig to show whether hes still a playe ror not. And this is as much about what thi sgame is for some players as anything. Neeld is still watcing and learning about the players. He has some serious imput to decisions latter this year come seasons end.

hardly...

There will come manygames latter in the season where debuts can happen , where a result isnt so much in the balance..

I trust Neeld to make appropriate choices dependent upon need and resources.

its not just players v players here..... itc coach v coach. Neeld i would imagine would like to retain the ability to put out spot fires. He might also want to light a few.

Ive no problem with Davey and Mac in the side. was kinda hoping Aaron might get a gig to show whether hes still a playe ror not. And this is as much about what thi sgame is for some players as anything. Neeld is still watcing and learning about the players. He has some serious imput to decisions latter this year come seasons end.

I said in another thread i really hope to see Couch, Tynan, Taggert, Cook, Davis, Sheahan, Fitzpatrick, and the Gys back. Get this game out of the way and play some kids. I think these boys really do have some potential.

I really hope we wont lose this weekend....please tell me we wont!!!

Neelds not about to throw babies out with bath water. Hes not about to take any game too lightly either, esp as he hasnt a lot of points on teh baord as yet. . Neeld wants to win this one, almost as much as he darent lose it. Not a game for chances, of any kind. Plenty of those to come...imho

• Like 2

If gws wanted to, they could talk any mfc player (ie blease) into walking out and putting there name in for pre season draft with the guarantee of a free player couldnt they ?

Unfortunate, but good to see Blease get dropped - hard for him, he wasn't bad at all last game I thought, but it sends a message. Same for Cale - not the worst, in spite of his regulation couple of disasters, but the message is strong and clear.

Davey has worked hard at Casey, playing two very good games, he deserves a chance (at least). Joel Mac will at least give a solid contest. But suspect that we're after older bodies to put in against the GWS kids.

What message exactly are we sending Blease? You are right he wasn't that bad. In fact he provides some speed which we are sadly lacking. I will never understand why we keep playing MacDonald. We know what he offers and it simply is not enough for the future. Throw in Bate and we are slower again.

Davis should have got a look in - what better opportunity.

Really disappointed.