Just how good will Nic Naitanui become?

Range Rover

It's lucky his name is not Morton or people would be lamenting his poor kicking skills.

Hardly ever hits a target, coughs up the ball on numerous occasions.

But does it with great flamboyance

Edited by Mgdee
  • Like 3

Gee, RR you sure have a crush on Nik Nat. Is it his wonderful hairstyle that woos you?

I do like the dreads and superhuman physical attributes I must admit, but mostly what wood me is his attack on the pill and ever increasing ability to influence games of footy.

I do like the dreads and superhuman physical attributes I must admit, but mostly what wood me is his attack on the pill and ever increasing ability to influence games of footy.

Fair enough, each to his own. Have you had a look in your own backyard though RR? There is a bloke called Howe. I live in Perth and hear my tennis mates rave on about him. 'Gee, I wish he was with the Eagles(or the Dockers)" Yet we don't consider him a superstar do we? At least not yet. Looking at highlights of both players you would say in a loud voice,'SUPERSTAR!' but we both know that a more consistent effort by young Jeremy is still needed. IMO the same applies to big NN.

• Like 1

Fair enough, each to his own. Have you had a look in your own backyard though RR? There is a bloke called Howe. I live in Perth and hear my tennis mates rave on about him. 'Gee, I wish he was with the Eagles(or the Dockers)" Yet we don't consider him a superstar do we? At least not yet. Looking at highlights of both players you would say in a loud voice,'SUPERSTAR!' but we both know that a more consistent effort by young Jeremy is still needed. IMO the same applies to big NN.

Fair enough Bob. I do loves me some Jezza Howe as well. People were a bit quick to label him the 'next Robbo' I reckon. He has the attributes to be a much more rounded a player than that. Still lots of work to do, though.

Fair enough Bob. I do loves me some Jezza Howe as well. People were a bit quick to label him the 'next Robbo' I reckon. He has the attributes to be a much more rounded a player than that. Still lots of work to do, though.

No man is an island unless of course that man is Lord Howe. Love the work of all of those guys, dreads or not... Lord Howe, LJ, Dahlhaus, Side Show Bob, Eddie "pants" Betts, Buddy, etc... they are what make this great game worth watching.

No man is an island unless of course that man is Lord Howe. Love the work of all of those guys, dreads or not... Lord Howe, LJ, Dahlhaus, Side Show Bob, Eddie "pants" Betts, Buddy, etc... they are what make this great game worth watching.

Side show Bob...hahaha what an actor he is.

jaded watts is very soft. not saying he is a [censored] footballer but [censored] me he is soft! time to take off the rose coloured glasses

You totally missed my point.

I never said Watts has no deficiencies he has to work on, of course it does, but nobody ever talks about NicNat's deficiencies. Nobody ever discusses just how poor his skills are, or how he lacks a footy brain. We just gush and pee our pants in excitement because he knocks a ball into space, but we don't afford the same platitudes to Watts when deserved. I really don't understand where this stupid disparity has come from.

One is unnecessarily praised, the other unnecessarily bagged.

I still maintain that Watts at West Coast would be talked up, but NicNat would barely get a touch in Melbourne and would be labelled a 'drafting mistake'.

• Like 9

I never said Watts has no deficiencies he has to work on, of course it does, but nobody ever talks about NicNat's deficiencies. Nobody ever discusses just how poor his skills are, or how he lacks a footy brain. We just gush and pee our pants in excitement because he knocks a ball into space, but we don't afford the same platitudes to Watts when deserved. I really don't understand where this stupid disparity has come from.

I still maintain that Watts at West Coast would be talked up, but NicNat would barely get a touch in Melbourne and would be labelled a 'drafting mistake'.

You are spot on here Jaded. Beautifully worded.

• Like 1

If Nic Nat was at MFC, half the posters on 'land would have a Nic Nat related avatar and the other half would bemoan our recruiting ("Watts is going to be a star at WC..)

Well said.

And it touches on a point of have skirted around previously - our lack of a decent senior core of players has let down the recruits of the previous 4/5 years - they are constantly asked to do more than their counterparts at other clubs.

The Melbourne Youth False Economy © swallows up every youngster asked to do more than they should be doing as it has this year with Trengove. Martin doesn't have to do what we need Trengove to do.

And it would have swallowed a lost back up ruckman, whose athletic prowess means little if your teammates can't help you by engineering an efficient midfield, and taking the focus off your inability to effect games.

The narrative would be far different for Natanui if he played for Melbourne.

• Like 1

Well said.

And it touches on a point of have skirted around previously - our lack of a decent senior core of players has let down the recruits of the previous 4/5 years - they are constantly asked to do more than their counterparts at other clubs.

The Melbourne Youth False Economy © swallows up every youngster asked to do more than they should be doing as it has this year with Trengove. Martin doesn't have to do what we need Trengove to do.

And it would have swallowed a lost back up ruckman, whose athletic prowess means little if your teammates can't help you by engineering an efficient midfield, and taking the focus off your inability to effect games.

The narrative would be far different for Natanui if he played for Melbourne.

rpfc I agee with you, I have been saying this for two years.

It was not helped by 4 years of recruiting policy that said "only kids" as we systemically got rid of any senior player that was within a few years of the end.

I hate to raise it but Mcdonald was the classic example and he was our captain for gods sake.

Edited by old dee

I really don't have anything to add but heaven forbid we should let the Nic Naitanui obsession peter out.

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

Nic Naitanui

If Nic Nat was at MFC, half the posters on 'land would have a Nic Nat related avatar and the other half would bemoan our recruiting ("Watts is going to be a star at WC..)

I remember driving past training and asking why Jack istead of Nic Nat.The answer I got from one of the coaches was that kids from Perth dont often stay for long without missing home and wanting to go back . so that might be one reason we dont have 7 rucks on our list instead of 6.

I was previously leaning towards him being more a one man highlight reel than a footballer. However watching him this season you can see him now combining footy smarts with his athletic ability. Though it will be interesting to see how he goes without Cox, his tap work is already sublime. Putting it on a silver platter out of the middle all whilst wracking up 19 contested possessions of his own. As a ruck rover he is resetting the mould. Quicker and better below his knees than any big man is entitled. If all of this wasn't enough, his kicking from set shots now looks to be getting better as well.

Those calling him a flash in the pan must not have seen much of him this year cause he is improving all the time. Laughable to suggest he'll never make AA in his career.

All that said, I'm still more than comfortable with Watts as our pick so this isn't about that. NicNat however is going to be a star.

• Like 2

after reading this post, I sat down with a cup of coffee and watched the carlscum and weagles game.. wow I was so NOT impressed..

yer the big Gollywog did a few nice things, but his kicking was woeful.. and he came in and out of the game a bit too much.. ummm

I'd say on form this year Watts has him covered EASY!!!

peace :)

after reading this post, I sat down with a cup of coffee and watched the carlscum and weagles game.. wow I was so NOT impressed..

yer the big Gollywog did a few nice things, but his kicking was woeful.. and he came in and out of the game a bit too much.. ummm

I'd say on form this year Watts has him covered EASY!!!

peace :)

Both Ratten and Worsfold gave him the maximum votes possible ... http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/138914/default.aspx

hmmm Don Cordner using 'gollywog' at a game might get you suspended from the G, got a better term to use?