Jamar wins most of the centre bounce taps but almost always taps it to the opposition. Surely if he is goof enough to win the tap then he is good enough to put it down Moloney, Trengove or McKenzies throat! We were smashed in the middle all day today (except when Clark rucked).

The reason for this is that we have most of our midfielders trying to stop the other teams. Who is actually trying to win the ball? Jones maybe.

Do you think the likes of Swan, Thomas, Beams and Sidebottom are spending all their juice trying to stop McKenzie, Magner, Morton and Moloney? Or do they just get in and win the ball?

Our midfield is putrid. Whenn the game was still slightly in the balance at the start of the 4th quarter, 3 clearances to the Pies in 3 minutes for 3 goals. Game over.

• Like 3

3 more years of Jamar in the ruck makes me want to vomit.

Every time Clark went into the middle we looked better.

People who are bagging Cale have NFI. Sure he had a howler in the 3rd but he was pretty useful today. If only others on our list were as smart.

• Like 3

Watched Swan all day, he was free for about 3 1/2 quarters. I'm at a loss with that one.

Also the first 5 minutes of the last were freaking awful.

Swan is a champion that needs to used as a template for our midfield. Runs hard, supreme fitness, 2nd and 3rd efforts.

• Like 1

Oh look Green - 7 disposals 1 tackle. Sylvia 10 disposals 3 tackles. Moloney 14 disposals 1 tackle. Magner 9 disposals 2 tackles.

Nothing new. Our midfield ( Jones aside ) is crap and we have no small forwards. These two groups in the opposition kill us every week. Did I forget to mention, as I have been doing for over 5 years that we have the worst disposal in the AFL by far. I thought we gifted them 5-6 goals today.

• Like 3

He went back at the end of the 3rd. He had no obvious match up in their forward line apart from maybe Goldsak who Tommy Mac had so it was worth a shot. I must admit it was a strange looking back 6 with Tommy Mac, Nicho, Watts, Sellar and it seemed Morton with Frawley the only constant.

Rivers lined up in the forward line at the start of the 3rd. Made me raise my eyebrows and hoped it didn't backfire.

Edited by mrtwister

We need to identify another midfielder and a "crummer". They hurt us a number of times with those short "a..sed" crummers of theirs. If Nathan Brown doesn't get cited and Tappy does I will go ballistic. What he did to Sylvia was cowardly. I cannot understand how the umpires missed it because it was so blatant especially when a player runs off with a trainer holding his face. I love the hardness in Tappy which is why I love to see Dunn as Sub. He brings a little bit of attitude with him. Tappy will never die wondering that is for sure. I would hate to see him out because I was hoping he would run through the unmentionable. All in all thought the fight back was good. In the first eight games that would have blown to over 100pts.

Based on today's effort. That was Greens last game.

A forward who can't hurt the opposition on the scoreboard just has to go.

• Like 1

Pretty happy with the endevour to come back and not roll over and get thumped by 80+.

Some costly turnovers hurt and some terrible umpiring from both sides.

We looked dangerous at times whilst we were fumbly and overused it at others. Once we inject a bit more midfield class and a small forward we will be better off.

Beaten by the premier team in the comp. today but not disgraced (except 1st quarter and first 5 minutes of fourth).

Morton's turnover sucked so I'll get that out of the way. Mitch Clarke makes me NOT want Cloke as a dee. After today I have changed my mind on this with better and more service Mitch will win a Coleman.Jamar was frustrating the hell out of me today. Because we slow the ball up in the back half we look for a tall target and the Russian should have been running off Jolly all day but he would Jog or sometimes stand still and not lead to the wing and our hit up target was Howe. The only way we could move the ball forward on occasions would depend on Howe taking a screamer. I think we Need Martin back in as a mobile target. Put a fork in green he is done. Whilst he is good Blease sometimes needs to not play champagne footy. Every kick from blease has to be the perfect pass. Sometimes a boot on ball will do if needed. All in all I'm not too upset I can see the wheels turning. GO DEE'S

• Like 2

Four Things I Learnt Today (or re-learnt)

[1] We need a midfield (Swan,Beams,Sidebottom had 110+ possies between them)

[2] Clarke is a better ruckman than Jamar (the Russian needs to get some coaching)

[3] The maggots still don't like us

[4] Did I say we need a midfield

• Like 1

This game must surely put to rest the argument about the game plan changing! It has absolutely, categorically, evolved and/or changed for the better - but now it is time to put a massive amount of time and work into developing the skill levels required to turn this game style into success!

?!

How do you make that intuitive leap?

How has it changed that makes you so happy about the future when they were being coached by the wrong bloke three weeks ago?

You have never explained this. And it gives the players an out for the start of the season and for their lapses.

They slipped back into their shell today and didn't run and spread for 8 minutes in the first and last and it meant 8 goals. When they are bold and want to go and find some 'cheap' footy - we were fine.

There is no change - the players are implementing the game plan and then they go into their shells and we get zero run and spread and get beaten.

• Like 1

We would have lost that game last year by minimum 80 points.

Alot of players learnt in the first quarter what big game football is and now realise how much further they need to come.

Give us two quality mids and we win that game.

That was pretty much my take-away. As game progressed, esp from midway through 2nd quarter, I thought we were a chance, but those missing quality mids made it too much of a hurdle.

I've said it numerous times, but Mark Jamar is either extremely selfish or totally unaware of the basic purpose of an AFL ruckman. He has the skill and strength to get his hand to 90% of centre bounces/throw-ins/throw-ups, but does not seem to grasp the fact that winning the tap is only half the battle. He has got to learn how to tap the ball somewhere other than at his shoelaces.

Also, I am done with Moloney, and Sylvia is about six weeks away from being in the same boat. Sylvia seems to find some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card every year (this year his spinal break has excused him), but in about six weeks (which is about how long he was out for), he'll have totally run out of tickets with me.

PPS, anyone bagging Morton's disposal and calling for him to be dropped has obviously got no idea how to get the best out of young people. "Your disposal inexplicably sucks from time to time, so rather than put it down to nerves or lapses in concentration, I'm going to let you rot in the VFL, where neither nerves or lapses in concentration are an issue. Good luck fixing those problems there, you hack! PS, your mother's ugly!"

• Like 1

3 things that would have made this game better:

1- a first quarter that wasn't as utterly as embarrassing, weak or uncompetitive as it was. Can't win a game with that sort of pathetic start. Unacceptable.

2- If Tappy hit and injured a few more Filth players. Should have hit Fasolo harder.

3- If the umpires could show some sort of consistency. AND USE THE DAMN VIDEO UMPIRING AT APPROPRIATE TIMES!!

• Like 3